Ladies' LP | Page 68 | Golden Skate

Ladies' LP

Iscariot

On the Ice
Mao asada will suffer the same history as Miki 4 years ago, I hope she can just wake up and see that what she is doing now its so incorrect, I dont know how worlds are going to be, but i really want her to win that :(

DesertRoad

Final Flight
The medals are beautiful! The undulation in them represents the ocean and the mountains and each medal has a different design created by aboriginal artists. They are unique and honestly, this board is the first place I've ever heard anyone say anything negative about them. They've been widely praised and lauded for their artistic beauty.

You must hang out with some serious people. I've heard those medals referred to as pringles and bent can lids from lots of people by now. Supporting your country doesn't mean supporting everything it does, especially ridiculous things like this. And supporting creativity and out of the box thinking doesn't mean supporting outright bad ideas. Now excuse me while I sell these nouveau riche athlete celebrities my patented medal iron.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
She does that to pay for her own training and to sponsor some promising young skaters from Korea. Because she didn't grow up rich, and her parents had to make so many sacrifices for her, she doesn't want the younger skaters from Korea to suffer or give up due to money.

I believe it was mentioned that she's funding the entire Korean juniors program by herself.

*Sniper*

On the Ice
Actually let's give credit where credit is due. Mao did four triples

Which brings me with more STATS!
Triples count:
Joannie Rochette: 7
Alena Leonova: 7
Yu-na Kim: 6
Mirai Nagasu: 6
Miki Ando: 6
Ksenia Markrova: 6
Larua Lepisto: 5
Rachael Flatt: 5
Akiko Suzuki: 5
Cynthia Phaneuf: 5
Min Jung-Kwak: 5
Mao Asada: 4
Kiira Korpi: 4

Complete Triple-Triple combos
Yu-na Kim - 3Z-3T
Laura Lepisto - 3T-3T
Alena Leonova - 3T-3T
Ksenia Markrova 3T-3T
Sarah Hecken 3T-3T
Elena Glebova 3T-3T

Thank you for providing the stats, Mrs. P.
Highly appreciate it.
But did Mao really do only 4 triples in LP??
Okay, I gotta check out the protocol one more time.
But TWO of the four were 3As!
That is some weird discrepancy in her jumps.
I don't know if I've seen something like that before.

Daniel5555

On the Ice
And, by the way, I really hope that Japan will not be harsh to Mao. She did everything she could and she was amazing.

Layfan

Record Breaker
I did enjoy Mirai's performance the most tonight. She surprised me, and what a nice surprise it was!
(I didn't see what she did in Nationals, and as some poster said here that it had even more fire than tonight, I am so going to go watch it.)
I have to admit, though, I could enjoy it more because I got less nervous after Yuna and Mao's programs.
My eyes were tied at the TV screen throughout Yuna's performance, and I'm not sure if I was breathing when Mao attempted the second 3A!
Oh, and I was so much touched by what Joannie did..

I was nervous during Mirai's whole performance but slowly started to relax because as she kept hitting her jumps I though.. okay, she's doing it again!! I wasn't surprised. Definitely recommend you watch her nationals performace.... I knew she could wow at the Olympic but of course, you never know what people are going to do under pressure...

I want to concentrate on what amazing performances Kim, Mao and Joannie gave because I haven't seen such great top three skater since Tara, Michelle and Chen Lu in 1998. But I just can't stop thinking about Mirai! Skating last turned out to be the best thing for her. I remember thinking, gosh I hope she doesn't get frustrated skating last when the medals will basically have been decided. I hope she thinks, "this is my chance to show the world what I can do and give them a last impression" And she did!

Rachael was very good too and it certainly seem the U.S. has its best chance of getting their three spots back at worlds with those two on the team. I just hope Rachael and Mirai can keep up the stamina! I mean, now. Both gave great performances in two pressure-filled competitions in a row. Wow. It's really an accomplishment that shouldn't be overlooked - those two Americans basically repeating their great nationals performances.

gold12345

Medalist
Yuna hates all the press she gets. Unless it dies down I don't see her coming back. She won her country the medal now hopefully they will leave her alone

She's also making millions and millions of dollars from all of that attention. While the attention does seem to get out of hand at times, nobody is forcing her to accept all the endorsement opportunities she is getting. I think all the money alone may be enough of a reason for her to keep competing at least a little while longer.

pshla

Rinkside
They're not.

Now they're hounding that poor girl, demanding to know about why she popped 3T, etc. etc.

And they've already started a bunch of specials, analyzing Mao & Yuna's LP side by side to determine why Mao lost gold.

NHK newsroom mood was very down after Mao's silver.

It's a travesty.

This just makes me so mad. I'd like to see the people criticizing Mao go out on the ice and do half of the things she's capable of. Luckily, Japan already has a gold medal in figure skating. Otherwise, I can't even imagine what they'd do to this lovely girl.

I just hope Mao won't let the disappointment and pressure break her down. She's so young, with such a wonderful future ahead of her. If anything, her triple axels will be remembered forever. Plenty of great skaters missed out on the OGM, and we love them just the same!

When she won the worlds in 2008, I thought she was on her way to becoming one of the best female skaters ever. It's too bad what happened to her in the last 2 years. I hope something changes to bring back the joyful Mao we all love so much!

pshla

Rinkside
I believe it was mentioned that she's funding the entire Korean juniors program by herself.

What? Oh my.....what a wonderful person. She deserves everything she's gotten, and more! No wonder they are treating her as a national hero in Korea. She's certainly behaving like one!

miki88

Medalist
Why in the world would she retire? I know she's been under incredibly intense pressure but that should be at least a little less now that she stood up to it and won the gold in smashing fashion. I guess she could tour with SOI or some Asian equivalent but there's nothing like competition and she's totally in her prime. She could win in '14 easily as long as she stays in shape. Mao is the one who should go. She'll never beat Kim unless Kim makes several errors, and Mao has some serious flaws in her skating even though those 3a's are stupendous. I'm really excited about how great Nagasu skated, and that her triples were not UR. If anyone can catch up to Kim, it's her (though I doubt it).

Aren't you being a bit harsh on Mao? I mean you can never predict what will happen in 4 years.

Morning Glory

On the Ice
They're not.

Now they're hounding that poor girl, demanding to know about why she popped 3T, etc. etc.

And they've already started a bunch of specials, analyzing Mao & Yuna's LP side by side to determine why Mao lost gold.

It's a travesty.

Really? I think they are sad because Mao looks sad. I don't find any words blaming Mao at Japanese board. Many people are cheering her up.

pshla

Rinkside
She does that to pay for her own training and to sponsor some promising young skaters from Korea. Because she didn't grow up rich, and her parents had to make so many sacrifices for her, she doesn't want the younger skaters from Korea to suffer or give up due to money.

Don't get me wrong. She deserves the attention, of course, after everything she's done for her country and this sport. All I'm saying is that I don't think she hates being in the spotlight.

Layfan

Record Breaker
They're not.

It's a travesty.[/QUOTE

This is devastating to hear. It makes me so angry.

aftertherain

Record Breaker
They're not.

It's a travesty.

IF THAT is TRUE, it will bring my happiness down ... by a lot. =(

hikki

Final Flight
Country
Japan
Congrats to Yuna. What a woman.

Can I just say I think the Japanese media has been VERY gentle to Mao? If the poster(s) above are referring to the interview right after the LP, the interviewer did not ask any questions whatsoever that are mean.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Actually let's give credit where credit is due. Mao did four triples

Which brings me with more STATS!
Triples count:
Joannie Rochette: 7 (2 3Z)
Alena Leonova: 7 ( 1 3Z)
Yu-na Kim: 6 (2 3Z)
Mirai Nagasu: 6 (2 3Z)
Miki Ando: 6 (2 3Z)
Ksenia Markrova: 6 (1 3F)
Larua Lepisto: 5 (1 3Z)
Rachael Flatt: 5 (2 3Z)
Akiko Suzuki: 5 (1 3Z)
Cynthia Phaneuf: 5 (1 3Z)
Min Jung-Kwak: 5 (1 3Z)
Mao Asada: 4 (2 3A)
Kiira Korpi: 4 (1 3Z)
Sarah Hecken: 4 (2 3S)

Complete Triple-Triple combos
Yu-na Kim - 3Z-3T
Laura Lepisto - 3T-3T
Alena Leonova - 3T-3T
Ksenia Markrova 3T-3T
Sarah Hecken 3T-3T
Elena Glebova 3T-3T

Edited to add the hardest jump completed and also that Sarah Hecken should be in the top list (though her jumps were not difficult).

Last edited:

Layfan

Record Breaker
Really? I think they are sad because Mao looks sad. I don't find any words blaming Mao at Japanese board. Many people are cheering her up.

Ah well, THAT's good to hear. I hope this is the case. I love Mao's skating. She's one of my favourites. I think it's amazing that she does the 3a but even more amazing that she does the jump AND she has exquisite qualities in the other aspects of her skating. She's very rare and I for one am so glad that she won the silver and was a factor at these games... It was just devastating to see a skater as special as her have the kind of season she had been having.

Nadia01

Final Flight
What? Oh my.....what a wonderful person. She deserves everything she's gotten, and more! No wonder they are treating her as a national hero in Korea. She's certainly behaving like one!

She also donates a lot of money to charity, including relief efort for Haiti earthquake victims. Her donation was greater than some of Korean corporations'.

I don't think she's doing endorsements to make herself rich, but to help out others who are less fortunate than her.

Layfan

Record Breaker
Congrats to Yuna. What a woman.

Can I just say I think the Japanese media has been VERY gentle to Mao? If the poster(s) above are referring to the interview right after the LP, the interviewer did not ask any questions whatsoever that are mean.

Thanks for saying that.