Ladies' LP | Page 69 | Golden Skate

Ladies' LP

Nadia01

Final Flight
Don't get me wrong. She deserves the attention, of course, after everything she's done for her country and this sport. All I'm saying is that I don't think she hates being in the spotlight.

I know, but she can't look like she hates the spotlight and make $. Does that make sense? She has to be in the spotlight to make money to pay for her training and others' training, etc.

If you look at her old interviews and clips, seh looks really miserable being displayed in public.

krln99

Rinkside
I think if Shizuka can win at 25 (granted everyone crashed and burned in Torino!) Mao can win at 23 in Sochi if she chooses to stay.

*Sniper*

On the Ice
I think the biggest thing to come out of the ladies tonight, beside Yuna's score, was that the US ladies really do have legitimate hope in the near future.
Like other posters have mentioned numerous times already, with Mirai (gorgeous!!) and Flatt (not exactly my style, but still very good!), getting the three spots back would be the start.

R.D.

Record Breaker
They're not.

Now they're hounding that poor girl, demanding to know about why she popped 3T, etc. etc.

And they've already started a bunch of specials, analyzing Mao & Yuna's LP side by side to determine why Mao lost gold.

NHK newsroom mood was very down after Mao's silver.

It's a travesty.

Oh man. I think I actually feel bad for her.

Daniel5555

On the Ice
pshla
All I'm saying is that I don't think she hates being in the spotlight.
She doesn't hate it, but she is not used to it and most likely will never be. But that's too much to explain. I'm not able to do this right now.

Nadia01

Final Flight
Thanks for saying that.

Actually it went something like this:

Mao: I'm vexed.

Interviewer: Why are you vexed? What was the most vexing thing?

Mao: I made 2 mistakes.

Interviewer: Oh. Tell us about your triple toe. What happened?

Mao: (trying to compose herself again)

Don't you think that's just nasty? :-(

Ugh. What kind of idiot asks her "why are you vexed"?

DesertRoad

Final Flight
Don't get me wrong. She deserves the attention, of course, after everything she's done for her country and this sport. All I'm saying is that I don't think she hates being in the spotlight.

There's a difference between hoping the press shows up when you announce a press conference and having paparazzis staking out your house and banging on your car window every time you go out. It's the difference between being loved and being stalked. If you really can't tell the difference, please don't get into a relationship. :biggrin:

pokky_oc

On the Ice
GUYS!! Mao's SAD because she didn't skate clean!!:sheesh::sheesh:

Not because she won silver... Imagine skating after Yu-Na and seeing 228 and 150 in your eyes... If I was standing in that position, I would probably withdraw and start crying:cry: But she landed two of her triple axels, some how, and they were WOW!!:agree: Mao should realise how beautiful the silver medal is once she returns to the Athlete's Village!!

pshla

Rinkside
I think if Shizuka can win at 25 (granted everyone crashed and burned in Torino!) Mao can win at 23 in Sochi if she chooses to stay.

I'd love that. However, after watching Mirai Nagasu skate like that as a 16yo, I can't help but think the next OGM is hers to lose. Aside from a little more strength and maturity that will surely come with age, her skating just has it all. Her performance brought me right out of my seat today.

aurora100

Final Flight
Oh yeah, I was about to say, not just the best ladies Olympics, but for me, the best figure skating Olympics EVAH!!!!!!!!!!! Everyone I wanted to win, won. (Well, I would have prefered D/W over V/M but V/M had the better performance that night so I'm not begrudging them at all!). Shen and Zhou = finally, finally, finally. Evan Lysacek = in your face, jumping bean Plushenko (why yes, the other parts of your program DO count!). Dance = North America RULES, and Ladies = LADIES ARE AWESOME!!!!!

SOOOO different from Torino's splatfest in all disciplines! Ladies especially. Ok, so Ladies was a little less heart-pumping because Yuna was such a clear favorite, but we got our share of adrenaline and memorable performances from the likes of Joannie Rochette and Mirai Nagasu.

Vancouver = BEST WINTER OLYMPIC GAMES EVAH!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D

Finally someone saying exactly what I feel. After 30 years of watching I love this new judging system. Every skate gets scored for each and everything they put on the ice on that day. jumps, spins, spirals, throws, step sequences, musicality. And this Olympics, Gold Medals are exactly who deserved to win because they came and they put them down when it counted.
:clap::rock::boohoo::rofl::bow:

Nadia01

Final Flight
There's a difference between hoping the press shows up when you announce a press conference and having paparazzis staking out your house and banging on your car window every time you go out. It's the difference between being loved and being stalked. If you really can't tell the difference, please don't get into a relationship. :biggrin:
:thumbsup:

Ah well, THAT's good to hear. I hope this is the case. I love Mao's skating. She's one of my favourites. I think it's amazing that she does the 3a but even more amazing that she does the jump AND she has exquisite qualities in the other aspects of her skating. She's very rare and I for one am so glad that she won the silver and was a factor at these games... It was just devastating to see a skater as special as her have the kind of season she had been having.

I agree with you. There's a buoyant quality to Mao's skating, and a charm to her persona on the ice. And what courage! You could see her just plowing through that program--"I'll show them!" Wonderful as YuNa is, Mao is also splendid. I'm glad to hear that Japanese fans are cheering her up rather than criticizing her. There's nothing to criticize. Kurt Browning and Michelle Kwan, each among the greatest skaters in history, don't have an OGM. Browning doesn't have an Olympic medal of any color. So what? They're still heart-stopping, and so is Mao. I hope she's able to rise above whatever disappointment she feels, as she rose above the nerves and the memory of a tough season to wow us all tonight.

DesertRoad

Final Flight

As I recall, everybody else crashed and burned because Shizuka was landing 3/3s and 3/3/2s left and right in practice. They tried so hard to catch up they wind up falling all over themselves, so that Shizuka didn't even have to go for the difficulty. Yes, Shizuka won strategically, but she could only do it because she had the technical goods to back it up and hold it over the competition.

And if Mao continues to compete, and I think she will, barring any injuries, she absolutely could be competitive at 23. I mean if Mao can fix her triple axel until they don't get downgraded in the space of a month, I'm sure she can fix her combo 3loop and even get that real 3lutz working with all that time. And the system may loosen up by then. Right now, I don't see why Mao couldn't win gold in Sochi.

aurora100

Final Flight

Exactly, Yuna has said that she regrets not being able to walk down the street and not be noticed. And some fans have scared her.

Hsuhs

Record Breaker
GUYS!! Mao's SAD because she didn't skate clean!!:sheesh::sheesh:

Must be that, since she's a perfectionist. But she shouldn't be so sad. Season started badly, finished on a high note. All the hard work wasn't for nothing. And an olys silver is a great accomplishment. I hope she realizes that.

Lucky Star

Final Flight
Happy for the top 3! :agree: Congrats!

And glad for Alena Leonova, she skated with injury, good job! :thumbsup:

rain

Record Breaker
Yu Na was in a league of her own tonight. In terms of performance quality, very few of the women even came close to the feeling for the music that Yu Na displayed — Joannie was next best here, in my estimation. Far too many of the ladies just skated with their music happening to be on at the same time.

Joannie was totally inspiring with that wonderful skate. What a fighter to put that down under the circumstances.

Asada looked so disappointed with silver, but really, she has not addressed the weaknesses in her skating that she needs to in order to challenge Yu Na. She has put all her eggs in the triple axel basket, and it just isn't enough. Her costume, music and choreography all looked totally wrong for her. She had absolutely no feeling for her music whatsoever — to me this is her most serious flaw, and it is something the Yu Na has come to do exceptionally well. A hope she takes a long, hard, look and goes in another direction with her skating, because I do think she has the potential.

Ando's program was nothing but skating around and jumping (which she did well). But it ended up being rather dull.

Laura Lepisto was on and she was beautiful. What a gorgeous performance.

All in all it was a great night of skating, with other great performances coming from both of the American ladies as well as Suzuki.