Page 18 of 35 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ... LastLast
Results 256 to 270 of 520

Thread: Stojko opposes the ladies result

  1. #256
    Custom Title Phoenix347's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    661
    Quote Originally Posted by hurrah View Post
    I am a Mao fan. But please give me some credit and recognize that I am making a point that many other posters are making. I am not making an attack on Yuna. I am criticizing a scoring sytem that is very biased. I think both Mao and Yuna are great skaters. Yuna is not better than Mao to the extent that the scoring system makes out to be.
    You're complaining incessantly over over again how everything is biased against Mao and favored for Yuna. We got the message the first 10 times. Did Yuna personally write CoP? Maybe it's time for you to go back to editing "Yuna is overscored again" video.

  2. #257
    Custom Title antmanb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    UK - Manchester
    Posts
    4,913
    Quote Originally Posted by hurrah View Post
    I am a Mao fan. But please give me some credit and recognize that I am making a point that many other posters are making. I am not making an attack on Yuna. I am criticizing a scoring sytem that is very biased. I think both Mao and Yuna are great skaters. Yuna is not better than Mao to the extent that the scoring system makes out to be.
    If you ever actually get round to making a valid point based on anything other than blind fanaticism then maybe you would get some credit until then....F (must try harder)

    Ant
    Last edited by antmanb; 02-25-2010 at 12:19 PM.

  3. #258
    Custom Title hurrah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    1,139
    Quote Originally Posted by antmanb View Post
    Oh I get it! *slaps head* how stupid could i be.

    Let me get this straight so that i no longer make mistakes....the whole scoring system should be changed so that your favourite skater can continue to skate exactly how she does now and win against another skater.
    No, the scoring system should be changed so that the person who's winning doesn't win unreasonably.

    I wouldn't mind it so much if Yuna does a 3l instead of 2axel-2toe loop-2loop. I would just like the jump scores to reflect the difficulty of the jumps more.

    I wouldn't mind it if GOEs didn't seem so subjectively given. Regarding GOEs, if comparing Yuna and Mao's short, I don't see such a huge problem, but if you compare how some of the other short programs, e.g., Elena's, were scored, GOEs are clearly subjective.
    Last edited by hurrah; 02-25-2010 at 12:21 PM.

  4. #259
    Custom Title hurrah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    1,139
    Quote Originally Posted by antmanb View Post
    If you ever actually get round to making a valid point based on anything other than blind fanaticism then maybe you would get some credit until then....F (must try harder)

    Ant
    Ant, you're always like that when it comes to signing off. You just revert to making a personal attack and that's that.

  5. #260
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    150
    Quote Originally Posted by hurrah View Post
    I wouldn't mind it so much if Yuna does a 3l instead of 2axel-2toe loop-2loop. I would just like the jump scores to reflect the difficulty of the jumps more.
    You know what I wouldn't mind? I wouldn't mind if there was a rule that prevented skaters from recycling their programs.

  6. #261
    Custom Title antmanb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    UK - Manchester
    Posts
    4,913
    Quote Originally Posted by hurrah View Post
    I wouldn't mind it so much if Yuna does a 3l instead of 2axel-2toe loop-2loop. I would just like the jump scores to reflect the difficulty of the jumps more.
    I wouldn't mind so much if Mao managed a 3Lz instead of falling or under-rotating on 3As....is that a fair equivalent assessment?

    Trying to get rid of 2/2 combos, then maybe my counter sugestion would be to ban 3/2s and only allow 3/3s or 2/3s where would that leave Mao?

    It is stupid, i repeat STUPID to keep trying to pretend that you are making serious rule change proposals when you are arbitrarily proposing rules changes just because you want Mao to be winning.

    The whole thing is nearly as STUPID as I am for bothering with this thread...why oh why don't i learn.

    Ant

  7. #262
    skating philosopher
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The land of Agent Dale Cooper
    Posts
    7,380
    Quote Originally Posted by bmelanie View Post
    You know what I wouldn't mind? I wouldn't mind if there was a rule that prevented skaters from recycling their programs.
    Is that in reference to someone?

  8. #263
    Custom Title antmanb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    UK - Manchester
    Posts
    4,913
    Quote Originally Posted by hurrah View Post
    Ant, you're always like that when it comes to signing off. You just revert to making a personal attack and that's that.
    Yes you are completely right with that statement all i ever do is sign off with personal attacks...in fact you must be rigth my last post personally attacked me, well done 10/10.

    I've set my own homework - writing lines "I must update my ignore list, I must update my ignore list, i must..."

    Ant

  9. #264
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    150
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
    Is that in reference to someone?
    Er...Mao's SP is basically a summarized version of her LP last season. Same music, same choreo, just different costumes and length of program.

  10. #265
    Custom Title Mathman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Detroit, Michigan
    Posts
    27,093
    Quote Originally Posted by hurrah View Post
    Cynthia Phaneuf, also, should not be allowed to garner easy points that way.
    That was sort of my point. I think the reason you are not getting anywhere with your argument is that you keep mentioning Yu-na Kim. Neither Kim nor Asada is relevant to a discussion of the desirability of rules changes in the IJS

    I don't like the triple-double-double (or 2A-double-double) combinations very much either, but for a different reason. By the time the skater gets to the third jump she has typically come to a complete standstill on the ice, then tries to muscle the last double up somehow or other. It does not work very well within the flow of the choreography.

    Double-double combos should not be allowed.
    Almost any kind of combo is "allowed" in the free skate. You can do a single toe/single toe combo, if that is all you can do. You will get the base values for the jumps that you do.

    We have to remember that the IJS must serve for competitions at every level, starting with beginner.

    Conversely, no skater is "required" to do any particular jump. Each skater does what she can and earns the points for what she does.
    Last edited by Mathman; 02-25-2010 at 12:43 PM.

  11. #266
    skating philosopher
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The land of Agent Dale Cooper
    Posts
    7,380
    Quote Originally Posted by bmelanie View Post
    Er...Mao's SP is basically a summarized version of her LP last season. Same music, same choreo, just different costumes and length of program.
    That's what I thought you were talking about. And I don't understand why you would do a short version of a LP that got you off the podium at worlds. I love listening to Katchaturian's music, but it just doesn't work for Mao's skating style. My husband (who is a complete skating novice) commented while watching her SP that "She's such a flowing skater; that music does nothing for her."

  12. #267
    Custom Title hurrah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    1,139
    Quote Originally Posted by antmanb View Post
    I wouldn't mind so much if Mao managed a 3Lz instead of falling or under-rotating on 3As....is that a fair equivalent assessment?
    I don't see how that equates with any point I've made. However, I will agree with you that Mao should be encouraged to master the lutz completely, a point I already made.

    Quote Originally Posted by antmanb View Post
    Trying to get rid of 2/2 combos, then maybe my counter sugestion would be to ban 3/2s and only allow 3/3s or 2/3s where would that leave Mao?
    I would argue that 3/2 should be allowed because adding a double jump after a triple jump is an indication of how well the triple jump was executed.

    Quote Originally Posted by antmanb View Post
    It is stupid, i repeat STUPID to keep trying to pretend that you are making serious rule change proposals when you are arbitrarily proposing rules changes just because you want Mao to be winning.
    Of course you are entitled to your personal opinion. Of course I would like to see Mao win, if she's not going to, I would like to see Yuna win fairly.

    Quote Originally Posted by antmanb View Post
    The whole thing is nearly as STUPID as I am for bothering with this thread...why oh why don't i learn.
    Hey, it's the day of the Olympics after all, when else to do this if not now?

  13. #268
    Custom Title hurrah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    1,139
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    That was sort of my point. I think the reason you are not getting anywhere with your argument is that you keep mentioning Yu-na Kim. Neither Kim nor Asada is relevant to a discussion of the desirability of rules changes in the IJS
    If someone had brought up Cynthia Phaneuf earlier, I would have commented appropriately, I think. This thread is meant to be about discussing how Erik Stojko doesn't agree with the placement of the short program right? I don't see how the fact that I used Yuna-Mao to talk about the scoring system rather than Cynthia Phaneuf would make my point less legit.
    Last edited by hurrah; 02-25-2010 at 12:42 PM.

  14. #269
    Mashimaro on Ice
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    1,418
    Wow. This is a total catfight in here. Anyways, I think those who oppose rule changes saying that those who favor rule changes simply want their favorite skaters to win is just being hypocritical because obviously for some posters who oppose it they think rule changes will negatively affect their favorite skater. It's the exact same intention. :sheesh:

  15. #270
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    150
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
    That's what I thought you were talking about. And I don't understand why you would do a short version of a LP that got you off the podium at worlds. I love listening to Katchaturian's music, but it just doesn't work for Mao's skating style. My husband (who is a complete skating novice) commented while watching her SP that "She's such a flowing skater; that music does nothing for her."
    I completely agree with you; neither of Mao's music choices capitalize on her natural fluidity of movement; I would have been happier to see Mao reuse Claire de Lune (which I considered rather lackluster last season) than see her give another go at Masquerade. The incessant booms and crashes overwhelm her; thankfully here in Vancouver she was clean, which means she was smiling and all energy. Watching Mao skate a Masquerade after a fall or step-out is painful. Even more painful, however, is watching her use a program that homes in on her athleticism more than anything, when I know that her expression is just as strong as her athleticism if not stronger.

Page 18 of 35 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •