Sacrifice pays gold dividends for Moirs, Virtues | Golden Skate

Sacrifice pays gold dividends for Moirs, Virtues

IndieBoi

On the Ice
A glimpse into the financial realities skating families are faced with to support their children's dreams...

http://www.ctvolympics.ca/figure-skating/news/newsid=50762.html?cid=rss

But figure skating isn't cheap. In fact, as sports go, only horseback riding may be more expensive.

Parents of figure skaters fork out money for competitions, coaches, equipment, training, travel. Almost every time Tessa and Scott skated while growing up, a member of their families went along. So there was airfare and accommodations. They would have to pay for the accommodations of coaches, too. Tessa's costumes are $2,000 or more apiece. She goes through eight a year.
Five years ago, the pair decided to switch coaches and train in Michigan. So the Virtues bought a home there and Kate moved down to watch over her then-15-year-old daughter. She had to quit her job with the Law Society of Upper Canada to do it. At that point, the Virtues' three older children were mostly grown up and off to university. Jim, a lawyer, stayed behind in London to make the money to help finance everything.

The Moirs, meantime, were forced to remortgage their home in Ilderton to help cover the bills that began piling up 13 years ago when Scott and Tessa were brought together by Scott's aunt Carol.

It's a total family commitment, isn't it? :thumbsup:

Similarly, on NBC they commented that Mirai said her mother wore clothes with holes in them so Mirai could skate.

The gratitude of these young skaters to their families is very touching.

And that reminds me of Joannie... what a heart she showed last night! :rock:

Sk8n Mama

Final Flight
Figure skating has to be one of the most expensive sports there is. Families give up a lot to have an elite-level skater.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
Sometimes I feel sorry for the other siblings in the family, if there are any, because I wonder if they have to go without either material possessions, or parental attention.

Moxie

On the Ice
It's mind-boggling what skaters and their families manage.
Mirai mentioned that her family has been really struggling this year because of the effect of the recession on her parents' restaurant.
And Mark Ladwig said he doesn't know what his plans are after March (presumably Worlds?) because of the double financial strains of skating and a new baby.

IndieBoi

On the Ice
It is mind-boggling... and of all those aspiring only a small small number are lucky enough to get to elite level let alone stand on any major podiums. And when you get to that point where you have to assess your child's aspirations against financial and competitive realities, how do you manage that conversation...

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
It is not necessary to use 8 costumes a year, even in dance. 5 at most are needed: 2 CD's, 1 OD, 1 FD, 1 exhibition.

screech

Final Flight
Sometimes I feel sorry for the other siblings in the family, if there are any, because I wonder if they have to go without either material possessions, or parental attention.

I knew an elite level skater and her mom had 1 full time + 2 part time jobs, her dad had 2 jobs and her brother had 2 jobs (while attending university) so they could help pay for her skating and then still have money to live off of themselves. She herself also had a part time job in addition to her skating.

redcat

Spectator
Isn't it too much $ 2000 for each costumes? I think it is overextimated. Yes , if you go to a fashion stylist, but you can hire a good seamstress and having wonderful costumes for much less. IMHO

mycelticblessing

Final Flight

I think Peggy Fleming did write in her autobiography, that she often felt that her mother spent so much more time and money on her compared to her siblings. It seems like Tessa and Scott are both the youngest kids though, so maybe their older siblings were able to help support their skating as well.

Ren

On the Ice
It is not necessary to use 8 costumes a year, even in dance. 5 at most are needed: 2 CD's, 1 OD, 1 FD, 1 exhibition.

I had wondered about that. 8 seemed a lot to me. If you look at Tessa's pictures this season, she dressed differently for the FD at each competition--TEB, Skate Canada, GPF and the Olympics. I don't know how she looked at Canadian Nationals, but that's 4 different dresses right there for the Mahler skate alone; this doesn't take into account her CD and OD dresses. I suppose she was a perfectionist..? Trying to get the best look through feedback/audience reception? I don't get why there had to be so many dresses, but hey, she looked fabulous every time. :)

mishieru07

On the Ice
On the other hand, I can't imagine her worlds 09 FD dress cost that much.

:laugh:

SO TRUE. But I liked it much better than the other one!

ITA that Tessa looks gorgeous. She could probably wear anything and still look pretty.

She's had 2 CD + 3 OD + 4 FD = 9 Dresses! Holy moly.

Great article though; it really reminds us fans about the sacrifice that these elite skaters make.

Ren

On the Ice
:laugh:

ITA that Tessa looks gorgeous. She could probably wear anything and still look pretty.

She's had 2 CD + 3 OD + 4 FD = 9 Dresses! Holy moly.

True. She could wear a potato sack and we'd all still be mesmerized by her and Scott. Considering they were gunning for gold, I suppose they felt they had nothing to lose and 9 dresses were acceptable in order to get the complete package (skating, music, choreo, appearance). I remember reading the article with Tessa going 'My poor parents!' Is she an only child? that might explain why she was better able to afford dresses. I'm not too sure about the $2,000 price tag PER dress; maybe the reporter made a mistake..? Most of the dresses looked simple but elegant, so I don't know why an outfit could cost so much. Someone more knowledgeable will enlighten me, I'm sure. Perhaps all the little things add up (ex. Swarovski crystals), or the dress material is top-notch?