Joannie Rochette for Terry Fox Award | Golden Skate

Joannie Rochette for Terry Fox Award

screech

Final Flight
I honestly can't see anyone else even really being considered for it. Her performance was even mentioned on Entertainment Tonight! And athletes from other countries offering her support and praise.

No matter what happens in the LP, she is more than deserving and everyone is so proud of her.

dgel

On the Ice
I agree she'd make a wonderful recipient. The only other possible contender I can think of would be Petra Majdic the Slovenian cross country skier who won a bronze medal with 4 broken ribs and a collapsed lung; also extraordinary courage (of a different nature completely of course) but still very much worthy of recognition.

Last edited:

Kissx3

Final Flight
While she is the sweetheart of the games and would have earned it for her resiliency through a terrible period, I can't see this happening. There's no way this award goes to a Canadian. Other countries would be incredibly pissed off regardless of the circumstances.

DivaDes

Rinkside
While she is the sweetheart of the games and would have earned it for her resiliency through a terrible period, I can't see this happening. There's no way this award goes to a Canadian. Other countries would be incredibly pissed off regardless of the circumstances.

This awards is for someone who embodies the same spirit as Terry Fox. It can be awarded to any participating country and with what Joannie overcame this week I can't think of anyone else who fulfills the criteria. See the link below for the press release regarding this award.

http://www.vancouver2010.com/olympic-news/n/news/vancouver-2010-terry-fox-award-to-honour-olympian-who-touches-world--with-courage--humility-and-extraordinary-athletic-abilities-at-2010-winter-games-_191146ui.html

Tigger

Final Flight
I agree she'd make a wonderful recipient. The only other possible contender I can think of would be Petra Majdic the Slovenian cross country skier who won a bronze medal with 4 broken ribs and a collapsed lung; also extraordinary courage (of a different nature completely of course) but still very much worthy of recognition.

It was actually worse than that. It was 4 broken ribs and a punctured lung thanks to one of the those broken ribs according to the articles I've read and also what the commentators have said. That was part of the reason Petra needed someone to help her up on the Podium to recieve her Bronze. Not to mention how stiff she was due to the ribs, but also because Petra's not supposed to move her body at certain angles and end up re opening the healing tear in her lung.

You know, it just blows my mind Petra was able to ski at all. I mean, Nordic Skiing really puts an awful lot of stress on the lungs w/the endurance of the Sport, so for her to still go out there and ski...Forget about the Medal, but just to go out there and be able to still ski and in the immense pain Petra had to be in and...

Truly Mindblowing!!!

I know how people feel about "Co Winners", but in this case, I think both Joannie and Petra have embodied all of the values Terry held so dear and more.

Oh and Kissx3, until Monday when the news broke about Joannie's Mom passing away, CTV's Brian Williams was saying that Petra was looking more and more like a lock for the Award. This award has nothing to do w/an Athlete's Nationality, but on how that athlete was able to persevere at these Games under unthinkable/unbelievable circumstances.

Like I said...I've got no problem at all w/a tie for this one. :)

DesertRoad

Final Flight
I can just imagine the commentary on this: It's going to be a close race between Petra and Joannie. The judges are going to review the tape to see if Petra broke form while doubling over in pain. There's concern she didn't keep her back arched sufficiently. Meanwhile Joannie is being scrutinized on her second teardrop. It looked a bit smaller than her first one, and judges like to see that the teardrops are even in size.

Kissx3

Final Flight
And it's a tie. Nice job on the prediction/hope, Tigger. And congratulations to both recipients, they truly embodied the spirit of the award.

aurora100

Final Flight
Joanne and Petra are co-recipients of the Terry Fox Award.
Two amazing athletes
I don't know how either of them accomplished what she has.

Tigger

Final Flight
Well, I couldn't see them doing anything other than making it a tie. Both Petra and Joannie had to overcome very difficult circumstances to win their Bronze Medals and they both actied w/incredable class and courage.

Congratulations to the both of them!! :)

dgel

On the Ice
Excellent decision - these two women embody the best to be found in sport, congratulations to both and may they both heal quickly in their own way