Who Will Skate at the Gala? | Page 19 | Golden Skate

Who Will Skate at the Gala?

Norpido

Match Penalty
What are you talking about? Yuna is perhaps the greatest technical skater of all time and her expression is just sublime.
It's OK if she is not your favorite but to say she doesn't skate with emotion is ridiculous.

Her blend of athleticism and artistry is what sets her apart. She is so elegant and I thought she skated her LP like a dream.

I always thought YuNa had no emotion. I'm not seeing any artistry there. Plush has artistry. He can make a show for himself. YuNa looks stiff and freeze cold emotionless.

She can skate though I know that. If she hadn't have injuries 3-4 years ago she could have dominated not only the last two years but the last 3-4 years.

tetana

Rinkside
There are two types of skaters. One group is just expressing what they feel right now. I think mao is one of them. The weakness is that they don't care about the music at all because their personal emotion is so strong. Frankly speaking, sometimes, they seem like they don't understand music. In other sides, sometimes they look so enjoyable when they skate and give the audiences a lot of fun. However, if they can choose music fitting with their personalities, that program can be just breathtaking. The other gorup is expressing the music which they skate into. They don't care about their emotion, but they want to show the music. I think Yu-na is one of them. They are actresses. Their acting abilities are very important to get applauses from the audiences. The combination between those groups will be the best. For example, Kwan's gala in nagano olympic was really impressive and Joannie's sp was just touchable. Which group do you favor? That is the answer why people have different tastes for women figure skating. I definitely favor later group because interpretion is my favorite element in COP. Anyhow, you can choose yours.

Last edited:

ARipp42014

Medalist
Happy Sunday! :) MSNBC aired the entire gala this morning at 6am! Okay almost the whole thing... they left out Stephane and those kiddie skaters.

Now they are reairing the final flights for all 4 events. Ice Dance just ended and the Ladies FF is on.

newvie

Rinkside
I always thought YuNa had no emotion. I'm not seeing any artistry there. Plush has artistry. He can make a show for himself. YuNa looks stiff and freeze cold emotionless.

We certainly have different points of view :)
Plush might have the showmanship but I didn't really feel that "artistry" in his competitive programs.

About Yuna, she still has some points to improve, but I think she's one of the few skaters who can skate to any kind of music and be the music itself. Example: Yuna practicing her Gershwin steps to different music
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58ek52qmtE4

As for her gala, i found her performance elegant enough to cover up the ugly dress. I also wish she will skate to upbeat music in the next gala.

Puppylove

Rinkside
There are two types of skaters. One group is just expressing what they feel right now. I think mao is one of them. The weakness is that they don't care about the music at all because their personal emotion is so strong. Frankly speaking, sometimes, they seem like they don't understand music. In other sides, sometimes they look so enjoyable when they skate and give the audiences a lot of fun. However, if they can choose music fitting with their personalities, that program can be just breathtaking. The other gorup is expressing the music which they skate into. They don't care about their emotion, but they want to show the music. I think Yu-na is one of them. They are actresses. Their acting abilities are very important to get applauses from the audiences. The combination between those groups will be the best. For example, Kwan's gala in nagano olympic was really impressive and Joannie's sp was just touchable. Which group do you favor? That is the answer why people have different tastes for women figure skating. I definitely favor later group because interpretion is my favorite element in COP. Anyhow, you can choose yours.

Very well put - couldn't agree more

hurrah

Medalist
Loved Lambiel. I thought it was the best performance of the night.

Regarding Yuna's exhibition, her great strength is her huge toe jumps, and without them to serve as highlights, the kind of broad edges she is capable of isn't interesting to watch. One thing she could do to add spice is use her upper body, as she has flexible shoulder blades. In her previous ex, she used her upper body a great deal, with lots of shoulder and chest pumping, and it was great (and appropriate) as an exhibition piece. In her previous ex, she also used her facial expression to appeal to the audience, and that also got the crowd going. But for some reason, this time, she did without the upper body and face, just kept to using her edges, and without the jumps, it was sort of boring. It really showed Yuna at her weakest.

It's so funny because Mao's exhibition shows her at her best. Even without jumps, Mao's skating is very intricate and is fun to watch. Unfortunately, her competition programs, for some reason, did not display this part and it was rather disasterous, but then, I guess she just wanted to showcase her triple-axel, which is understandable but I wish they could have showcased her triple-axel and her skating skills together.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Agree that Lambiel was the best. Like V/M quite a bit, though they haven't touched "The Tennessee Waltz" for my favourite of their ex presentations. Wasn't as enthusiastic about Asada as others seem to be, though she was good. Kim was fine - loved that Ina Bauer. Shen/Zhao, Savchenko/Szolkowy and Davis/White were also quite good. Mostly underwhelming, truth be told, though that has just as much to do with the mediocre presentation (I found the camera was in the wrong place a lot).

Best moment: Chan's balloon. He's such an exquisite skater that I was glad we saw him even if he was overscored on his way.
Worst moment: The singing. Oh, the singing.

Replace one with one: Would've loved to see Wier/Amodio instead of Lysacek or Plushenko (sue me). Suzuki instead of Ando. No change in pairs (I like Dube/Davison, but not to Coldplay). DelShoes instead of F/S - just to see them skate one more time.

mot

On the Ice

I could not have phrased it better, tetana. Well done. (I tend to be moved more by the former, BTW, although more than often impressed by the latter.)

Justafan

On the Ice
OMG, I noticed that too!!! Not great enough to make uncle Dick happy, but still.
I was so excited to see that she worked on it! I saw a lot of improvement in her spins in lp, too. :clap:

For as big a score as she got in the LP the spins better have been spot on perfect.

grace23

Spectator
Agree that Lambiel was the best. Like V/M quite a bit, though they haven't touched "The Tennessee Waltz" for my favourite of their ex presentations. Wasn't as enthusiastic about Asada as others seem to be, though she was good. Kim was fine - loved that Ina Bauer. Shen/Zhao, Savchenko/Szolkowy and Davis/White were also quite good.
Replace one with one: Would've loved to see Wier/Amodio instead of Lysacek or Plushenko (sue me). Suzuki instead of Ando. No change in pairs (I like Dube/Davison, but not to Coldplay). DelShoes instead of F/S - just to see them skate one more time.

Exactly! Want to see DS skate one last time and love Lambiel's performance.

volk

Final Flight
Miki why isn't your LP like that? If you skated like that bronze medal would be yours!

Norpido

Match Penalty
I thought Mao had no say in which music she should have. I do love her SP music. It was heavy and very melodic. Her LP was not good. Every skater got some pointers to what they have to better.

Mao will be back. She has an edge in that axel and I think she has some beautiful spirals and spins.

Unfortunately I don't feel any emotion from Miki either. I like her but there just is no real emotions for me.

Nagasu might turn into something soon.

janetfan

Match Penalty
OMG, I noticed that too!!! Not great enough to make uncle Dick happy, but still.
I was so excited to see that she worked on it! I saw a lot of improvement in her spins in lp, too. :clap:

Uncle Dick said her leg position in the layback is not the best - and then he said it is really a minor point.
He said Yuna is the most athletic and most elegant Lady skater he has ever seen.
High praise indeed as Button has seen them all.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Our Finnish male Eurosport commentator has a rather ugly voice and an annoying way to speak. In competitions his opinions are strong, combined with very little actual CoP-knowledge. His best feauture is that he understands to keep his mouth shut during exhibition numbers, LOL. The Scandinavian Eurosport showed us the following skaters:

introduction starting from Ando
Takahashi
Pang/Tong
Faiella/Scali
Chan
Savchenko/Szolkowy
Rochette
Kawaguti/Smirnov
Asada
Plushenko (he actually interpreted music...)
Domnina/Shabalin (horrible black costumes)
Lambiel
Davis/White
Kim
Shen/Zhao
Lysacek
Virtue/Moir
the closing number, unfortunately one had to look at the singer way too much!!!

The absolute highlights for me were:
Lysacek skating so strongly to his beautiful Rhapsody in Blue programme, WOW
Shen/Zhao, what a beautiful number they had!!!
Kim
Lambiel
Rochette
Pang/Tong, really great!
Takahashi, a very elegant number and I really liked the music.

But I wish he could have come up with something new. He's the Olympic Gold Medalist! You would think we would have had something special, not a repeat for the umpteenth time of his World's LP.

You think that he knew beforehand that he becomes the Olympic champion?:laugh:

I read somewhere that Evan was planning to have some other music, but maybe SOI wants him to introduce it on tour the first time?

Last edited: