Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on Vancouver's Figure Skating?

On the Ice
    SO here are my thoughts for these olympics:

1) Pairs: Sorry for S/Z fans, I am glad they won their long dued gold medal, but theirs was not a gold medal performance. P/T were beautiful, but not breathtaking. S/S had a lovely program but many mistakes too, so they were rightfully in 3rd place. I think S/Z won fairly BUT this was by far the weakest pair competition in since 1998 at least. I thought there was something missing, in technique and artistry. S/Z have had much much better performances.

2) Men: I am still trying to accept that Evan Lysacek is the olympic champion. Whatever you say, transition stuff, complete package and all, for my part he is an ungraceful low-jumper, with average technique and a completely forgetabble presence on ice. I think his LP was mediocre. I ve watched it twice, but I still don't remember anything except his terrble 3 axels. Evgeni PLushenko deserved to be the winner, and Takahashi had he landed the quad. Lysacek for me 3rd place.

3) ICE Dance: This competition was the ultimum OLympic Experience. Mark my words, Tessa and Scott, will, if they continue competing, BE legends in ICE dance and I can picture them winning a bunch of gold medals from now on. Artistry and technique in the highest levels. I watch their LP twice every day and every time I observe a new move, a new step, something I hadn't noticed before. They are COMPLETELY a league of their own. Their FD was a masterpiece and will go down in history.

4) Women: Didn't watch
    Last edited by nastasi1212; 02-26-2010 at 04:03 PM.

Rinkside
    Quote Originally Posted by ImaginaryPogue View Post

Quad vs Quality: What a ridiculous debate this became. Fans of complete skating were forced to root for Lysacek (egads) over Plushenko (egads) not because Lysacek exemplifies what we want to see (outside of competitive readiness and work ethic), but because he actually makes an attempt to improve all areas and has had some success. Seeing great skaters like Jeremy Abbott and Tomas Verner flame out was devastating (Verner will go down as the biggest, most talented headcase ever, I think), and seeing flawed performances from my favourites (Lambiel, Takahashi, Chan) just made this debate all the worse. The instant demonization of Plushenko was irritating (though I disagree with people who argue it’s a return of cold war rhetoric – I think that’s too reductive and is particularly dismissive of the reasonably complicated relationships between nations, like Canada and the USA), but the retaliatory knee-jerk lionization bugged me just as much. That said, COP reminds us that it’s not one element. Its things like quality. There’s no denying that Lysacek laid it down when it counted, and for that he has my respect.
    ITA. It's totally reasonable to argue about whether quad should be more valued under the current COP system, but that's totally different from saying that Evan doesn't deserve to be a champion because he doesn't have a quad. It's not his fault that everyone who has quad other than Plushy didn't deliver, and Plushy, as much as I admire him, gave us two programs that were completely devoid of anything except for his jumps (which weren't even that good in FS) and his charisma. I think this Olympics proved that COP, above all, demands absolute dedication and determination to be as prepared as possible and to improve on all areas of skating. It's a tough system, for sure, but a fairer one than 6.0 system IMO.

Shoe Diva
    I too was quite impressed with the quality of skating at this Olympics. Some did better than others, some scores left me scratching my head (esp. Johnny's - BOO!!!) and some favorites didn't medal (Tanith & Ben, Miki Ando) but overall - a great, great Olympics.

There was one thing though that marred this event for me: Sandra Bezic. She is simply an awful, awful person. The comments she made during Miki's skate were unacceptable. I've never heard such dismissive and even disrespectful commentating in my life and she is on my list.

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sk8n Mama View Post
    Seniorita, you are so cute I have enjoyed your posts during these Olympics and I found myself hoping Plush would win just for you!
    wow..thank you, that was a very nice thing to say, thank you so very much for these words

Custom Title
    The only real shocker to me was the Ice Dance. I thought Evan could win if Plushenko missed up (which he did), we knew Yuna would win and we new the Pair on won would win. I think the biggest thing I learned this Olympics is how arrogant Plushenko is, and that there is hope in the US skating world (Miari)

can't come down to Earth prettykeys's Avatar
    whole post

+Johnny's moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Kwanford Wife View Post
    There was one thing though that marred this event for me: Sandra Bezic. She is simply an awful, awful person. The comments she made during Miki's skate were unacceptable. I've never heard such dismissive and even disrespectful commentating in my life and she is on my list.

Constable , Costume Police colleen o'neill's Avatar
    I second Sk8nMama's sentiments , Seniorita. I think you should get a gold fan medal ..it's rare that someone who is such a BIG fan of a particular skater still tries to be fair (and as kind as possible to other people's favourites) at all times.

I had thought , before the games , that the Men's and Dance competitions would be the most exciting. Dance satisfied every expectation,and then some. I'm still floating.. Men's was a bit of a let down because of the splats, burn-outs , etc. But the Women's was so much more than I had been expecting, and not just because of Joannie , but her incredible performance was definitely part of it.
    The results in the pairs were satisfying , but not very satisfying in the way the competition played out.
    Overall, a wonderful Olympics ! Someone mentioned earlier ( I forget who)..Who would have thought dance would ever have the least controversial outcome ?. ..So true! I would never have predicted it.

Shoe Diva
    Quote Originally Posted by prettykeys View Post

+Johnny's moment.

don't laugh - I've already sent a strongly worded letter to NBC... I can't stand her. Andit wasn't just Miki - in JoRo's short program: what was up with "Another gift she's given us..." you moron - she was skating for her MAMA not you - you nasely, weasily snotty snit. Grrr... She's so awful - she makes me miss Peter C.

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by colleen o'neill View Post
    I think you should get a gold fan medal ..
    I do? But I m not so good, I just tried to shut up until I calmed down, but thank you, I ll take it with modesty but then I will give myself the platinum (ah I kid please.. I had a really hard week)

you nasely, weasily snotty snit. Grrr... She's so awful - she makes me miss Peter C.
    this is the lady in NBC? hmmm..
    Bring back Terry Gannon

Custom Title
    Like most of you mentioned that it seems to be the best ever Olympic in Figure Skating (I'm watching since 1968)!
    The most fair judging ( if you mention the outcome of each discipline), I think the hated COP grown up and gave its benefit for this sport ( Can you imagine to win Virtue/Moir under 6,0 system before waiting for their time??)

The best ever Ladies event ! All of the top 5 should win in any previous Olympic with their present performance!

3 out of my 4 favourites won the Gold!

A lots of emotions, tears and joy during the competitions , that is why we love this sport!

Shen/Zhao: my long time dream came true.

Virtue/ Moir: my not so long time but evenly strong dream came true.

Pang/Tong : magic

Yu-Na Kim: the perfect beauty in every way.

Mao Asada: a real sportman got her selfconfidence back and still beautiful and elegant.

Joannie Rochette: my hat down in front of her.

The highlight of the quality for me was:
    1. Yu-Na Kim breathtaking clean, airy, elegant , technically perfect and emotional performance in the FS.

2. Virtue-Moir's Flamenco. It was unexpected to me. The ice was melting underneath ! Truly one of the best Ice dance Olympic moment in the history ( besides Torvil-Dean's Bolero, Klimova-Ponomarenko's FD in 1992., and Anissina-Peizerat's OD, Flamenco 2002.)

Thank you athletes and judges !!!!

It seems judges are also understood that, if they make the experts angry with the unfair results, the sport will die.
    This sport will live forever. That is the best news!!

Custom Title
    Wow..where to start. I was ticked off with the NBC commentators throughout pretty much...Scott's giggling every time Johnny skated and gushing when one of his favorites skated. Sandra Bezic is clueless. I missed Dick Button..at least he tells it like it is.

It's been a head scratcher for me with some of the scoring being too high or too low. Obviously favoritism was at play in some instances and I thought we had gotten away from that with CoP.

Overall the quality of the skating was outstanding in every discipline. I am disappointed that our U.S. ladies were in a transitional phase and I guess not quite ready to take on giants.

I was amused at some of the costumes and bored with some of the musical selections. I am growing to hate "Carmen".

Otherwise it was all good. Can't wait for Worlds.

On the Ice
    whole post
    Great great post.

The only sad thing about the sweeping success of the young skaters: are we going to lose them too soon?

Custom Title
    don't laugh - I've already sent a strongly worded letter to NBC... I can't stand her. Andit wasn't just Miki - in JoRo's short program: what was up with "Another gift she's given us..." you moron - she was skating for her MAMA not you - you nasely, weasily snotty snit. Grrr... She's so awful - she makes me miss Peter C.
    She certainly dedicated her performance to her mother, but I felt blessed to witness one of the most beautiful moments in figure skating. If that's not a gift..

On cloud nine and refusing to come down!
    Whole post.

That sounds about right for me, down to being a V/M / Yu Na fan bot due to their 06-07 programmes

My favourites won OGM in 3 out of 4 disciplines! But admittedly, I was the happiest for V/M because like ImaginaryPogue, they're the ones who made me a figure skating uber. Shizuka made me like it, V/M made me LOVE it (Their Valse Triste FD is absolutely ). Also so very thrilled to see P/T NOT robbed and delivering a skate of a lifetime and S/Z finally winning the Gold that has eluded them for so long! The only thing that makes me a little sad about Ladies is Yu Na will most probably retire. She's been an absolute joy to watch. And many of my favourite men bombing ...

Overall, I thought the skating was excellent; the final flight in ladies gave it their all and the performances from D/W and V/M were breathtaking. Dance is finally going in the right direction: Artistry with technical difficulty and DANCING. A bit underwhelmed in Men's and Pairs, especially during the FS, which felt like a splatfest of sorts.

I particularly liked:
    1) V/M's FD. I believe this will go down into the history books as one of the best Free Dances the world has ever seen. IMO this is ice dancing at it's best: understated, classy, elegant, subtle and 4 minutes of pure magic. I desperately want them to stay in.
    2) D/W's OD. How can anyone NOT like it? It's fun, it's innovative and they sure sold the heck out of it.
    3) P/T's FS. They really brought it on a night when so many pairs splatted. Love the choregraphy, love the music choice and love them! I wanted to give them a standing O.
    4) Joannie. Another standing O. Not her best skates but girl deserves a hug and my respect for doing so well given the circumstances.
    5) YUUUU NAAAA . Girl was billed as the great FS star coming into the Games. She didn't disappoint and laid down two exceptional performances.
    6) Seeing all the skaters from the next quad. Men's should be VERY exciting. Mirai was fab and I'll bet that she'll be a force to reckon with in the next quad. Watch out Sochi. Ice Dance needs D/W and V/M to stay in. Pairs ... IDK.
    7) The joy on the skaters' faces after a great performance, especially from the OGMs. Scott gets brownie points for managing to pull a prank on Tessa.
    8) Skating from the heart. I felt Akiko, D/W, V/M, Joannie and so many others stood out because their expression was genuine. They really skated with heart and soul.
    9) FAIR JUDGING! I never thought I'd say this but it's true; I actually agree with all the podiums. (Not necessarily all the placements but it's a start!)

Rinkside
    Um, so since she was skating for her mom, the rest of us can't even think that "Joannie that was so beautiful thanks for doing this?"?? That's harsh.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast