Poll: Will there ever be an ice dance team that will excite us like T&D did? | Golden Skate

Poll: Will there ever be an ice dance team that will excite us like T&D did?

Will any ice dance team ever reach the lofty heights of T&D?

• No, they were the best team in history, and no one will ever come close.

Votes: 17 35.4%
  • Yes, there have been teams that have been equally as great. Specify.

Votes: 14 29.2%
  • The judging has been so biased in recent years that the public is sour on dance.

Votes: 6 12.5%
  • The Code of Points will bring excitement back to ice dance.

Votes: 6 12.5%
  • Forget it. Ice dance looks more like sleaze dance.

Votes: 5 10.4%

• Total voters

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
Poll: Will there ever be an ice dance team that will excite us like T&D did?

Is it just the judging scandals that have turned the public sour on ice dance? Or is it that no ice dance team has risen to the heights of Torvill & Dean?

icenut84

Final Flight
I could have voted for more than one of those options. Ice dance used to be my favourite event but it's not any more, really. Without gushing, I don't think there'll be another team like T&D - a team with that level of technical expertise, artistic skill, innovation, originality, or with the kind of impact that they had. Not many skaters excel in every one of those areas. Nor could many return to the Olympics ten years after winning the gold and turning pro, and again take the European title and another Olympic medal (which I personally believe should have been gold).

I was watching their Mack and Mabel free dance from 1982 a few days ago, and even though I may be biased (I tried to look objectively), I couldn't help thinking that if a team was performing that exact routine these days, it would be seen as a breath of fresh air. Not to whinge about the old days (most of the dance from the "old days" I've seen is on tape), but I don't particularly like the direction ice dance is going, or that it started to go several years back. Gone is the intricate choreography and the routine as a "whole", the real "dance" aspect, and people trying to look different. Nowadays, all dancers wear similar OTT costumes, usually including long shredded skirts and lots of glitter, and the routines are more often than not frantic and all about rushing from one trick to the next. And including as many bendy, complicated but nothing-to-do-with-the-theme lifts.

JMO.

The year T&D's Bolero was an exceptional year. Not only were they good but also the Dusheneys(SP) and Bloomberg and forgot his name. It was my first olympic viewing in quite a while.

In that same competition, there were other teams which were also good. I have not seen another year like that one.

It all seems so calculating nowadays, before the skaters take the ice, imo.

Joe

Last edited:

berthes ghost

Final Flight
I think that Dance had two big dominating factions: The Brittish and the Russians.

Not to take anything away from T&D, whom I think were truely special, but I see them as the culmination of the great Brittish Dance movement. I think that Brittish Dance is what icenut described as :

Gone is the intricate choreography and the routine as a "whole", the real "dance" aspect, and people trying to look different.

and the Russian style which eclipsed it is still in force as:

Nowadays, all dancers wear similar OTT costumes, usually including long shredded skirts and lots of glitter, and the routines are more often than not frantic and all about rushing from one trick to the next. And including as many bendy, complicated but nothing-to-do-with-the-theme lifts.

Personally, I think that until someone else comes along to take over, we are in for a lot more frosted hair, shredded skirts and couples speed skating around willy-nilly like the cops are after them.

But, what goes up must come down, and just as the Britts were eclipsed by the Ruskies, someone else will come along to herald a new day in Dance.

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
Although I voted on the Torvil & Dean first choice, I would think someone else could come along and do as well. Haven't seen it yet, but it is still possible. Maybe there should have been another choice such as T & D so far?

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
IMHO, Bestemianova & Bukin developed many themes of ice dance that were pioneered by T&D.

Personally, I do NOT miss the "classical dance" aspect of ice dancing. If anything, Chris's revolutionary choreography was the first step of departure from that style.

I agree that right now there are no real titans in Ice Dancing. I think the last real champions were Gritchuk & Platov, and I think Krylova & Ovsyannikov could have developped into such if it weren't for her injuries. OTOH, I think the overall level of ice dance has risen. If you look at Worlds about 10 years ago, only the top 3-4 teams would be worth watching for a casual observer like myself. Now, I can watch the top 10 or more and enjoy it.

mike79

On the Ice
There are 2 teams that stick out in my mind who were unbelievable, but for different reasons.

The first is the Duchesneys. They were revolutionary for the direction of Ice Dance in the late 80s-early 90s. Although they weren't the very best technicians on ice, their interpretation of the music they skated to was what made them loved by fans around the world.

The second is G&P. Their brilliant technique was unrivaled during their run from 1994-1998. They were the only team who can rival T&D in overall excellence, IMO. I do, however, think that T&D should have won the 1994 Olympics.

Pookie

Final Flight
I think there are many good dance teams but Torvill and Dean are special. I'm not so sure their body of work can be topped. Maybe if Chris is choreographing for them. ;)

Antilles

Medalist
T&D were fabulous, but I think anyone can be topped, especially in a sport as subjective as skating. I know they got more 6.0s than anyone, but that was still just the personal opinions of those judges.

I also agree that dance has really come along. I used to hate it, and now it is my favourite discipline. Some teams go over the top, but there's a lot of quality out there.

beebeeuk

Rinkside
Yes, and here they are!!!

Sinead & John Kerr

(Took out the image, Mathman. But I have a copy of that photo, given to me by the Kerrs, so it isn't copyrighted.) ;)

Last edited:

Germanice

On the Ice
Torvill & Dean were without any doubt great at their time and pioneers in their sport. They've changed icedance from ballroom dancing into story-telling, which made them historic persons in figure skating forever (... and I don't wanna even talk about all those 6.0's they've gotten!). But I'm against gloryfying them; they always had great, perfect (... sometimes too perfect!) and original programs, but as persons they never really came "through" to me, no real personal charisma here. All in all: I admire them, but wouldn't put them on a pedestal that much.

It were the Duchesnays who always made my heart stop beating. Their programs often weren't perfect at all but they're innovative, blood-on-the-ice and breathtaking, and most of all - "heroic" in a certain way. Over and above that I also loved how much the two of them were emotional involved in what they're doing. Two courageous, charismatic and real good looking people. When I'm thinking about icedance, the Duchesnays are always the first who come into my mind.

Anke

Last edited:

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
There have been many great ice dance teams over the years, but I think Torvill and Dean brought a freshness and originality to ice dance that may never be repeated. They made ice dance fans of people who never watched ice dance before or knew nothing about the discipline. It's quite a feat. Usually, ice dance was the least watched or understood discipline in figure skating (except for figures of course!). Most people did not understand it.

Someone mentioned B&B - of Russia - I never cared for their style. They were technicians, but lacked the grace and beauty of Torvill and Dean. I think T&D's legacy will live on and other teams will aspire to their standards, but T&D were unique.

shine

Record Breaker
Klimova/Ponomarenko have always excited me more than T/D. And now Denkova/Staviyski are making me darn excited too!

Last edited:

merrywidow

Record Breaker
I've always felt that ice dancing peaked at the '84 Olympics. It is meant to represent ballroom dancing on ice, not an extension of exhibitions or show skating which is the way it appeared to be evolving in the 90's. I was very glad to see the rule putting sbs footwork back into these programs.

bronxgirl

Medalist
As I've mentioned in another part of the forum, too many of the current dance teams strike me as pair skaters who can't jump. (But I am rooting for Belbin and Agusto to do well in the worlds!!)