Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 100

Thread: So, what is Elvis going to complain about this morning?

  1. #16
    Custom Title skatemom1122's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    504
    Quote Originally Posted by DesertRoad View Post
    He already complained about the results in a live blog last night. He said Yu Na's score was "inflated", and that Mao Asada was "underscored DRASTICALLY". He also said that people "can't even compare the technical difficulty of [Mao Asada's] program" to Yu Na's. I doubt his mood has improved any after a night's sleep.
    Yes, the technical difficulty of a program with 4 triples, a double flip, a double axel, and a single toeloop. Quite challenging for a skater of her callibre.

  2. #17
    On the Ice
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    31
    Quote Originally Posted by skatemom1122 View Post
    Yes, the technical difficulty of a program with 4 triples, a double flip, a double axel, and a single toeloop. Quite challenging for a skater of her callibre.
    ummmm....are you talking about the two triple axels?

  3. #18
    Custom Title skatemom1122's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    504
    yes, i said 4 triples, 2 axels, a flip, and a loop. however, she also performed a double flip-double loop-loop, a single toeloop, and a double axel. Yu-Na had six TRIPLES. How could Elvis ever say the technical difficulty was greater than Yu-Na?

  4. #19
    Mashimaro on Ice
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    1,419
    Quote Originally Posted by skatemom1122 View Post
    yes, i said 4 triples, 2 axels, a flip, and a loop. however, she also performed a double flip-double loop-loop, a single toeloop, and a double axel. Yu-Na had six TRIPLES. How could Elvis ever say the technical difficulty was greater than Yu-Na?
    Because Elivis believes for a woman to accomplish two triple axels takes a greater degree of difficulty, which is not an unreasonable argument.

  5. #20
    Custom Title skatemom1122's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    504
    Quote Originally Posted by miki88 View Post
    Because Elivis believes for a woman to accomplish two triple axels takes a greater degree of difficulty, which is not an unreasonable argument.
    Not under the IJS. Look at the base value for their elements.

    KIM: 60.90
    ASADA: 55.86

    The proof is evident.

  6. #21
    Mashimaro on Ice
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    1,419
    Quote Originally Posted by skatemom1122 View Post
    Not under the IJS. Look at the base value for their elements.

    KIM: 60.90
    ASADA: 55.86

    The proof is evident.
    Just because the system doesn't award it accordingly doesn't mean it is not more difficult. I think Elvis brings up a good issue that should be discussed. And he just thinks the gap should have been closer and many people shares his opinion on that.

  7. #22
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    199
    On one hand, I agree that this issue should be looked at more closely and bring a discussion, on whether Triple Axles and Quads should receive more credit.

    However, in Mao's case last night, Yes, having two triple axles is wildly amazing, but not having a Lutz or Salchow show signs of lacking full technical ability. Mao skated great, and her axles helped her earn a Silver. Not having a Lutz or Salchow, plus other mistakes put her out of the running for gold.

    Remember guys.... you should get awarded to do the tough stuff, but you'll do even better when you can do the easier stuff as well....

  8. #23
    On the Ice
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    38
    Quote Originally Posted by TtonyV7 View Post
    Not having a Lutz or Salchow, plus other mistakes put her out of the running for gold.
    On theory, I would totally agree, but it was Kim's extraordinary performance last night that kept Asada out of the running for gold, evident by the 150 point score. An added Lutz or Salchow by Asada would not have made the difference or a mistake-free performance...from a fan's perspective.

  9. #24
    Constable , Costume Police colleen o'neill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    1,797
    This guy is really just embarrassing himself now , or should be , if his ego would allow it.
    Of course he's entitled to his opinion, as we all are, but his lack of objectivity , of any real constructive input , his desire to have one element trump everything else, ensures that his opinion just doesn't carry the weight he would like it to. Talk about shark jumping.

    The ISU tried having a straight jump competition separate from World's or the GP .. but the fact that it never got much attention just goes to show that no-one is much interested in just watching skaters jump. Similarly, a straight spin competition would be pretty boring too.

    Maybe CoP will have some future adjustments in regard to various combos ..but Elvis isn't arguing for tinkering or fine tuning, he wants the big jumps to not only outweigh the other elements individually , but to outweigh the other elements combined. I 'm not even remotely interested in what he has to say, anymore.

  10. #25
    Custom Title bekalc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    3,084
    I get that Mao did 2 3axels, I truly do and I get that's really difficult. But she also didn't do 3lutzs, and she didn't do a 3/3 or even a double axel/3toe. And I'm trying to understand really hard why Elvis thinks that's somehow immaterial to the discussion. Its great that Mao has perfected that one amazing jump. But that doesnt' mean that somehow gives Mao a free pass when it comes to the other jumps. And I remember when Lambiel won an Olympic silver medal (landing a quad) but no 3axel, Elvis commented on the fact that we have " an Olympic silver medalist without a 3axel" Well Elvis we have an Olympic silver medalist without a 3lutz. So really the guy seems to have a double standard.

    I mean Kim did a 3lutz/3toe and a double axel/3toe. Mao couldn't even land a single solo 3toe cleanly. I guess according to Elvis everyone should just go out there land the hardest jump and then we can ignore everything else. He seems to forget that some jumps are harder for others.

    On theory, I would totally agree, but it was Kim's extraordinary performance last night that kept Asada out of the running for gold, evident by the 150 point score. An added Lutz or Salchow by Asada would not have made the difference or a mistake-free performance...from a fan's perspective.
    That's not true. Mao got 131 with a popped jump, AND an underrotated jump (which cost her points and GOE because that combo clearly had problems)... IF Mao were to add a 3lutz an get credit at for her 3flip, she'd already be over 140. And that's not even including the extra GOE she'd get for those clean jumps. Also if she were to do a sequence so she could get a 3toe and a 3sal her score would increase even more.

    Not to mention the fact that Mao's PCS would probably increase at enormous levels if she were to do an 8 triple program. I suspect that not having a 3lutz really hurts Mao PCS wise with the judges. So this idea that Mao could never ever come near Yu-na's score, isn't even true.
    Last edited by bekalc; 02-26-2010 at 11:06 PM.

  11. #26
    Rink Rat i love to skate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,477
    Quote Originally Posted by bekalc View Post
    Well Elvis we have an Olympic silver medalist without a 3lutz. So really the guy seems to have a double standard.
    We also have an Olympic gold medalist without a triple loop...

    Quote Originally Posted by bekalc View Post
    Mao couldn't even land a single solo 3toe cleanly.
    Again, you can apply this to Yuna. She couldn't even land a single triple loop cleanly and to be fair Mao's toe pick got stuck in the ice while totally threw her off going into that jump.

  12. #27
    Custom Title bekalc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    3,084
    Quote Originally Posted by i love to skate View Post
    We also have an Olympic gold medalist without a triple loop...



    Again, you can apply this to Yuna. She couldn't even land a single triple loop cleanly.
    Well Mao can't do a 3sal either. For me Mao's 3sal and Yu-na's 3loop all cancel each other. But the 3lutz is a big thing Mao is missing. To argue that its not is just ridiculous.

  13. #28
    Rink Rat i love to skate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,477
    Quote Originally Posted by bekalc View Post
    Well Mao can't do a 3sal either. For me Mao's 3sal and Yu-na's 3loop all cancel each other. But the 3lutz is a big thing Mao is missing. To argue that its not is just ridiculous.
    Agian, using this logic, YuNa is missing the triple axel so don't the lutz and axel cancel each other out as well?? They both can do 4 of the 6 triples.

  14. #29
    Dreaming and dancing Bennett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Watching the sunset
    Posts
    2,793
    Quote Originally Posted by chloepoco View Post
    I'm not defending him per se, I'm just saying he's allowed to have his opinion without people starting new threads about him such as this one. I believe there already is a thread about him (and if some of those are not hateful remarks directed at him, I don't know what is).
    Quote Originally Posted by antmanb View Post
    These kind of arguments always make me smile. Should freedom of speech should only apply one way? EVERYONE has the right to express their opinion. Many people (me obviously included) feel that Stojko's opinions are worthy of criticism. Personally i find all his "skating should be more butch" as very insulting and feel the need to express the counter view at every opporttunity available. So far I couldn't disagree more with his opinions and the way he has expressed his opinions over the years makes me not feel the need to express my counter opinions in a "nice" way. He's made his bed, he's big enough and ugly enough to deal with the fall out.

    Ant
    I didn't find the thread title very nice, either, even though not comparable as another, titled "Bitter, little man" which seems to have already been removed (I myself am one of, if not only, the ones who reported that thread to the moderators).
    Last edited by Bennett; 02-26-2010 at 11:14 PM.

  15. #30
    Custom Title bekalc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    3,084
    Quote Originally Posted by i love to skate View Post
    Agian, using this logic, YuNa is missing the triple axel so don't the lutz and axel cancel each other out as well?? They both can do 4 of the 6 triples.
    Okay that's cool If you want to say the 3sal cances out the 3loop, and the 3axel/2toe cancels out the 3lutz and the 3axel cancel each other out. (Okay) But Yu-na does a double axel/3toe, and Mao does nothing to cancel THAT out.

    :lol: I know I say this and do get that everything else Mao did to cancel out Yu-na was more difficult I do get that the 3axel/2toe is harder and the 3axel is harder than a 3liutz).. But I'm still sort of trying to make a point that Mao by making the jumping layout she chooses, doesn't really benefit from the triple axels the way she should. I will totally agree that in the end Mao's program is harder. But because Mao is missing a lot of technical stuff that the other ladies are doing, she gives up a lot of points...

    Even if Mao were to leave out her 3lutz. But do a 3axel and a 3flip/3loop and a 3flip/3toe like she did in 2008, I have a feeling that the judges would actually be a bit more impressed with that because Mao's showing that she can master all kinds of different tricks.....Not just one. All I'm saying is that its like since Mao left Arturian and became world champ. Mao has decided to put all of her eggs in the 3axel basket and essentially let everything else stagnant.
    Last edited by bekalc; 02-26-2010 at 11:34 PM.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •