Ladies' LP | Page 64 | Golden Skate

Ladies' LP

silverlake22

Record Breaker
A little puzzled that Rachel placed so low, but I can only imagine that Laura put out a real performance. NBC didn't show her skate so I don't know. Disappointing for Rachel, but all in all she gave a great performance and she has to be happy with the way her Olympics have gone. Now, onto Worlds, and a medal perhaps? :)

Rachael had 2 downgrades and was a little slow with her usual spins and spirals She did a great job but wasn't as spirited and bubbly as in the SP. Lepisto really did well though, she doubled one jump but hit a great 3t-3t and three more very solid, clean triples and two nice double axels, she was also really expressive. I thought her score was really high at first but after seeing what Yuna, Mao, Joannie, Mirai got I think it was deserved. When Laura's on - she's REALLY good. And so proud of Mirai, all along I knew she had it in her and was so good and now to skate last at the Olympics after Queen Yuna Kim breaks a world record, Mao becomes the first lady in history to land 3 3a's in competition, and Joannie delivers a great performance to a home crowd after her mother died, for Mirai to go out there, close the show, skate clean and express herself, and rotate all of her jumps....wow, that says something. She is a great, consistent competitor now and finally being acknowledged for the quality of her skating.

But overall a great night of skating! So proud of so many skaters

sson4won

Spectator
I'm SOSOSOSO Happy for Yuna!

OMG, She got the OGM!!!!!!!!!!!!
What a champion she is!

Congratuation to all the top 10. Good job Mao, JoRo, Mirai, and Miki.

I'm really happy.

Daniel5555

On the Ice
aftertherain
Then there was no need to bring Michelle into the conversation, Daniel5555.

This is Yuna's night. It was unnecessary to bring Michelle into it.
Man, I agree with you. It wasn't me who did it. it was kyla2, I just answered to him.

boritalee
I hate all of you who are comparing skaters...
Sure, sorry.

Gymfan15

On the Ice
Oh come on you guys. Comparing Michelle Kwan to Yu-Na Kim and arguing over which one is better is like comparing apples to oranges. Kim may have the OGM, but Michelle has the record and the titles. The OGM is not a lifetime acheivement award, as Michelle can attest to. IF Yuna skated for as long as Michelle did at the same level she did and had similar or better results, then maybe we can talk. They are both beautiful, amazing skaters with huge achievements under their belts, and they will BOTH be remembered in history; just for different things. Saying that one is "better" than the other is just stupid! Just because Nastia Liukin won the OGM, does that automatically make her better than Khorkina? I think not.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
The exact same finish as Sasha at her first Olympics in 2002. Take that, Sasha "I think the U.S. women are hit and miss" Cohen! And with no falls either!

At this point I think they should call Mirai the rock. She's skated last so many times and not let us down.

jeanettetan

On the Ice
It turned out basically how I expected. I thought Yu-na was overscored...sorry but I just do and I think her skating style seems calculated...doesn't mean she's not a great skater..that's just how she comes across to me as a viewer. I have to wonder what sort of precedent that type of scoring will set for the future. I was disappointed that Mao didn't score higher but happy she landed her triple axels. I was really glad Joannie got her medal...what heart and determination she skated with. Sooo happy for Mirai...she has so much musicality and what a great future. Poor Rachael. I thought her posture looked poor tonight and sloppy on some of the spins. She looked like she was lacking some energy too. I haven't seen Lepisto yet so can't comment. Poor Miki :( I know she has to be so disappointed.

yes i thought her LP was calculated too... ... not just the jumps but the colour she choose to wear as well

UM84

On the Ice
Oh come on you guys. Comparing Michelle Kwan to Yu-Na Kim and arguing over which one is better is like comparing apples to oranges. Kim may have the OGM, but Michelle has the record and the titles. The OGM is not a lifetime acheivement award, as Michelle can attest to. IF Yuna skated for as long as Michelle did at the same level she did and had similar or better results, then maybe we can talk. They are both beautiful, amazing skaters with huge achievements under their belts, and they will BOTH be remembered in history; just for different things. Saying that one is "better" than the other is just stupid! Just because Nastia Liukin won the OGM, does that automatically make her better than Khorkina? I think not.

Plus they both had different scoring systems (well Kwan had one for a good deal of her time)

coconutpunch

Rinkside
I have to wonder what sort of precedent that type of scoring will set for the future.
Same here. It's a good thing it didn't affect the final placements but ever since the beginning of this season the ISU have been handing out personal bests like candy. :indiff:

Congrats to the medalists though, and generally speaking the top ladies all did well! (except...well, CaroK...argh)

mhu714

On the Ice
Yu Na is totally awesome, no dispute about that. And she can do things MK never could (or at least she never tried in comps) like a consistent 3-3. She has more speed than MK too, and is crazy consistent, which was always one of MK's biggest strengths. But for sheer excellence over a long span, MK is still the best. All the talk about some of the other Oly winners, especially Lipinski and Sarah H, brings back all the disappointment of Nagano. Lipinski was on fire that night but she still skated like the little girl she was. MK was only 17 but was wayyyyy more mature in her skating. Oh well, c'est la vie, MK never won gold. If Kim keeps skating and winning until '14 then I'll say she's the best. And oh yeah, Flatt may have under rotated the flips but they looked pretty good to me and i thought she landed everything rock solidly. I'll take a consistent performer ovr someone who can land a few triples but not skate a complete program any day. Nagasu is clearly the future of US skating but Rachael will also be a solid contender for the next few years. Nobody in Europe is worth a damn, though to be fair I did not see Laura L, who I've never seen skate lights out in any comp.

Justafan

On the Ice
yes i thought her LP was calculated too... ... not just the jumps but the colour she choose to wear as well

Well I understand that all programs are calculated of course but there was just something about the facial expressions, the occasional hand on the hip, etc. that made me feel that way. Not to say she isn't a beautiful skater but I don't get that sense of the joy of skating that I find engaging. I think Mirai has it. I thought MK had it. Maybe it's just something that some people are unable to conceal..I don't know.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Yuna was great but who else thinks Mirai had the best performance of the night? ;)

Me! She's just TOO CUTE. Sandra was like, "Her performance did not have the sophistication of Joanie's" but Scott Hamilton was like "She's getting there". I agree with Scott :)