Ladies' LP | Page 77 | Golden Skate

Ladies' LP

Nadia01

Final Flight
Another Mao interview -- she's much more composed. She's smiling and she says she's happy. The Oly was a big stage and she wants to do it again. So I think she's sticking around for Sochi.

The reporter talked about her 3As, and she actually smiled while thinking back on it and responding to it.

So I think she's happy about her 3As.

The reporter asked her about her mistakes in LP, and she didn't cry (though she looked a lil sad), so I think she's much much much calmer now. Good for her.

The reporter also asked her what Yuna means -- the rivalry that is. Mao said having Yuna motivates her to work harder to improve her skating. So it didn't sound like she was bitter or upset over her silver. I'm glad to see Mao smile. :)

Last edited:

IDLERACER

Medalist
This was the best Winter Olympics ever. All I can think of while I was watching this was that every single one of the top six skaters could've easily gotten a bronze or silver medal at the last olympics, where everybody was falling all over the place except Shizuka. As a matter of fact, if Mikki Ando had only skated like this four years ago, she would've easily bumped Sasha down to a bronze. :thumbsup:​

chloepoco

Medalist
Another Mao interview -- she's much more composed. She's smiling and she said she was happy, and she said the Oly was a big stage and that she wants to do it again. So I think she's sticking around for Sochi.

The reporter talked about her 3As, and she actually smiled while thinking back on it and responding to it.

The reporter also asked her what Yuna means -- the rivalry that is. Mao said having Yuna motivates her to work harder to improve her skating. So it didn't sound like she was bitter or upset over her silver. I'm glad to see Mao smile. :)

That's nice to hear. I think she was understandably upset during the first interview, but now that she's had time to compose herself and reflect a little, she's probably happy that she medaled.

billeh

Rinkside
Please, please, please start another thread if you want to compare past and present skaters. This is a thread about tonight's women's Olympic LP. All the speculation is suffocating discussion on a wonderful evening of skating.

rtureck

Final Flight
Talk of BEST EVER is not too early.. When have you seen better OGM performances in your life? Clearly, I think you have not seen any olympic performances.. go to YouTube and look at the past winner's performances... I'm not dissing them.. I'm just praising this mesmerizing moment and don't even try to Ruin it .

However, I agree with you on Nagasu.. She was just CLASSY! did you see her cheering for 4th placement after her AMAZING PODIUM deserving perf? She is one to watch later.. she might be the contender real soon. I just Love her Attitude.

As for Miki and Mao... I will just not say anything..but way to go Suzuki

I totally disagree with you that the case of "the best ever skater" is made on the basis of one performance. Base on her performance we or at least I can onlhy conclude that YuNa skated the best in this competition. I don't need to go to youtibe to see the other olys performances. I have watched those and have those on tape too. Watching any skater's oly gold winning performance will let me conclude the same that the skater skated the best in that one competition. Since when does the case of "best ever skater" is made on one competition alone.

Who is ruining your moment, celebrate all you want, but gushing statemt of "best ever skater" is just gushing from a fan (maybe an unberfan). Of course everyone is entitled to their opinion. I agree with YuNa's placement, but IMO her program the the most ZZZZ among the top 4.

Lightbulb

Rinkside
oh, i went through 20 pages here in gs and i was pleasantly surprised not to be bombarded with too much negativity. then this one poster comments, with matching red font, that my head started to hurt already. :D

yu na. what can i say? i fell in love with your skating after i discovered your tango de roxanne worlds sp. and through 3 short years, you've become a champion. your olympic performance was absolutely gorgeous. but i am even more in awe of what an amazing, fierce competitor you are. you lay down 2 perfect programs when it really mattered. i cannot imagine the tremendous pressure you have experienced. bravo! congratulations too to brian orser and other members of team yu na.

mao chan. you are, as always, a worthy competitor to yu na. cheer up and hold your head up high. you are already in the history books as having 3 triple axels ratified in the olympics.

Nadia01

Final Flight
Hi Nadia01,

Sorry I didn't realise you were refering to another interview. I apologise and I will edit my post regarding you.

Thanks, Hikki. :)

I'm in JApan, and watched FS since 8:30 a.m. (now it's 5:40 pm -- and still more interviews & clips!) So I watched like gazillion interviews and specials so far on Mao & Yuna. :) Some interviews were good, but some were horrible, so I was merely expressing my disapproval for some reporters' insensitivity to Mao's feelings.

tetana

Rinkside
Wow.. I am so surprised about this atmosphere.. It is so different from FSU. Come on guys. Calm down! It was one of the most wonderful competition ever. I loved most of performances and enjoyed them. We need to be thankful to all skaters.

nddandy

Rinkside
I totally disagree with you that the case of "the best ever skater" is made on the basis of one performance. Base on her performance we or at least I can onlhy conclude that YuNa skated the best in this competition. I don't need to go to youtibe to see the other olys performances. I have watched those and have those on tape too. Watching any skater's oly gold winning performance will let me conclude the same that the skater skated the best in that one competition. Since when does the case of "best ever skater" is made on one competition alone.

Who is ruining your moment, celebrate all you want, but gushing statemt of "best ever skater" is just gushing from a fan (maybe an unberfan). You can celebrate YuNa's gold without

Perhaps I got carried over with Joy and made an 'early statement' for that comment.

However, It's just the matter of fact that she had the best olympic performance ever..

That was what I should have said. I will correct myself.

For sure, She is on her way to become the BEST ever though.. if not yet

rtureck

Final Flight
First of all, Daniel5555 has every right to express his own opinions. Secondly, isn't it ironic that you speak of "sports forever moving forward" yet you ignore a poster who dismisses the new Olympic ladies champ in lieu of reminiscing about a retired skater? Your chastising seems a little misplaced.

Durrrr.
Durr...what chastising? It is a fact that it all started when some uber fan talked about best ever skater. Sure s/he is entitled to his/her opinion. I am just stating that s/he started the whole thing.

prettykeys

Medalist
Durr...what chastising? It is a fact that it all started when some uber fan talked about best ever skater. Sure s/he is entitled to his/her opinion. I am just stating that s/he started the whole thing.
Heaven forbid someone gush about the incumbent World Champion skating clean at the Olympics and earning Gold. :rolleye:

rtureck

Final Flight
Perhaps I got carried over with Joy and made an 'early statement' for that comment.

However, It's just the matter of fact that she had the best olympic performance ever..

That was what I should have said. I will correct myself.

For sure, She is on her way to become the BEST ever though.. if not yet

I guess different ppl have different ideas of best olys performances ever. IMO some of the best olys performance ever was not even from the gold medalist. Janet Lynn comes to mind.

Morning Glory

On the Ice
Another Mao interview -- she's much more composed. She's smiling and she says she's happy. The Oly was a big stage and she wants to do it again. So I think she's sticking around for Sochi.

The reporter asked her about her mistakes in LP, and she didn't cry (though she looked a lil sad), so I think she's much much much calmer now. Good for her.

That's good. I can't watch Mao's new interviews because my children are occupying TV now...

Great rivalry. One comentator ( he was a competitive skater) said that Yuna would not score 150 without Mao, and Mao would not do 2 3As without Yuna.

rtureck

Final Flight
Heaven forbid someone gush about the incumbent World Champion skating clean at the Olympics and earning Gold. :rolleye:

But s/he was not gushing about reigning world champ winning OGM. S/he was prematurely claiming that YuNa is the best ever skater. BTW YuNa is not the only reigning world champ who won OGM. So that is not a basis for making the claim that she is the best ever skater

nddandy

Rinkside
I guess different ppl have different ideas of best olys performances ever. IMO some of the best olys performance ever was not even from the gold medalist. Janet Lynn comes to mind.

Clearly you do..
Now, I understand your taste and I know why you think Yuna's perf was sleep and zzzzz.

It is so great to appreciate the true artistic performances yet seems impossible to inspire or please them all.

It's your loss by the way and you are truly entitled to your own opinion.

Janet Lynn was great but imcomparable to what Yu Na did tonight in my opinion.

Nadine

Record Breaker
Wow, what a final, what a final! It honestly makes me wish that instead of seeing the Mens Final live, I had instead watched it on t.v!

Here are my impressions of the last group:

Rachel Flatt -- good job, good job, she kept it together & didn't fall, kudos to her!

Miki Ando -- ditto, btw love her dress! Have loved ALL her dresses this season.

Yuna Kim -- my heart speeded up a bit because I wanted her to skate clean, as I wanted ALL the women to do, and thus far they had. I was honestly happy that she did a great job!

Mao Asada -- OMG, my heart was honestly pumping overtime because I wanted her to skate clean; skate clean I kept saying over & over & over again in my head. And when she hit the first 3A I was happy, but when it came time to go for the second 3A I thought my heart was going to burst out of my chest, that's how fast it was beating. And when she did it, OMG, words fail me, I honestly wanted to go outside & run 100 laps around the neighborhood; I felt like super woman to see another woman do that!!!!!!!! Then I went back to counting triples & saying "skate clean" over & over & over again in my head. The music was AWESOME, I got caught up in the emotion & the moment, thus it was a bit of a blow to see her mess up on the 3F & then almost fall on the next jump, my heart was in my throat at that point. Good comeback with the 2A, and boy was I relieved when she finished because the last half of her program reminded me of watching a Sasha Cohen program, if ya know what I mean. *wink* After that I was just praying she would get a medal because I honestly thought she might be knocked off the podium all together because of the mistakes during the second half of her program. So I was so happy when her marks came up & she scored a new personal best, but still I said to myself there is Joannie & Mirai whom can knock her off the podium all together....

Joannie Rochette -- my eyes misted up to see her do so great, and I kept saying "skate clean, skate clean", which she did! I wanted her to get a medal, but at the same time I didn't want to see Mao knocked off the podium all together, and I remembered Joannie was only 2 pts. behind Mao after the SP, so I was pretty sure it would be close, with most likely Joannie overtaking Mao due to the fact that Joannie did 7 triples to Mao's 3, so at that point my only worry was that I hoped Mao could hang on for a medal, any medal. *worry*

Mirai Nagasu -- OMG, what to say, she is simply AWESOME! The total complete package, the BEST out of all the American women, it was just a joy to watch her skate!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And even better to see that she was rewarded justly ~ finishing 4th at her very first Olympics (just like Sasha Cohen did back in 2002) ~ I just wished they gave out a pewter medal for the 4th place finisher. Total superstar!

Lol, okay those were my immediate impressions, and then came the awards ceremonies. What a mix of emotions ~ teary-eyed for Joannie, sad to see Mao so sad when she shouldn't be, she did great! and the music to accompany her entrance was a highlight ~ and then the deserving winner Yuna all smiles & tears on the podium. It was a nice end to a a very good evening of skating. :)

***Note: Mao's silver medal immediately reminded me of Evgeni's at the same age, and I truly hope to see her skate at Sochi in 2014, and even moreso I hope she matched Evgeni's longevity in this sport I love so much!***:love:

Nadia01

Final Flight
That's good. I can't watch Mao's new interviews because my children are occupying TV now...

Great rivalry. One comentator ( he was a competitive skater) said that Yuna would not score 150 without Mao, and Mao would not do 2 3As without Yuna.

I agree with you. I think having a great rival helps one to improve one's skating. I know it gets ubers riled up, really, having two great skaters motivating each other is the best thing for the sport.

nddandy

Rinkside
But s/he was not gushing about reigning world champ winning OGM. S/he was prematurely claiming that YuNa is the best ever skater. BTW YuNa is not the only reigning world champ who won OGM. So that is not a basis for making the claim that she is the best ever skater

BTW... its's not just because she is the reigning WC and now OC that I called her Best EVER.

In my opinion, possible anyone standing in her way to become the Best Ever is Kwan and possible Witt...

I do call her the best because there was never a complete package in Woment's figure skating.. you can argue all you want but I'm sure you can't argue Yuna's clean techniques and true artistry..

rtureck

Final Flight
Clearly you do..
Now, I understand your taste and I know why you think Yuna's perf was sleep and zzzzz.

It is so great to appreciate the true artistic performances yet seems impossible to inspire or please them all.

It's your loss by the way and you are truly entitled to your own opinion.

Janet Lynn was great but imcomparable to what Yu Na did tonight in my opinion.

Not sure who is losing. Art appreciation is very subjective. I am not comparing Lynn and KIM. I am just saying that IMO the best olys "performance" may not necessarily come from the OGM/ I mean "performance" in the artistic sense. I totally agree agree with the placement, but in terms of touching my heart "performance" IMO YuNa's performace is the most zzz among the top 4, and Nagasu is the most exciting. But competitive fs is a sport, and YuNa certainly deserves her medal