Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Who should be in the world figure skating hall of fame?

Custom Title

Who should be in the world figure skating hall of fame?

Yes, another "fluff" question

The world figure skating hall of fame is to honor skaters who have brought something to skating.
    The criteria are; must be retired from amateur skating for at least five year.
    Outstanding amateur record or
    Notable contributions to techncial aspects or
    Notable contributions to artistic aspects or
    Notable contribution as a professional

Here is a list of people who have already been inducted:
    http://www.theskateblade.com/reference/hof.htm

Some interesting results, Janet Lynn-whom many people consider to be one of the best figure skaters of all time, did not get inducted until almost 25 years later. Irina Rodnina-the most decorated figure skater ever, did not get inducted until almost a decade later.
    Coaches can also be inducted, interesting, Frank Caroll, Moskvin/Moskvina and Tarasova are not in it yet.

Once a skater is nominated, their name is presented to a panel made up of coaches, former skaters, other skating people. they need to get a 2/3 vote to get in.

Custom Title
    Moskvina may not be in it yet, but she is still coaching. I am quite sure that she will make it into the list. I think that Fank Carroll will also have a good shot at making the list along with Michelle. She has quite an impressive run of medals at Worlds. I would also say that Irina has a shot at the list.

I would expect to see Artur Dimitriev just on the fact of winning the Olympic gold with 2 different partners.

Can choreographer's be included? Most of them have skated at one point or another and I would say they have a lot to do with the success of skating.

I'll have to ponder this a little more, but those are the people that come to my mind right now.

A. Y. & E. P.: Tzars Of The Ice, Lords Of The Rink anya_angie's Avatar
    Just a tiny thought, you'd think Lutz would be in there. I was surprised to see Salchow and Axel P. but not him.

I think Tara will be at some time, not becasue of her skating but for the reason that she does hold the title of being the youngest world champion not sure about olympic.

Rooting for the Kerrs!
    Originally posted by Jhar55
    I think Tara will be at some time, not becasue of her skating but for the reason that she does hold the title of being the youngest world champion not sure about olympic.
    She was youngest Olympic champion too.

Custom Title
    Bourne and Kraatz, should, in my opinion definitely be considered. Considering the longevity of their career, their ability to end the dominance of Europeans in Ice Dance, and the "invention" of hydroblading, I would certainly like to see them considered.

Michelle Kwan - no explanation necessary

Kurt Browning perhaps, just because I love him and his sense of style

Canuck

Interesting list. Dorothy Hamill was elected only in 2000 -- two years after Kristi Yamaguchi.

I agree about Kurt Browning. He was a four-time world champion as an amateur and the first to do a quad. As a professional he took the sport to new technical (footwork) and artistic (Singin' in the Rain) heights.

Michelle Kwan? She has carried the sport of figure skating on her shoulders for a decade.

Mathman
    Last edited by Mathman; 11-09-2003 at 11:38 AM.

Very odd list. I find it strange that Klimova & Ponomarenko got included, but Bestmenianova & Bukin did not.

Custom Title
    Originally posted by Ptichka
    Very odd list. I find it strange that Klimova & Ponomarenko got included, but Bestmenianova & Bukin did not.

Bestmenianova and Bukin might still be included. Some skaters have gotten inducted right after their 5 year waiting period is over, others have been inducted 20 years after their amateur years.

I believe the 5 year waiting period refers to skaters only, not coaches.

Another interesting finding, Irina Rodnina was inducted-but Ulanov and Zaitsev were not.
    Last edited by lulu; 11-09-2003 at 11:46 AM.

Custom Title
    Originally posted by anya_angie
    Just a tiny thought, you'd think Lutz would be in there. I was surprised to see Salchow and Axel P. but not him.
    Maybe it's because the lutz is such an irritating jump to learn :D
    At least from this skater's view.

BlurrySarah, LOL and happy birthday!

Mathman

Keeper of Michelle's Nose berthes ghost's Avatar
    Other than inventing the Lutz jump, Italian skater Tomas Lutz apparently never did anything of note.

I didn't see Werner Rittberger (inventor of the loop jump) on the list either, and he has 3 world silver medals.

The axel was aparently the first jump invented, but Axel Paulsen was not a figure skater but a famous speed skater and stunt skater.

Ulrich Salchow was of course the first Oly champ and still the leader with a record 10 world championship titles. I would be suspect of any list that kept him off.

I don't know the criteria, but I'm pretty sure that just being the youngest, oldest, fattest, tallest or whatever whatever isn't merit enough for a hall of fame.

Sonja and Dick may have been the youngest, and they may have more titles and gold medlas than an army of skaters, but I really think that the main reason they were elected in the hall was because of the huge influence thay had on the sport and how they left it different that it was when they began.

If Tara gets elected, it will be for her skating.

I totally understand Kristi being there, but IMHO Midori had a huge influence on the sport. She definately pushed the ladies technically and I'm sure was a big reason why figures were done away with.

The list does seem to be a little thin on Canadian Men. Toller, Brian, Kurt, Elvis: I think that one could build a case of any or all of them being there.

Custom Title
    Berthes ghost,

ITA w/you about Midori Ito deserving to be in the hall of fame-she upped the technical level for ladies in a way that had not been matched in the same way.

I also agree Toller Cranston, Kurt Browning and Brian Orser deserve to be in there. I can also see Elvis being in there-for the impact he had on upping the technical content for men.

Dance:
    Grishuk and Platov-outstanding record, and known for their speed, technique etc.
    Bestemova and Bukin: 2 Olympic medals, brought a theatrical style to ice dance, still involved in innovative ice dance theater today.

Pairs:
    Artur Dmitriev (either by himself or perhaps as with M&D)-For the gold medals, But more importantly, for the influence they had on pair teams today.

I can also see Valova and Vasiliev being inducted for their record, and they were the first team to constantly do sbs triples-deserve some sort of recongition.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast