Ladies' LP | Page 76 | Golden Skate

Ladies' LP

gracefulswan

On the Ice
Coming from him, yes. If they'd eliminated figures before 1984, where would Scott be? :biggrin:

Oh yes I know what you mean!

Brian said that everytime someone comes up to him and says 'are you going to win gold finally' (which have been a lot), it's like a stab in the back to him and an insult to Yuna.

here's the article: http://newsblogs.chicagotribune.com...kim-yuna-has-she-does-her-programs-doing.html

Of course he's proud to have been an integral part of creating a champion! He doesn't need to hear about gold, gold, gold... damn. I mean Yuna came to him as a gangly 15 year old, very shy, knowing no English, and not yet having the artistry to back up her skating.... He changed all that. He really transformed her in a way and that's what matters... He got her into peak form at the perfect moment too. Really a dream ending for them..... Slam dunk ending... :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Big Deal

Final Flight
This was the HIGHEST QUALITY ladies Olympia ever.
Any ot the top 5 ladies could win all of the preevious Olympic Gold with this performance.
Exqusite!!. Spectacular!
I would never even think about it, the ladies event will be the strongest one in its quality!
Thank you girls and ladies (also judges!)

pshla

Rinkside
Somehow I think that Brian Orser will be talking to Mao. Orser was very happy to see that Mao had come to these Olympics in such great condition.

A great coach can make all the difference in the world sometimes. I still remember how unhappy Yuna was in 2006. she almost quit skating.

I just want Mao to rediscover her joy again! Then again, now that her 3axels are secure, maybe she'll try to pick her other triples and her transitions back up again? I hope she goes back to Arutunian. I really don't like the Mao under TaT!!!

Roman Kacew

Spectator
I didn't fully get into Yu-Na's Gershwin program this season, but I was totally captivated by her tonight. Absolutely beautiful. Gorgeous. Now I think I know why people praise this program so much.

Once again, congrats to all the medalists and now I'm off to watch the last group on NBC (...Yu-Na's program for fourth time :laugh:) on TV now!!

completely agreed
tonight i couldn't take my eyes off her
i become so emotional and almost cried with her at the end.

breeze

Rinkside
One final thought about tonight's skates.
How dramatic it was that Yuna skated next to Mao in SP and the other way around in the LP! :D

nddandy

Rinkside
the parts where YUNA's perf gave me chills is when she was picker her toes to run with crazy music towards the end and skates to the other side for her 2nd 3lutz OMG it was BREATHTAKING!! it was a single BEST moment in Figure Skating History.. that Program was just Magnificant! How could She beat that? I am so so so happy for Yu Na,,,,I was watching the figure skating ever since the night Sarah Hughes won the Gold over Brilliant Irina and Michelle.... and I was just waiting for the right moment for the right skater to rise and shine at the BIGGEST event of em all... She did it deservingly and she will be remembered as one of the BEST in figure skating History if not THE BEST

Hail the to Queen

rtureck

Final Flight
aftertherain

Man, I agree with you. It wasn't me who did it. it was kyla2, I just answered to him.

But some uberfan YuNa fan started this by the gushfest about "Yuna is the best ever". IMO winning one wold gold and one oly gold does not qualify talk of "best ever". It only means that YuNa skated the best program in those events.

Comparing tech abilities of skaters from different era is IMO pointless. Sports is forever moving forward and every skater of a newer generation will achieve higher things. Please celebrate YuNa's OGM and achievement, but IMO the talk of "best ever" is way to early.

Back to topic. I think Nagasu stole the show. And WOW Japanese ladies place top 10 It is huge achievement for Mao to make history for being the first lady to land a triple axel in sp, the first lady to land 2 triple axels in the lp.

FrozenHotCoffee

Spectator
A great coach can make all the difference in the world sometimes. I still remember how unhappy Yuna was in 2006. she almost quit skating.

I just want Mao to rediscover her joy again! Then again, now that her 3axels are secure, maybe she'll try to pick her other triples and her transitions back up again? I hope she goes back to Arutunian. I really don't like the Mao under TaT!!!

Mao did her best! I'm proud of her. :agree:

But I'm actually worried about her at the same time. I heard she had to loose her weight to make 3A stable. It was unstable in 4cc. Thanks god it was stable in the olympics but what if she gains her weight again?

Nadia01

Final Flight
Funny, maybe I've watched the same TV program with you, but had the different impression. I didn't have negative or blaming atmosphere. Didn't you hear Yukina Ota's comment cheering up Mao? But it's OK, each person has each impression.

Actually, an extra celebrating Mao's silver has issued. Of couse I know the gold is better, but I'm really proud of you, Mao-chan.

I was watching the NHK news report post-FS.

They had multiple interviews. I saw the one the other person translated too. I teared up watching it.

I'm proud of Mao, and I don't think the fans will turn agaist her, but I think the media will not give her the privacy and alone-time needed.

rtureck

Final Flight
Mao did her best! I'm proud of her. :agree:

But I'm actually worried about her at the same time. I heard she had to loose her weight to make 3A stable. It was unstable in 4cc. Thanks god it was stable in the olympics but what if she gains her weight again?

I think Mao is so talented that if she chooses to work on her 3/3 and other jumps she does not need 3A. I think she loves the triple axel more than any other jumps and that is the reason she has given up on the other jumps. I hope she will work on her 3/3 and the other jumps. I hope she will find another coach too. I agree with someone who mentioned earlier that Mao is too light and angeliic to skate to the heavy Rachmaninov music.

nddandy

Rinkside
But some uberfan YuNa fan started this by the gushfest about "Yuna is the best ever". IMO winning one wold gold and one oly gold does not qualify talk of "best ever". It only means that YuNa skated the best program in those events.

Comparing tech abilities of skaters from different era is IMO pointless. Sports is forever moving forward and every skater of a newer generation will achieve higher things. Please celebrate YuNa's OGM and achievement, but IMO the talk of "best ever" is way to early.

Back to topic. I think Nagasu stole the show. And WOW Japanese ladies place top 10 It is huge achievement for Mao to make history for being the first lady to land a triple axel in sp, the first lady to land 2 triple axels in the lp.

Talk of BEST EVER is not too early.. When have you seen better OGM performances in your life? Clearly, I think you have not seen any olympic performances.. go to YouTube and look at the past winner's performances... I'm not dissing them.. I'm just praising this mesmerizing moment and don't even try to Ruin it .

However, I agree with you on Nagasu.. She was just CLASSY! did you see her cheering for 4th placement after her AMAZING PODIUM deserving perf? She is one to watch later.. she might be the contender real soon. I just Love her Attitude.

As for Miki and Mao... I will just not say anything..but way to go Suzuki

hikki

Final Flight
Country
Japan
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Op_2klX3Nfs

Mao's interview!! the description of that post in wrong... The interviewer isn't asking that kind of question!! Mao did say that she was very disappointed with her performance though... And that's why she's crying...

Translation:

Interviewer: What was your four minutes like?? ( FS )

Mao Asada: Well... It was really... Long but short at the same time...

Interviewer: Which part of the program did you feel that?

Mao starts crying... Trying to compose herself...

Mao Asada: It was four minutes... I was thinking too much and I thought it very was long... But if I look back it was finished so quickly...

Interviewer: Before your performance, you were listening to music... ( Almost crying... ) What was going on in your mind?

Mao Asada: But, I think I did what I was capable of.. But I'm still unhappy about the performance... But I did what I'm capable of...

Interviewer:You landed all of your triple axels at the Olympic stage and did you grain any confidence because of that?

Mao Asada: Yeah... I landed two of my triple axels so that went really well but because I made mistakes in the other parts, I'm not happy about it.

Interviewer: If you look back in to the last four years, I know you had many different stages, some difficult...l... If you return back home later , what will you be thinking about most?

Mao Asada: But, the performance it self, I wasn't happy about it and the triple axesl was the only good part of the program.

Mao Asada: Thank you very much.

It took me a while to translate it!!

Thanks for the translation! You're right with your translation and in that the whole interview was done in very tender and delicate voice/manner.

I interpreted the first 2 questions a bit differently. You took them literally, I read between the lines.

• 「どんな4分間でしたか?」 "Tell us about your (overall) experience (represented in the 4-minute programme)"
  • 「長かった。あっという間。そのように感じたのはどの辺りですか?」 "What makes you say that? Could you elaborate?"

Anyway:

Yuna. I admire her so much. To nail everything when it counts, under so much pressure. Wow.

Mao. I have so many things to say. I'm heartbroken because she looked so sad. I was so happy she did so well in the short and to see that smile finally. Landing three 3axels at the Olympics and taking home Silver is such an accomplishment. But objectively speaking, I really think she needs to know what her strengths are, which should affect her coaching/ music/ training location/ etc. choices. But it has to come from her. I really hope she gets to rest!

Joannie. I don't know how she did it. Just simply admireable.

Mirai. I'll say this. She wuzrobbed at the SP! Go Mirai!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Miki. Oh Miki.

Last edited:

miki88

Medalist
In my opinion, Mao's performance at the Olympics is one of the greatest comebacks I've ever seen. Despite so many things going against her (her coaching, programs, technique issues, etc.), she pulled it together at this competition. And she definitely showed those who called her an "also-ran" (yes I'm looking at you Hersh) that she's far from done. It's a testament to her raw talent that still remains despite all her recent struggles.

rtureck

Final Flight
Thanks for this. It's obvious she is unhappy about the performance, not the color of her medal. I wish she could have a coach like Orser and a choreographer like Wilson, who cares about her being happy as a skater and design a program that uniquely fits her style. Help her get all her triples back. And do a program she loves. Then she would be unbeatable. Hopefully if she comes back she will make all those changes. She deserves to be happy.

ITA. Sometim es the interviewers ask the darnest things. Remember 4 yrs ago, they kept asking Miki about her deceased father, and what he would think of her competition. Miki cried and said she did not know?

gold12345

Medalist
In my opinion, Mao's performance at the Olympics is one of the greatest comebacks I've ever seen. Despite so many things going against her (her coaching, programs, technique issues, etc.), she pulled it together at this competition. And she definitely showed those who called her an "also-ran" (yes I'm looking at you Hersh) that she's far from done. It's a testament to her raw talent that still remains despite all her recent struggles.

Agreed! Her clean short program alone was such a success for her. I hope she can be very happy with how she did!

Nadia01

Final Flight
Thanks for the translation! I don't know what on earth the previous poster was translating... definitely twisting the nuance. You're right with your translation and in that the whole interview was done in very tender and delicate voice/manner.

I interpreted the first 2 questions a bit differently. You took them literally, I read between the lines.

どんな4分間でしたか? "Tell us about your (overall) experience (represented in the 4-minute programme)"
長かった。あっという間。そのように感じたのはどの辺りですか? "What makes you say that? Could you elaborate?"

Anyway:

Yuna. I admire her so much. To nail everything when it counts, under so much pressure. Wow.

Mao. I have so many things to say. I'm heartbroken because she looked so sad. I was so happy she did so well in the short and to see that smile finally. Landing three 3axels at the Olympics and taking home Silver is such an accomplishment. But objectively speaking, I really think she needs to know what her strengths are, which should affect her coaching/ music/ training location/ etc. choices. but it has to come from her. I really hope she gets to rest!

Joannie. I don't know how she did it. Just simply admireable.

Mirai. I'll say this. She wuzrobbed at the SP! Go Mirai!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Miki. Oh Miki.

Hiki

I saw that interview.

I was referring to another one that NHK showed.

Mao said she was vexed (kuyashii)

The reporter said why. What was the most kuyashii about the performance?

That's when she said she made 2 mistakes, etc. etc. etc.

The rest was... just... kuyashii for ME because I wanted them to leave her alone. Obviously she was unhappy w/ her performance and very disappointed. She deserves some respect after they've hounded her for months over her triple axel jump!

Nadia01

Final Flight
ITA. Sometim es the interviewers ask the darnest things. Remember 4 yrs ago, they kept asking Miki about her deceased father, and what he would think of her competition. Miki cried and said she did not know?

OMG. I remember that. My Japanese friends shook their heads at that b/c it was just so insensitive and rude.

Japanese reporters can be totally KY (kuuki yomenai -- clueless / oblivious / insensitive to the other people's feelings; socially insensitive).

prettykeys

Medalist

First of all, Daniel5555 has every right to express his own opinions. Secondly, isn't it ironic that you speak of "sports forever moving forward" yet you ignore a poster who dismisses the new Olympic ladies champ in lieu of reminiscing about a retired skater? Your chastising seems a little misplaced.

Durrrr.

colleen o'neill

Medalist
Can we hope that after this Olympics, Morozov might fall out of favour a bit in Japan , and that Mao might find a more suitable coaching arrangement as well ?

hikki

Final Flight
Country
Japan
Hi Nadia01,

Sorry I didn't realise you were refering to another interview. I apologise and I will edit my post regarding you.