Ladies' LP | Page 79 | Golden Skate

Ladies' LP

screech

Final Flight
Johnny Weir was just on Aussie TV giving his take on the Ladies:

- Cheltzie Lee - if she keeps working on her artistry and the harder jumps - someone to look out for (she already has something good)
- Joannie - doesn't know how she did it but she was amazing and doesn't think he'd be able to do that in her place, but it's a testament to her strength and her mother's strength, the real star of the Games to him
- Mao - the triple axels were amazing, but to him it looked like she was working through the whole thing, and like she knew she had to fight to even have a chance
- Kim - that she was perfection and didn't even put a finger wrong, and that she's surpassed Katarina Witt, that every time she performs it feels like it's fresh and new every time. Made mention that her score would have had her in the top 10 in the mens, that she is the new generation of skating

- He'll be back on tomorrow discussing the fashion of the Games

On a personal note about the fashions, does anyone else absolutely hate it and cringe when they see flesh coloured fabric that does not match the skater's flesh tone (or when it's too thick?) It just makes me want to say 'oh sweetie, no!' I also despise unnecessary flesh fabric - if its not there to keep your costume up/together or for cut-outs (a la Joannie) then don't use it!!

Last edited:

hikki

Final Flight
Country
Japan
re: screech
Channel 9 really love him don't they? I read an article in a gay magazine how Eddie Mcguire and the crew made homophoic jokes in segments earlier so it's interesting to see Johnny appear every night! He's so articulate and witty.

screech

Final Flight
I know - it's almost like they now love his personality and want to make up their jerkiness by pimping him. I love it! They completley want him to come to Oz now. I'd love to see him on Aussie Dancing with the Stars (if he doesn't do the US one).

He is an extremely gifted public speaker. I love how he speaks his mind but still refrains from talking poorly about anyone in particular, just about situations, and even still, he is as diplomatically correct as possible while still offering a bowlfull of sass. I never used to be a huge fan of his, but in the past few months I've developed a bit of a girl-crush on him.

Can't wait to see his take on the fashions!

katymay

Medalist
While everyone seems to be asleep and with this thread quiet, I'll write some random stuff.
  • Miki received almost no +GOEs for her jumps, even for her beautiful 3lutz/2loop.
  • Mao received +2.6 GOEs for her spiral sequence, making it a total of 6.0
  • Yuna got +17.4 GOEs in total.
  • Mirai obtained only +1.4 for layback, +0.2 for 3lp+2axel and +1.0 for her 2axel right from eagle.
  • Akiko's step sequence got +1.0, only beaten by Mao's 1.1.

Wow. I have a problem with most of that-for one thing, YuNa's spiral, since she does not point her toe-is hard to watch. I will also add-and sorry for those I offend, that Joanne seemed to get some 'dead mother' points added to the PCS. I thought Akiko's program was the best of the night by the way, the sheer joy of her skating should have added a few points. I found it difficult to watch skaters who looked as if they might be executed by their federation if they fell.
Was Yuna overscored? Yes, but for three years, YuNa and Mao have been the titans of figure skating. They deserved to go one/two just based on the past four years. They have taken the sport to a new level.

S

sleepyjl

Saying that, you are only hurting Mao...

I agree. Mao-bots only end up hurting the image of Japanese people, and Yuna fans do the same disservice to Koreans. ENOUGH!!! Now that the gunfight at the OK corral is finally over, let's return to civility please.

figuristka

Medalist
Thrilling performances. Iam so happy i was able to watch the last 2 groups. No question Yu na Kim, Mao, and Joannie deserved their placements, they are all champions. Its an honour to be able to watch each of them.

Mirai was wonderful to end, what a bright star. I always prefered her to Flatt, she has the grace and beauty of the top skater's just need a little more maturity. Baring any injuries, she will be a World champion one day. Laura Lepisto is another skater with a good future.

Please, if anyone at all has a link or upload of the medal ceremony please let me know. It was my one sad moment of the mornig, when i could not see it.

S

sleepyjl

Mao. I have so many things to say. I'm heartbroken because she looked so sad. I was so happy she did so well in the short and to see that smile finally. Landing three 3axels at the Olympics and taking home Silver is such an accomplishment. But objectively speaking, I really think she needs to know what her strengths are, which should affect her coaching/ music/ training location/ etc. choices. But it has to come from her. I really hope she gets to rest!

OK, now that the Olympics are over I think I can accurately say that Tarasova did not help Mao's chances at all and may have actually hurt them. Why the hell was she focusing so much on the 3A to the detriment of Mao's other elements? The fact that Mao only ended up with 4 successful triple jumps in the LP is Tarasova's fault and her fault alone. Does she not understand simple arithmetic? You don't win by wowing the judges with a single trick; you do a series of tricks that cumulatively add up to a monster score. Her horrible costuming and music choices aside (cuz let's be honest, if Mao ended up winning the gold we'd all be praising Tarasova's genius in selecting a more "serious" piece with suitably "dark" costumes), her inability to work the CoP system was criminally negligent.

Last edited:

figuristka

Medalist
Gosh i didn't know this site got trolls, what a shame. I think we all really admire Mao Asada and would not let that affect our admiration for her. She should be proud of her Silver medal. She is a wonderful skater in her own right too. As i said they are all Champions but very few would not agree with the placement of the medalists.

janetfan

Match Penalty
I thought the podium was right and was happy to see Mirai placed 4th. IMO Mirai should have also been 4th after the SP.
But such limited coverage from NBC last night. I missed Akiko and Laura and have read they skated beautiful LP's.

Hope to see their programs soon.....

Lightbulb

Rinkside
torrents! i need torrents of the women's sp and lp. anyone? please! ;)

i have a question. when was the last time both the men's and women's world champion went on to win the olympics?

UM84

On the Ice
Mao=Plushenko. You both need to stop fosucsing on just 1 jump, and more on the skating program as a whole

Aside from the lousy coverage by NBC, what I did see was:

Cheltze - So good to watch a new girl on the block. Hope her coach has her developing more technical skills. As for performance, the choreogapher gives her the blueprint and she takes it from there with her own personality. She has star quality.

Rachael - Star quality is something she needs. Her tech is greater than her performance. How can that be fixed?

Miki - has seen better days. This was not one of them. She never seems to get into the character of the music except for costumes.

Mirai - How lucky the USFS is to have her. She's an excellent competitor with a flair for performance. She'll be first on everyone's list next season.

Joannie - all the news reports cover her well.

Mao - Hard to believe two 3As didn't do it. Was it the fault of the music? She showed no personality in that early work of Rach's.

Yuna - an open note to Orser: Get her to do a ballet barre (20 minutes) everday to show a proper arabasque. As it is, the program would look better without a Spiral. It's bad technique that should be corrected. The knee should turn out; the toe must be pointed. Otherwise she is Fabulous.

Tigger

Final Flight
Before I say anything else...After everything that Lady has been through this week, I never want to see anyone question Joannie's Mental Toughness ever again!! For her to just even go and skate, forget about just how incredably she skated, I couldn't have done it if our positions were switched. For Joannie to be able to do what she has done under the circumstances, from now on, she can do anything because there will be nothing harder than what Joannie faced this week.

I remember when I saw her for the first time at 2002 Canadians when she made such a big splash in her Senior Debut, landing on the Podium and also making the National Team. I thought then Joannie was something special. Over the years, she's confirmed that feeling I had that night and more.

So very proud of her!!!

I haven't even gone to bed yet, but when I heard Joannie was about to appear on Olympic Morning on CTV, I decided to wait until I saw it. Many Kudos to Bev Thompson on the way she handled that interview w/Joannie. She was sensitive and also very kind to Joannie w/the questions she asked. Very well done interview!!

What a night of skating we were just treated to!! I don't remember the last time we had such an incredable Final Flight at an Olympic Games in the Ladies event. All the women rose to the occasion and then some!!

Yu Na....What can be said that hasn't been said? The only thing that was cheated in regards to Yu Na, is that we didn't get a split screen of her skating on one side, and on the other seeing Brian "skating" along w/her behind the boards!! W/the unbelievable amount of pressure that was on that young lady's shoulders, did she ever deliver. Congratulations and well deserved!!!

Mao....Congratulations to her too. I honestly did not think I'd be seeing her on that Podium the way she'd been skating this year. So happy she did. An Olympic Medal *and* Olympic Skating History w/the three Triple Axels...Nothing at all to be ashamed of and everything to celebrate over.

Joannie...So very proud of her. She has truly shown the Heart and Grace of a Champion!!

Mirai...WOW!!!! I still can't believe that's the same skater I saw at Skate Canada. Changing coaches to Frank Carroll...I remember when everyone was wondering if it was the right move or not for Mirai. I don't think anyone's wondering that anymore. Just imagine how much she'll improve after working w/him for more than just half a year (Can't remember when Mirai made the switch and I'm really running out of steam here, so forgive the brain freeze...) or however long they've been together. Just....WOW!!!! What a Coming Out Party for her!!

What a night last night....AMAZING!!!

screech

Final Flight
Mao - Hard to believe two 3As didn't do it. Was it the fault of the music? She showed no personality in that early work of Rach's.

I agree. The music (and costume) was a bit too much for her. It doesn't help that (to me at least) the music belongs to Jeff Buttle, circa 2005. Her triple axel is amazing though. Hopefully she works on her lutz to get that back in her program and gets something a bit lighter to skate to. She is a lovely skater, but she doesn't quite have the 'command' and 'power' to skate to the pieces she chose.

edge31

Rinkside
While everyone seems to be asleep and with this thread quiet, I'll write some random stuff.
  • Miki received almost no +GOEs for her jumps, even for her beautiful 3lutz/2loop.
  • Mao received +2.6 GOEs for her spiral sequence, making it a total of 6.0
  • Yuna got +17.4 GOEs in total.
  • Mirai obtained only +1.4 for layback, +0.2 for 3lp+2axel and +1.0 for her 2axel right from eagle.
  • Akiko's step sequence got +1.0, only beaten by Mao's 1.1.

Mirai's layback should have gotten +2 for that.... the scoring is seriously flawed.
And Miki should have been able to garner some +GOEs for her jumps. They were all ok and nice size.

essence_of_soy

On the Ice
I know - it's almost like they now love his personality and want to make up their jerkiness by pimping him. I love it! They completley want him to come to Oz now. I'd love to see him on Aussie Dancing with the Stars (if he doesn't do the US one).

He is an extremely gifted public speaker. I love how he speaks his mind but still refrains from talking poorly about anyone in particular, just about situations, and even still, he is as diplomatically correct as possible while still offering a bowlfull of sass. I never used to be a huge fan of his, but in the past few months I've developed a bit of a girl-crush on him.

Can't wait to see his take on the fashions!

Johnny is brilliant. A triumph for male skaters everywhere that he was able to take Channel Nine's locker room sniggering, and not only turn them around, but make their broadcast a ratings winner.

The Australian coverage is still pretty ordinary, but for once, I'm proud of their coverage and proud to be a fellow Aussie. (Still relieved I have been able to download the entire competition elsewhere, though...lol)

Nick Pilgrim
aussieskates.com

taaak

Rinkside
wow, ladies were amazing, congratulations yuna mao and joannie :agree:
and realy liked mirai tooo :love:

elene :cry: :cry: :cry:

Last edited:

edge31

Rinkside
I agree. The music (and costume) was a bit too much for her. It doesn't help that (to me at least) the music belongs to Jeff Buttle, circa 2005. Her triple axel is amazing though. Hopefully she works on her lutz to get that back in her program and gets something a bit lighter to skate to. She is a lovely skater, but she doesn't quite have the 'command' and 'power' to skate to the pieces she chose.

I rather enjoyed the Rach piece that she skated. But then I am a fan of the abstract, sometimes expressionless, Russian style - ie M&D in 94 long program pairs. I think it was smart to give her something with a strong undercurrent.. anyone who can do 2 3A in a program has every right to skate to stronger music.
But again this is personal taste.

Mafke

Medalist
(Still relieved I have been able to download the entire competition elsewhere, though...lol)

hints? for complicated reasons I wasn't able to record from tv (or be around when things are broadcast) and the incredibly idiotic youtube policy means I haven't seen much...... (just what wrong is being set right by banning videos from youtube? what unmet need is being met by doing that? hating the IOC and NBC?)