Ladies' LP | Page 73 | Golden Skate

Ladies' LP

bmelanie

On the Ice
I have a hard time believing that Yu Na got anything less than a standing, roaring ovation after that perfect skate. The Canadian audiences know what they're looking at. They know the technical achievement she did, and perhaps more importantly, the mental one in overcoming the intense pressure on her. She could've skated to Ke$ha reciting the phonebook and they would've given her a standing ovation.

But I agree with your assessment of her program. It's actually my favorite competitive program of all the ladies this season. It's serene, joyful and yet has a sense of fun and flirtation (though the last two surely comes from Yu Na herself). I love the little bit of footwork sequence with the 3salchow sandwiched seamlessly in. She just floats across the ice like a watercolor brush to the peaceful yet delirious music. And yes, the music is peaceful, but it is by no means bland, it's got dynamics and rhythmic variations and color, all of which the choreography interprets beautifully. It's a very sophisticated work of art and a delightful contrast to her raucous, crowd-pleasing short program.

I'm so with you. I was so worried at first at her unusual choice of music - especially after the rousing Scheherazade of the previous season - and even after I watched it for the first time at TEB I was still feeling unsure, but then I realized that it was simply the most INTERESTING program I'd ever watched. I began to appreciate the transitions, the flow, the capricious changes in mood, the fun and the intensity. The music is extremely unpredictable - David Wilson talked about how difficult it was to edit Gershwin - and that in itself made skating to it such a challenge. There is no single way to pin down this program, it's simultaneously coy, sophisticated, even humorous. I'm both awed and thrilled that Yuna's Olympic season program was this one.

pshla

Rinkside
Also, in b4 Elvis protests the results.

LOL. Nice comment. He already protested after the sp. Hopefully, he's done.

To be honest, I kinda of agree with Elvis. I think difficult jumps should be worth more, but the way he's stating this absolutely turns me off.

screech

Final Flight
Has anyone noticed this is the first time Yuna skated both clean SP and LP?

I was just thinking the same thing.

Though Carolina's skate was sad, I saw this in an article and it kind of made me giggle a bit...
The flipside: Carolina Kostner of Italy, ranked seventh after the short program, fell approximately 386 times and scored roughly the same number of points that Orser would have tallied for peeling off his uniform and streaking across the ice.
Now that would have made for a very interesting Olympics! (Source)

jsteam4501s

On the Ice
Kim Yuna deserved to win, but why is that 228 total hyped as the world record? Kimmie Meissner scored 236 when she won 2006 Worlds. Stop calling Kim's 228 the world record!! It's Kimmie Meissner's 236 at 2006 Worlds! Get a Life! Grrrrrrrrrrrrhhhhhh!

Layfan

Record Breaker
Last thoughts for the night
1. Kim Yuna. Has there ever been an Olympic gold medal favorite who handled the pressure in quite the same way? You can nitpick and decide you like some of her earlier performances better but there is no question in my mind that we all just saw the greatest women's Olympic Gold medal performance of at least the past two decadea. Who else would get that title? Shizuka? A very clean and very elegant skate but reserved and a little forgettable. Sarah Hughes? HER greatest skate but hardly THE greatest skate on this list. Tara Lipinski? Amazing, but no. Oksana? Too many small mistakes. Kristi? Won despite a fall. And that's the last 20 years, peeps!
A little skeptical about the 150 and want to read more about it. But Kim won. By a lot.
2. Mao Asada. Amazing fighter and I just adore her skating. Bummer about the little mistakes that kept her score down but I was so incredibly happy to see this girl get the silver. She and Kim Yuna are the best of the bunch without a doubt and they totally deserved to be 1-2. I'm sad to see her be so sad and maybe someday she will realize what she has accomplished.
3. Joannie Rochette. I will watch her performances over and over and over again. I'm sure the weeks and months ahead will still be tough... but what a future she has. She is going to be absolutely beloved in Canada. Well, she already is.
4. Mirai. Way to take the world by storm! Now you've proved yourself. Keep working hard keeping believing in yourself.
5. Rachael. It's amazing that she and Mirai both managed to nearly duplicate what they did at nationals. I mean, who does that? I was suprised Rachael's scores weren't higher... want to know what others think about her urs... she seems to think the jumps were fine. A bit of a bummer. But she couldn't have given it anything else.
6. Congrats to Frank Carroll!! He coached the men's gold medalist and the ladies' breakout performance of the night.

Morning Glory

On the Ice
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Op_2klX3Nfs

Mao's interview!! the description of that post in wrong... The interviewer isn't asking that kind of question!! Mao did say that she was very disappointed with her performance though... And that's why she's crying...

Translation:

Interviewer: What was your four minutes like?? ( FS )

Mao Asada: Well... It was really... Long but short at the same time...

Interviewer: Which part of the program did you feel that?

Mao starts crying... Trying to compose herself...

Mao Asada: It was four minutes... I was thinking too much and I thought it very was long... But if I look back it was finished so quickly...

Interviewer: Before your performance, you were listening to music... ( Almost crying... ) What was going on in your mind?

Mao Asada: But, I think I did what I was capable of.. But I'm still unhappy about the performance... But I did what I'm capable of...

Interviewer:You landed all of your triple axels at the Olympic stage and did you grain any confidence because of that?

Mao Asada: Yeah... I landed two of my triple axels so that went really well but because I made mistakes in the other parts, I'm not happy about it.

Interviewer: If you look back in to the last four years, I know you had many different stages, some difficult...l... If you return back home later , what will you be thinking about most?

Mao Asada: But, the performance it self, I wasn't happy about it and the triple axesl was the only good part of the program.

Mao Asada: Thank you very much.

It took me a while to translate it!!

Thank you for your translation!

jeanettetan

On the Ice
Congratulations to all the medalists !!

My impressions.

Miki was absolutely gorgeous.

Loved her beautiful, elegant performance, even her fingertips movements were delicate and detailed.
Although I enjoyed her SP as well, and her costume was beautiful, she seemed a bit tentative with that performance.

Yuna had two great performances, and I like her facial expressions. Her 3 3 is always huge and fantastic. Her jumps were great. Strong performance.
My favorite of her programs are still Danse Macabre and Tango de Roxanne.
Love those programs.

Loved Mao‘s LP . Her performance was very strong, her jumps were spot on, her triple axles were fantastic. For her SP I wish she would do a program like her her Nocturne program, I miss that one, because I think it fits her style better. Either that or maybe adapt her tango exhibition that she did a while ago into a competition program.

Mirai had two wonderful performances. Loved both of them, especially her LP. Wonderful sense of style. Great detailed hand and fingertips movements. Love her skating, and her sense of humor. Her future looks very bright.

Joannie was brave to go ahead and perform after the tragedy with her mother. Her jumps looked very solid.

For ice dancing -

Loved Kokhlova and Nivitsky' Free Dance. A lot of fun. Jana especially is such a talented artist.

Not impressed at all with NBC skating coverage.

Most annoying -

Sandra Bezic and Scott Hamilton's really annoying and biased commentary.

i agree with everything :thumbsup:

I still think Kokhlova and Nivitsky's FD costumes are too loud, but what's new :laugh:

I'm really annoyed by sandra and scott too! they underestimate all the other skaters at this competition! it's ladies figure skating not yuna's figure skating!

magicalwords

On the Ice
I didn't fully get into Yu-Na's Gershwin program this season, but I was totally captivated by her tonight. Absolutely beautiful. Gorgeous. Now I think I know why people praise this program so much.

Once again, congrats to all the medalists and now I'm off to watch the last group on NBC (...Yu-Na's program for fourth time :laugh:) on TV now!!

aftertherain

Record Breaker
Kim Yuna deserved to win, but why is that 228 total hyped as the world record? Kimmie Meissner scored 236 when she won 2006 Worlds. Stop calling Kim's 228 the world record!! It's Kimmie Meissner's 236 at 2006 Worlds! Get a Life! Grrrrrrrrrrrrhhhhhh!

That's because it was before the Judging system was tweaked and the qualifiying rounds taken out. It doesn't count. If it did, I would've brought Fumie's score at world's up a LOOOONG TIME AGO.

I think you should get a life as well, by the way.

Last edited:

DesertRoad

Final Flight
I'm so with you. I was so worried at first at her unusual choice of music - especially after the rousing Scheherazade of the previous season - and even after I watched it for the first time at TEB I was still feeling unsure, but then I realized that it was simply the most INTERESTING program I'd ever watched. I began to appreciate the transitions, the flow, the capricious changes in mood, the fun and the intensity. The music is extremely unpredictable - David Wilson talked about how difficult it was to edit Gershwin - and that in itself made skating to it such a challenge. There is no single way to pin down this program, it's simultaneously coy, sophisticated, even humorous. I'm both awed and thrilled that Yuna's Olympic season program was this one.

Beautifully stated!

This long program has its lineage in some of the classic ladies programs like Michelle Kwan's Lyra Angelica and Janet Lynn's Afternoon of a Faun. It's that archetype of feminine grace and calm, except Yu Na adds an extra dimension to it with her own sensuality.

pokky_oc

On the Ice

Actually Kim would have scored 266.08 if she skated in 2006 lol They had qualifying round which gave skaters extra 20-40 points. Mao would have scored 238.43 and Joannie 235.46. And Kimmie Meissner actually scored 218.33 at the 2006 Worlds!

The qualifying round is your free skate score factorised by 0.25... It's gone now!

Kimmie would have came 9th with her score in 2006 behind Laura Lepisto at this Olympic games!!:agree:

Last edited:

aurora100

Final Flight
That'd be amazing. Some of the South Korean commercials are just so much fun!

Btw, did Kwak Min Jung make the finals? I haven't caught any of her performances yet. My Korean friend just emailed me and called her the "next Yuna Kim".

Kwak did a fabulous job in LP. She landed all her jumps I believe and she was really happy with her score. She came 13th I believe. Canadian commentator Rod Black called her "Mini-Yuna".

Jasper

Final Flight
What an amazing night of figure skating. I am so awe-struck and impressed by the top 4. And we couldn't have three more deserving medalists. Yu-Na compartmentalized all that pressure and FINALLY skated a perfect long with all jumps in place and landed beautifully. Tonight was the night to do it. I sure hope she stays in the competitive game because she can master any type of music! Meanwhile, Mao's triple axels were simply historic. They were so on in this competition. She deserves so much credit for that technical mastery, although I am happy Yu-Na was around, as she possesses more of the complete package in terms of all aspects of skating. I don't even know what to say about Joannie; she is a hero and has such a strong will. Wow. Mirai is definitely on track for an Olympic podium finish in the future, and how fitting that she beat the other American who is so uninspiring and contrived in all of her movements. Mirai had the best spins of the final group.

Thank god the final group also had no falls and was predominantly clean! What a change from Torino when the top women for all a mess, especially Sasha and Irina.

pshla

Rinkside
Kwak did a fabulous job in LP. She landed all her jumps I believe and she was really happy with her score. She came 13th I believe. Canadian commentator Rod Black called her "Mini-Yuna".

Yay! Something to look forward to then! Do you think she'll be a podium threat come 2014?

Actually, now I believe Yuna will carry on. If anything, Korea needs her to earn them spots for WC.