The Critique of NBC | Page 3 | Golden Skate

The Critique of NBC

sbtrn

Spectator
NBC coverage of Figure skating pitiful in my book

I watch all last night hoping to see top 4 in all disciplines. I saw Lysacek, Plushenko, Virtue/Moir, Davis/White, Rochette, Ya Na Kim. Not one pair. Not Mao Asado, silver medalist. I am so disappointed. Then tonight they do a feature on Plushenko and Lysacek, then on Ladies event. Never mentioned the name Mao Asada or her picture. I am just sick. I will write NBC, but it probably won't do any good. Wish I got the coverage Canada gets.

miki88

Medalist
ITA! What does NBC have against the Japanese team that they ignore Mao and Dai time and time again! Does it have something to do with the recent Toyota crisis? I can't help but think it does.

yunasashafan

On the Ice
I watch all last night hoping to see top 4 in all disciplines. I saw Lysacek, Plushenko, Virtue/Moir, Davis/White, Rochette, Ya Na Kim. Not one pair. Not Mao Asado, silver medalist. I am so disappointed. Then tonight they do a feature on Plushenko and Lysacek, then on Ladies event. Never mentioned the name Mao Asada or her picture. I am just sick. I will write NBC, but it probably won't do any good. Wish I got the coverage Canada gets.

ITA how can you miss Mao's 3 triple axels? And Shen and Zhao's gold? And Tessa and Scott's first NA ice dance gold?... beats me.

ETA: My comment was directed at NBC for not showing the above skaters' exhibitions. NBC later showed Tessa and Scott.

Last edited:

sbtrn

Spectator
ITA how can you miss Mao's 3 triple axels? And Shen and Zhao's gold? And Tessa and Scott's first NA ice dance gold?... beats me.

I saw all of the competitions. As I said, I'm talking about last night only_ the figure skating exhibitions. They usually show top 4 in each discipline, but they only showed total of 6 performances.

sbtrn

Spectator
ITA! What does NBC have against the Japanese team that they ignore Mao and Dai time and time again! Does it have something to do with the recent Toyota crisis? I can't help but think it does.

I hadn't thought of that, but a definite possibility. I always enjoy Mao Asada and Takahashe so much. THen I read on the internet that Mao 's exhibition blew everyone else away, last night, and I'[m really mad I didn't get to see it. They have raved about Kim(she is indeed great skater) but probably thought Mao's exhibition would knock her off her throne.

yunasashafan

On the Ice
I saw all of the competitions. As I said, I'm talking about last night only_ the figure skating exhibitions. They usually show top 4 in each discipline, but they only showed total of 6 performances.

I am with you! Totally abysmal coverage! Even when they were recapping the figure skating events today, they skipped over Mao, Dai, and all of the Dance and Pairs. The revisited Tessa and Scott later but completely ignored Shen and Zhao :(

yunasashafan

On the Ice
I hadn't thought of that, but a definite possibility. I always enjoy Mao Asada and Takahashe so much. THen I read on the internet that Mao 's exhibition blew everyone else away, last night, and I'[m really mad I didn't get to see it. They have raved about Kim(she is indeed great skater) but probably thought Mao's exhibition would knock her off her throne.

It wasn't about knocking Kim or anything.. they skipped virtually everybody even some of the US skaters (Belbin and Agosto, and Mirai). It would have been a complete disgrace if they had skipped the Ladies champion since usually Ladies FS is the most watched event of the Olympics. They skipped the pairs champions for crying out loud. Mao and Dai are silver and bronze medalists and they did not show any of those except Plushy, who is a previous champ, Davis and White (US), and Joannie because of her personal story.

Last edited:

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker

This is a truly silly statement. NBC executives are clueless about how to properly package and show figure skating--period. Japanese, Chinese, Americans, Canadians, etc. doesn't matter. It certainly has nothing to do with Toyota or anything else Japanese. I think if you look back on other past NBC skating coverage, it wouldn't get any rave reviews, either.

My, we are paranoid aren't we!

miki88

Medalist
This is a truly silly statement. NBC executives are clueless about how to properly package and show figure skating--period. Japanese, Chinese, Americans, Canadians, etc. doesn't matter. It certainly has nothing to do with Toyota or anything else Japanese. I think if you look back on other past NBC skating coverage, it wouldn't get any rave reviews, either.

My, we are paranoid aren't we!

Well, they never did fail to show the Americans or Canadians and that goes for other sports beside figure skating. I am not paranoid. It was just a guess because it seems weird they just skip the silver lady medalist.

yunasashafan

On the Ice
Well, they never did fail to show the Americans or Canadians and that goes for other sports beside figure skating. I am not paranoid. It was just a guess because it seems weird they just skip the silver lady medalist.

They skipped the pairs GOLD medalists and their OWN SILVER medalists in dance!! how's that for a snub? The whole skating coverage was really bad, imo.

miki88

Medalist
They skipped the pairs GOLD medalists and their OWN SILVER medalists in dance!! how's that for a snub? The whole skating coverage was really bad, imo.

Did they recap pairs and dance at all? I heard they only did Evan-Plushenko and Ladies but only showed Joannie and Yuna. I mean if they were going to recap the events, at least show all the medalists.

sbtrn

Spectator
Not paranoid at all. You may be too young to remember, but when Kristi Yamaguchi won in 1992 (she was Japanese American) it is a fact that she did not receive many endorsements because it was said people still held a grudge from World War 2. Sounds ridiculous, maybe but it was true. I don't believe anyone feels that way now, but it was certainly true back then.

yunasashafan

On the Ice
Did they recap pairs and dance at all? I heard they only did Evan-Plushenko and Ladies but only showed Joannie and Yuna. I mean if they were going to recap the events, at least show all the medalists.

You mean the exhibition? They showed Virtue and Moir! They probably wanted to show Joannie since the exhibition was a tribute to her mom. And they basically stopped at Plushy for the men. He is the previous Oly champ after all.

sbtrn

Spectator
I wrote NBC an e-mail. Probably won't do any good, but hopefully someone will read it and at least think about it. Does anyone know if NBC or ABC will do Worlds?

miki88

Medalist
You mean the exhibition? They showed Virtue and Moir! They probably wanted to show Joannie since the exhibition was a tribute to her mom. And they basically stopped at Plushy for the men. He is the previous Oly champ after all.

No I mean the Olympic highlight recap they did before the closing ceremony started. I only saw the ladies part where they did not show Mao.

yunasashafan

On the Ice
No I mean the Olympic highlight recap they did before the closing ceremony started. I only saw the ladies part where they did not show Mao.

No they did not. Again they talked about Yuna (duh) and Joannie and what she had to go through. I agree with you they should have definitely mentioned Mao since she made history! EPIC FAIL! I wouldn't take it personally though since they've been really messing up. To their credit, they did mention her in all the other recaps that I've seen.
Case in point: In the recap, they talked about V/M but not about D/W

See, this is what I've been complaining about all along. NBC broadcast = EPIC FAIL

miki88

Medalist
No they did not. Again they talked about Yuna (duh) and Joannie and what she had to go through. I agree with you they should have definitely mentioned Mao since she made history! EPIC FAIL! I wouldn't take it personally though since they've been really messing up. To their credit, they did mention her in all the other recaps that I've seen.
Case in point: In the recap, they talked about V/M but not about D/W

See, this is what I've been complaining about all along. NBC broadcast = EPIC FAIL

Thanks. I can't believe they didn't show pairs and mention Shen/Zhao though. Their broadcasting is so inconsistent.

yunasashafan

On the Ice
Thanks. I can't believe they didn't show pairs and mention Shen/Zhao though. Their broadcasting is so inconsistent.

Yes, and guess what? they just decided to cut the last hour of the closing ceremony to show a stupid show!! are you kidding me? they say they'll be back to the Olympics in 30 minutes but I don't thinkb they'll show the remaining part, probably just another string of replays.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I wrote NBC an e-mail. Probably won't do any good, but hopefully someone will read it and at least think about it. Does anyone know if NBC or ABC will do Worlds?

NBC gets Worlds, they made a big deal about it during the coverage yesterday... saying the 'drama' continues next month at Worlds.

R.D.

Record Breaker
But I think it's being shown all on Universal Sports...

Yes, and guess what? they just decided to cut the last hour of the closing ceremony to show a stupid show!! are you kidding me? they say they'll be back to the Olympics in 30 minutes but I don't thinkb they'll show the remaining part, probably just another string of replays.

Yup.

Last edited: