Who should be in the world figure skating hall of fame? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Who should be in the world figure skating hall of fame?

thisthingcalledlove

Final Flight
lutz

Other than inventing the Lutz jump, Italian skater Tomas Lutz apparently never did anything of note.

Yeah, Alois wasn't really a force to be reckoned with back in the 20's.
If coaches are on the list, are Fassi, Mueller, and Zmievskaya on the list? They did coach multiple gold medalists. And maybe Cecilia Coolidge of Great Britain (is she still alive) the inventor of the layback spin.

Last edited:

anya_angie

Final Flight
Speaking of, how come no one has mentioned Tarasova yet? hehehe now there is a great coach.

cygnus

Rinkside
Re: lutz

thisthingcalledlove said:
. And maybe Cecilia Coolidge of Great Britain (is she still alive) the inventor of the layback spin.

She's there- inducted 1980.

euterpe

Medalist
I don't think Tara Lipinski will be in the Hall of Fame anytime soon. She may be the youngest Olympic Champion, but she also had one of the shortest eligible careers any OC: into international competition at 13, gone at 15.

Due to the stresses of striving for her Olympic Championship, Tara destroyed her body, and her meteoric success encouraged other young skaters to emulate her. At least two promising young skaters incurred the same injury (Naomi Nari Nam and Deanna Stellato). At the age of 20, Tara is no longer able to skate at all.

No, not a candidate for the Hall of Fame.

skatepixie

On the Ice
come on. Any one who wins the Olympics should have it. Plus...she was the first one to do the 3loop/3loop combo.

NNN had a diffrent injury, they have the same surgon.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Not all Olympic Champions are in the Skating Hall of Fame, nor should they be. Lipinski was able to do the 3L/3L because she was tiny and very thin, but she severely injured her body doing it. That is a dubious achievement.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Should Oksana Baiul be in the Hall of Fame? Alexei Urmanov? Just because they are Olympic Champions? Not!!!!

Fossi

Final Flight
If ALL Olympic Champions should be there, then Sarah should be! Being a HUGE Sarah fan, this would be beautiful moment!
I think, like or hate her, that Michelle Kwan will be there. No doubt. She has done much for the sport.
I also am not sure about Lipinski. She wasn't there long enough and many to this date do not remember her. I ask people "who won Olympics '98" and they respond "That little Michelle Kwan girl."
Men? Yagudin? I think. Maybe Elvis. Kurt too. Any Americans?

lulu

Final Flight
I don't believe that winning an OGM in and by itself should be an automatic qualification for getting into the WFSHOF-but it certainly is an asset. Although I would have no problem what so ever with Michelle Kwan getting in-even though she is not an OGM.

As of right now-Michelle Kwan is the only American skater from the 90s that I see as probably being inducted. And she isn't even my favorite skater :)

As far as the skaters who are currently eligible for consideration I think the following skaters should be in the hall of fame:

Women: Midori Ito

Men: Kurt B, Robin C, Brian O, Elvis (even though I still think Urmanov is the rightful OGM ;) ). I hope Igor Borbin get's in for his choreography for skaters like B&S

Pairs: Artur Dmitriev (Irina Rodnina was inducted w/out Ulanov or Zaitsev-which seems like a sort of akward situation to me...) But I think that he should be inducted

also see Valova and Vasiliev as possibly being inducted.

Dance: G&P and Bestemova and Bukin

Skatepixie: It's interesting that Carol Heiss isn't in the WFSHOFyet-but she still might be inducted.

Last edited:

chrissy51

Rinkside
Who should be in the world fighur skating hall of fame

Hi: I also think Tara Lipinski should be in the hall of fame. Not only is she the youngest US, World and Olympic Champion (actually she is the youngest person male or female to have an Olympic Gold Medal) but I believe she is the first female to do a triple/triple loop. The men were not even doing it. She really has the heart of a Champion.

skatepixie

On the Ice
I think winning the olyms, plus nats and worlds, not to mention the loop/loop, is enough right there. Period. And Bauil should be there.

euterpe

Medalist
I think there's more to being nominated for the Hall of Fame than winning an OGM, or doing a trick for the first time. I think there's something called a contribution to the sport of figure skating, and that takes more than a 1- or 2-season appearance in international competition, which is all Baiul and Lipinski had.

Baiul had artistry, but she didn't contribute anything technically to the sport before, during or after winning the Olympics, and her subsequent behavior generated only poor publicity for the sport. Lipinski's poor technique and over-practice of her famous trick caused permanent injury, so she promptly went pro after winning the OGM. I don't see any real contribution to the sport of figure skating from Tara.

Kurt Browning was the first man to do a quad in competition, and that didn't get him a place in the Hall of Fame. To me, he is the most deserving of that honor, for his contribution to the sport not only in technical history, but as a superb master of footwork.

Last edited:
Executing big tricks is a natural continuation of the sport. From Sonia Henie's questionable axel to Midori's triple axel, it's the nature of the sport. I'm not all that impressed that induction into HOF should be based on one trick.

The criteria as laid out, it seems to me that once a skater has retired, his/her chances of being inducted into the HOF are excellent. A look at the current inductees is overwhelming.

Some parents of skaters today hire public relations firms to guide their privileged children to fame.

Joe

mpal2

Final Flight
I just thought of someone who really deserves a spot in the World FS Hall of Fame.

Bin Yao

He basically is coaching the Chinese pairs team on to glory. Anyone who has a big enough dream to take a nation from dead last to World Champions in such a short amount of time deserves recognition. His dream is bringing a new influence into skating and that is always good.

I can't wait to see China take singles and dance to the same level they have brought pairs.

RoaringMice

On the Ice
Kurt Browning, for what he's done since he's been a pro.

Dick Button - is he in there? He definately should be.

Kasey

Medalist
I disagree that either Lipinski or Baiul belongs in the skating hall of fame. I do think that as soon as he is eligible for it, Yagudin should be automatic. Also, I think Browning, if he is not in there, should be (and NO, it's not because of being the first to do the quad....Sabovcik was first to do the quad, Brownings was the first ratified).

Kasey