Ladies' LP | Page 67 | Golden Skate

Ladies' LP

pshla

Rinkside
I'm really so so sad for Mao, not because she didn't win gold, but because of how disappointed she looked on the podium.

Mao of 2008 was one of the best skaters I've ever seen under both systems. I hope she rediscovers that Mao again and bring her back in time for the next Olympics!

Moxie

On the Ice
Well, 2 years ago Yuna was suffering a lot of injuries.
I hope neither she nor Mao retire after this year. They're both only 19!
And I think they push each other to be better and better.

R.D.

Record Breaker
I don't know how yu na's back really is but that is the reason she said she was retiring after the Olympics no matter the result. She made this comment like 2 years ago so who knows if things has changed.

Well, the mob was following her around before. But as the Olympic champ she'll NEVER get a break. I think she should go out on top and enjoy, milk that medal for all it's worth back home. Maybe even do some skating tours...revive pro skating in Asia or something.

UM84

On the Ice
I don't know how yu na's back really is but that is the reason she said she was retiring after the Olympics no matter the result. She made this comment like 2 years ago so who knows if things has changed.

Yuna hates all the press she gets. Unless it dies down I don't see her coming back. She won her country the medal now hopefully they will leave her alone

Daniel5555

On the Ice
UM84
Now I will say Yuna is the best ever under the new system
That is well known and established. What I'm claiming is that she is the best ever. I mean ever.

Now you can not agree with this.

About retirement: Yuna will NOT retire just now. At least she will go to Worlds. Then she'll decide if she will retire or not. The life is much more than skating anyway.

wonbinfan86

Match Penalty
What basically killed mao the past couple of seasons is the scrutiny they've been putting on correct edges, rotation, etc (which is completely justified)... when COP was still fairly new they were VERY lenient with rotation, edge calls (in most cases flutzing was completely overlooked).. if somehow Mao was able to correct her lutz and get the full rotation on the triple loop in combination like she used to she wouldnt have had to use the jump layout she did this season and could have easily matched Yuna's 150 with a clean performance

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
I'm talking about the axels only, people were saying she'd done three A3s but it was two, which is what she's gone into the record books for.

If I understand correctly the 3 triple axels is referring to 3 in the whole comp, sp and lp.

yunasashafan

On the Ice
This is the best damn Olympics ladies figure skating competition in terms of the top 4 skaters ever. The winner skated two monstrously difficult programs back to back with ease and even a sense of humor. The silver medalist landed 3 triple axels! The bronze medalist landed 7 ratified triples, the most out of anybody in the free. And Ms. 4th place skated a perfect short followed by a perfect long to come in 4th at the Olympics despite having a dismal season internationally prior to this. We have got to do this again. :biggrin:

This!

mhu714

On the Ice
Originally posted by UM84

Yuna hates all the press she gets. Unless it dies down I don't see her coming back. She won her country the medal now hopefully they will leave her alone

Yeah, but what is she going to do? If she really loves skating, and nobody who skates that beautifully doesn't, she'll be bored stiff. Maybe she needs to take some serious time off, but i hope she sticks around. If she's not better than MK, she's the closest thing to her I've seen.

stickle

Rinkside
The size doesn't bother me, but they look like a train ran over them or something. So crooked.

The medals are beautiful! The undulation in them represents the ocean and the mountains and each medal has a different design created by aboriginal artists. They are unique and honestly, this board is the first place I've ever heard anyone say anything negative about them. They've been widely praised and lauded for their artistic beauty.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I'm talking about the axels only, people were saying she'd done three A3s but it was two, which is what she's gone into the record books for.

Ohhh...I was confused. Well she did 3 3As in the entire competition, isn't that a record as well?

pshla

Rinkside

Uhh.....I don't know about that. I think she sorta courts some of the media attention by appearing on so many commercials and TV shows.

I think Yuna might want to retire on top, and that's her right. I still want to see her compete for a few more years though, since she's at her prime. I think her going pro is going to be wonderful for the pro skating scene in Asia though. Even now, any skating show with the word "Yuna Kim" on it sells out in minutes.

Cadiva

On the Ice
If I understand correctly the 3 triple axels is referring to 3 in the whole comp, sp and lp.

Aye but the record book entry is for the two triples in the Free Skate :)

Ohhh...I was confused. Well she did 3 3As in the entire competition, isn't that a record as well?

There may be another record for her performing three overall but the record they're talking about was the two triple As in the one programme.

Last edited:

Nadia01

Final Flight
Japan better be happy for Mao!!!!
They're not.

Now they're hounding that poor girl, demanding to know about why she popped 3T, etc. etc.

And they've already started a bunch of specials, analyzing Mao & Yuna's LP side by side to determine why Mao lost gold.

NHK newsroom mood was very down after Mao's silver.

It's a travesty.

Gymfan15

On the Ice
Oh yeah, I was about to say, not just the best ladies Olympics, but for me, the best figure skating Olympics EVAH!!!!!!!!!!! Everyone I wanted to win, won. (Well, I would have prefered D/W over V/M but V/M had the better performance that night so I'm not begrudging them at all!). Shen and Zhou = finally, finally, finally. Evan Lysacek = in your face, jumping bean Plushenko (why yes, the other parts of your program DO count!). Dance = North America RULES, and Ladies = LADIES ARE AWESOME!!!!!

SOOOO different from Torino's splatfest in all disciplines! Ladies especially. Ok, so Ladies was a little less heart-pumping because Yuna was such a clear favorite, but we got our share of adrenaline and memorable performances from the likes of Joannie Rochette and Mirai Nagasu.

Vancouver = BEST WINTER OLYMPIC GAMES EVAH!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D

Nadia01

Final Flight
Uhh.....I don't know about that. I think she sorta courts some of the media attention by appearing on so many commercials and TV shows.

I think Yuna might want to retire on top, and that's her right. I still want to see her compete for a few more years though, since she's at her prime. I think her going pro is going to be wonderful for the pro skating scene in Asia though. Even now, any skating show with the word "Yuna Kim" on it sells out in minutes.

She does that to pay for her own training and to sponsor some promising young skaters from Korea. Because she didn't grow up rich, and her parents had to make so many sacrifices for her, she doesn't want the younger skaters from Korea to suffer or give up due to money.

Daniel5555

On the Ice
Well she did 3 3As in the entire competition, isn't that a record as well?
Mao can be officially called the Queen of Triple Axel now. If she will continue to the next season, and she will, she may do incredibly amazing.

mhu714
Yeah, but what is she going to do?
Living normal life, or sort of it. She at least can try it in Canada. In Korea it's impossible, of course...

nothingmuch

Rinkside
I dont think it's all about pressure from the nation and people's anticipation;I'm from China,I think the reason why she cried is that she has been playing versus Yuna since their childhood,and clearly they two both compare with each other every encounter in their career.
Dont you feel bad when someone you regularly meet in junior events,and you used to win finally grow into a superpower while you just have to stay in second place.This Olympic is like a final confirmation and seal to this fact.
Mao cried basically for this fate she went through.