Ladies' LP | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Ladies' LP

ARipp42014

Medalist
I think of the 3, Joannie has the best use of the music (S&D). Don't get me wrong, Yuna got a well-rounded program (G's CoF) but people find the music a bit blah compare to Bond. And Mao got 2 3As planned but (BoM) is too dark for her. Since all 3 are skating back-to-back-to-back, here's what they need to win Gold:

Yuna: skate clean, that means no pops, no falls, no omitting jumps. I really want her to go all clean. Even if Mao and Joannie goes clean, she'll still win.

Mao: skate clean with no URs on her 2 3As, skate with plenty of attack (BoM maybe be dark but powerful). Also hope Yuna makes at least 2 mistakes.

Joannie: skate clean (she's the only one with 7 triples of the 3), bring Delilah to life just like she did at Nationals, and skate with the usual attack and most importantly skate in automatic pilot. She already have the audience (and a certain guardian angel) behind her, she should seize the moment. Also hope for a meltdown from Yuna and Mao to miss one of her 2 3As.

Also remember Joannie came back from 5th to 1st to beat Yuna at Skate Canada back in 2006 so it's possible.

I want one if not all 3 to have the skates of their lives tomorrow. All 3 have been through a lot in this cycle (Yuna's injuries, Mao's axel issues and changing coaches, Joannie's losing her mother) and wouldn't mind any of the 3 to win. I did hope Miki wasn't too far behind so she can compete for a medal but never say never.

Here's what I hope the ladies should skate tomorrow nite:
Yuna's Gershwin's Concerto in F (from TEB): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISE0eRenwU8 (note: hope no omitting the flip)
Mao's Bells of Moscow (from 4CC): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTSCiEB6vxo
Joannie's Samson & Delilah (from Canadian Nationals): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcbZHTPSsx0

Last edited:

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Wow..this time Yuna first and then Mao.

I don't like this at all. Mao does not have the nerves of steel like yuna. Seeing a huge score could spell disaster for her. Poor Mirari has to close the show and Miki has to skate before the Big Two. Only Kim has a good spot and she does not need it.

nghtvsn

Rinkside
Is Mao not going to have a 3/3 in her program? I watched her nationals routine and it seems like a waste of points to not have a 3/3 somewhere. Why wouldn't she have it in her free skate?

Nadia01

Final Flight
Is Mao not going to have a 3/3 in her program? I watched her nationals routine and it seems like a waste of points to not have a 3/3 somewhere. Why wouldn't she have it in her free skate?

Because she can't land it.

Nadia01

Final Flight
I like how Mao gets to skate after Yu Na. If she nails her program she'll be more likely to have a higher score rather than a new WR score from Yu Na had it been the other way around.
This is assuming that the judges consider Mao's LP better than Yuna's LP.

Else, it could unduly penalize Mao -- meaning the effect works in reverse.

And should Mao be "meh", then Joannie, who's going next, will look so much better by comparison, which boost Joannie's score.

Again, not favorable for Mao.

Nadia01

Final Flight
I don't like this at all. Mao does not have the nerves of steel like yuna. Seeing a huge score could spell disaster for her. Poor Mirari has to close the show and Miki has to skate before the Big Two. Only Kim has a good spot and she does not need it.

That's what I thought too. Unless Miki rocks -- which I highly doubt, not w/ her atrocious costume & music -- Yuna is going to look great. And I also believe that Yuna is probably going to be fairly clean, based on what we've seen today. If she gets a huge score -- let's not forget she holds the world record score for ladies LP from TEB, even though she skipped a flip -- it may affect Mao.

I also wonder what is Mao's mental state. It's got to be incredibly disheartening to realize that your best -- no UR, positive GOE, etc. -- isn't good enough to beat your rival.

Last edited:

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Let me say this: Gedevanishvelli was robbed. I watched everyone's SP performance from start to finish via Eurosport. She deserved to be in the final 6. Actually, she deserved to be in the 4th place ahead of Nagasu, Flatt, and Ando. If we recall that Elene also finished top 6 in Torino, it's truly an incredible achievement.

I think her PCS suffered a bit from skating early, like Mirai. Also her 3-3 was only 3t-3t which is worth significantly less than 3f-3t or 3lz-3t and about the same as 3lz-2t. I know her lutz got -GOE and if you look at the judges scores her layback was only level 3. The score could have been a bit higher but she seemed happy. I would have had her and Mirai's scores a little higher, I thought they were both better than Rachael and Miki but Rachael got the benefit of the doubt on her 3-3 so that's what put her ahead and Miki is a medal contender so even after downgrading her combo they gave her a score that wouldn't put her completely out of the running (like they did with Lambiel in the men's SP).

Mirai in pimp spot, wow. I guess she's used to it though and Frank will help her get in the right mindset for it. Skating last might be better for her than skating directly after Mao or Yuna. I think she'll rock it, and hopefully where she has made the final flight her PCS will be higher like she deserves. I hope she can stay in 6th but anywhere in the top 10 for her I say is a job well done. So proud of this girl!

Last edited:

ARipp42014

Medalist
I'm watching US's Meet The Olympic Press in which our buddy Phil Hersh is on and he's surprised how well Rachael and Mirai is performing. He also glad to see Mao landed her 3A.

Also I remember that at every Olympics, the VANOC gives an award for perseverance during the games. I think that Joannie should get that award even if she doesn't medal (it's the Terry Fox Award for perseverance). http://olympics.thestar.com/2010/article/737623--new-olympics-award-named-for-terry-fox

Tweets time:
Evan (about JoRo): Joannie Rochette was so inspiring last night. I've never seen an arena filled with more love. We are all skating with you Jo! So proud of U

Johnny (also about JoRo and his Angel, Ksenia): The ladies were amazing. Joannie provided the iconic performance of this Olympics. Ksenia was a diva rockstar. Thanks Bosco Family!!

Ashley Wagner (from home): My heart goes out to Joannie, that must have been so hard for her, she showed that the Olympics are more about the moment than the medal

Elana Meyers (US Bobsledder, sharing the Joannie love): I am amazed & inspired by Joannie Rochette-her performance was awesome last night in the midst of tragedy-This is what the Olympics is about

Simon Cho (US Short Track Skater and Yuna admirer): Good job today Kim Yu-Na. Keep it up!

No tweets from Rachael and Mirai today so far.

Last edited:

Enero

On the Ice
I don’t know, with this skate order I think it might be Michelle and Tara all over again. There’s just so much hype around Yuna. I’ve seen so many profiles on her and hardly anything on Mao (until last night). She’s pretty much been crowned Olympic champion. I would not be surprised if Mao skate lights out and best Yuna for the gold.

The long program is going to be tough for Joanne. I hope she can stay strong and skate as beautifully as she did last night. If she does that in the long program I don’t think she’ll have any problem taking bronze, maybe even silver if Mao and Yuna have trouble.

If the US ladies skate as well as they did at Nationals (provided Mirai doesn’t receive any downgrades) they should either remain where they are on maybe move up slightly depending on how the others do.

I’m excited for Thursday! As someone stated up thread, I hope no one implodes, especially none of the top 6.

Phoenix347

Final Flight
I think Joannie's skate in the short program exemplifies the spirit of the Olympics. What a brave performance. I have a feeling that she's going to do very well in the free skate. If she skates well, she can top Mao for silver. Gold would require mistakes from Yuna which at this point is unlikely. I just hope that we see as great of skating in the free skate as in the short program. Really looking forward to this. Good luck to all the ladies.

DesertRoad

Final Flight
Dear baby Jesus, please don't let the podium results come down to a tech call on a downgrade. Yes, I realize it's got to happen at a major competition at some point to get the system fixed. But let it be some other competition, maybe in pairs, which no one gives a crap about anymore since Shen/Zhao re-retired. A-to-the-men.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker

If the tech caller will be the same as in the SP she should try one. If Miki's was ratifed....

Tesla

Final Flight
If the tech caller will be the same as in the SP she should try one. If Miki's was ratifed....

But Miki's wasn't ratified. She got downgraded on the loop and got credit for the solo flip because it was borderline.

Dodhiyel

Final Flight
I agree with a lot that is already written here. I feel that we are truly privileged to see skaters of this calibre competing with one another at the top. May they all fare well in the Free Skate, and may competing in this event have a healing effect on Joannie's heart.

Yu-Na, Mao, Joannie: you are all superb. Thank you for giving us a Short Program that we shall never forget.:love:

figuristka

Medalist
I agree with a lot that is already written here. I feel that we are truly privileged to see skaters of this calibre competing with one another at the top. May they all fare well in the Free Skate, and may competing in this event have a healing effect on Joannie's heart.

Yu-Na, Mao, Joannie: you are all superb. Thank you for giving us a Short Program that we shall never forget.:love:

Agree, May they all do well in the Free. Hope a good free program helps Joannie heal. She has so much support.

ARipp42014

Medalist
More tweets and FB statuses thanks to nbcolympics.com

Rachael's FB status: Thank you for the support everyone! I am so excited about my short program. I'm off to practice now... I love being at the Olympics!

Joannie's FB status from her fan page: Hey everyone, this isn't Joannie herself, this is her helper and the other admin of the Fan Page. Many people have been wondering where they can send cards of condolences, and here is where they can go :) Thank you again for all of the support you've shown for her during this difficult time. Joannie Rochette c/o David... Baden MG 304 Park Avenue South, 5th Floor New York, NY 10010 USA

Other tweets: Johnny is going on an adventure, Evan's back in Vancouver, Charlie (White) laughing it out after being poked fun of on The Colbert Report, and a sick Jeremy spent last night playing Halo and not watching the Ladies.