Page 115 of 125 FirstFirst ... 15 65 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 ... LastLast
Results 1,711 to 1,725 of 1863

Thread: Ladies' LP

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by aurora100 View Post
    Mirai did 2A3T in her LP at the olympics. I only know of Mirai and Yuna who did it. Now, why can't Mao do something like that. 2A and 3loop even. I understand 3loop is Mao's favourite jump.
    In 1988 Midori Ito did 2A-half loop-3S and next year she replaced it with a 3A. Also Alisa Drei did that combo for years. I truly miss it. Well, I miss all combinations with half loop-3S or 3F.

can't come down to Earth prettykeys's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Layfan View Post
    Heh. I can understand your boyfriend's opinions on everything except Yuna and Mao...

Well, in my ongoing drive to stir up interest in figure skating at work, here's how far I got:

My boss watched the women's short on a feed with her two little girls (who tried to touch their toes the whole time, hee!) The next day, I asked, hey so did you watch what did you think? She said, "yeah it was fun. You must be happy, that American girl you told me about won!" I said what are talking about? She said "oh well, the last skater, Myray, she was in first." I said "what there were about 15 other skaters after her!" And she laughed and said "Oh, I just saw taht she was in first and though, cool the American won, and shut if off."

sigh.

Another colleague went up to me the day after Men's final and said oh my god I've suddenly become a huge fan of Evan. I said "I'm happy he won too but you know, there's a bit of a controversy because he didn't do a quad and the Russian did."

And she said, "Well I don't know about that. I just think Evan Plushenko is hot!"

Quote Originally Posted by rtureck View Post
    No one is chiding YuNa ubefr fans. It is the job of uber fans to force down others throat that their favorite is the best ever. Hey it is in your job description. If uber fans are saying she is one of the best ever, then no argument from most ppl at least not from me. But the tactics from YuNa ubers are shouting intimidating others for not agreeing that YuNa is the be best ever IMO does not work.
    JMO IMO IMHO IMO JMO IMO It looks like you're trying really hard to argue about and dampen others' enthusiasm for their favourite. Like, really hard. And that, to me, is "sour". JMHO

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by prettykeys View Post

JMO IMO IMHO IMO JMO IMO It looks like you're trying really hard to argue about and dampen others' enthusiasm for their favourite. Like, really hard. And that, to me, is "sour". JMHO
    Is that what you call it "enthusiasm"? Trying to force
    your uber fan opinion that YuNa is the best ever down others throat? Sour is force your uber YuNa fan POV on others, and try to intimate ppl who do not exactly agree with you that Yuna is the best ever. I am not arguing YuNa deserve to win, I just diagree with the YuNa ubers who make a claim that she is the best ever.

There was a youtube video of Mirai practicing 3A when she was with Charlene. It was a bit UR (3/8-1/2 on most of the attempts), but it was progressing. That was during her "twinkie" days of being tiny, 14 and fearless. Haven't seen vid of her practicing same with Frank, but Frank may be trying to assert his control (clean "easy" elements, full program run throughs) as he IS the coach.

As for the toe pointing comment about Yuna = it appears she's wearing something that looks suspiciously like a top end Jackson FS boot based on the boot shape which notoriously is a "non-pointing" boot. I wore Reidells for YEARS and then switched to Harlicks and my first day my coach commented on the improved toe point. If Jacksons are what's comfortable for her feet, then no reason to switch as many skaters have gone through the boot shuffle and injury because of it (Goebel, Lysacek, Czisney...)

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by mskater93 View Post
    There was a youtube video of Mirai practicing 3A when she was with Charlene. It was a bit UR (3/8-1/2 on most of the attempts), but it was progressing. That was during her "twinkie" days of being tiny, 14 and fearless. Haven't seen vid of her practicing same with Frank, but Frank may be trying to assert his control (clean "easy" elements, full program run throughs) as he IS the coach.
    I have no doubt that Nagasu has been practicing the 3A, I think most skaters try at one time or another. I have seen Shizuka practicing 3A way back in the 2003. I hope Nagasu will add 3A as part of her jump
    Last edited by rtureck; 02-26-2010 at 05:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rtureck View Post
    Is that what you call it "enthusiasm"? Trying to force
    your uber fan opinion that YuNa is the best ever down others throat? Sour is force your uber YuNa fan POV on others, and try to intimate ppl who do not exactly agree with you that Yuna is the best ever. I am not arguing YuNa deserve to win, I just diagree with the YuNa ubers who make a claim that she is the best ever.
    Honey, find anyone else on this board who calls me an "uber YuNa fan". And I never said "YuNa is the best ever."

Please get a brain.

And suck on a lemon if it helps you to de-sour.

Custom Title
    Honey, find anyone else on this board who calls me an "uber YuNa fan". And I never said "YuNa is the best ever."

Please get a brain.

And suck on a lemon if it helps you to de-sour.
    Maybe you should take your own advice to desour, speak from personal experience about suckiing lemon? This all started when some Yuna uber calls her the best ever. Please get a brain yourself, right back at you.

So if we both agree that Yuna deserves to win and she is not the best ever, what the heck are you so work up about?
    Last edited by rtureck; 02-26-2010 at 05:19 PM.

skating philosopher

Because I can't get enough of statistics....

Top 10 by most difficult element completed

1.) Yu-na Kim, KOR, 3Z-3T, 12.00
    2.) Joannie Rochette, CAN, 3Z-2T-2L, 10.00
    3.) Laura Lepisto, FIN, 3T-3T, 9.80
    4.) Mao Asada, JPN, 3A-2T, 9.70
    5.) Elena Glebona, EST, 3T-3T, 9.60
    6.) Akiko Suzuki, JPN, 3F-2T-2L, 9.30
    7.) Mirai Nagasu, USA, 3Z-2T-2T, 9.20
    8.) Sarah Hecken, GER, 3T-3T, 9.00
    9.) Alena Leonova, RUS, 3T-3T, 8.80
    10.) Rachel Flatt, USA, 3Z-2T, 8.43

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Layfan View Post
    Heh. I can understand your boyfriend's opinions on everything except Yuna and Mao...

Well, in my ongoing drive to stir up interest in figure skating at work, here's how far I got:

My boss watched the women's short on a feed with her two little girls (who tried to touch their toes the whole time, hee!) The next day, I asked, hey so did you watch what did you think? She said, "yeah it was fun. You must be happy, that American girl you told me about won!" I said what are talking about? She said "oh well, the last skater, Myray, she was in first." I said "what there were about 15 other skaters after her!" And she laughed and said "Oh, I just saw taht she was in first and though, cool the American won, and shut if off."

sigh.

Another colleague went up to me the day after Men's final and said oh my god I've suddenly become a huge fan of Evan. I said "I'm happy he won too but you know, there's a bit of a controversy because he didn't do a quad and the Russian did."

And she said, "Well I don't know about that. I just think Evan Plushenko is hot!"
    Very funny. :rolf:

this is why I am happy I can converse with knowledgeable, although disagreeable at time, figure skating fans on this forum.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
    Top 10 by most difficult element completed

1.) Yu-na Kim, KOR, 3Z-3T, 12.00
    2.) Joannie Rochette, CAN, 3Z-2T-2L, 10.00
    3.) Laura Lepisto, FIN, 3T-3T, 9.80
    4.) Mao Asada, JPN, 3A-2T, 9.70
    5.) Elena Glebona, EST, 3T-3T, 9.60
    6.) Akiko Suzuki, JPN, 3F-2T-2L, 9.30
    7.) Mirai Nagasu, USA, 3Z-2T-2T, 9.20
    8.) Sarah Hecken, GER, 3T-3T, 9.00
    9.) Alena Leonova, RUS, 3T-3T, 8.80
    10.) Rachel Flatt, USA, 3Z-2T, 8.43
    WOW Nagasu's 3z/2t/2t is 0.8 behind Joannie's 3z/2t/2l. Just a 2l makes so much difference

On the Ice
    Then he asked what language was spoken in Finland and wouldn't believe me when I said "Finnish".
    Falls into the same category with "hungry" and "turkey", I guess. But hey, thanks (Layfan also) for bringing forth this different point of view. It's understandable, but terrifying, how the great majority doesn't understand FS and its magnificence at all. Here we had this journalist who went ranting about Plushenko's quadruple lutz.

Btw, many have pointed out (sorry, don't fathom the multiple quotes) Yu-na's points compared to mens'. That Kim should have beaten the men if she got the same PC factor. However, I think there's a reason mens' factor is higher than the womens'. Isn't that a fundamental claim for their greater physical ability? I don't think Kim should be factored like them. And even like this, she does well enough.

On the Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by tralfamadorian View Post
    I didn't manage to wake up in the middle of the night, I just finished watching the last group up to Joannie so far, so I'm only going to comment on Mao/Yuna for now.

First of all, my impression from this Olympics is that the COP did a lot of good things but also a lot of bad things for skating. The good thing is that the ladies used to bore me to tears before but anymore, the programs have become so much more interesting, there wasn't one skater in the top 15 (of the short program) whose program I didn't enjoy (didn't see the rest), and the same is true for what I've seen of the long so far.

But on the other hand the scoring is beginning to turn me off figure skating big time, because IMO it has taken dishonest scoring to a whole new level. At least under the 6.0 system, you could only give a skater a relative advantage, now they can be given an absolute advantage so big that noone has any chance to catch up to. I also think with the COP you can almost place the skaters anywhere you want with the component/GOE scores, and sometimes some skaters are very blatantly under/overscored in a way that I've not seen before, and this is a HUGE turnoff for me.

Yuna was absolutey brilliant and she completely deserved her win, but the 20 point advantage is ridiculous.
    I really can't imagine how Mao felt when she heard the scores for Yuna, that score was so huge that I think Mao had zero chance to win no matter what. I was really afraid she would collapse under the pressure, so RESPECT to her for landing both triple axels, just wow. Of course, she also made some mistakes, so I don't have any issues with her second place, and actually even if she went clean, I would still be ok with second place, but not with a score difference of 20 points which is just absurd. I feel Mao wasn't given even a theoretical chane to win this and that leaves a very bad taste for me.

I liked both Miki and Rachel, and I have to say I'm very pleasantly surprised by the US ladies because every performance I've seen from them was very enjoyable with good choreo and great musicality, so congrats to them as well.
    I agree with this so much. In fact, after Yuna's score came up, I turned off the TV for a few seconds because I was afraid to watch Mao. I could just picture her standing there thinking "omg, there's no way I can win" and just collapse. Obviously Mao is stronger than me and delivered her 3axels, and her score was a little high as well. However, that 150-something is still just disgusting. The psychological pressure it puts on other competitors is just cruel.

COP has turned me off skating big time, as I find the GOE and PCS scores just ridiculous sometimes. Hopefully it's just me though.

Quote Originally Posted by QuadLutz View Post
    Falls into the same category with "hungry" and "turkey", I guess. But hey, thanks (Layfan also) for bringing forth this different point of view. It's understandable, but terrifying, how the great majority doesn't understand FS and its magnificence at all. Here we had this journalist who went ranting about Plushenko's quadruple lutz.

Btw, many have pointed out (sorry, don't fathom the multiple quotes) Yu-na's points compared to mens'. That Kim should have beaten the men if she got the same PC factor. However, I think there's a reason mens' factor is higher than the womens'. Isn't that a fundamental claim for their greater physical ability? I don't think Kim should be factored like them. And even like this, she does well enough.

And yes, you are right about the PCS factor; I heard that the ISU wanted to try to keep it proportional to the typical technical scores attained by the Men and Ladies, respectively, so they factor it higher for the guys.

To multiple-quote, there is a button the bottom-right of every post that looks like "+. Click that for every quote you want to add, then when you "Reply to Thread", they should all be included in the box.

Mashimaro on Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by pshla View Post
    I agree with this so much. In fact, after Yuna's score came up, I turned off the TV for a few seconds because I was afraid to watch Mao. I could just picture her standing there thinking "omg, there's no way I can win" and just collapse. Obviously Mao is stronger than me and delivered her 3axels, and her score was a little high as well. However, that 150-something is still just disgusting. The psychological pressure it puts on other competitors is just cruel.

COP has turned me off skating big time, as I find the GOE and PCS scores just ridiculous sometimes. Hopefully it's just me though.
    I'm also a bit turned off. I was so nervous watching Mao skate but she was much stronger than I expected! The range in scoring of the CoP is just a bit excessive. I think because there isn't really a limit score is there?. In the old system, 6.0 was the highest one can get. Maybe the CoP should have a limit score too.

Rinkside
    Quote Originally Posted by pshla

I thought Mao would break down too. I thought Rachael was unfairly downgraded on her jumps (they looked totally fine to me), and I thought Mirai had the skate of the night and was undermarked for it. Mirai had same the 2A/3T as Yuna. She had arguably better spins and spirals. She didn't have the 3L/3T, but she did have the 3Lo-2A sequence. And she ended up losing by 25 points? That makes no sense.

Page 115 of 125 FirstFirst ... 15 65 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 ... LastLast