Ladies' LP | Page 78 | Golden Skate

Ladies' LP

yangjie

On the Ice
I really enjoyed watching the all skaters, which gave me energy.

Thank you.

for someone who forgot this, I want to emphasize this.

MAO DID three 3As in her skating!!!!! THATS FANTASTIC! SHE MADE THE HISTORY OF THE LADIES FIGURESKATING!!

rtureck

Final Flight
BTW... its's not just because she is the reigning WC and now OC that I called her Best EVER.

In my opinion, possible anyone standing in her way to become the Best Ever is Kwan and possible Witt...

I do call her the best because there was never a complete package in Woment's figure skating.. you can argue all you want but I'm sure you can't argue Yuna's clean techniques and true artistry..
I haven't argue anything against YuNa's OGM yet. Obviously you have your definition of what makes a skater "best ever". Clean technique, I agree YuNa has clean technique, she is not the only who has clean technique. "True artistry", now that is entirely too subjective. I guess that is why so far in the sports history there has not been an award given to the so call "best ever skater". Anyway why can't fans celebrate their favorite w/o those gushes of "best ever" claims?

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
Thoughts in general on the ladies' competition

The highlight of the penultimate flight was Leonova's exuberant reaction after her program. The low point was the implosion of Kostner, and to a lesser extent, Gedevanishvili.

I was pretty impressed with all the skaters in the final flight. Rachael really pulled it off to start with, except her spins weren't that impressive. Miki was technically impressive but artistically underwhelming. Yu-Na was perfection, although I think Mao and Joannie skate with more heart. I was happy to see Mao land the two triple axels, but sad to see her mess up later on. I thought it would be a fight for gold with Yu-Na until about the middle of the program when Mao did the single jump and also tripped. I'm glad Joannie got the bronze (more for sentimental reasons, I have to admit). It was a pretty good program, but I've definitely seen her skate better. She seemed tense near the end and I guess as someone mentioned it was because she was behind her music. I didn't know that for sure during the program but my Mom mentioned that it seemed that way and then someone confirmed it on here. I'm a bit surprised that Miki got lower on technical elements than her. I was expecting Joannie to be ahead in the PCS, but techincal elements? I would have thought Miki's were higher.. her jump elements definitely were better.. but maybe she got dinged on spins and footwork or something?? Mirai was amazing, too bad she was back in 6th after the short program or she might have challenged here. I was expecting her to be a little bit closer to Rochette in the FS score too although I guess the 5 or so points she was behind her isn't THAT much. All in all I'm satisfied with the medalists though. Even though it wasn't Joannie's best performance she is a talented skater. I can't wait to see Rachael and Mirai medal in Sochi (hopefully!) I wonder if Mao and Yu-Na will stick around that long.. if so.. and no major changes are made.. maybe Rachael and Mirai won't both medal..

hikki

Final Flight
Country
Japan
Can't believe I forgot to say yay Akiko for her first major international event done so so well!

tralfamadorian

Rinkside
I didn't manage to wake up in the middle of the night, I just finished watching the last group up to Joannie so far, so I'm only going to comment on Mao/Yuna for now.

First of all, my impression from this Olympics is that the COP did a lot of good things but also a lot of bad things for skating. The good thing is that the ladies used to bore me to tears before but anymore, the programs have become so much more interesting, there wasn't one skater in the top 15 (of the short program) whose program I didn't enjoy (didn't see the rest), and the same is true for what I've seen of the long so far.

But on the other hand the scoring is beginning to turn me off figure skating big time, because IMO it has taken dishonest scoring to a whole new level. At least under the 6.0 system, you could only give a skater a relative advantage, now they can be given an absolute advantage so big that noone has any chance to catch up to. I also think with the COP you can almost place the skaters anywhere you want with the component/GOE scores, and sometimes some skaters are very blatantly under/overscored in a way that I've not seen before, and this is a HUGE turnoff for me.

Yuna was absolutey brilliant and she completely deserved her win, but the 20 point advantage is ridiculous.
I really can't imagine how Mao felt when she heard the scores for Yuna, that score was so huge that I think Mao had zero chance to win no matter what. I was really afraid she would collapse under the pressure, so RESPECT to her for landing both triple axels, just wow. Of course, she also made some mistakes, so I don't have any issues with her second place, and actually even if she went clean, I would still be ok with second place, but not with a score difference of 20 points which is just absurd. I feel Mao wasn't given even a theoretical chane to win this and that leaves a very bad taste for me.

I liked both Miki and Rachel, and I have to say I'm very pleasantly surprised by the US ladies because every performance I've seen from them was very enjoyable with good choreo and great musicality, so congrats to them as well.

screech

Final Flight
Well, if you find it, let me know :) I'm still looking for it....
I clicked on their name to get to their profile, and on the left there's a link you can select to add them to your ignore list.

Can't believe I forgot to say yay Akiko for her first major international event done so so well!
Her program was amazing - sold so amazingly well. And the jumps were awesome too. Same with Mirai. I at first thought she was going to beat Joannie in the LP (but not overall) but was still pleasantly surprised and happy with her 4th place. To come 4th at your first major senior international competition, which just happens to be the Olympics - WOW!

seniorita

Record Breaker
I m so happy with yesterday, ladies event was the best, no splats (i watched the final only) and no splats in sp, watch out Mr Men!
I dont know why Mao was sad in podium but there was no way she could pass the 150 of Yuna(wow..150) even if she did 3axels and..2 quads all the way!
Yet I m happy with her silver, all my sentimental favs in all 4 disciplines these Olys got silver and bronze so I started to like the colors (lol)
Best skate of the group ms Mirai, just wow!
Congrads to queen Yuna and about Joannie, what can I say..Unbelievable what she did, the highlight of Olys for me.:)

bibi24

Final Flight
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Op_2klX3Nfs

Mao's interview!! the description of that post in wrong... The interviewer isn't asking that kind of question!! Mao did say that she was very disappointed with her performance though... And that's why she's crying...

Translation:

Interviewer: What was your four minutes like?? ( FS )

Mao Asada: Well... It was really... Long but short at the same time...

Interviewer: Which part of the program did you feel that?

Mao starts crying... Trying to compose herself...

Mao Asada: It was four minutes... I was thinking too much and I thought it very was long... But if I look back it was finished so quickly...

Interviewer: Before your performance, you were listening to music... ( Almost crying... ) What was going on in your mind?

Mao Asada: But, I think I did what I was capable of.. But I'm still unhappy about the performance... But I did what I'm capable of...

Interviewer:You landed all of your triple axels at the Olympic stage and did you grain any confidence because of that?

Mao Asada: Yeah... I landed two of my triple axels so that went really well but because I made mistakes in the other parts, I'm not happy about it.

Interviewer: If you look back in to the last four years, I know you had many different stages, some difficult...l... If you return back home later , what will you be thinking about most?

Mao Asada: But, the performance it self, I wasn't happy about it and the triple axesl was the only good part of the program.

Mao Asada: Thank you very much.

It took me a while to translate it!!

Thank y0u sooo much for trans!!

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Yu-Na Kim: I don't think her performance was completely in the zone; she was calculated and a bit nervous. Of course she deserved to win, but her score was ridiculous.

I like Yu-Na's program quite a bit, but one of the big problems in Women's figure skating right now is that the Spirals are SO monotone. They completely bring programs to a grinding halt. Yu-Na's program suffered because of that. I very much appreciate her program but it could have been better if she wasn't forced to do that damn Spiral Sequence. This is why I would rate Arakawa's performance from 2006 better artistically...she was actually able to perform a Spiral Sequence that fit within the Code of Points AND looked stunning AND worked with the music.

Just in general, the scoring system forces skaters to focus far too much on useless movements. It detracts from the programs and makes it nearly impossible to give performances that aren't self-conscious. Tara Lipinski and Sarah Hughes DID have better programs than Yu-Na because, despite her being a more talented skater, they were able to skate with a freedom that the current system seemingly doesn't allow.

The skating tonight really was strong, though. I don't think a final flight of skaters has ever been more solid? Nobody fell or popped jumps; there were just a few bobbles. Everyone went out and pretty much delivered as athletes.

Mao Asada: It was great to see her nail those Triple Axels but the program is so disappointing. At times it seems like Mao was trying to play a vampire and, if that was the case, she should have GONE for it all the way and made the performance completely dark and terrifying. She is an incredibly talented skater but desperately needs better coaching - someone who understands that she is a great lyrical skater AND also understands that Triple Axels aren't everything. Despite Mao's Axels, the rest of her program is actually pretty watered down. She doesn't do a Lutz and she doesn't do a Triple-Triple (which is something she performed brilliantly in the past).

Joannie Rochette: I think that is the best performance she has ever given. Technically there were a couple mistakes, and I'm not a big fan of her skating in general, but she felt the music and displayed great emotion.

Mirai Nagasu: I've loved her ever since 2007. She is immensely talented and, barring injury, will be the top American female from now up through 2014. I am SO glad she was placed ahead of Miki Ando - richly deserved.

Rachael Flatt: Was screwed over a bit; the problem of inconsistent under-rotation calls strikes again. She should have placed 5th. I didn't find her performance to be quite as lively as the one she gave at Nationals but, regardless, she skated a clean program. Miki Ando didn't do a Triple-Triple and was fairly tentative throughout. Given that Miki lacks quality in the rest of her skating, there's really no reason she deserved to place higher (other than politics and clout, of course).

Puppylove

Rinkside
Sorry, still haven't worked out how to quote previous posts.

Kawaymao - is this person actually psychiatrically ILL???? I'm not talking about him/her clearly bashing certain skaters and rooting for another. It's just the whole tone of the posts. I mean, if I was alone in a room and this person walked in talking like that, I think I would run the hell out of the room for my safety, in case she's carrying a knife or something.

TT_Fin

The second worst besserwisser in the world
Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I missed Alena Leonova; I taped the competition and just woke up watch live when the 3rd group had started. Finland's tv prefered to show cross-country skiing award, and some skaters i propably missed because of women's ice hockey award ceremony. I think there had been more figure skating lovers awake than people who would really have been interested to see those ceremonies. But they thought Finland's rare bronze medal are more important. It took me some time to find out to turn on eurosport.

Laura had said in an interview that she had listened to heavy music just before the competition. Finnish commentator has the opinion that LAura's step sequency is among one of the best, and that's what se gets always scores. She liked Mirai a lot and expected her to get on the podium after her skating and was litlle suprised she got the points about the same level as Laura. I myself was just happy to see 3z, I think this time it was just hold on, but the best I've seen so far. But she needs couple of more clean jumps in the future, there are promising youngsters in europe as well.

Both of Finnish skaters said that the are going to continue the next four year period.

Ren

On the Ice
I've been soaking up everyone else's reactions that I forgot to chime in my own.:laugh:

I wasn't really interested during the first flight. I wish that Tugba's skate had gone better. Her starting position must have really gotten to her. In this group, I liked Sarah Hecken's dress best.

In the 2nd group, only Cynthia Phaneuf really elicited my interest. Mistakes aside, I liked her Cleopatra performance better than Miki's, even though Miki was superior in technique. Min-Jung Kwak's Biellmann was nice, but she was a bit slow and didn't seem to feel the music much, which was a shame because it was Les Miserables she was skating to. I would have liked to see Sarah Meier skate cleanly, but my Juliet will always be Sasha Cohen. I was as stunned as Cheltzie when she fell, and kept thinking, come on, get up and go on! I'm glad she was able to hold on somehow.

I must confess that it was only when Akiko Suzuki started skating that I perked up. (Alena's performance was good, but I couldn't help comparing her program to Jenny Kirk's version of Chicago. I prefer Jenny's dress, choreography and overall performance.) Akiko is my favorite of the Japanese ladies. Mao has better technique and Akiko's positions are not the best in the business, but I like the way the latter gets into the music. I always eagerly awaiting her step sequence because that is when the full force of her liveliness, of her energetic personality is unleashed. I love her dynamic West Side Story free skate.:love:

I was sorry to see Carolina's disappointment. Why didn't she stay with Frank Carroll? Elene Gedevanishvili was great, but unfortunately, my one true Carmen is Katarina Witt. Ksenia Makarova seems promising.

In the final flight, Rachael seemed solid, but I guess my inexperienced eye did not detect her downgrades. Is it just me, or does her lutz technique seem a little..weird? I was glad that Miki decided to forgo the dress she wore at GPF (As in, snake? Er..eek?). Sad that she couldn't skate her program as well as she would like.

Yu-Na was wonderful. I've said earlier that when the season had just begun, I was unsure of her music choice (I'd been used to seeing her Scheherazade), but today's performance ultimately won me over. I realized that it was another facet of the gem that is Yu-Na, polished, and revealed by her hard work with Orser and Wilson. Because the only version of the program I've seen before today was the TEB one, I was at the edge of my seat to see if she would be perfect. She was; it was a skate for the ages. I'm happy for her and her pillars of support--her coach, choreographer, training team, family, friends and fans. Such huge scores, though in general, scoring was generous, I think. There was no question about her placement.

I was a little worried for Mao, because she had to skate after Yu-Na's excellent routine. Not only had it been so noisy, but I read somewhere that there were so many gifts thrown on the ice that they filled 4 bags.:laugh: It was a thorn off the chest when she did the flawless 3As. However, I knew her gold medal hunt was over when she made those costly mistakes. I thought that the door was now open for Joannie. I applaud Mao for going after what she wanted (her triple axels), and for holding it together after her missteps. That took some nerve. :thumbsup:

What can be said about Joannie? She definitely was on a different plane. I admire her for her courage in the face of grief. She channeled her emotions into her performance.

Mirai, Mirai. How apt her name. Mirai, your 'future' is is dawning on the horizon.:biggrin: Great positions, great choreography. She was quick and expressive. I loved her free skate, even though Witt is my definitive Carmen.

Skates of the night, in no particular order:
1. Yu-Na Kim
2. Akiko Suzuki
3. Mirai Nagasu
4. Joannie Rochette

All in all, a very satisfying competition. Congratulations to all the medalists and other competitors! I hope we see them all again at Worlds.

leruiz

Rinkside
Wow, what a night for ladies figure skating especially the last group. Joannie did great but with at least one mistake but her skating is commendable and inspirational after what happened. Mao will go down in history as the first woman to land 3 triple axels in competition and delivering right after an awesome program from Yuna. Yuna was just wow, she hit every jump and spin. Mirai was great too, she is the future but she delivered and delivered so well after all those amazing programs, no easy feat to do.

edge31

Rinkside
First of all, my impression from this Olympics is that the COP did a lot of good things but also a lot of bad things for skating. The good thing is that the ladies used to bore me to tears before but anymore, the programs have become so much more interesting, there wasn't one skater in the top 15 (of the short program) whose program I didn't enjoy (didn't see the rest), and the same is true for what I've seen of the long so far.

But on the other hand the scoring is beginning to turn me off figure skating big time, because IMO it has taken dishonest scoring to a whole new level. At least under the 6.0 system, you could only give a skater a relative advantage, now they can be given an absolute advantage so big that noone has any chance to catch up to. I also think with the COP you can almost place the skaters anywhere you want with the component/GOE scores, and sometimes some skaters are very blatantly under/overscored in a way that I've not seen before, and this is a HUGE turnoff for me.

Yuna was absolutey brilliant and she completely deserved her win, but the 20 point advantage is ridiculous.

Exactly right in my opinion. I mean +18 points in "quality" alone? Methinks jump values may not be the only things that need tweaking.
First it's too subjective - and because we are talking math, it can make someone else winnng impossible.
Second, the rules are a little loose, as far as how many bullets get what values. Discretion of the judges.
If I were to look at that 3L/3T, I would give it 3 bullets (4,6 & 7) - which following the guidelines gives her +1. A solid +2 for that seems high to me. It has nice height and distance and is balanced, but there was nothing else extraordinary about it ( even good per the form).

Also, the PCS has been climbing all season despite the program itself being 98% the same. Of course performance and ex. differ, but the other categories have pretty much been consistent all season, except for yesterday. They climbed dramatically by more than 5 points. That's ridiculous. Each category was up by more or less an entire point! It makes no sense.

This is not a criticism of Kim, but more of how the system is still not right. I'm sure other skaters, depending on who they are, have also had inflated scores. I think most of the scoring in these games has been inflated, no matter who it is.
This would be fine as far as the fact that skating is subjective, etc, but if we are going to just do basically the same as the 6.0 system at the end of the day, we might as well skip all this mathematical nonsense and make it easy on ourselves!

Yikes!:eek:hwell:

Despite this, there was good skating all around - congrats to all the skaters for a solid effort!

hikki

Final Flight
Country
Japan
While everyone seems to be asleep and with this thread quiet, I'll write some random stuff.
  • Miki received almost no +GOEs for her jumps, even for her beautiful 3lutz/2loop.
  • Mao received +2.6 GOEs for her spiral sequence, making it a total of 6.0
  • Yuna got +17.4 GOEs in total.
  • Mirai obtained only +1.4 for layback, +0.2 for 3lp+2axel and +1.0 for her 2axel right from eagle.
  • Akiko's step sequence got +1.0, only beaten by Mao's 1.1.

*Sniper*

On the Ice
What a wonderful night of ladies skating indeed!

Yuna She made everything look so easy and flawless.
The only time I sensed any type of struggle was with her free leg in the spiral sequence.
(Also it was very interesting to hear Sandra Bezic mention how they often tease Brian Orser about the extension of her free leg and that he does stress it to Yuna, but she doesn't like to do it more than what's necessary.... or something like that.)

Anyway, for her to nail such a clean, controlled, and yet technically superb program like that, error-free for the first time this season(!), with the amount of stress and expectation she was under, you just got to tip your hat.

Mao She skated in the toughest spot and really laid everything out on the ice.
The flip and the popped 3T (did her skate blade get caught in a crack just before that? what happened there?) were unfortunate, but again, a standing ovation for her resiliency and perseverance!

My heart ached to see her trying to hold back tears during the medal ceremony, and I really hope that when all the craziness dies down, she can truly be proud of what she achieved these nights (3 3As) and of the color of her medal.

Joannie A heart of a champion!! Mrs. Rochette must be so proud.
I'm sure she had the best seat in the house..... T.T

Miki AHHHHH what was that?
To me, it looked as if she had already conceded any hope for a spot on the podium even before she skated.
No emotion, no real connection to the music, no effort to portray the character of Cleopatra.
That was.... sad and disappointing.

the American ladies Mirai and Rachael did the fans very proud.
Mirai is a real deal.
Well done!!

NBC Not to show 2/3 of the skaters is one thing, but how can they not even bother to show the complete standing even once?

Last edited: