Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 45

Thread: NBC's cheap, atrocious coverage

  1. #1
    Rinkside
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    14

    NBC's cheap, atrocious coverage

    I know they like advertisers' money, but this is too much. In the ice dancing, and again tonight in the ladies' SP, NBC shows _one_ skater, and then goes to the bobsled or another sport. An hour or so later, _one_ more skater, and then another sport. At the end of the evening, we get to see a skating program.

    The other fans should be served too, but why can't NBC block the coverage by sport? Bobsled from 8 to 9, luge from 9 to 10, skating from 10 to 11?

    Why don't they? I think it's because figure skating, especially ladies', draws the biggest audience of any winter Olympic sport. If NBC mixes the big draw up with everything else, they get the most viewers for their advertisers -- at the expense of letting their viewers spend the rest of the evening more enjoyably, viewers have to stay close enough to the TV not to miss the FS.

    It's cheap. I'd complain to NBC but they wouldn't care. But if I complain to the advertisers this evening, using the 800 numbers each advertising company has on its web site -- that might work, and we might get better skating coverage next time.

  2. #2
    I like pie. Tonichelle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Kenai, AK
    Posts
    18,728
    because they're trying to give the feeling that it's live

    and because it keeps people watching through the WHOLE NIGHT OF COVERAGE. which means they keep a steady ratings number.

    honestly I don't mind it as I enjoy watching all of the olympic sports

  3. #3
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    626
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle View Post
    because they're trying to give the feeling that it's live

    honestly I don't mind it as I enjoy watching all of the olympic sports
    yep I love this kind of coverage!! same thing happened in BJ2008

  4. #4
    - * - blue_idealist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    2,809
    I wouldn't like it. I'm glad in Canada, they showed the entire womens' short program on Rogers sportsnet, only cutting to other things during ice resurfacing.

  5. #5
    I keep on fallin' for Kwan
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    where the wild things are
    Posts
    343
    Quote Originally Posted by blue_idealist View Post
    I wouldn't like it. I'm glad in Canada, they showed the entire womens' short program on Rogers sportsnet, only cutting to other things during ice resurfacing.
    I watched a live feed of pairs last week, it was a Russian coverage, I think, or some European one, and they showed EVERY SINGLE PAIR. And they cut during Zamboni but they showed EVERYONE. US Coverage? Americans + contenders. That's it. I thought the Estonian pair was really really good looking. Didn't do well but they were adorable. <3

    Every country except US is showing everyone. That's credit to last place people right there. But it's good there's full replays on nbcolympics.com. We even get to see Zamboni.

  6. #6
    Medalist
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    78
    This is somewhat related, but the nbcolympics.com website is the glitchiest, most disorganized, least user-friendly sporting site I've ever seen. I realize that they have an enormous amount of content to post, but the amount of problems I've encountered on the site, especially with the videos, is unacceptable.

  7. #7
    Go marry the quad if you love it so much DesertRoad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    646
    Quote Originally Posted by Lotta View Post
    Every country except US is showing everyone. That's credit to last place people right there. But it's good there's full replays on nbcolympics.com. We even get to see Zamboni.
    The difference is that NBC or any US broadcaster pays through the nose for the right to Olympic coverage. In fact, a substantial part of IOC income comes from American TV networks. So the IOC will keep charging that money, and American networks will keep having to find ways to milk every last possible dime from ads. If they showed us every skater, they wouldn't be able to show ads and they'd go broke(r).

    I'm fine with that. But why do they have to try so hard to shut down any internet feeds showing the whole event? If they're not showing it, why not let someone else show it in a substantially lower quality in a medium that's a lot harder to find. That's just pointless greed.

  8. #8
    Custom Title Gymfan15's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    257
    I know that in Beijing, I was INCREDIBLY impressed with NBC's coverage and the wide amount of variaty that they had available. I do agree though that the worst thing, and the part that kept me from being completley happy, was the fact that NBC blocked US access to internet feeds even for events they weren't showing on TV themselves. If they would let people watch events uninterrupted online I think it would be an incredible boost for them. This is the 21st century; people don't like to be spoonfed their coverage anymore, and especially in the day of social networking, it's extremely irritating not being able to watch the event you want live. Old school TV just isn't working anymore.

    Anyway, I don't think Vancouver's coverage has been as good as Beijing, but that's possibly because there's just less popular sports to go around and the nightly broadcasts are filled up with hours and hours of basically fluff, or stuff that I don't really care to watch. And yet I just can't leave the TV and go hang out somewhere else until the final two skating groups go on, because they show bits and pieces of skaters randomly all night. Urg.

    Anyway, NBC could do MUCH better, and I think as much as they'd hate to do it, they need to make coverage more accessible and customizable to the general US public. We are woefully behind in that respect.

  9. #9
    Rinkside
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    14
    > This is somewhat related, but the nbcolympics.com website is the glitchiest, most
    > disorganized, least user-friendly sporting site I've ever seen.

    They also require install of Microsoft Silverlight, a video plugin, to watch the Olympics feeds. Fine, but I have a 2004 iMac -- nice machine, 17 inch display, fast, good video, lots of RAM -- but too old for Silverlight. So I can't access nbcolympics.com video. NBC might as well say that if you have a TV that's older than five years you can't watch NBC. Eh?

  10. #10
    Go marry the quad if you love it so much DesertRoad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    646
    Quote Originally Posted by Gymfan15 View Post
    Anyway, I don't think Vancouver's coverage has been as good as Beijing, but that's possibly because there's just less popular sports to go around and the nightly broadcasts are filled up with hours and hours of basically fluff, or stuff that I don't really care to watch. And yet I just can't leave the TV and go hang out somewhere else until the final two skating groups go on, because they show bits and pieces of skaters randomly all night. Urg.
    You bring up a good point about the fluff. There have been times when NBC showed fluff, or interviews with people not the least bit affiliated with the Winter Olympics (like Michael Phelps) when there are multiple live events going on! I know they have to pay the piper, but they are doing a horrible job of showing as much live coverage as possible. NBC needs to trust that people enjoy watching live competition. There's a thrill from that no fluff or interview can provide. It's an experience one can share with the world.

    And I hate that NBC airs live events sometimes on a small but significant delay, like 10 minutes. We have the internet now, results are out live. If you can show it live, and you clearly can, why not show it live?

  11. #11
    I like pie. Tonichelle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Kenai, AK
    Posts
    18,728
    the not showing it live is due to the fact that censors need to happen, there are some of us that appreciate it.

  12. #12
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    675
    Surprisingly, I think the US should go the way of the Aussie coverage.

    One network has primetime coverage. They show about 3 hours in the morning and about 3 hours at primetime, showing about 5 different sports each time (because of the time difference they show what's happened so far that day at each broadcast - the morning and primetime ones are different). For skating, they only show 3-6 skaters, with cuts to different sports in between.

    However, Foxtel (the cable TV provider company here) offered packages. If you had Foxtel, for $50 you could purchase special coverage. 4 channels of 24/7 O's coverage with all medal events and all competing Aussies shown live. I've been able to see every skater of every figure skating event live, plus re-aired later in the day. They are even going to re-re-air the long programs once the Games are done. And because it's 4 channels you have a choice between skating, hockey, curling, bobsleigh... it was really a genius decision to make. It was broken up into the areas where things take place: Whistler, Creekside, Cypress, Vancouver.

    I think that could work well elsewhere too. For those who have satellite/digital cable, pay a small one time fee for full access to the Games. You could even access the stuff on Foxtel's website and on your mobile (if you are with a certain network).

  13. #13
    Go marry the quad if you love it so much DesertRoad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    646
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle View Post
    the not showing it live is due to the fact that censors need to happen, there are some of us that appreciate it.
    Er... no. First of all, I wasn't talking about the censor delay that applies to award shows, those delays can be as short as mere seconds. I specified delays of 10 minutes. Gee, you think someone can hold out the f-word for that long? Second of all, there are plenty of events that they do show live. So they have no problem doing it. The delays in some cases is because NBC would rather move their event coverage around than move their ads and fluff pieces around. It has nothing to do with safeguarding the sensibilities of busybodies with the FCC complaint line on speed dial. Third of all, for those of you who somehow require others to censor what you watch, for fear of seeing some wardrobe malfunction or letting slip some naughty word into your sanctum, how about you just get over your fear of the human body and realize that words don't have magical powers. And if you are really that afraid, Tivo it and let the rest of us watch it live.
    Last edited by DesertRoad; 02-24-2010 at 02:00 AM.

  14. #14
    I like pie. Tonichelle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Kenai, AK
    Posts
    18,728
    Quote Originally Posted by screech View Post
    Surprisingly, I think the US should go the way of the Aussie coverage.

    One network has primetime coverage. They show about 3 hours in the morning and about 3 hours at primetime, showing about 5 different sports each time (because of the time difference they show what's happened so far that day at each broadcast - the morning and primetime ones are different). For skating, they only show 3-6 skaters, with cuts to different sports in between.

    However, Foxtel (the cable TV provider company here) offered packages. If you had Foxtel, for $50 you could purchase special coverage. 4 channels of 24/7 O's coverage with all medal events and all competing Aussies shown live. I've been able to see every skater of every figure skating event live, plus re-aired later in the day. They are even going to re-re-air the long programs once the Games are done. And because it's 4 channels you have a choice between skating, hockey, curling, bobsleigh... it was really a genius decision to make. It was broken up into the areas where things take place: Whistler, Creekside, Cypress, Vancouver.

    I think that could work well elsewhere too. For those who have satellite/digital cable, pay a small one time fee for full access to the Games. You could even access the stuff on Foxtel's website and on your mobile (if you are with a certain network).
    they did something like that with the cable networks four years ago and they lost way too much money that way to make it worth it.

    this time around people are actually watching the games so that's why there are more complaints, IMO.

  15. #15
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    816
    The OP is right. Here in Canada we get to see almost all of the skaters, from the lowest to the highest, almost continuously. On NBC they usually only show one or two skaters at a time and usually only show the final group.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •