1. Shen/Zhao winning their gold medal, their reaction when they found out they won, and the sweet kiss on the forehead that Hongbo gave Xue at the Medal Ceremony
2. Pang/Tong amazing free skate.
3. Takahashi's short and long programs
4. V/M OD was so beautiful.
5. Belbin and Agosto's OD
4. Yuna Kim's performances
5. Joannie made me cry
6. Mirai thanking P&G for her make up in the Kiss n Cry and making stoic Frank laugh
Go marry the quad if you love it so much
The obvious stuff first, the winners and losers:
- My faves winning gold: Shen/Zhao, Virtue/Moir, Yu Na Kim
- Skaters I dislike finishing lower than expected: Plushenko, Domnina/Shabalin, Rachael Flatt
Moments I enjoyed outside the podium:
- Plushenko and his supporters being sore losers. The platinum medal cracks me up. That's a joke that will live on and on.
- Elvis Stojko making a fool of himself. It's high time more people realized what an idiot he is.
- Johnny Weir's many hilarious statements, fashion or otherwise. That semi-backless, strappy top he wore to a party was classic.
- Daisuke crying and letting loose before his program was even over. Always wanted to see a skater I liked cry tears of joy during a program. Couldn't have happened more wonderfully.
- Scott Moir roaring "YEEEEEAAAAAH!" and "Whoa, baby!" after the OD.
- Yu Na Kim pumping her arms in triumph in the Kiss & Cry.
- Finding out that Mao Asada's triple axels all got ratified.
- Laura Lepisto doing an imperious "cut it out" motion after her music got started at the wrong place. She looked like she was going to cut somebody, too. Love a strong woman.
- Hearing P.J. Kwong announce everybody's names with perfect diction. It's a small pleasure, but one nonetheless and repeated quite often.
Stuff unrelated to figure skating:
- VANOC screwing up the torch lighting. Seeing the Great One all agitated and helpless was perversely delightful.
- VANOC screwing up the speed skating ice.
- VANOC finally admitting the luge track was dangerous and fixing it.
- All the jokes about VANOC's ridiculous medal design.
- The world agreeing to never, ever let these people host another sporting event again.
- The Korean speedskater who took his teammate out and gave Ohno, whom their country hates, a silver. Ha-ha! /Nelson Muntz
- Canadian hockey team getting the beat down from the US, and Canadians despairing after that.
- The utter failure of Canada's ridiculous "Own the Podium" program.
- That Russian skier and the Russian media complaining that half an hour is not long enough for her to pee and take a drug test, and that it's an evil Canadian conspiracy against Russians.
- Lindsey Vonn only winning one gold medal. Where is your poster girl now, NBC?
- Shaun White ending his victory lap with a perfect Tomahawk.
- Canada getting beat by the US again in men's hockey final.
Originally Posted by desertroad
I keep on fallin' for Kwan
Julia Mancuso is correct. It's a popularity contest and a horrible day if Lindsey doesn't do well. :P
Originally Posted by DesertRoad
Dreaming and dancing
Overall, great SP competition in ladies. Few bombing, unlike men's.
Very well put. Especially about Joanne.
Originally Posted by screech
I noticed this too. Thank you for pointing that out. She is the best. Apparently she speaks five languages or something ridiculous like that and she knows skating and skaters inside and out. I noticed she pronounced Yuna Kim the way it is spoken in Korean too.
Originally Posted by DesertRoad
SZ's perfect comeback!!!