The Critique of NBC | Page 4 | Golden Skate

The Critique of NBC

hurrah

Medalist
This Olympics has so made me realize it's all about the money. I'm just so disgusted.

DesertRoad

Final Flight
We saw more of the athletes in ads than we did in actual competition coverage.

But there's some hopeful news about the next Olympics. Right now, NBC is too broke to bid on any Olympic coverage, because they're the dead last rated network. But it's possible they'll turn it around. So it's up to us to not just boycott NBC, but discourage other people from watching NBC shows. If a coworker tries to discuss an NBC show during chit chat, politely stifle a yawn and change the topic. If a family member tries to turn the TV to NBC, say "let's watch something fun instead" and change the channel. Not that either of those things are likely to occur in the near future, given NBC's ratings. But we must be vigilant in case these incidents pop up. NBC viewership must be stomped out wherever we find it or all we'll get from Sochi is two programs per discipline!

hikki

Final Flight
Country
Japan
Guys, forget your local TV and go get Slingbox! If you have relatives/ friends who live in a country with good coeverage, Slingbox is the way to go! I watched the live coverage from Japan in Sydney. Crazy stuff!

One question. Were people in the east coast able to get the final flight live? Because I remember NBC showed US Nationals live in the east coast, and it was delayed in the west coast, althought the event was in the west coast. Meh!??

bibi24

Final Flight
Last edited:

chloepoco

Medalist
Some of the NBC sportscasters' quotes during these Games,
http://www.sportsfeatures.com/press...-nbcs-tom-hammond-on-kim-yu-nas-short-program

Tom Hammonds on Commentating Figure Skating,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oy825MSBWAQ

Always thought Tom Hammonds and Bob Costas are tools for always stating the obvious.... but they did defer enough to the experts Scott and Sandra to not be annoying :p
(j/k I am only jealous, can only wish to have their jobs)

I think Scott and Sandra need to be a little more objective though. I found them quite biased a number of times.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
I just can't believe they didn't show Mao gala program, didn't show Laura Lepisto LP. NBC=fail.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
They skipped the pairs GOLD medalists and their OWN SILVER medalists in dance!! how's that for a snub? The whole skating coverage was really bad, imo.

No they did not skip their OWN SILVER medalists. I saw Meryl & Charlie gala program to billie jean on NBC last night.

aftertherain

Record Breaker
I think Scott and Sandra need to be a little more objective though. I found them quite biased a number of times.

Seriously. I was so mad at Scott's comments right after Daisuke's LP and I remember being really mad at Sandra for .. something.

Mafke

Medalist
Seriously. I was so mad at Scott's comments right after Daisuke's LP and I remember being really mad at Sandra for .. something.

I don't live in the US anymore, but from what I remember of her incredibly biased and nasty commentating, being really mad at Sandra Bezic is almost always justified.

Last edited:

krln99

Rinkside
The women's coverage was especially atrocious. It was 95% Kim and Joannie. Now I'm not taking away from either of them, but come on, there was a lot more than just that. I especially disliked how they snubbed the American women. Their thinking was more or less "Well, they aren't medal contenders anyway, so why bother (even though Mirai was almost on the podium)" Way to NOT inspire a new generation of Americans to take up skating, NBC. total fail!!

chloepoco

Medalist
The women's coverage was especially atrocious. It was 95% Kim and Joannie. Now I'm not taking away from either of them, but come on, there was a lot more than just that. I especially disliked how they snubbed the American women. Their thinking was more or less "Well, they aren't medal contenders anyway, so why bother (even though Mirai was almost on the podium)" Way to NOT inspire a new generation of Americans to take up skating, NBC. total fail!!

I thought it was kind of funny (in a sad way) in the closing ceremony recap, how they cropped Mao out of the podium photo.

Phoenix347

Final Flight
I can't believe NBC didn't show Mirai's exhibition. Have they forgotten that she's American??

We saw more of the athletes in ads than we did in actual competition coverage.

But there's some hopeful news about the next Olympics. Right now, NBC is too broke to bid on any Olympic coverage, because they're the dead last rated network. But it's possible they'll turn it around. So it's up to us to not just boycott NBC, but discourage other people from watching NBC shows. If a coworker tries to discuss an NBC show during chit chat, politely stifle a yawn and change the topic. If a family member tries to turn the TV to NBC, say "let's watch something fun instead" and change the channel. Not that either of those things are likely to occur in the near future, given NBC's ratings. But we must be vigilant in case these incidents pop up. NBC viewership must be stomped out wherever we find it or all we'll get from Sochi is two programs per discipline!
Interesting comment. if it is true, were the Ratings poor? If NBC really goes broke, there is no major studio to replace them. When one thinks about the logistics of running an Olympics for Television purposes, what studio would want to risk the underlying costs?

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
No they did not skip their OWN SILVER medalists. I saw Meryl & Charlie gala program to billie jean on NBC last night.
Who sang Billie Jean??? Was it David Cook????

Also, can someone tell me about S&Z's exhibition program, they never showed it.

skatesindreams

Rinkside
With all of the broadcast platforms available to them, NBC should have been able to show all of the figure skating, even if they did it on "delayed broadcast".
They showed curling at all hours on CNBC/MSNBC. If they can do that, they can telecast skating.

We got more/better FS coverage when Roone Arledge was in charge at ABC.
Many of NBC's people worked for him. They need to remember what they learned there!

Last edited:

Jo1

Rinkside
Aside from their horrible abyssmal coverage of figure skating and the Gala, did anyone watch the closing ceremony? Did they really cut it off before the flame was extinguished? couln't believe what I was seeing: NBC cut the closing ceremony to go to a "sitcom". I've neveer seen that before . It was so terrible I just turned the TV off; the've really got to educate themselves before the 2012 London games. Here's some advice NBC--look at ABC.

JuliusFelix

Rinkside
I was on the road during the closing ceremonies (gah!) but from what family members who were home told me, NBC did show the flag handoff and the extinguishing of the flame. They cut away after the "Made in Canada" parade (aired till 10:30 ET) during the concert performances.

waxel

Final Flight
Very few outlets in Dallas carry Universal Sports- so like many markets- we'll be screwed on Worlds coverage.

I concur with all above who have lambasted NBC's telecast. Ratings-wise it was very successful, yet NBC expects to lose 250M on it anyway. Makes you doubt the future of Olympics coverage on broadcast television at all