Ladies' LP | Page 70 | Golden Skate

Ladies' LP

babyalligator

On the Ice
i can't wait to see what mirai will bring to the ice either! she really is my favorite us ladies' skater right now, and i have a feeling, will be for a while... what makes me even happier is that there is only room for mirai to get even better than she already is now! she's beaten the hardships she's had from that growth spurt, and coming out of the olympics as a 16 year old placing 4th...i only hope she rides that momentum and motivation and kicks some serious figure skating butt!

pshla

Rinkside
There's a difference between hoping the press shows up when you announce a press conference and having paparazzis staking out your house and banging on your car window every time you go out. It's the difference between being loved and being stalked. If you really can't tell the difference, please don't get into a relationship. :biggrin:

How about I rephrase myself by saying that she probably likes the perks of being famous, such as having adoring fans who cheer her on and having money to pay for training, but hates having her private life disrupted. Let's settle it this way, k? I really don't mean any disrespect towards Yuna at all. I think she's a great skater and an even better person, but to say she loaths absolutely everything about being famous is just a little ridiculous imo.

treshot

Rinkside
They're not.

Now they're hounding that poor girl, demanding to know about why she popped 3T, etc. etc.

And they've already started a bunch of specials, analyzing Mao & Yuna's LP side by side to determine why Mao lost gold.

NHK newsroom mood was very down after Mao's silver.

It's a travesty.

God, I knew this would happen. Initial disappointment is inevitable, but I do hope that they get their act together by the time that Mao goes back to Japan, and will treat her like Olympic silver medalist. I will curse every one of them if they do what they did to Miki and just turn cold shoulders. Come on, Japan, you declared that you love Mao. When you love someone, you support her no matter what and take pride in her achievement. I want to see that. Look at her - she's already done so much and she still has a lot left in her tank. She needs her country to be on her side now. Please, please be nice.

Congratulations to all three ladies, especially my girl Yuna!!!! I started watching figure skating because MK mesmerized me, but I never thought that Korea would have olympic champion. So proud of you!!

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
i can't wait to see what mirai will bring to the ice either! she really is my favorite us ladies' skater right now, and i have a feeling, will be for a while... what makes me even happier is that there is only room for mirai to get even better than she already is now! she's beaten the hardships she's had from that growth spurt, and coming out of the olympics as a 16 year old placing 4th...i only hope she rides that momentum and motivation and kicks some serious figure skating butt!

Yes, I was impressed with Mirai. I think she's going to be the one that wil rise more in the next four years. Rachael is probably going to go do the college thing, so I think it will be tough to be competitive. PLUS we got Ashley Wagner, Christina Gao and some other promising folks!

Daniel5555

On the Ice
It looks like this night really changed something in the most of us.
Thinking about it, almost all of the ladies showed us good programs. Alena, Laura, Mirai, Rachell... Only poor Carolina was out of it. That's really sad.

Hope that the best is yet to come for everyone.

Ren

On the Ice
Oh come on you guys. Comparing Michelle Kwan to Yu-Na Kim and arguing over which one is better is like comparing apples to oranges. Kim may have the OGM, but Michelle has the record and the titles. The OGM is not a lifetime acheivement award, as Michelle can attest to. IF Yuna skated for as long as Michelle did at the same level she did and had similar or better results, then maybe we can talk. They are both beautiful, amazing skaters with huge achievements under their belts, and they will BOTH be remembered in history; just for different things. Saying that one is "better" than the other is just stupid! Just because Nastia Liukin won the OGM, does that automatically make her better than Khorkina? I think not.

Hear, hear. And I think Yu-Na will be the first person to say what a great skater Michelle is. She and Kwan have that mutual admiration society going on. I don't Michelle and Yu-Na will be very happy if they knew their fans were badmouthing either skater.

pshla

Rinkside
Yes, I was impressed with Mirai. I think she's going to be the one that wil rise more in the next four years. Rachael is probably going to go do the college thing, so I think it will be tough to be competitive. PLUS we got Ashley Wagner, Christina Gao and some other promising folks!

Carolina Zhang will conquer her problems and fulfill her amazing potential, hopefully. She's seriously such a beautiful skater. Her spirals and spins put Sasha's to shame. I'll be so mad if she becomes the next Tiffany Chin.....or worse, the next Mira Leung.

gracefulswan

On the Ice
As someone who now lives in Korea, I can already tell the roof blew away. They've replayed her performance like 5 times now...including her short... her backstage presence, and all of the medal ceremony, includiing the 15 minutes or so of picture snapping with all the medalists... not to mention, after her short a few days ago they replayed her performance, the English NBC version... I'm sure we'll get another rehash of the competition along with about 10 more replays of her performance in primetime, LOL.

But that's Korea. They've replayed all the gold medal performances from the speed skating competition over and over again too. I can imagine they'll do this 2x more for Yuna's gold medal "grand slam" as they call it.

R.D.

Record Breaker
As someone who now lives in Korea, I can already tell the roof blew away. They've replayed her performance like 5 times now...including her short... her backstage presence, and all of the medal ceremony, includiing the 15 minutes or so of picture snapping with all the medalists... not to mention, after her short a few days ago they replayed her performance, the English NBC version... I'm sure we'll get another rehash of the competition along with about 10 more replays of her performance in primetime, LOL.

But that's Korea. They've replayed all the gold medal performances from the speed skating competition over and over again too. I can imagine they do this 2x more for Yuna's gold medal "grand slam" as they call it.

Wow...And here I am in America, thinking NBC is bad...

DesertRoad

Final Flight
How about I rephrase myself by saying that she probably likes the perks of being famous, such as having adoring fans who cheer her on and having money to pay for training, but hates having her private life disrupted. Let's settle it this way, k? I really don't mean any disrespect towards Yuna at all. I think she's a great skater and an even better person, but to say she loaths absolutely everything about being famous is just a little ridiculous imo.

Nobody said she loathes being famous. You're just arguing against an extreme straw man.

Saying that Yu Na doesn't like to be pestered by the press and fans 24/7 doesn't mean she hates the press and her fans all the time. It's very simple. There are things we all enjoy in life, but only at the right time. Turning them down at some other time doesn't mean we don't want it ever again.

aftertherain

Record Breaker
Who else thinks Brian Orser should score some commercials in South Korea (not including the one he already has with Yu-na)? xD

pshla

Rinkside

But that's Korea. They've replayed all the gold medal performances from the speed skating competition over and over again too. I can imagine they'll do this 2x more for Yuna's gold medal "grand slam" as they call it.

I know! Their love for Yuna is seriously amazing. All my Korean friends' facebook and twitter status/tweets are just Yuna Yuna Yuna......Queen Yuna indeed.

bmelanie

On the Ice
Wow...And here I am in America, thinking NBC is bad...

LOL, cut us some slack. It's our first ever elite-level figure skater, and she just gave us gold. We needed that after our women's short track relay team was disqualified for some bullshit reason.

skate4ever

Rinkside
We will never agree on who the best female skater of all time is because figure skating doesn't have a single number attached to an athlete like 100m dash.
However, I do believe that, in order to be considered as one of the best skaters of all time,
the OGM is not a sufficient, but a necessary condition.

Sorry Michelle. I know it's just a piece of metal with a strip of nylon (polyester?), but in my opinion, it bears that much significance.

krln99

Rinkside
Not ready to crown Nagasu the "favorite" just yet, but barring unforseen circumstances, she should be on the podium and challenging Mao (if she's back) for goild in Sochi.

pshla

Rinkside
Who else thinks Brian Orser should score some commercials in South Korea (not including the one he already has with Yu-na)? xD

That'd be amazing. Some of the South Korean commercials are just so much fun!

Btw, did Kwak Min Jung make the finals? I haven't caught any of her performances yet. My Korean friend just emailed me and called her the "next Yuna Kim".

Moxie

On the Ice
It looks like this night really changed something in the most of us.
Thinking about it, almost all of the ladies showed us good programs. Alena, Laura, Mirai, Rachell... Only poor Carolina was out of it. That's really sad.

Hope that the best is yet to come for everyone.

Yikes, I just noticed Caro did even worse tonight than at Worlds.

treshot

Rinkside
I'd love that. However, after watching Mirai Nagasu skate like that as a 16yo, I can't help but think the next OGM is hers to lose. Aside from a little more strength and maturity that will surely come with age, her skating just has it all. Her performance brought me right out of my seat today.

I really liked Mirai today too, but let's not hand out gold medal for Sochi just yet, that's just not fair to Vancouver that has just given us one of the greatest Olympics ever when it comes to ladies' figure skating :) Moreover, 4 years is a long time... nobody would have had Yuna beat Mao handily if they took a survey four years ago in Torino. I really do like some of the young skaters we saw today, and really hope they all realize their potentials.