Ladies' LP | Page 82 | Golden Skate

Ladies' LP

seniorita

Record Breaker
Oh my ...
((((MAO))))

what she did was amazing, skating after the 150 of Yuna. She knew there was no way to surpass this and the five points from short.
I hope she can be happy with silver, it is amazing accomplishment after her bad season :(

translation is down there in youtube

Interviewer: If you look back in to the last four years, I know you had many different stages, some difficult...l... If you return back home later , what will you be thinking about most?

Mao Asada: But, the performance it self, I wasn't happy about it and the triple axesl was the only good part of the program.

Mao Asada: Thank you very much.

tralfamadorian

Rinkside
Sk8n Mama - your post was not addressed to me, but I'll also write my thoughts :)

I don't think the judges would have put Yuna ahead if she fell on something, but of course we will never find out. But I don't think that's what anyone is trying to say here, the point is rather that Yuna's scores are so high, that if you were to deduct two falls worth of points from that she'd still come out on top. (I know the scores would be different if she had made mistakes, so this is not a completely correct argument, but that is not the main point here, I think the point here was to try to highlight how enourmous the score difference is).

I also don't mean to argue about whether Yuna deseres all those + GOE or not, just looking at her program by itself, because I think you have to look at all these scores in comparison to what the other skaters got. Just based on the scores you'd think Yuna has an advantage over Mao that is similar to the advantage Plush had over the men's field in Torino, and that's clearly not the case here.

I think if Mao went clean her scores should have been very close to Yuna, but based on today's scores, Mao would have ended up way behind Yuna even with a perfect skate (I think she'd have maybe 10 point more if she landed all her planned jumps?), and that's just unrealistic imo. Actually, I think it's almost a humiliation to recieve 20+ points less, and that after landing 3(!) triple axels? (Yes, such a huge difference may be justified if Mao had nothing but the 3A, but that again is not the case here.)

This is not to say Yuna didn't deserve her win, and I would have no problem with her winning even if Mao went clean, but she wasn't *that* much better.

Last edited:

dlgpffps

Final Flight
Oh my ...
((((MAO))))

what she did was amazing, skating after the 150 of Yuna. She knew there was no way to surpass this and the five points from short.
I hope she can be happy with silver, it is amazing accomplishment after her bad season :(

translation is down there in youtube

NO MAO! Stop beating yourself up for that amazing performace. There were some mistakes, but don't think about those. Think about everything else you did superbly -- the other jumps, the spins, the spirals, everything. She's probably disappointed at the moment because her dream has been to win the OGM since who knows when, but that silver is an amazing accomplishment by itself will eventually sink. You still have Sochi, which you said you wanted to compete in, regardless of your results at Vancouver.

Morning Glory

On the Ice
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Op_2klX3Nfs

Video of Mao's interview. Can anyone translate? Her tears of disappointment just breaks my heart.

Sorry if this has already been posted.

pokky_oc has posted the translation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Op_2klX3Nfs

Mao's interview!! the description of that post in wrong... The interviewer isn't asking that kind of question!! Mao did say that she was very disappointed with her performance though... And that's why she's crying...

Translation:

Interviewer: What was your four minutes like?? ( FS )

Mao Asada: Well... It was really... Long but short at the same time...

Interviewer: Which part of the program did you feel that?

Mao starts crying... Trying to compose herself...

Mao Asada: It was four minutes... I was thinking too much and I thought it very was long... But if I look back it was finished so quickly...

Interviewer: Before your performance, you were listening to music... ( Almost crying... ) What was going on in your mind?

Mao Asada: But, I think I did what I was capable of.. But I'm still unhappy about the performance... But I did what I'm capable of...

Interviewer:You landed all of your triple axels at the Olympic stage and did you grain any confidence because of that?

Mao Asada: Yeah... I landed two of my triple axels so that went really well but because I made mistakes in the other parts, I'm not happy about it.

Interviewer: If you look back in to the last four years, I know you had many different stages, some difficult...l... If you return back home later , what will you be thinking about most?

Mao Asada: But, the performance it self, I wasn't happy about it and the triple axesl was the only good part of the program.

Mao Asada: Thank you very much.

It took me a while to translate it!!

CdnSkateWatcher

On the Ice
Yeah, their coverage was just atrocious.

I have a huge problem with them only showing 9 of the skaters, though, and then not even showing all the good ones at that. Why on Earth were we subjected to some crappy Australian skater (in both the SP and LP)? It's not like she had some special story. Leonova, Lepisto, and Suzuki were all cut out for no reason at all.

And I would like to extend a note of appreciaton to CTV and TSN in Canada (and Debbie Wilkes and the team at Skate Canada for their promotion of the sport) - for their extensive and continuous coverage of the skating. It was wonderful to have access to the feeds.

miki88

Medalist
Sk8n Mama - your post was not addressed to me, but I'll also write my thoughts :)

I don't think the judges would have put Yuna ahead if she fell on something, but of course we will never find out. But I don't think that's what anyone is trying to say here, the point is rather that Yuna's scores are so high, that if you were to deduct two falls worth of points from that she'd still come out on top. (I know the scores would be different if she had made mistakes, so this is not a completely correct argument, but that is not the main point here, I think the point here was to try to highlight how enourmous the score difference is).

I also don't mean to argue about whether Yuna deseres all those + GOE or not, just looking at her program by itself, because I think you have to look at all these scores in comparison to what the other skaters got. Just based on the scores you'd think Yuna has an advantage over Mao that is similar to the advantage Plush had over the men's field in Torino, and that's clearly not the case here.

I think if Mao went clean her scores should have been very close to Yuna, but based on today's scores, Mao would have ended up way behind Yuna even with a perfect skate (I think she'd have maybe 10 point more if she landed all her planned jumps?), and that's just unrealistic imo. Actually, I think it's almost a humiliation to recieve 20+ points less, and that after landing 3(!) triple axels? (Yes, such a huge difference may be justified if Mao had nothing but the 3A, but that again is not the case here.)

This is not to say Yuna didn't deserve her win, and I would have no problem with her winning even if Mao went clean, but she wasn't *that* much better.

I do wonder what would have happened if Mao did went clean. Perhaps she would still have been 5 points behind in LP and then 10 overall, which could have been more disappointing to her. I agree that Kim deserves to win but the huge gap between her score and Mao and Joannie's is a bit much.

CdnSkateWatcher

On the Ice
Thank you.

I note that the moderators appear to have addressed the individual making the comments many of us felt in poor taste; or so I am concluding based on the BANNED tag under that individual's screen name. Thank you for your efforts on our behalf.

dlgpffps

Final Flight
I do wonder what would have happened if Mao did went clean. Perhaps she would still have been 5 points behind in LP and then 10 overall, which could have been more disappointing to her. I agree that Kim deserves to win but the huge gap between her score and Mao and Joannie's is a bit much.

I do think the judges got carried away. I would've given Yu-na's LP something in the 140-range. I thought everyone else was overscored as well (considering potential DGs and stuff), but hey it's the Olympics. Every skater gets the Olympic boost. But oh well, ten years from now, no one will remember the scores. They will remember that Yu-na won gold with two clean performances, Mao won silver with a historic three 3As, and Joannie won bronze in spite of her tragedy. Everyone's happy with the final standings, as each medalist deserved her spot. People here do think Yu-na was overscored... but can we have this discussion sometime else? I want to let the moment sink :) I'm so happy at the moment. I wish all bots and bashing would go away for a moment too.

CdnSkateWatcher

On the Ice
I am disappointed for Cynthia Phaneuf however. I want to see her go clean and land her jumps. She has come so far, and with such determination, and I enjoy her skating and style on the ice. Perhaps 2010/11 will be a better year for her, and by extension, for Canadian Ladies skating as well.

wonderlen3000

Final Flight
Well now that the ladies free skate is over?? Who will go on to the world??? I think Rochett will skip is after all these emotional days. Kim, she already got the GOLD and there is nothing left for her to claim. Asada will go, considering she is dissapointed with her skate, but if Yuna n Rochett, skip, the world title is for her to lose.

Silver and Bronze can be a fight between Marai, Rachael, Miki, Akiko and Laura.

Wicked

Final Flight
Thank you ladies for excellence of your skating last evening. You were all a joy to watch. I got everything I wanted out of this competition- the podium, the final flight skating clean, and Mirai skating lights out. Awesome.

To me, Mirai was the top performance. She looked so scared right before skating out, standing with Frank by the boards. And then she laid down that skate, skating last and after she knew all the top ladies had gone clean and had incredible programs. Way to manage the pressure. Wow, just wow.

Did anyone else see Mirai taking a picture with Joannie after the competition? Mirai totally seemed to be fangirling her and it was just adorable!

dlgpffps

Final Flight
Well now that the ladies free skate is over?? Who will go on to the world??? I think Rochett will skip is after all these emotional days. Kim, she already got the GOLD and there is nothing left for her to claim. Asada will go, considering she is dissapointed with her skate, but if Yuna n Rochett, skip, the world title is for her to lose.

Silver and Bronze can be a fight between Marai, Rachael, Miki, Akiko and Laura.

Yu-na's going. She just said so :) She will return to Toronto soon, in order to prepare for the Worlds in March.

wonderlen3000

Final Flight
Oh my goodness. Someone, please, please step in and give that poor girl a hug!

I think she is being so hard on herself. A silver is nothing for me shurg off. Given she put half of her TES marks in one baskets, she must know she is in no competiiton to challenge for the gold. Even if she didn't miss the 3F< and 3T (cost her about 8-10 points), her free skate score of 140 will still not enough to beat Kim.

If I go according to the performance level, I will rank the PCS as:
Kim: 70
Rochett: 68
Marai: 66
Asada: 66
Akiko: 63-64
Laura: 63

ARipp42014

Medalist
ARipp-I edited that out because I thought it was too snarky.:laugh: Oh well, it's out there now. Apparently, I'm feeling my oats this morning. Maybe time for a second coffee?

It's okay! I kinda woke up again! Went to bed around 1:30, woke up around 4 to rewatch Yuna, Mao, and Joannie's performances on NBC, woke up again around 8 to see Joannie's interview on Today and then woke up just now after my 3rd cup of tea! I think I didn't miss much. LOL

Kitt

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Yu-na's going. She just said so :) She will return to Toronto soon, in order to prepare for the Worlds in March.

She really needs to work on straightening her knee and pointing the toe in the spiral. She and Brian should look at Sasha pictures. That is the only thing that spoils her perfection.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Congrats to Yuna, Mao, and Joannie! :love:

I hope Japan is proud of Mao winning the silver medal. She has had such a challenging season, and I'm ready to give her a big hug.

I want to give Joannie a big hug too for putting it all together, along with her courage, grace, and dignity.

Congrats to Yuna and her marvelous coach, Brian Orser!

I am so proud of our US ladies, Mirai and Rachel.

ARipp42014

Medalist
I think the entire final flight should get a massive huge group hug for giving us one heck of a memory fans will never forget!

(((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((RACHAELMIKIYUNAMAOJOANNIEMIRAI))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

prettykeys

Medalist
And I would like to extend a note of appreciaton to CTV and TSN in Canada (and Debbie Wilkes and the team at Skate Canada for their promotion of the sport) - for their extensive and continuous coverage of the skating. It was wonderful to have access to the feeds.
The coverage we had was great. I appreciated watching YuNa, Mao, Joannie, Mirai, and Laura Lepisto (she did have a very good LP) the most.

One thing I would like to point out is that most of the talk around YuNa is based around:
1) Medal
2) Score
3) Scoring
4) Technical goods/so-so's
5) Her "muted" performance

Is anyone else not stunned that she was able to deliver her cleanest competition at the pressure-filled Olympics, coming in as the favourite, and without compromising her programs (i.e. last-minute downgrades to play it "safe")? Whatever happened to appreciating sporting excellence and competitive nerve? I have never seen anything like this from any woman in Olympics Figure Skating (the only one who compares in FS in this regard that I can think of is Alexei Yagudin in 2002. But if he didn't make it, Russia had the comfort of knowing it would be Plushenko who won, so it's more personal pressure than national.)

So yes, chide the "gushfest" all you want by the enthusiastic YuNa uberfans who want to call her the "best ever" (I know I have fuchsia-tinted glasses, too.) But I can't believe most people, especially YuNa's detractors, are shrugging that off. YuNa seems one of the "best ever" at least in that regard. The programs she managed were not easy.

Not to mention it looks really sour.

:p

CdnSkateWatcher

On the Ice
I like that Joannie Rochette has given us a role model and an inspiration for skaters and non-skaters. She's been dignified and classy throughout, and has not milked her tragedy for press or media attention. She did not use it as an excuse or a "request for special treatment", and she went out and did her job and represented her country. She let no-one down, including her family and her home town, her supporters and her team members.

Full credit and admiration to her father for coming to see her skate last night. What a difficult week for the entire family, and how impressive they are in their strength.