NBC's cheap, atrocious coverage | Page 3 | Golden Skate

NBC's cheap, atrocious coverage

will74lsn

Rinkside
Well here in Switzerland I can chose between Swiss, German, French, British, etc. television...very lucky ;) and if they do not show figure skating live I can watch it on www.eurovisionsports.tv/olympics and without any "stupid" commentary; nice site there are also interviews and other stuff. Try! :)

oranges

Rinkside
One of the big reasons that NBC is losing money on the Olympics is because they outbid the next competitor (FOX) by $700 million to show the Vancouver and London games. The Olympics has been a ratings boost to NBC and I don't understand why they don't try to show as many live events as possible. You've already spent a lot of money to show the games, why would you not show them?

As others have said, the Summer Olympics got all-day coverage, specifically on NBC Universal's cable outlets. The Summer Olympics are arguably and probably more popular than the Winter Olympics. However, I don't know how you increase the popularity of the Winter Olympics by not showing the Winter Olympics. USA Network has repeats of NCIS all day yesterday. They decided to show that than a live medaling event (bobsled) that they could have aired yesterday afternoon? Many have said that NBC Universal can air live and full events on their cable stations for the fans of the respective sports that want to watch the entire event, while still airing a "recap" with some live coverage on their broadcast station in primetime.

I think showing only the winners and contenders is a disservice, for ANY sport. First of all, I think it's pretty rude to the athletes themselves, many of whom just dream to compete at the Olympics, to not show their one moment of glory. Second of all, you can appreciate the skills of the elite athletes when you see others falter. When you see that not everyone can skate a clean short program or ski as fast as another skier, it makes the elite athletes stand out that much more.

And don't get me started on nbcolympics.com, which is not even an option for those us ARE living in America but don't use Microsoft Silverlight.

mishieru07

On the Ice
Sounds like we live in the same country. I know what you mean though. i was looking through the sports pages for coverage on the free dance, and there was nothing! They didn't even mention V/M anywhere!

I think so too. Your location .... :laugh:

I think everyone at Straits Times is obssessed with Ladies. Coverage is utterly pathetic urgh. You'd think V/M deserve at least an article because they made Olympic history (youngest dance team, 1st North American OGM). Noooo, we only get an article on Ladies Pre-SP (no offense, I love Ladies but can't you devote a bit more space to the Winter Olympics?). And maybe a photo and article or two on Shen/ Zhao and Lysacek over Plushenko.

I've been dependent on feeds and youtube for 3+ frickin' years. I have NEVER seen figure skating on tv. Can't they give me a break? It's the Winter Olympics for crying out loud! (We had such fab coverage for Beijing in 2008 too.)

Okay. B****fit over. Pardon the snarkiness; I'm really annoyed.

I sniggered when they said they wanted to send an athlete to Sochi. In your dreams maybe.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
While I'm thrilled with the final flight of ladies, I'm disappointed that NBC didn't show the performances of Sarah Maier, Elene G., and Alena Leanova (sp?).

Wicked

Final Flight
NBC is covering the Winter Olympics, not just Olympic figure skating. I thought their coverage has been balanced between the sports, as it should be. I'd personally like to see all the skating, but I understand why they don't show it.

I would gladly pay for a figure skating channel, which would show ALL competitions, junior and senior, LIVE. It would show Nats from all countries and if competitions were on at the same time, you could pick the one to watch live and DVR anything else. Oh, and this channel is available anywhere in the world.