Thread: Should there be a separate Olympic competition for compulsory figures?

Hybrid View

Should there be a separate Olympic competition for compulsory figures?

Compulsory figures were eliminated from the Olympics after 1990. Does anyone think it would be a good idea to bring it back as a separate event in future Olympics? I know it doesn't make for great television but perhaps they could spice it up a bit. Add new parts like a speed stage where the objective is not to etch the most perfect figure on the ice but to draw a required figure on the ice within specified boundaries fast as possible.

Hmm maybe, if it was completely separate from the other skating.

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I lurve figures (note avatar) and think just dumping them as if they were worthless was unutterably stupid/greedy.

My dream preference would be separate figures and free skating competitions and a combined. Roughly like rollerskating.

Chances of that happening are next to zero, but I still think it would be a good idea.

And if curling can be interesting tv (which I think it is) then figures could be made interesting for tv (overhead cameras, computer enhancement of tracings etc)

Quote Originally Posted by Mafke View Post
    YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I lurve figures (note avatar) and think just dumping them as if they were worthless was unutterably stupid/greedy.

My dream preference would be separate figures and free skating competitions and a combined. Roughly like rollerskating.

Chances of that happening are next to zero, but I still think it would be a good idea.

And if curling can be interesting tv (which I think it is) then figures could be made interesting for tv (overhead cameras, computer enhancement of tracings etc)
    That's sounds good to me. I'm tired of all these skiers, speed skaters and swimmers being able to win multiple medals at Olympics but a figure skater not being able to earn more than one medal (unless they also partiicipate in another sport at the game but that would be pretty difficult.) Perhaps even award a medal seperately for short program and the free skate plus the combined. Medal bonanza!

Custom Title
    And maybe jump competition as well? Like ski jumps or divings, skaters try like 5 times and add up the points? But there will be still some buzz because judges will give GOEs...
    By the way, since I don't follow either ski jumps or divings, can they repeat same element or do they have to try different tricks each time?

Anyway, it would be fun if there is a competition where skaters can do something like backflip-3T combination or 4T-3T-3T-2T-2L combination or 2A-2A-2A-2A sequence or something like that.
    Last edited by gourry; 02-25-2010 at 03:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gourry View Post
    And maybe jump competition as well? Like ski jumps or divings, skaters try like 5 times and add up the points? But there will be still some buzz because judges will give GOEs...
    By the way, since I don't follow either ski jumps or divings, can they repeat same element or do they have to try different tricks each time?

Anyway, it would be fun if there is a competition where skaters can do something like backflip-3T combination or 4T-3T-3T-2T-2L combination or 2A-2A-2A-2A sequence or something like that.
    I think the main trick in ski jumping is not doing a face plant in the snow. I don't know the rules about diving but they do seem to do different "tricks" for different dives.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by gourry View Post

Anyway, it would be fun if there is a competition where skaters can do something like back flip-3T combination or 4T-3T-3T-2T-2L combination or 2A-2A-2A-2A sequence or something like that.
    In diving you do somersaults forward or backward, starting facing the water or the diving board. This applies to the platform as well where you can also start a dive from a hand stand position. There is a lot of twisting going on. Twits are performed the body straight, somersaults are performed in either a pike or tuck position. Depending on the number of twists and somersaults, each type of jump has a degree of difficulty that is multiplied by the judges scores.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix347 View Post
    That's sounds good to me. I'm tired of all these skiers, speed skaters and swimmers being able to win multiple medals at Olympics but a figure skater not being able to earn more than one medal (unless they also partiicipate in another sport at the game but that would be pretty difficult.) Perhaps even award a medal seperately for short program and the free skate plus the combined. Medal bonanza!
    That is what makes skating so special though. You do not have a second chance, no round robins, no multiple qualification runs, etc. You have four minutes to lay it down - this is what makes the sport so dramatic and what draws people in. It is a cruel sport but that is what draws people in - the human interest stories and drama of it all.

On the Ice
    Yes!!! I really like that idea. And I'd also add a compulsory dance competition to that for the dancers