Page 106 of 125 FirstFirst ... 6 56 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 ... LastLast
Results 1,576 to 1,590 of 1863

Thread: Ladies' LP

On the Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by hikki View Post
    While everyone seems to be asleep and with this thread quiet, I'll write some random stuff.
    • Miki received almost no +GOEs for her jumps, even for her beautiful 3lutz/2loop.
    • Mao received +2.6 GOEs for her spiral sequence, making it a total of 6.0
    • Yuna got +17.4 GOEs in total.
    • Mirai obtained only +1.4 for layback, +0.2 for 3lp+2axel and +1.0 for her 2axel right from eagle.
    • Akiko's step sequence got +1.0, only beaten by Mao's 1.1.
    Mirai's layback should have gotten +2 for that.... the scoring is seriously flawed.
    And Miki should have been able to garner some +GOEs for her jumps. They were all ok and nice size.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by screech View Post
    I know - it's almost like they now love his personality and want to make up their jerkiness by pimping him. I love it! They completley want him to come to Oz now. I'd love to see him on Aussie Dancing with the Stars (if he doesn't do the US one).

He is an extremely gifted public speaker. I love how he speaks his mind but still refrains from talking poorly about anyone in particular, just about situations, and even still, he is as diplomatically correct as possible while still offering a bowlfull of sass. I never used to be a huge fan of his, but in the past few months I've developed a bit of a girl-crush on him.

Can't wait to see his take on the fashions!
    Johnny is brilliant. A triumph for male skaters everywhere that he was able to take Channel Nine's locker room sniggering, and not only turn them around, but make their broadcast a ratings winner.

The Australian coverage is still pretty ordinary, but for once, I'm proud of their coverage and proud to be a fellow Aussie. (Still relieved I have been able to download the entire competition elsewhere, though...lol)

Nick Pilgrim
    aussieskates.com

On the Ice
    wow, ladies were amazing, congratulations yuna mao and joannie
    and realy liked mirai tooo

elene
    Last edited by taaak; 02-26-2010 at 08:13 AM.

On the Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by screech View Post
    I agree. The music (and costume) was a bit too much for her. It doesn't help that (to me at least) the music belongs to Jeff Buttle, circa 2005. Her triple axel is amazing though. Hopefully she works on her lutz to get that back in her program and gets something a bit lighter to skate to. She is a lovely skater, but she doesn't quite have the 'command' and 'power' to skate to the pieces she chose.
    I rather enjoyed the Rach piece that she skated. But then I am a fan of the abstract, sometimes expressionless, Russian style - ie M&D in 94 long program pairs. I think it was smart to give her something with a strong undercurrent.. anyone who can do 2 3A in a program has every right to skate to stronger music.
    But again this is personal taste.

Quote Originally Posted by essence_of_soy View Post
    (Still relieved I have been able to download the entire competition elsewhere, though...lol)
    hints? for complicated reasons I wasn't able to record from tv (or be around when things are broadcast) and the incredibly idiotic youtube policy means I haven't seen much...... (just what wrong is being set right by banning videos from youtube? what unmet need is being met by doing that? hating the IOC and NBC?)

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz View Post
    Aside from the lousy coverage by NBC, what I did see was:

Cheltze - So good to watch a new girl on the block. Hope her coach has her developing more technical skills. As for performance, the choreogapher gives her the blueprint and she takes it from there with her own personality. She has star quality..
    That's wonderful to hear. I'm biased b/c I run her official website, but from all reports, Cheltzie can land the lutz, flip, loop and 3toe/3toe. Her coach, Kylie, wanted to wait until these new jumps are more consistent before she tries them in championship competition.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mafke View Post
    hints? for complicated reasons I wasn't able to record from tv (or be around when things are broadcast) and the incredibly idiotic youtube policy means I haven't seen much...... (just what wrong is being set right by banning videos from youtube? what unmet need is being met by doing that? hating the IOC and NBC?)
    I have an account with fsvids.net if that helps.

I got the exact podium I wanted! Yay! Queen Yu-Na sure lived up to that title last night. It was so beautiful. Mao just looked dull in comparison.

4 years ago I saw Mao & Yu-Na live at J. Worlds in Kitchener, ON. At the time I said, "there's your big match-up for Vancouver" so it was exciting to see that the two of them fulufilled what I expected. However, at that comp, they were very similar in skating ability and style. I find, after 4 years, Yu-Na polished what she had at that comp, and Mao lost her pretty, lyrical style by focusing on the juimps. Sadly, that was the difference for the OGM.

What was the -GOE on Joannie's second 3lz? It was less than-1 so some judges called it and some didn't. I didn't see a problem with it. The 3 flip had a minor step-out by the 3 lutz seemed fine.

Completely agree with the placements, no contestation whatsoever. However, the issue of GOE as being too subjective and having too much influence was proven rather than disproven I think.

Regarding Mao's choices, I think that she had really no other choice. Two years ago, CoP suddenly started telling her she couldn't do 3-3s. And she saw that GoEs were only going to be given to people who had a speedy and powerful style. If she was going to have any chance at gold, she had to focus on her triple-axel, despite the fact that, under the current system, even doing such a special element as the triple-axel doesn't have the dividends it should.

Mao has improved hugely over these past two years. She's physically much more stronger, and still improving every day. Between 4cc and Olympics, her spiral improved again, and even though the camera work didn't let me see clearly, I was amazed to see that she had a noticable delay on her flip!

The next hurdle will be the lutz, and I really hope that she will have/already has a jump coach that can help her feel fully secure about her jump technique.

I really wonder if Mao will part from Tarasova? I didn't really like Bells as a program, but I completely understood where it was coming from. Tarasova has also made other programs for Mao that are my favorites. I do think that Tarasova understands the beauty of Mao's style and how to showcase it well in programs. What I do think (and this is so completely a figment of my imagination) is that Tat did not understand how to interact with Mao to bring out the best in her in competition. I used to watch Tarasova glaring at Mao and wind her up saying 'just do it' right before her performance and think 'God, that is the worst thing to do to a girl like Mao.' However, at the Olympics, I was glad to see that Mao was just left alone to collect herself before going out into the rink, and I think this was what Mao needs to gather herself together. And so I think that maybe Tat finally got the hang of 'Mao'. I wouldn't mind if Mao continued to be coached byTat for a while longer. I think Tat could come up with masterpiece programs for Mao.

But anyway, this is all totally my own imagining, so maybe they'll part. It may also be that things like Tat's health, distance, will lead to other arrangements.
    Last edited by hurrah; 02-26-2010 at 08:26 AM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjl View Post
    OK, now that the Olympics are over I think I can accurately say that Tarasova did not help Mao's chances at all and may have actually hurt them. Why the hell was she focusing so much on the 3A to the detriment of Mao's other elements? The fact that Mao only ended up with 4 successful triple jumps in the LP is Tarasova's fault and her fault alone. Does she not understand simple arithmetic? You don't win by wowing the judges with a single trick; you do a series of tricks that cumulatively add up to a monster score. Her horrible costuming and music choices aside (cuz let's be honest, if Mao ended up winning the gold we'd all be praising Tarasova's genius in selecting a more "serious" piece with suitably "dark" costumes), her inability to work the CoP system was criminally negligent.

This has been discussed elsewhere (in the 'Stojko opposes the ladies result' thread). I asked about Tarasova there. bethissoawesome posted (on page 14 of that thread) that:

"It was Mao who decided to go for the two 3A's... "Team Mao" wanted to take the 3A out of her programs once she became inconsistent with them, Mao refused. Even the idea of losing the 3A has made her cry in interviews... it's something very important to her in skating... she knows the rules and the risks, so at the end of the day, it should be her choice whether or not to do it."

bethissoawesome's post above is actually a reply to bmelanie's original post:

"I have heard that it was at Mao's insistence that she put 2 3As in the LP - but it's hearsay, I can't speak for her. I did read that the music selection was Mao's; Tarasova gave her a couple of options for each program and Mao chose Masquerade and Bells - so we can't really blame TAT for that. As for training grounds, Mao wanted to train at Chukyo University where they provided her with a private rink for training, and of course any skater would want to stay in a familiar environment. eg. Yuna may train in Canada but she lives within the sizeable Korean community in Toronto.

Mao may not seem like it, but simply looking at the decisions she has made over the past few seasons - leaving Arutunian right before Worlds, putting 2 3As in her LP, refusing to change any content in her programs, recycling the Masquerade - I feel she's got a pretty stubborn streak. She sticks with a decision, for better or for worse, and I do respect her for that, even if I find it frustrating. There's a fine line between persistence and butthead stubborn, however, and I think she's been toeing it."

So I don't think we should lay all the blame on Tarasova's feet. Concerning the costume choices, though, I haven't read anything who is primarily responsible for that, so I have no idea if Tarasova suggested them to Mao.

Also, I can't remember the poster's name right now, but someone else on the Stojko thread said that apparently Tarasova had wanted Mao to get a technical coach, but Mao didn't agree (Please correct me if I'm wrong). If this is true, I at least would believe that Tarasova knows her own strengths and weaknesses. That is, I believe she knows that she is more of a choreographer, and would work better with someone who already knows his/her jumps (I think this was the case with Alexei Yagudin when he approached Tarasova after he left his old coach Mishin).

P.S. Sorry about the quote format. I'm still learning the mechanics of this site and am still figuring out how to place multiple quotes...
    Last edited by Ren; 02-26-2010 at 08:43 AM.

Medalist
    Quote Originally Posted by Ren View Post
    This has been discussed elsewhere (in the 'Stojko opposes the ladies result' thread). I asked about Tarasova there. bethissoawesome posted (on page 14 of that thread) that:

"It was Mao who decided to go for the two 3A's... "Team Mao" wanted to take the 3A out of her programs once she became inconsistent with them, Mao refused. Even the idea of losing the 3A has made her cry in interviews... it's something very important to her in skating... she knows the rules and the risks, so at the end of the day, it should be her choice whether or not to do it."

bethissoawesome's post above is actually a reply to bmelanie's original post:

"I have heard that it was at Mao's insistence that she put 2 3As in the LP - but it's hearsay, I can't speak for her. I did read that the music selection was Mao's; Tarasova gave her a couple of options for each program and Mao chose Masquerade and Bells - so we can't really blame TAT for that. As for training grounds, Mao wanted to train at Chukyo University where they provided her with a private rink for training, and of course any skater would want to stay in a familiar environment. eg. Yuna may train in Canada but she lives within the sizeable Korean community in Toronto.

Mao may not seem like it, but simply looking at the decisions she has made over the past few seasons - leaving Arutunian right before Worlds, putting 2 3As in her LP, refusing to change any content in her programs, recycling the Masquerade - I feel she's got a pretty stubborn streak. She sticks with a decision, for better or for worse, and I do respect her for that, even if I find it frustrating. There's a fine line between persistence and butthead stubborn, however, and I think she's been toeing it."

So I don't think we should lay all the blame on Tarasova's feet. Concerning the costume choices, though, I haven't read anything who is primarily responsible for that, so I have no idea if Tarasova suggested them to Mao.

P.S. Sorry about the quote format. I'm still learning the mechanics of this site and am still figuring out how to place multiple quotes...
    Thanks for the clarifications. I guess I do have a certain bias against TAT because she looks and acts like Ursula the Sea Witch.

Skating is art, if you let it be. Blades of Passion's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by *Sniper* View Post
    NBC Not to show 2/3 of the skaters is one thing, but how can they not even bother to show the complete standing even once?
    Yeah, their coverage was just atrocious.

I have a huge problem with them only showing 9 of the skaters, though, and then not even showing all the good ones at that. Why on Earth were we subjected to some crappy Australian skater (in both the SP and LP)? It's not like she had some special story. Leonova, Lepisto, and Suzuki were all cut out for no reason at all.

On the Ice
    I am just abhorring the scoring at this event. I mean honestly..... 9th in the mens...??????????? Either the scale and judgements should be absolute or toss it out the window right now.....

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjl View Post
    Thanks for the clarifications. I guess I do have a certain bias against TAT because she looks and acts like Ursula the Sea Witch.
    You're welcome. She does look very fierce and formidable in her fur coat, doesn't she?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by bmelanie View Post
    LOL, cut us some slack. It's our first ever elite-level figure skater, and she just gave us gold. We needed that after our women's short track relay team was disqualified for some [color=red]*[/color][color=red]*[/color][color=red]*[/color][color=red]*[/color][color=red]*[/color][color=red]*[/color][color=red]*[/color][color=red]*[/color] reason.
    It also does not hurt that YuNa is very very beautiful.

Page 106 of 125 FirstFirst ... 6 56 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 ... LastLast