Who Will Skate at the Gala? | Page 20 | Golden Skate

Who Will Skate at the Gala?

ks777

Record Breaker
Both these links don't work for me. (NYC) and Youtube has removed Mao's Gala video due to copyright laws. NOW WHAT!!! I really want to see Mao. Can anyone help.
If you live in the US, nbcolympics.com should work. go there and click on video and search..

mhu714

On the Ice
Just watched a couple of the skates that weren't shown last nite. Marai was very nice but S&Z were just mesmerizing. They are truly a special pair. NBC are truly jackasses for not showing the whole gala. Back in the day, ABC always showed the top4 finishers, in every discipline. Even if they wanted to wait until this afternoon, when all they showed for the past 3 hours was a 50K Cross Co race with no American contenders, that would've been ok with me.

Well, time for US--Canada so I'll watch the others from last nite between periods.

darializa

Rinkside
:agree: kudos to her

ETA: I just found pictures of the layback on Yuna's forum. Judge for yourself.

http://yunaforum.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=1208&st=200 (you have to scroll down a little)

These are very nice photos, but none of the photos show the exact moment when she was completely turned out (at the very end of the spin when she had her arms pulled in to her chest). Still, the photos show her foot position to be better than in her competitive programs! I do hope that she continues to work on this as I do love a good turnout. Yuna's back position has always been lovely though. Gosh, there is so much to worry about when competing...Not only do skaters have to think about their multiple positions, they also have to count the number of revolutions between each of the changes.

yunasashafan

On the Ice
These are very nice photos, but none of the photos show the exact moment when she was completely turned out (at the very end of the spin when she had her arms pulled in to her chest). Still, the photos show her foot position to be better than in her competitive programs! I do hope that she continues to work on this as I do love a good turnout. Yuna's back position has always been lovely though. Gosh, there is so much to worry about when competing...Not only do skaters have to think about their multiple positions, they also have to count the number of revolutions between each of the changes.

Yeah, I am still hunting for those. Stupid NBC decided to go for an aerial shot right at the moment when she was pulling her arms in.

aurora100

Final Flight
About Yuna, she still has some points to improve, but I think she's one of the few skaters who can skate to any kind of music and be the music itself. Example: Yuna practicing her Gershwin steps to different music
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58ek52qmtE4

Wow, this is amazing. I don't want to be overly critical. But this shows much better of a skater Yuna is compared to Mao. I think Yuna actually could have made that awful music of Bells of Moscow work.

Mao, this video makes it obvious you have a lot of work to do. I like you as a skater but your team, your music and your choreo is killing your skating. Please change everything and go back to basic skating and find your own voice on ice. I pray for you.

miki88

Medalist
Wow, this is amazing. I don't want to be overly critical. But this shows much better of a skater Yuna is compared to Mao. I think Yuna actually could have made that awful music of Bells of Moscow work.

Mao, this video makes it obvious you have a lot of work to do. I like you as a skater but your team, your music and your choreo is killing your skating. Please change everything and go back to basic skating and find your own voice on ice. I pray for you.

How can you compare the two when the choreography is totally different? :sheesh: It's not like Yuna skated to the same choreography that TAT designed. It may only look better to you because you prefer her LP choreography more. Also if you check the protocals, Mao actually scored higher than Yuna on step sequences. hehe. And Mao doesn't need any prayer from someone who doesn't even appreciate her skating to criticize her like this. :disapp:

Last edited:

mhu714

On the Ice
Canada 2-1 after 2 periods. Watched a few more videos from last nite. Liked Mao but was really loved Ando, who is not usually one of my favorites. I think she should buidl an actual program around Requiem. She showed more artistry than I can remember in any of her competitive programs.

Nadine

Record Breaker
Well I caught this Gala on some webcast the other day, and I was blown away by The King's exhibition skate! Honestly, I enjoyed it more than both his SP & FS put together. That's the old king, the one I miss the most. Here's hoping he does something phenomenal like this when he comes back for Sochi in 2014.:rock:

I suppose I'm too late to catch any of the exhibition skates on NBC, but I didn't want to wade through all that, but here's hoping they repeat it sometime in the future, as the only one I'm interested in saving on my Olympic tape is Zhenya's. :)

SamuraiKike

Medalist
Well I just watched it. I havent watched any exhbition this season and It was nice and all but I kinda miss old gala exhibitions that were more show oriented. Most of the numbers were the skaters circling around the rink to more accesible music and without competitive elements. Only VirtueMoir, Plushenko and SS grabbed my atention.

inside edge

On the Ice
i agree with this. Yuna seems to be naturally more reserved and mature yet understands the music so well. It is a different kind of passion.
The fact that she is able to put her own emotions aside when skating makes her even more versatile. She absorbs whichever music she skates to, like a sponge.
When i watch yuna's miss saigon, danse macabre, scheherazade, 007 and gershwin, i get amazed by how one person can be so expressive-- a special, special talent, for sure.

ita!!!

pshla

Rinkside
Yah I noticed that too. She kissed him first then he responded. My goodness communist China has come a long way for women especially. I wonder what Chinese audience think of that. Not only China, but this is something that Asian couples do not do in public for anything. Fun fun fun.

Eh....I was really enjoying the reports on the gala when I saw this. China is very open and liberal about these things nowadays. And it's always been a pretty good country when it comes to gender equality. I don't think anybody below the age of 70 minded. Most Chinese people love their story and were probably really happy for them.

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
Eh....I was really enjoying the reports on the gala when I saw this. China is very open and liberal about these things nowadays. And it's always been a pretty good country when it comes to gender equality. I don't think anybody below the age of 70 minded. Most Chinese people love their story and were probably really happy for them.

Agreed. This is a non-issue in China. Everyone knows their story, and at any rate, they are a married couple. But I doubt the kissing would have mattered even if they weren't married.

aftertherain

Record Breaker
With the end of the gala yesterday and the Closing Ceremony today, I'm a bit sad that the Olympics are over, even with NBC's crappy coverage and all ...

newvie

Rinkside
How can you compare the two when the choreography is totally different? :sheesh: It's not like Yuna skated to the same choreography that TAT designed. It may only look better to you because you prefer her LP choreography more. Also if you check the protocals, Mao actually scored higher than Yuna on step sequences. hehe. And Mao doesn't need any prayer from someone who doesn't even appreciate her skating to criticize her like this. :disapp:

To be honest, I was not very impressed with Yuna's choreography. It was probably because I didn't like her music at all from the beginning (I rather preferred Mao's LP music). And when I watched the clip, I realized the importance of the interpretation. The music was no longer heavy and depressive.

No one doubts about Mao's skating ability. I also think Mao's step sequence was made more difficult than that of Yuna. Mao certainly moved a lot, but then again, I'm not sure if it really expressed the essence of the music. So, she got a level 4 in the step sequences, but what about in PCS interpretation?

I think she wanted to show that she could also interpret non-fairy music, but i guess she'll still have to stick to light/joyful/elegant music. That's the music she expresses very well and that's the music many people (including me) want to see her skating to.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
He said Yuna is the most athletic and most elegant Lady skater he has ever seen.
High praise indeed as Button has seen them all.

OMG, this is the first time I actually agree with Button in something...

sar

Rinkside
I was so excited to watch the Exibition Gala and so very disappointed when I did not get to see some skaters, especially, Shen and Zhao! The GOLD MEDAL winners and NBC did not see the need to show them. I do not understand what could have been going through their minds! We even had to watch delayed viewing some of the
skating competitions.
I read above that they saw the Gala on MSNBC the next day. They could have at least told us when and where it would be available for us to view.
Does anyone have a link or any info where me might find these performances.
Thank you

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
I was so excited to watch the Exibition Gala and so very disappointed when I did not get to see some skaters, especially, Shen and Zhao! The GOLD MEDAL winners and NBC did not see the need to show them. I do not understand what could have been going through their minds! We even had to watch delayed viewing some of the
skating competitions.
I read above that they saw the Gala on MSNBC the next day. They could have at least told us when and where it would be available for us to view.
Does anyone have a link or any info where me might find these performances.
Thank you

Try this link. It worked for me a few days ago. It was great to see the Gala from start to finish.

http://www.nbcolympics.com/video/assetid=7add21c2-4eb8-452a-9d15-ce8eb89e8841.html#exhibition+gala

Last edited: