Ladies' LP | Page 92 | Golden Skate

Ladies' LP

karenll

Rinkside
This is just a random observation, but after watching the medal ceremony (I taped it), I just realized that this current bunch of skaters isn't very "huggy" or interactive with one another on the podium (when they all step up to the top at the end). I remember Michelle Kwan, Irina Slutskaya, Sarah Hughes, etc. would talk to one another and put their arms around each other when posing for pictures...

silverlake22

Record Breaker
This is just a random observation, but after watching the medal ceremony (I taped it), I just realized that this current bunch of skaters isn't very "huggy" or interactive with one another on the podium (when they all step up to the top at the end). I remember Michelle Kwan, Irina Slutskaya, Sarah Hughes, etc. would talk to one another and put their arms around each other when posing for pictures...

The asian culture as a general rule is not very huggy and Joannie's mom just died so....yeah, not surprised.

Sk8n Mama

Final Flight
Wonder what she thinks of her ex-bf winning a gold and bronze yesterday?

She tweeted him, "Felicitations!" (Congratulations!) Saw him on CTV interview. He's kinda cute.

screech

Final Flight
Ahh Joannie and Speed Skater boy broke up? Since when? I thought they were going to get married!

They were living together, but apparently they're still friends - I had read that he had to talk to the team psychologist after Joannie's mom died. Joannie's newer boyfriend is Guillaume Gfeller, Canadian ice dancer (4th at Canadians last year, 7th this year)

Cadiva

On the Ice
David Wilson IMO is the COP guru. He knows how to milk it for everything its worth. I mean, look at Jeff - he personified what COP was after. It helps that Jeff and Kim have the natural ability to work with most pieces of music in most every way, but they have a choreographer who knows their strengths and uses them to eek every tiny smidge of a point he can. He did the same thing when Dubreuil/Lauzon went to him and suddenly they jumped from 7th at worlds to 2nd (just barely missing the gold)

Yup :)

bethissoawesome

On the Ice
Well, this sound interesting. He does seem to be a great choreographer and someone who enjoys figuring out the system and at the same time making the program seem natural. But then why did commentators and others note that Johnny didn't have enough transitions and that his program wasn't Cop friendly, (to explain why he was given low marks in men's sp and lp?) I'm just wondering...
I personally really liked his programs, and I think there were some beautiful transitional movements - his skating itself between elements has that flowing quality which transitions try to capture in the first place...

In the show, when he took back the program (with Wilson's choreography added) back to Galina (his coach), she decided to rework almost all of the choreography to "put her stamp on it," so to speak. Galina didn't go with Johnny when he was working with David Wilson (something that seems pretty counter-productive). David Wilson was very light-hearted and fun... he even wanted to put, as he called them "*** swivels" into Johnny's program lol, but Galina wouldn't have it. She wanted it her way or no way at all.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
They were living together, but apparently they're still friends - I had read that he had to talk to the team psychologist after Joannie's mom died. Joannie's newer boyfriend is Guillaume Gfeller, Canadian ice dancer (4th at Canadians last year, 7th this year)

Wow, that didn't take long.

usethis

Rinkside

Well, it was even surreal for me to see all 3 of them welling up for different reasons.

TT_Fin

The second worst besserwisser in the world
Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Whoever said they thought that only Mao and Mirai out of the top 6 would be at Sochi, I tend to think Lepisto will be there too. She's only 21 and in Europe they often stick around for longer, I'd love to see her continue to compete and develop consistency. If she keeps performing like she did here, I think she could potentially win a World medal sometime in the near future.

Laura and Kiira have both already confirmed they are going to continue so far. Jenni Vähämaa (now 17) was a very promising skater; have once beaten all Finns and even Carolina Kostner in Finland Trophy 2007, but after an injyry she did not find motivation tos skate. But I have read she has started praciticing on the ice again. We will see next year if she is back or not.

breeze

Rinkside
No question Yuna has a great team around her. Tracy Wilson helping her with step sequence and Sandra Bezic choosing the Bond Music.

But none of that would have mattered if Yuna was not able to go down there and find it deep within herself to put the programs down when it counted. For that, this is her medal and she is the champion.

I totally agree with these. (Both that Yuna has a great team, and that it's Yuna herself who makes it matter.)
I read a post somewhere in this forum that she is just a great jumper with a good choreographer, but there are other good jumpers and any of them can also get choreography from Wilson as long as they can afford it. Does it mean they will get scores close to Yuna's? I don't think so. A program is completed interactively between the skater and the choreographer. Wilson's programs are full with COP-friendly moves, sure, but IMO Yuna is the only one who can perform it with that high level of attention to every detail, without compromising the technical excellence at all. I guess this is the reason why some people feel that her programs are too calculated, but for me she looks to have even more freedom to show her expressions than other skaters with less complicated programs and it is only beautiful. :)

Last edited:

bekalc

Record Breaker
I read a post somewhere in this forum that she is just a great jumper with a good choreographer, but there are other good jumpers and any of them can also get choreography from Wilson as long as they can afford it.

I wonder if this person has seen Yu-na live? Because while I haven't, I heard she's incredible live in the sense that she goes into her jumps with full speed and comes out with speed. And honestly I think Yu-na moves her arms just about better than any lady around.

ARipp42014

Medalist
Good thing JoRo and Frankie-Louie (yeah he's a cutie) are still friends. :)

Tweets!

Mirai: i'm still awake....-.- I've got a bet running...USA vs Canada..loser treats winner to ice cream!!! GO USA
Gaga (in Chicago): Sleeping in my own bed, how novel. My luggage is ALL sleeping in Chicago. Thank God I bulk buy everything from toothbrushes to slippers.
Evan: Hanging with Pamela Anderson. Unreal! (earlier) Thank You to all the fans in Vancouver for your support throughout these Games. I'm sad that it's almost over
Jeremy (still sick): due to my illness I haven't been able to enjoy the small amount of time I had left at these games :( Closing is tomorrow and that's all :(
Tanith: Just finished w/the gala.Gonna miss the PAC!Great memories.Can't wait to walk in closing tmw.I swear,if I cry one more time @these games...

I'm gonna miss nbcolympics.com posting FB statuses and tweets of everyone.

aurora100

Final Flight
Good thing JoRo and Frankie-Louie (yeah he's a cutie) are still friends. :)

Tweets!

Mirai: i'm still awake....-.- I've got a bet running...USA vs Canada..loser treats winner to ice cream!!! GO USA
Gaga (in Chicago): Sleeping in my own bed, how novel. My luggage is ALL sleeping in Chicago. Thank God I bulk buy everything from toothbrushes to slippers.
Evan: Hanging with Pamela Anderson. Unreal! (earlier) Thank You to all the fans in Vancouver for your support throughout these Games. I'm sad that it's almost over
Jeremy (still sick): due to my illness I haven't been able to enjoy the small amount of time I had left at these games :( Closing is tomorrow and that's all :(
Tanith: Just finished w/the gala.Gonna miss the PAC!Great memories.Can't wait to walk in closing tmw.I swear,if I cry one more time @these games...

I'm gonna miss nbcolympics.com posting FB statuses and tweets of everyone.

Hope Evan and everyone else in the world knows, and I think they do, that Pamela Anderson is Canadian from BC LOL!!!!

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker

Boy, Evan sure has a thing for sexy blondes. I hope Jeremey feels better soon. Worlds is less than a month away and judging by his tweets he has not resumed training yet.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Laura and Kiira have both already confirmed they are going to continue so far. Jenni Vähämaa (now 17) was a very promising skater; have once beaten all Finns and even Carolina Kostner in Finland Trophy 2007, but after an injyry she did not find motivation tos skate. But I have read she has started praciticing on the ice again. We will see next year if she is back or not.

Oh that's good, I really enjoyed seeing both of them perform so well on Thursday!