Ladies' LP | Page 91 | Golden Skate

Ladies' LP

bethissoawesome

On the Ice
could anyone translate this please? what does it say?

I'll give you the general idea... it first talks about Yu-Na Kim setting a new world record with her LP score and then says Mao came in second, losing by 23 points, but accomplished landing 3 triple axels. Then it goes in to the main point of the article, the GOE scores. It says between the SP and LP, Yu-Na gained 27.20 point with GOEs (which they find a little ridiculous and overwhelming) and compare it to Mao only getting 11. It then quotes a technical caller about why this is, and she says it is because Yu-Na's jumps are high, have good form and great quality along with added difficulty. It then says for Mao's 3A combination, the second jump needs added height and more polish. Then it says Mao is kind of "stuck" with the triple axel... that she took the 3Lz out of her program this year because of the edge calls and took out her 3F-3Lo combination because of UR calls at the end of last season. Then it basically says Mao will take the necessary course to improve.

Last edited:

Bennett

Record Breaker
I'll give you the general idea... it first talks about Yu-Na Kim setting a new world record with her LP score and then says Mao came in second, losing by 23 points, but accomplished landing 3 triple axels. Then it goes in to the main point of the article, the GOE scores. It says between the SP and LP, Yu-Na gained 27.20 point with GOEs (which they find a little ridiculous and overwhelming) and compare it to Mao only getting 11. It then quotes a technical caller about why this is, and he says it is because Yu-Na's jumps are high, have good form and great quality along with added difficulty. It then says for Mao's 3A combination, the second jump needs added height and more polish. Then it says Mao is kind of "stuck" with the triple axel... that she took the 3Lz out of her program this year because of the edge calls and took out her 3F-3Lo combination because of UR calls at the end of last season. Then it basically says Mao will take the necessary course to improve.
Yeah, but the article doesn't say it's "ridiculous." Also Junko Hiramatsu from the ISU is a woman.

aurora100

Final Flight
I'll give you the general idea... it first talks about Yu-Na Kim setting a new world record with her LP score and then says Mao came in second, losing by 23 points, but accomplished landing 3 triple axels. Then it goes in to the main point of the article, the GOE scores. It says between the SP and LP, Yu-Na gained 27.20 point with GOEs (which they find a little ridiculous and overwhelming) and compare it to Mao only getting 11. It then quotes a technical caller about why this is, and he says it is because Yu-Na's jumps are high, have good form and great quality along with added difficulty. It then says for Mao's 3A combination, the second jump needs added height and more polish. Then it says Mao is kind of "stuck" with the triple axel... that she took the 3Lz out of her program this year because of the edge calls and took out her 3F-3Lo combination because of UR calls at the end of last season. Then it basically says Mao will take the necessary course to improve.

thank you for explaining this to us.

Artistry

On the Ice
Because he understands the system and how to fine tune it too each skaters' personality in a unique way. He's in the 3rd (I believe) episode of "Be Good Johnny Weir," and just from watching him interract with Johnny, you can also see that he knows how to "sell" the choreography in a way that the skater also wants to do it.... so he winds up creating something that works great with the system and the skater has fun practicing and performing with it day after day.

Well, this sound interesting. He does seem to be a great choreographer and someone who enjoys figuring out the system and at the same time making the program seem natural. But then why did commentators and others note that Johnny didn't have enough transitions and that his program wasn't Cop friendly, (to explain why he was given low marks in men's sp and lp?) I'm just wondering...
I personally really liked his programs, and I think there were some beautiful transitional movements - his skating itself between elements has that flowing quality which transitions try to capture in the first place...

Bennett

Record Breaker
No they don't straightforward it is ridiculous, but the tone of the article certainly implies it.

Humm, I don't think so. The title of the article is "Inferior in Quality and Types of Jumps: Large Score Gap for Asada (ジャンプの質と種類で劣る=大差つけられた浅田)." It's not criticism of the system or judging. Citing Ms. Hiramatsu from the ISU, the articles explains how Team Kim tailored the programs to the current system and how Yuna's combos are judged more favourably (her second jump is nearly as big as the first one). The article also analyes some of the reasons why Mao needed to rely on 3A so much (her edge issue on lutz and her 3F-3L prone to DG calls) and concludes that Mao should plan her strategies based on the reality that landing three 3As is still not enough to beat Yuna.

Last edited:

Ren

On the Ice
Well, this sound interesting. He does seem to be a great choreographer and someone who enjoys figuring out the system and at the same time making the program seem natural. But then why did commentators and others note that Johnny didn't have enough transitions and that his program wasn't Cop friendly, (to explain why he was given low marks in men's sp and lp?) I'm just wondering...
I personally really liked his programs, and I think there were some beautiful transitional movements - his skating itself between elements has that flowing quality which transitions try to capture in the first place...

I saw the Be Good Johnny Weir episode, too, and IIRC, when Johnny was returning to his coach Galina he was saying something to the effect of "I hope she doesn't make me change things a lot." She was very much vocal and strong-willed about the choreography her own obviously frustrated daughter was doing for Johnny (before he went to Wilson for a program). Besides, just because he went to David for choreography doesn't automatically mean the program was going to be executed point by point. Galina and David didn't work in concert after all, and the former might have had some things to tweak in the program Weir was going to show her.

hellcat

Rinkside
Humm, I don't think so. The title of the article is "Inferior in Quality and Types of Jumps: Large Score Gap for Asada (ジャンプの質と種類で劣る=大差つけられた浅田)." It's not criticism of the system or judging. Citing Ms. Hiramatsu from the ISU, the articles explains how Team Kim tailored the programs to the current system and how Yuna's combos are judged more favourably (her second jump is nearly as big as the first one). The article also analyes some of the reasons why Mao needed to rely on 3A so much (her edge issue on lutz and her 3F-3L prone to DG calls) and concludes that Mao should plan her strategies based on the reality that landing three 3As is still not enough to beat Yuna.

I agree. The intention of this article is to provide the future direction for Mao - e.g. more than just why Yuna won.

hikki

Final Flight
Country
Japan
I just want her to understand her own beautiful, lyrical style and skate to a program that showcases that best. Not that she can't use rousing music - I think she proved here that if she works hard enough at it she can really skate to anything - but I think in her pursuit of the 3As and a more striking, aggressive style, she lost that something that made so many of us become fans in the first place.

Agreed.

I thought the fantasy SP TT choreographed for Mao was her absolute best. Not to mention caprice and scent of a woman. TT choreography is fine, just the music selection is questionable.

To me the 2008 season is like Arakawa's 2004/ 2006 seasons. Mao had inputs of TT and Lori Nichol for choreography, and Arutunian earlier in the season as a coach. Arakawa in 2004 had Callaghan, TT, Platov etc. involved, and in 2006 TT and Morozov. Talk about team effort! And the lack of it for Mao this season stood out.

More random stuff to stir things up :p
  • Yuna got 9.50 (7.50 + 2.00) for eagle into 2axel/3toe
  • Mao got 9.70 (9.50+0.20) for 'just' 3axel/2toe

liketotally

On the Ice
Final tweets during the games:
JoRo: Back on Twitter, thank you everyone for all your kind words. It really meant a lot to me...
Mirai: posted a video of her (and Rachael) at their very first comp. when they were little tykes. Awww! http://hurdvideo.com/latest_news.htm
Rachael: Thank you EVERYONE! What an amazing adventure here in Vancouver!

Aww the videos are so cute! Rachael looked like she still should've been in diapers.

NorthernLite

On the Ice
Does anyone know the exact recording that Joannie's free comes from. I know it's a combination of an aria and the Bacchanale from Saint Saen's Samson and Delilah. But I'm not aware or an orchestral suite from that opera. (The Bacchanle alone is often performed in concert.) I've been wading through some classical music references but still haven't found a definitive answer.

ARipp42014

Medalist
those videos are the cutest... thanks!

You can't help but love these two, especially little Mirai! :)

More tweets (from everyone)
JoRo (after returning to Twitter): Wow congrats Canada, awesome day! (Wonder what she thinks of her ex-bf winning a gold and bronze yesterday?)
Rachael: Thank you so much everyone for all of your support! I cannot tell you how much I appreciate it. :) Off to get some good sleep tonight!
Gaga: Sitting a Aussie Channel 9 waiting to film my spot. Learning how to speak Australian. Thanks Eddie!! (later) Just finished packing and off to bed. So excited to be going home in mere hours!! Vancouver, I will miss you!
Chosen One: Scariest hockey game I've seen... Canada 3 Slovakia 2 Was a close won, but awesome game :D Makes us proud to be canadian. Woops... I meant to say "it was a close one" yikes... need some sleep. (later) Loved how every time Luongo looked at the puck the crowd would just roar "LOOUUUUUUU!" Only made in Canada :D

Oh found something cute about Mirai on Fourth Place Medal:
http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/va...r-share-the-beauty-secrets-of-?urn=oly,224666

Last edited:

figuristka

Medalist
Thanks loved the pics of Mao happier, she should be so proud of that silver medal. Loved the clips of the baby american's :)

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Whoever said they thought that only Mao and Mirai out of the top 6 would be at Sochi, I tend to think Lepisto will be there too. She's only 21 and in Europe they often stick around for longer, I'd love to see her continue to compete and develop consistency. If she keeps performing like she did here, I think she could potentially win a World medal sometime in the near future.

Also, does anyone know what Rachael plans to do next year? I mean she's gotten into Stanford already, I know she said she plans to continue skating but do people think she'll be able to maintain the level she's at now with all the changes she'll have to make in coaching, training, lifestyle etc when she goes to college?

christinaskater

Medalist
The great thing about Brian Orser and David Wilson is they know how to maximize every point possible from the COP!

Each move of Yu-Na, each entrance or ending to a jump or spin all earn points for GOE!!! Simply amazing

I think Yu-Na deserved her score because of their mastery of the COP!

I think Frank should also get David Wilson to help Mirai! Mirai is going to be the biggest skating star after Yu-Na! Since Mao is not retiring I am thrilled about the possible match up between Asada and Nagasu in Soichi

Soichi looks really promising with Nagasu, Gao, Zhang, Flatt, Wagner- battling it out in the US, Kanako and Mao, the Russian skaters, the new generation of amazing Korean skaters

aurora100

Final Flight
The great thing about Brian Orser and David Wilson is they know how to maximize every point possible from the COP!

Each move of Yu-Na, each entrance or ending to a jump or spin all earn points for GOE!!! Simply amazing

I think Yu-Na deserved her score because of their mastery of the COP!

I think Frank should also get David Wilson to help Mirai! Mirai is going to be the biggest skating star after Yu-Na! Since Mao is not retiring I am thrilled about the possible match up between Asada and Nagasu in Soichi

No question Yuna has a great team around her. Tracy Wilson helping her with step sequence and Sandra Bezic choosing the Bond Music.

But none of that would have mattered if Yuna was not able to go down there and find it deep within herself to put the programs down when it counted. For that, this is her medal and she is the champion.