Page 109 of 125 FirstFirst ... 9 59 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 ... LastLast
Results 1,621 to 1,635 of 1863

Thread: Ladies' LP

  1. #1621
    leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    5,579
    Oh my ...
    ((((MAO))))

    what she did was amazing, skating after the 150 of Yuna. She knew there was no way to surpass this and the five points from short.
    I hope she can be happy with silver, it is amazing accomplishment after her bad season :(

    translation is down there in youtube

    Interviewer: If you look back in to the last four years, I know you had many different stages, some difficult...l... If you return back home later , what will you be thinking about most?

    Mao Asada: But, the performance it self, I wasn't happy about it and the triple axesl was the only good part of the program.

    Mao Asada: Thank you very much.

  2. #1622
    On the Ice
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    32
    Sk8n Mama - your post was not addressed to me, but I'll also write my thoughts

    I don't think the judges would have put Yuna ahead if she fell on something, but of course we will never find out. But I don't think that's what anyone is trying to say here, the point is rather that Yuna's scores are so high, that if you were to deduct two falls worth of points from that she'd still come out on top. (I know the scores would be different if she had made mistakes, so this is not a completely correct argument, but that is not the main point here, I think the point here was to try to highlight how enourmous the score difference is).

    I also don't mean to argue about whether Yuna deseres all those + GOE or not, just looking at her program by itself, because I think you have to look at all these scores in comparison to what the other skaters got. Just based on the scores you'd think Yuna has an advantage over Mao that is similar to the advantage Plush had over the men's field in Torino, and that's clearly not the case here.

    I think if Mao went clean her scores should have been very close to Yuna, but based on today's scores, Mao would have ended up way behind Yuna even with a perfect skate (I think she'd have maybe 10 point more if she landed all her planned jumps?), and that's just unrealistic imo. Actually, I think it's almost a humiliation to recieve 20+ points less, and that after landing 3(!) triple axels? (Yes, such a huge difference may be justified if Mao had nothing but the 3A, but that again is not the case here.)

    This is not to say Yuna didn't deserve her win, and I would have no problem with her winning even if Mao went clean, but she wasn't *that* much better.
    Last edited by tralfamadorian; 02-26-2010 at 10:45 AM.

  3. #1623
    Waiting for on-ice perfection.
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    615
    Quote Originally Posted by seniorita View Post
    Oh my ...
    ((((MAO))))

    what she did was amazing, skating after the 150 of Yuna. She knew there was no way to surpass this and the five points from short.
    I hope she can be happy with silver, it is amazing accomplishment after her bad season :(

    translation is down there in youtube
    NO MAO! Stop beating yourself up for that amazing performace. There were some mistakes, but don't think about those. Think about everything else you did superbly -- the other jumps, the spins, the spirals, everything. She's probably disappointed at the moment because her dream has been to win the OGM since who knows when, but that silver is an amazing accomplishment by itself will eventually sink. You still have Sochi, which you said you wanted to compete in, regardless of your results at Vancouver.

  4. #1624
    Custom Title Gymfan15's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    257
    Quote Originally Posted by demarinis5 View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Op_2klX3Nfs

    Video of Mao's interview. Can anyone translate? Her tears of disappointment just breaks my heart.

    Sorry if this has already been posted.
    Oh my goodness. Someone, please, please step in and give that poor girl a hug!

  5. #1625
    Custom Title Morning Glory's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    in the Lavender Garden
    Posts
    455
    Quote Originally Posted by demarinis5 View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Op_2klX3Nfs

    Video of Mao's interview. Can anyone translate? Her tears of disappointment just breaks my heart.

    Sorry if this has already been posted.
    pokky_oc has posted the translation.

    Quote Originally Posted by pokky_oc View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Op_2klX3Nfs

    Mao's interview!! the description of that post in wrong... The interviewer isn't asking that kind of question!! Mao did say that she was very disappointed with her performance though... And that's why she's crying...

    Translation:

    Interviewer: What was your four minutes like?? ( FS )

    Mao Asada: Well... It was really... Long but short at the same time...

    Interviewer: Which part of the program did you feel that?

    Mao starts crying... Trying to compose herself...

    Mao Asada: It was four minutes... I was thinking too much and I thought it very was long... But if I look back it was finished so quickly...

    Interviewer: Before your performance, you were listening to music... ( Almost crying... ) What was going on in your mind?

    Mao Asada: But, I think I did what I was capable of.. But I'm still unhappy about the performance... But I did what I'm capable of...

    Interviewer:You landed all of your triple axels at the Olympic stage and did you grain any confidence because of that?

    Mao Asada: Yeah... I landed two of my triple axels so that went really well but because I made mistakes in the other parts, I'm not happy about it.

    Interviewer: If you look back in to the last four years, I know you had many different stages, some difficult...l... If you return back home later , what will you be thinking about most?

    Mao Asada: But, the performance it self, I wasn't happy about it and the triple axesl was the only good part of the program.

    Mao Asada: Thank you very much.

    It took me a while to translate it!!

  6. #1626
    Spending too much time at the arena CdnSkateWatcher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    277
    Quote Originally Posted by Blades of Passion View Post
    Yeah, their coverage was just atrocious.

    I have a huge problem with them only showing 9 of the skaters, though, and then not even showing all the good ones at that. Why on Earth were we subjected to some crappy Australian skater (in both the SP and LP)? It's not like she had some special story. Leonova, Lepisto, and Suzuki were all cut out for no reason at all.
    And I would like to extend a note of appreciaton to CTV and TSN in Canada (and Debbie Wilkes and the team at Skate Canada for their promotion of the sport) - for their extensive and continuous coverage of the skating. It was wonderful to have access to the feeds.

  7. #1627
    Mashimaro on Ice
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    1,419
    Quote Originally Posted by tralfamadorian View Post
    Sk8n Mama - your post was not addressed to me, but I'll also write my thoughts

    I don't think the judges would have put Yuna ahead if she fell on something, but of course we will never find out. But I don't think that's what anyone is trying to say here, the point is rather that Yuna's scores are so high, that if you were to deduct two falls worth of points from that she'd still come out on top. (I know the scores would be different if she had made mistakes, so this is not a completely correct argument, but that is not the main point here, I think the point here was to try to highlight how enourmous the score difference is).

    I also don't mean to argue about whether Yuna deseres all those + GOE or not, just looking at her program by itself, because I think you have to look at all these scores in comparison to what the other skaters got. Just based on the scores you'd think Yuna has an advantage over Mao that is similar to the advantage Plush had over the men's field in Torino, and that's clearly not the case here.

    I think if Mao went clean her scores should have been very close to Yuna, but based on today's scores, Mao would have ended up way behind Yuna even with a perfect skate (I think she'd have maybe 10 point more if she landed all her planned jumps?), and that's just unrealistic imo. Actually, I think it's almost a humiliation to recieve 20+ points less, and that after landing 3(!) triple axels? (Yes, such a huge difference may be justified if Mao had nothing but the 3A, but that again is not the case here.)

    This is not to say Yuna didn't deserve her win, and I would have no problem with her winning even if Mao went clean, but she wasn't *that* much better.
    I do wonder what would have happened if Mao did went clean. Perhaps she would still have been 5 points behind in LP and then 10 overall, which could have been more disappointing to her. I agree that Kim deserves to win but the huge gap between her score and Mao and Joannie's is a bit much.

  8. #1628
    Spending too much time at the arena CdnSkateWatcher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    277

    Thank you.

    I note that the moderators appear to have addressed the individual making the comments many of us felt in poor taste; or so I am concluding based on the BANNED tag under that individual's screen name. Thank you for your efforts on our behalf.

  9. #1629
    Waiting for on-ice perfection.
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    615
    Quote Originally Posted by miki88 View Post
    I do wonder what would have happened if Mao did went clean. Perhaps she would still have been 5 points behind in LP and then 10 overall, which could have been more disappointing to her. I agree that Kim deserves to win but the huge gap between her score and Mao and Joannie's is a bit much.
    I do think the judges got carried away. I would've given Yu-na's LP something in the 140-range. I thought everyone else was overscored as well (considering potential DGs and stuff), but hey it's the Olympics. Every skater gets the Olympic boost. But oh well, ten years from now, no one will remember the scores. They will remember that Yu-na won gold with two clean performances, Mao won silver with a historic three 3As, and Joannie won bronze in spite of her tragedy. Everyone's happy with the final standings, as each medalist deserved her spot. People here do think Yu-na was overscored... but can we have this discussion sometime else? I want to let the moment sink I'm so happy at the moment. I wish all bots and bashing would go away for a moment too.

  10. #1630
    Spending too much time at the arena CdnSkateWatcher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    277
    I am disappointed for Cynthia Phaneuf however. I want to see her go clean and land her jumps. She has come so far, and with such determination, and I enjoy her skating and style on the ice. Perhaps 2010/11 will be a better year for her, and by extension, for Canadian Ladies skating as well.

  11. #1631
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    675
    Well now that the ladies free skate is over?? Who will go on to the world??? I think Rochett will skip is after all these emotional days. Kim, she already got the GOLD and there is nothing left for her to claim. Asada will go, considering she is dissapointed with her skate, but if Yuna n Rochett, skip, the world title is for her to lose.

    Silver and Bronze can be a fight between Marai, Rachael, Miki, Akiko and Laura.

  12. #1632
    Dedicated follower of the black line Wicked's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    On the shores of the Chesapeake Bay
    Posts
    882
    Thank you ladies for excellence of your skating last evening. You were all a joy to watch. I got everything I wanted out of this competition- the podium, the final flight skating clean, and Mirai skating lights out. Awesome.

    To me, Mirai was the top performance. She looked so scared right before skating out, standing with Frank by the boards. And then she laid down that skate, skating last and after she knew all the top ladies had gone clean and had incredible programs. Way to manage the pressure. Wow, just wow.

    Did anyone else see Mirai taking a picture with Joannie after the competition? Mirai totally seemed to be fangirling her and it was just adorable!

  13. #1633
    Waiting for on-ice perfection.
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    615
    Quote Originally Posted by wonderlen3000 View Post
    Well now that the ladies free skate is over?? Who will go on to the world??? I think Rochett will skip is after all these emotional days. Kim, she already got the GOLD and there is nothing left for her to claim. Asada will go, considering she is dissapointed with her skate, but if Yuna n Rochett, skip, the world title is for her to lose.

    Silver and Bronze can be a fight between Marai, Rachael, Miki, Akiko and Laura.
    Yu-na's going. She just said so She will return to Toronto soon, in order to prepare for the Worlds in March.

  14. #1634
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    675
    Quote Originally Posted by Gymfan15 View Post
    Oh my goodness. Someone, please, please step in and give that poor girl a hug!
    I think she is being so hard on herself. A silver is nothing for me shurg off. Given she put half of her TES marks in one baskets, she must know she is in no competiiton to challenge for the gold. Even if she didn't miss the 3F< and 3T (cost her about 8-10 points), her free skate score of 140 will still not enough to beat Kim.

    If I go according to the performance level, I will rank the PCS as:
    Kim: 70
    Rochett: 68
    Marai: 66
    Asada: 66
    Akiko: 63-64
    Laura: 63

  15. #1635
    Comeback Queen! ARipp42014's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Eastern PA
    Posts
    1,492
    Quote Originally Posted by Sk8n Mama View Post
    ARipp-I edited that out because I thought it was too snarky. Oh well, it's out there now. Apparently, I'm feeling my oats this morning. Maybe time for a second coffee?
    It's okay! I kinda woke up again! Went to bed around 1:30, woke up around 4 to rewatch Yuna, Mao, and Joannie's performances on NBC, woke up again around 8 to see Joannie's interview on Today and then woke up just now after my 3rd cup of tea! I think I didn't miss much. LOL

Page 109 of 125 FirstFirst ... 9 59 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •