Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Who Will Skate at the Gala?

I want my Johnny Gaga!!!!!! With a platinum wig!

Waiting for on-ice perfection.
    Quote Originally Posted by kiz_4Ever View Post
    "it's not a gala without Johnny's Poker Face"
    I must join that group... I love Johnny Gaga.
    Anyways, does anyone know what happened with the petition? Johnny so deserves to skate, as he WUZROBBED during the actual competition.

Moving up the testing structure Kypma's Avatar
    According to the Skate Canada website, "The top 3 skaters in each discipline will perform at the Exhibition Gala on Saturday. Olympic Champions Tessa Virtue and Scott Moir will skate along with Joannie Rochette." The latter sentence also suggests that the non-medallist Canadian skaters will not be a part of the gala, but that seems extreme. compared to Torino 2006, the gala would be greatly shortened if that were to be the case.

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    there is no way Chan wont be at the gala. I mean I d like to see him! And no Stephane??? NO STEPHANE??
    which gala denies Lambiel???

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by seniorita View Post
    there is no way Chan wont be at the gala. I mean I d like to see him! And no Stephane??? NO STEPHANE??
    which gala denies Lambiel???
    ... the stupid ones.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    12 skaters/teams total? That's nuts. Who'd pay for that? Over in 36 to 40 minutes.

Medalist
    Is there a link where we can find out what music the skaters at the Gala are going to skate to before the event starts? I'm really interested in seeing Daisuke and Joannie R. I hope that NBC shows all the skaters participating in this event. I would hate to see them shave Daisuke and my other favs...

I also wonder whether Evan and other skaters will choose to perform different exhibitions than the ones that they have previously performed earlier in the year?

Joannie has announced that she is bringing back her performance of "Vole" by Celine Dion to skate in tribute of her mother (the song is about someone passing). She performed this program back in 2007 and it was one of her mother's favourites. Joannie also said that her mother loved Celine Dion and Celine sent flowers to her today and she was also able to speak to Celine and her husband, Rene. I was so hoping she would bring this back and it is one of my favourite programs from her:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yigfyocJ7oY

ETA: The Gala is 2.5 hours long so I'm sure it will be the top 5 skaters and Canadian skaters as usual. Don't see the point in Johnny being added to the program - it would be unfair to the other 6th place skaters seeing as they only missed the cut off by one place as well.
    Last edited by i love to skate; 02-26-2010 at 09:38 PM.

"Hold an edge and look sexy!" museksk8r's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by i love to skate View Post
    Joannie has announced that she is bringing back her performance of "Vole" by Celine Dion to skate in tribute of her mother (the song is about someone passing). I was so hoping she would bring this back and it is one of my favourite programs from her:

Beautiful choice! I've always loved this program of Joannie's.

Rooting for the divas with Kwanford Spun Silver's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by museksk8r View Post
    Beautiful choice! I've always loved this program of Joannie's.
    Oh yes. That's my all time favorite skate by Joannie.

Medalist
    Joannie has announced that she is bringing back her performance of "Vole" by Celine Dion to skate in tribute of her mother (the song is about someone passing). She performed this program back in 2007 and it was one of her mother's favourites. Joannie also said that her mother loved Celine Dion and Celine sent flowers to her today and she was also able to speak to Celine and her husband, Rene. I was so hoping she would bring this back and it is one of my favourite programs from her:

ETA: The Gala is 2.5 hours long so I'm sure it will be the top 5 skaters and Canadian skaters as usual. Don't see the point in Johnny being added to the program - it would be unfair to the other 6th place skaters seeing as they only missed the cut off by one place as well.
    Thanks for the info and the backgrounder on the selection of JR's music. Really looking forward to her skate. I'm sure that NBC will show her since they've given her a lot of coverage over the past few days or so...

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Kypma View Post
    According to the Skate Canada website, "The top 3 skaters in each discipline will perform at the Exhibition Gala on Saturday. Olympic Champions Tessa Virtue and Scott Moir will skate along with Joannie Rochette." The latter sentence also suggests that the non-medallist Canadian skaters will not be a part of the gala, but that seems extreme. compared to Torino 2006, the gala would be greatly shortened if that were to be the case.
    Usually at least the top 4 finishers attend. Why would it only be the top 3 this year?

Go marry the quad if you love it so much DesertRoad's Avatar
    Someone got the press release wrong, I'd imagine.

To make it fair for Canada to invite Johnny Weir to the gala, they could invite the 6th place finisher from other disciplines as well. That's not as tough as it appears. In pairs, Dubé/Davison are 6th, and are likely already invited as the host country normally invites its top athlete in a discipline to the gala if none of them are already among the top 5. In ladies, they'd have to invite Laura Lepisto. I'm not fond of her skating or her silly exhibition number, but it's only a few minutes and it'd make her fans and oglers happy. In ice dance, they'd invite Del/Schoes, and what ice dancing fan wouldn't welcome the legendary couple to the gala of their last competition? It's probably way too late for the organizers to pull this off, but if they do, I think it'd actually make for a more satisfying gala all around.
    Last edited by DesertRoad; 02-27-2010 at 04:51 AM.

Tripping on the Podium
    it would be unfair to the other 6th place skaters seeing as they only missed the cut off by one place as well.
    Yeah... it might be considered unfair... (but his placement was not that fair, either.. imo)
    Oh, well, I should be happy coz at least i can watch his pokerface in HD on my computer/TV again and again. haha.
    vive la technologie!

Custom Title
    Somewhat OT:

There's a picture of Mirai, Yu-Na and Daisuke from a Japanese article; apparently it's from exhibition practice. So unless Mirai was just there for a photo-op, I think 4th place finishers are included in the gala. The link is: http://mainichi.jp/enta/sports/10oly...50027000c.html I stumbled across the picture on the thread Nice article and Picture (Mirai, Yu-Na, and Daisuke) "Relief at exhibition practices" began by bethissoawesome.

Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast