Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Could a perfect Kwan have beaten a perfect Yu-Na?

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    I ll give you away to Mathman and Kwanwife
    Last edited by seniorita; 02-26-2010 at 10:31 AM. Reason: wrong verb

Shoe Diva
    Hi guys! Guess whose back?!? And what a wonderful welcome home from an "Up In The Air" February... Sorry, Ant, but I couldn't resist...

IMO - which is NEVER humble - I think a perfect Kwan could and would beat a perfect Yuna. And when I say perfect Kwan, I mean Red Violin Kwan @ Worlds. That program is just perfect - its actually the program I think of when I ponder what was the intention behind CoP because it was jammed packed with everything we hold dear in figure skating...

But its funny because I DON'T think a perfect Kwan would've beat a perfect Mao - at least under 6.0. Those two triple axles would've made up for a lot and the flutz wouldn't be an issue.

I'll even go a step further and say that I'm not sure that under 6.0 Yuna would be as dominant as she is under CoP. Not enough triples and weak-ish spirals.

But Ant is totally accurate: A Kween trumps a Queen anyday... Yuna had a legendary season - Kwan is a legend. But give Yuna time - she'll get there.

Custom Title
    Mathman, loved that "and your point is?" Touche!!! People mess with us Kwan fans at their own peril.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    And your point is?
    Hey I am a big Yuna fan but you can't mess with the Kween.. even Yuna knows that!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by baltimorefan View Post
    ... go!
    no way...only in Korea

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by yunasashafan View Post
    Hey I am a big Yuna fan but you can't mess with the Kween.. even Yuna knows that!
    Now, Sasha on the other hand ... just kidding (let's see if anyone will catch the bait)

Beliver in Sasha's Perfect Program Tinymavy15's Avatar
    Of course Michelle could not have beat Yu-na. or else Mirai would have won the Olympics. Mirai skated two clean programs with no 3/3, usually what Michelle did when she was healthy. Michele would have had higher PCS, but she never tried a 2 axel/3toe. A clean Michelle would have been third tops at this olympics.

Rinkside
    It's meaningless question.
    The mutual admiration and love between Yuna and Michelle is so nice and heartwarming to watch.
    Someone who is jealous of their beautiful relationship wants to ask that kind of question.
    They are both Kween & Queen to their fans.

no way Michelle could have won. Yuna skates so much faster and have a 3lutz/3toe and 2axel/3toe. As much as I love Michelle, she wasn't fast like Yuna.

I think there is an amount of voluntary naivety when people here talk about Kwan and Kwan's legend. Kwan is a great skater who also happened to be the icon of US dominance in women's figure skating during those years when the US indeed was dominant. I personally think there is more to Kwan's legend or status than just her personal athletic or artistic merits. Well, to make a long story short, how likely do you think it would be that Kwan, if she were not American and were from a small country like South Korea where there is hardly no figure skating infrastructure or tradition to speak of, would have emerged as a breakaway star as did Yu-na and declared a legend and a 'Queen' just about three years after she entered the senior international competition circuit?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by dorothea View Post
    it's meaningless question.
    The mutual admiration and love between yuna and michelle is so nice and heartwarming to watch.
    Someone who is jealous of their beautiful relationship wants to ask that kind of question.
    They are both kween & queen to their fans.
    ita!!!!!!!!

When Michelle was at her peak, let's say around 2000, I think she could have beaten Yu-na (age 10.)

Custom Title
    Verysmuchso, I don't really get your point. As for their being no support for Yu na that is absolute nonsense. She has had a TON of support to get as far as she has. How do you think she has done it? In case you have been in an igloo for the Olympics, have you noticed how consistently South Korea as been represented in winter sports? This is a country that takes its sports very seriously. In many respects, American skaters are more on their own. They have to find sponsors and pay their own way if they can't. They don't have US government support. Michelle Kwan's family and Frank Carroll were her support sytem for a good part of her career. She worked her butt off to get where she got. It took YEARS for her to get the title of Kween in the skating world. Yu Na is not the Queen of anything as far as I am cocnerned. She is a very talented skater, with a so far, a very short career. Let's talk in another 5 years. When she has a legacy, we will go there.

Banned
    I think this is a fair and to be honest a straight forward question... under the current point/judging system Yuna's jumps would get at least +15 GOE more than Michelle (no disrespect but her jumps were slow and tiny comapred to Yuna's), and it's very hard to account for Michelle's artistry using PCS, people would cry foul if Michelle got a much higher PCS given Yuna's technical superiority.

Quote Originally Posted by kyla2 View Post
    Verysmuchso, I don't really get your point. As for their being no support for Yu na that is absolute nonsense. She has had a TON of support to get as far as she has. How do you think she has done it? In case you have been in an igloo for the Olympics, have you noticed how consistently South Korea as been represented in winter sports? This is a country that takes its sports very seriously. In many respects, American skaters are more on their own. They have to find sponsors and pay their own way if they can't. They don't have US government support. Michelle Kwan's family and Frank Carroll were her support sytem for a good part of her career. She worked her butt off to get where she got. It took YEARS for her to get the title of Kween in the skating world. Yu Na is not the Queen of anything as far as I am cocnerned. She is a very talented skater, with a so far, a very short career. Let's talk in another 5 years. When she has a legacy, we will go there.
    How did she do it? With blood and guts. That's how. Yuna got very little support (i.e. almost none) from Korean Skating Union because they're so focused on short track speed skating. Her family almost went broke trying to support her career. They had to put get a loan using their house as a collateral so she could continue. It was only after her senior debut (end of 2006) that she started to get sponsorships. She often traveled to competitions by herself due to lack of money.

As for the main question, it's too hypothetical to consider since they competed during different times.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast