Who Will Skate at the Gala? | Page 18 | Golden Skate

Who Will Skate at the Gala?

Phoenix347

Final Flight
Once again NBC decided that transiting from lovely ladies skating to soft music in spotlight to hind quarters of huffing beastly men pushing phallic shaped sleds is a good idea. Think again, NBC. Your coverage of the gala sucked. Those events already happened when you decided to air it. Just show it first for at least the sake of continuity. Gala got so chopped up, I lost what interest I had. You can decide not to show all the performance but at least keep it together.

colleen o'neill

Medalist
:biggrin: Excellent gala ...BUT... Caught some of NBC coverage after CTV's...:cry: Oh, my poor neighbours! That must have been pure hell for those of you with no other option. Worse than CTV's regular coverage got to be before the contract went to CBC.( And that's saying plenty.)

In an Exhibition, I never mind hands down or pops too much, I think they go too far with the lights. They could take them halfway down , I think it would be enough.

Standouts for me were;
Stephane..( no, don't leave us..)
Daisuke..( but I preferred the kimono style sleeves he used in Japan)
Joannie
Davis & White.. love that program
Zhangs..now if they could seem that connected in competition
Shen/Zhao..wow
Yuna..another beautiful, subtle piece of choreograhy

I like V/M's piece ( and love them) but would wish for something a bit more serious for world's ...probably too much to hope for. I'm just greedy.

nothingmuch

Rinkside
just checked some Chinese forums- They all love it. They'd been saying that Zhao has shown more feelings for Shen and finally he got something back - a truely happy ending

Are you Chinese,are there many Chinese denizens here?I am Chinese,and that comment made me laugh,to that guy I would say:If you dont know anything about the modern China,probably you are not very well educated

wonbinfan86

Match Penalty
Just saw mao's gala... I'm amazed how much energy she puts into the program, it was probably the most exciting one I saw out of the whole night! Why can't she skate like that in the SP and LP??

Engwaciriel

On the Ice
I'm not sure if this page is geoblocked or not, I think it's open for all europeans to watch (but might only be available in Sweden). Anyway, they have all the segments of the competition on it so far (with almost every skater, except a few in pairs i think), so I'm guessing the gala will show up to eventually, in case you missed something.

http://svtplay.se/t/125474/konstakning

Bennett

Record Breaker
I liked Miki's program. I didn't appreciate Miki's presentation before, but she is growing on me.

mishieru07

On the Ice
Out of the Asian countries, China has generally been one of the most forward-thinking in terms of attitudes towards women in the past few decades.

Wasn't it Mao Zedong who said that "Women hold up half the sky"? I wholeheartedly approve. :thumbsup: It's definitely true that in cities, there's much less discrimination against girls compared to previously. The rural population still has that "male > female" mentality though, unfortunately.

nothingmuch, I'm Chinese as well, but living in South-East Asia. IDK about modern China (only went there for holidays; never stayed long-term) but I think by and large Asians are more conservative about PDAs. It HAS gotten much more common over the years but the older generations are still kinda "ick" about it. Yeah. Just my two cents.

HOW CUTE WAS THAT THOUGH!! Awwwwwwwww!!! :love:

Yaye I love Galas! Always fun to see the skaters outside of competition! V/M are hilarious. :laugh: Yu Na was sooo lovely! B.Eurosport was so right in saying young girls should look at how she uses her arms back in 2008.

Wonbinfan86, ITA. Depressing, solemn music just doesn't fit Mao. It's like asking V/M to do very theatrical programmes or for D/W to do balletic, romantic programmes a la Mahler. Not impossible, but doesn't highlight their strengths.

I want my Mao back. I want the Mao who charmed me with her absolutely delightful FS to Czardas back in 06-07. :cry:

Bennett

Record Breaker
Oh, I loved Yuna's gala program. Her competitive programs are nice. But what I really wanted to see from her was such a tender, soft program. Her 2006-7 LP was along this line, but she has much better stretch and extension now. It was a very touching performance. Very soft and lyrical. She could actually smile a little.
I may enjoy this piece skated by Caro, too.

My mom and I were saying that we wanted to see Mao's delightful, exquisite program as a competitive one, and then the commentator said exactly the same thing, that was funny.

Last edited:

Smuusik

Rinkside
To tell the truth, I feel a bit sad :frown:
It's over. Again. And at the moment another four years seems like an eternity even though I know it actually passes like a blink of an eye.

Ah well, as always I'll simply try to remember every positive moment from Vancouver. It is too easy to criticize.

*takes her new pair of skis and heads off into the woods*
:biggrin:

mishieru07

On the Ice
It's over. Again. And at the moment another four years seems like an eternity even though I know it actually passes like a blink of an eye.

Ah well, as always I'll simply try to remember every positive moment from Vancouver. It is too easy to criticize.

It's Olympic withdrawal syndromes. My whole class had it after the Beijing Olympics. It just felt so weird to not see any more competitions after two full weeks of near 24/7 coverage!

Vancouver has been awesome. I am sad that the competition has now come to a close after the Gala!

Thankfully, Worlds is only a couple weeks away! Yaye!

And after that, I will probably go into a million depressions waiting for the new season to start *sulks*

Trewyn

Medalist
I'm not sure if this page is geoblocked or not, I think it's open for all europeans to watch (but might only be available in Sweden). Anyway, they have all the segments of the competition on it so far (with almost every skater, except a few in pairs i think), so I'm guessing the gala will show up to eventually, in case you missed something.

http://svtplay.se/t/125474/konstakning

Nope, works only in Sweden :( I think my Eurosport is going to show an hour of gala coverage later this afternoon.. Hopefully I'll get to see all the skaters I want...

katymay

Medalist
Glad I did not reside in US. Look at US national that cover the whole event and now the most precious olympic event they treated the broadcast wrorst than the beauty pageant.

I know skating has to share with other sports-but why, when there are skaters on the ice, do we have to sit through the same ole interviews with the same ole people (Vonn and her Law and Order audition, Hanna Storm on what to eat in the forest....) I am so jealous of those of you who didn't have to put up with NBC coverage, and I pray that some complete coverage will hit the torrent sites soon (hint hint) because that is the only way those of us unlucky enough to live in the USA will get to see any complete coverage, even if it is after the fact.
Actually, in almost every way NBC was a gaint FAIL. No great graphics (like downhill ski cameras for example), nothing innovative at all. Five hours of snowboard cross? (It seemed like five million). And how much speed skating? The same old people interviewed over and over and over again-Apollo Ono, the skateboard/snowboard dude, Vonn (who was a bust).
As far as the exhibition, we only got a few programs-not a fan of Lycheck, however, at least his exhibition number showed some effort, and yes Scott, some "hard work". LOL. Yuna was a big meh, as well as Plushy (did he put that together an hour before the ex?) Joanne, well, good for you, but I'm not a Celine Dion fan, and the costume seemed too small on her.

screech

Final Flight
I feel like I kind of missed the O's. I mean, I watched every figure skating event live and in full, but because of the time difference between Vancouver and Australia, most events were done during the wee hours of the morning here - I feel like I missed out on so much of the Games because of my love of figure skating. I don't think I even watched one full bobsleigh event (and I love bobsleigh!!)

But man, do the mens and pairs events seem like they were forever ago or what?

Justafan

On the Ice
I liked Mao's costume in the ex...but not particularly the music. It was nice to see her smile. Loved Dice-K! He has so much musicality...just a joy to watch. I enjoyed V/M...wow...they are so talented. Loved D/W as always. So far I haven't seen the entire gala thanks to NBC but trying to catch up with the vids.

What an Olympics...full of tragedy, drama and ground breaking performances. I think I've had enough for a while.

Norpido

Match Penalty
It's amazing how YuNa can get so much points with absolutely no open feelings in her programs.

nothingmuch

Rinkside
I'm from mainland:)
I meant that it's not like China is an Islam Country in Middle East,or it's like Chinese women are so discriminated that should gain China such outstanding hornour in the world/ Yet we see that someone could still bear such firm falsehood in mind as to be in total surprise that"Chinese women should not do such activties"or"How would chinese audience react"ect/
China is no particular at all over such sexist issues,well,let's say,which country on earth does not form their society in patrilineal scheme and thus follow the traditions which indicate that male is superior than the fairer sex?It's just a universal trendency,and so is everything familiar here in China.

euroskate

Final Flight
I just enjoyed watching the Gala. Especially the Finale Coreo was the best I ever saw. So many good programms. And so many nice dresses (Tanith, Meryl, Mao, Joannie, Xue,...)
Loved how Plushi showed his skating and performing abilities. Hopes he showes more of this skills at his next competitions.
Loved how Evan showed that he is a great jumper and spinner.
S/S were just magical and i thing it was the first time they actually kissed on ice :)
Stephan...perfect
I could continue like this :)
I just love this olympics and figure skating :)

janetfan

Match Penalty
It's amazing how YuNa can get so much points with absolutely no open feelings in her programs.

What are you talking about? Yuna is perhaps the greatest technical skater of all time and her expression is just sublime.
It's OK if she is not your favorite but to say she doesn't skate with emotion is ridiculous.

Her blend of athleticism and artistry is what sets her apart. She is so elegant and I thought she skated her LP like a dream.

nothingmuch

Rinkside
I'm sorry,but clearly she is not elegant.I'd rather say her ardent and open.
Mao is so much more elegant and adorable/I mean,she is like skating a simple wish,that's elegant.But Diana Kim is just skating for the competition,along with her frequent eye contact with judges and audience...

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Yu-na touched me. She has to use that music next season for her freeskate. It is so perfect for her style...the first time I ever really got an emotional reaction from her skating.

I agree. I thought she skated beautifully. Great Gala I enjoyed all of the performances. I give it an A+ and NBC gets an F from me for their poor coverage. At least it is up on their sight for viewing now.