Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on Vancouver's Figure Skating?

Custom Title

Thoughts on Vancouver's Figure Skating?

So many great moments - I'll echo others, I think deserves to be considered among the great Olympic Figure Skating competitions. If it wasn't for the pairs, it'd take that title outright.

Custom Title
    I thought that overall it was a really well skated competition and that the podiums were for the most part right. I'm kind of surprised with myself - I had predicted the dance, mens and ladies podiums exactly, and had predicted the winners of the pairs. Go me! And the audience seemed to be one of the great competition audiences I've ever seen (through TV) and not just for Canadian skaters - things like the support and encouragement they offered to Carolina through their rough skate. Applauding Johnny but showing distaste for his low marks...

Throwing tomatoes at corrupt judges Audrey19's Avatar
    If it wasn't for pairs??? Pairs were amazing an IMO the second most exciting event with awesome quality on the podium.
    Concerning men's and dance I was sooo excited before the competition, but underwhelmed afterwards. Not eve close to what was expected. Meh.
    The ladies on the other hand - wheeeeee! What a gorgeous night of figure skating! Queen Yuna was the class of the field, but everyone else was great as well! Will we ever see such a competition again? It was definitely the best I've seen all my life!

Custom Title
    I thought the quality of the skating was one of the best I've seen at an Olympics game. From ice dancing/pairs to the ladies and men. Fantastic!

"Hold an edge and look sexy!" museksk8r's Avatar
    I'm surprised to say that the ladies' event actually impressed me the most and I totally was not expecting that going into these Games. Oddly enough, the mens' event was the biggest letdown of all the disciplines I think.

My expectations of quality and exciting skating going in:

1. Men
    2. Pairs
    3. Dance
    4. Ladies

My impressions of quality and exciting skating coming out:

1. Ladies (thanks to Joannie, Yu-Na, Mirai, and Mao!)
    2. Dance (thanks to Virtue/Moir + Davis/White!)
    3. Pairs (I was expecting much more from S/S + M/T; S/Z + P/T were really good though!)
    4. Men (SO MANY of the men didn't skate to their potential, which is clearly evident given that Lysacek won.)
    Last edited by museksk8r; 02-26-2010 at 09:42 AM.

Yeah! Lets get this party started. enlight78's Avatar
    I think it was all good; Ladies exceded my expectations .

First off, the judging was fair! The right people won their titles! However, I think they do need to look into how they mark on jumps.

Second, plenty of skaters skated their personal (and season's) best.

And finally, it seems like we got the best of everything: S/Z got their fairy tale ending, V/M (and D/W) gave us a performance that will be remembered for years to come, the best Ladies final flight we've seen in a long time (from the starmaking performance of Mirai to Mao's amazing 2 3As, to Joannie's courage, to Yuna's 4 minutes of perfection), and a dramatic ending in the Men (that some are still kinda complaining about).

Waiting for on-ice perfection.
    Quote Originally Posted by museksk8r View Post

1. Men
    2. Pairs
    3. Dance
    4. Ladies

3. Pairs (I was expecting much more from S/S + M/T; S/Z + P/T were really good though!)
    4. Men (SO MANY of the men didn't skate to their potential, which is clearly evident given that Lysacek won.)
    My exact thoughts

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    And most important , I didnt burn the pop corn!

Quote Originally Posted by seniorita View Post
    Cool because we were wondering about it!

Custom Title
    My thoughts are first & foremost I'm overjoyed that me & my baby niece were able to attend our very first Olympic Games ever! Lol, and we have those famous red mittens as souvenirs, as well as pics & flags & wonderful memories we will cherish forever. *smile*

The Men, most especially to see Evgeni Plushenko skate live in person, was overall the best thing about these Games for me! Which is weird because this is the first time in my life I've ever loved watching the Men more than any other discipline put together. I only wish Brian Joubert had skated up to his potential (hopefully, with God's help, he does so at Worlds; crossing my fingers for him).

And the ladies was nice, but what I will remember the most was Mao Asada landing those two 3axels in her FS, omg I don't even know how to describe how I felt, except running outside & doing 100 laps around my neighborhood, and that's the truth.

Now it's on to Sochi in Russia ~ the very first time in history that Russia will be hosting an Olympic Winter Games ~ charrrrrrrrrggggggggggggeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!

I'm probably wasting typing here but, can we keep the comments on this thread to the skating and not the judging? We have so many threads already arguing the judging.

Seniorita, you are so cute I have enjoyed your posts during these Olympics and I found myself hoping Plush would win just for you!

As for the skating. The men's was a bit of a let down. Going in, we had about 10 guys that were contenders and only Evan really rose to the occasion (though Johnny did well, too). I was hoping for more phenomenal skates in the mens.

The pairs was great! For the top two to skate so strong. I only wish the Germans had skated a better LP.

The dance, what can I say? D/W & V/M blew it out of the box! I haven't enjoyed ice dance like that since..... ever!

The ladies were lovely, Yu-Na was nearly perfection, and Joannie showed mental toughness and courage like I never knew she was capable of. I'm still worried about her emotionally once this is over and she doesn't have the Olys to keep her focused but at least she knew she went out there and gave it her best shot and won the medal her mom wanted her to have. She'll always have that. The young Americans skated with complete heart as if they were saying, 'hey, we may not be favoured to get on that podium but we're darn sure going to try to get on there anyway!" Okay, and I have to say it, what the heck kind of a school teacher does Rachael Flatt have that she had to hand in an essay today after LP yesterday?
    Last edited by Sk8n Mama; 02-26-2010 at 10:26 AM.

she takes the audience on her journey of emotions Layfan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by museksk8r View Post
    I'm surprised to say that the ladies' event actually impressed me the most and I totally was not expecting that going into these Games. Oddly enough, the mens' event was the biggest letdown of all the disciplines I think.

1. Men
    2. Pairs
    3. Dance
    4. Ladies

Me too re ladies. I think we owe that two Mao, Joannie and Mirai. With Mao and Joannie, their troubles earlier this season left me a little deflated about the women's event but they proved to everyone the they should never ever have been underestimated. And Mirai proved that more should have been expected from her along.

Sad for Miki. But GO LADIES!!!!!

she takes the audience on her journey of emotions Layfan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by seniorita View Post
    Hurray!

Custom Title
    I thought it was the best Olympics I've seen since watching skating seriously - which goes back to Lillehammer I suppose. It also perhaps marks a bit of a transition from European dominance to North America and Asia and is significant for that. European skaters earned just three medals out of 12 on offer; since ice dance was added in 1976, they've never won less than half the medals, averaging 7...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast