Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: The Critique of NBC

Quote Originally Posted by merrywidow View Post
    Why as a figure skating fan do you think you are more entitled than any other sport fan?

Custom Title
    Yeah, people in US are more into snowboarding than figure skating. No wonder.

Banned
    NBC was God awful. I think we can assume that fs fans on GS feel ripped off by the coverage. As the "marquee event" it was treated very badly. I emailed NBC early on. I think we all who cannot believe we were treated to Mary Carillo (ick btw) and logging should send a qwik email to the idiots.

Down With It
    in the heat of the moment I was admittedly frustrated with NBC's coverage. Not so much for showing only the final flight as it was switching back and forth between live skating and the taped events- which I normally don't mind, actually I like it- but they way they treated it was almost like, this is what you COULD be seeing- but no, you must wait. It felt almost like the fish that's dangled in front of you and when you reach for it, it's pulled further out of reach...you get to it and it's pulled again...you get my drift.

I like many of the other sports- in fact, I was watching them earlier and would change the channel every time skating (particularly ice dancing, meh) came on- they seemed like they showed so much skating earlier that I really was expecting more coverage of skating this time, especially considering its "marquee event" status. I think they showed considerably more of the other disciplines, especially pairs...

While I completely understand and appreciate what the Olympics are about, and usually generally enjoy their format of various sports in primetime (minus the pointless fluffs and interviews- come on guys) - can't help but feel a little let down by Thursday night's coverage. It was enough to send me searching for some crappy quality Russian(?) stream which was definitely better than nothing (Thanks to those who were kind enough to post the link for me)

Then they tried to make up for it by saying the final group would be commercial free. It was nice to have that continuous coverage but I feel that showing only the final skaters sucked out much of the anticipation (any that was LEFT after Yuna got that insanely stupid high score) that when it came I was like, yeah, whatever. I must say though that for the first time, I found myself a tad nervous for Rachel. (That NEVER happens to me!) Mirai as well.
    Last edited by R.D.; 02-27-2010 at 07:06 PM.

I agree NBC did poor job showing the skating and, I also wanted to see more of the skating but I also like watching the other events that I normaly wouldn't ever watch. We do need to relsie that the Olympics is more than one sport and were not the only ones watching and fans of other sports want to see their sports as well.

Custom Title
    I would just rather watch the figure skating live and record the other events. I am still ticked that in order to watch most figure skating events now I have to go to Universal Sports during the regular season. I had to get a special antenna just to do that because its not on my Uverse plan. So to have to sit through curling or whatever just to get to figure skating irks me because of waiting 4 yrs then they make me wait 4 hrs! Then they chop out half the skaters.

Custom Title

NBC Coverage

Being an avid figure skating fan, I was extremely disappointed in the coverage. Last night was the clincher, showing only six of the exhibition programs.

I don't know about anyone else but each time a Mary Carillo segment came on I just cringed. Why can't the networks put these mundane "human interest" stories on a special after or before the olympics. I'm not interested in sled dogs, logging or any other "side" stories during the Olympic Games.

The lack of coverage of figure skating was extremely annoying but considering the decline of interest in our sport, could be the key. It's very unfortunate that we were unable to see at least the last twelve skaters in the ladies' competition. Perhaps the fact that the US didn't have clear cut podium finishers was part of the decision on the coverage. Perhaps it was felt that because the US was unlikely to medal, interest in watching would be less.

However, in other areas it seemed business as usual. Once Plenshenko made his ignorant comments, the news media was "all over" every other event "loser" to catch someone saying something deemed as inappropriate. Anything for a story!!

Dizzy

Mashimaro on Ice
    The coverage was so awful! There was more coverages of skiing, short track (because of Ohno) and lungeing than figure skating.

Without a Leading Lady in figure skating to push their commercial supporters, they used the back-ups of Vonn and Ohno, both of whom's competitions were in the afternoon. They didn't show afternoon competitions, so the taped versions were interspersed with Figure Skating somewhat, but most of Figure Skating was dropped out of site. If fans were interested in Alpine and Short Track, as I am, I would switch very easily to Unisport, but Unisport was showing past competitions of anything but the Olympics.

They also fooled around in the Summer Olympics not to suit their fans but to show what they believed would be a good selling point on TV. There was no Decathalon!! which is always the top Oly event.

I shall refuse to purchase anything NBC was showing as commerials.

I have comcast and because it's a small market area we don't get Universal Sports, so it wasn't a choice for me to watch other then the local NBC.

Rinkside

NBC coverage of Figure skating pitiful in my book

I watch all last night hoping to see top 4 in all disciplines. I saw Lysacek, Plushenko, Virtue/Moir, Davis/White, Rochette, Ya Na Kim. Not one pair. Not Mao Asado, silver medalist. I am so disappointed. Then tonight they do a feature on Plushenko and Lysacek, then on Ladies event. Never mentioned the name Mao Asada or her picture. I am just sick. I will write NBC, but it probably won't do any good. Wish I got the coverage Canada gets.

Mashimaro on Ice
    ITA! What does NBC have against the Japanese team that they ignore Mao and Dai time and time again! Does it have something to do with the recent Toyota crisis? I can't help but think it does.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by sbtrn View Post
    I watch all last night hoping to see top 4 in all disciplines. I saw Lysacek, Plushenko, Virtue/Moir, Davis/White, Rochette, Ya Na Kim. Not one pair. Not Mao Asado, silver medalist. I am so disappointed. Then tonight they do a feature on Plushenko and Lysacek, then on Ladies event. Never mentioned the name Mao Asada or her picture. I am just sick. I will write NBC, but it probably won't do any good. Wish I got the coverage Canada gets.
    ITA how can you miss Mao's 3 triple axels? And Shen and Zhao's gold? And Tessa and Scott's first NA ice dance gold?... beats me.

ETA: My comment was directed at NBC for not showing the above skaters' exhibitions. NBC later showed Tessa and Scott.
    Last edited by yunasashafan; 03-01-2010 at 02:17 AM.

Rinkside
    Quote Originally Posted by yunasashafan View Post
    ITA how can you miss Mao's 3 triple axels? And Shen and Zhao's gold? And Tessa and Scott's first NA ice dance gold?... beats me.
    I saw all of the competitions. As I said, I'm talking about last night only_ the figure skating exhibitions. They usually show top 4 in each discipline, but they only showed total of 6 performances.

Rinkside
    Quote Originally Posted by miki88 View Post
    ITA! What does NBC have against the Japanese team that they ignore Mao and Dai time and time again! Does it have something to do with the recent Toyota crisis? I can't help but think it does.
    I hadn't thought of that, but a definite possibility. I always enjoy Mao Asada and Takahashe so much. THen I read on the internet that Mao 's exhibition blew everyone else away, last night, and I'[m really mad I didn't get to see it. They have raved about Kim(she is indeed great skater) but probably thought Mao's exhibition would knock her off her throne.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast