Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Moments of Vancouver 2010?

Rinkside
    1. Shen/Zhao winning their gold medal, their reaction when they found out they won, and the sweet kiss on the forehead that Hongbo gave Xue at the Medal Ceremony
    2. Pang/Tong amazing free skate.
    3. Takahashi's short and long programs
    4. V/M OD was so beautiful.
    5. Belbin and Agosto's OD
    4. Yuna Kim's performances
    5. Joannie made me cry
    6. Mirai thanking P&G for her make up in the Kiss n Cry and making stoic Frank laugh

Go marry the quad if you love it so much DesertRoad's Avatar
    Favorite Moments

The obvious stuff first, the winners and losers:
    - My faves winning gold: Shen/Zhao, Virtue/Moir, Yu Na Kim
    - Skaters I dislike finishing lower than expected: Plushenko, Domnina/Shabalin, Rachael Flatt

Moments I enjoyed outside the podium:
    - Plushenko and his supporters being sore losers. The platinum medal cracks me up. That's a joke that will live on and on.
    - Elvis Stojko making a fool of himself. It's high time more people realized what an idiot he is.
    - Johnny Weir's many hilarious statements, fashion or otherwise. That semi-backless, strappy top he wore to a party was classic.
    - Daisuke crying and letting loose before his program was even over. Always wanted to see a skater I liked cry tears of joy during a program. Couldn't have happened more wonderfully.
    - Scott Moir roaring "YEEEEEAAAAAH!" and "Whoa, baby!" after the OD.
    - Yu Na Kim pumping her arms in triumph in the Kiss & Cry.
    - Finding out that Mao Asada's triple axels all got ratified.
    - Laura Lepisto doing an imperious "cut it out" motion after her music got started at the wrong place. She looked like she was going to cut somebody, too. Love a strong woman.
    - Hearing P.J. Kwong announce everybody's names with perfect diction. It's a small pleasure, but one nonetheless and repeated quite often.

Stuff unrelated to figure skating:
    - VANOC screwing up the torch lighting. Seeing the Great One all agitated and helpless was perversely delightful.
    - VANOC screwing up the speed skating ice.
    - VANOC finally admitting the luge track was dangerous and fixing it.
    - All the jokes about VANOC's ridiculous medal design.
    - The world agreeing to never, ever let these people host another sporting event again.
    - The Korean speedskater who took his teammate out and gave Ohno, whom their country hates, a silver. Ha-ha! /Nelson Muntz
    - Canadian hockey team getting the beat down from the US, and Canadians despairing after that.
    - The utter failure of Canada's ridiculous "Own the Podium" program.
    - That Russian skier and the Russian media complaining that half an hour is not long enough for her to pee and take a drug test, and that it's an evil Canadian conspiracy against Russians.
    - Lindsey Vonn only winning one gold medal. Where is your poster girl now, NBC?
    - Shaun White ending his victory lap with a perfect Tomahawk.
    - Canada getting beat by the US again in men's hockey final.

Rinkside
    Quote Originally Posted by desertroad View Post
    favorite moments
    lindsey vonn only winning one gold medal. Where is your poster girl now, nbc?
    ita!!!!

I keep on fallin' for Kwan
    Quote Originally Posted by DesertRoad View Post
    - Lindsey Vonn only winning one gold medal. Where is your poster girl now, NBC?
    Julia Mancuso is correct. It's a popularity contest and a horrible day if Lindsey doesn't do well. :P

Mao SP
    Mirai LP
    Akiko LP
    Lepisto LP
    Alena SP
    Overall, great SP competition in ladies. Few bombing, unlike men's.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by screech View Post
    Joannie - everything about her grace, strength and courage under pressure and grief. She is the epitome of a role model for how she handled herself and for not making anything about her and her grief - trying to leave her personal issues for her private time and the competitor on the ice. She truly was outstanding in all possible ways.

V/M - that FD will go down as one of the greats
    Johnny Weir - he has been under fire for his flamboyance in Australia and Canada but has been eloquent, stating his opinion without trashing anyone else, and has even now become a kind of correspondent on Aussie TV for the games. True grace under such disgusting circumstances
    Shen/Zhao - their reactions to winning their gold. They skated like such champions and to see them reach their ultimate goal, especially with their mature ages for the field, is outstanding
    Evan - first of all, having 2 outstanding skates. And then for acting like a complete gentleman when dealing with bitterness. Well done Mr. Snakey Feathers
    Kim Yu-Na - Outstanding skates under pressure - finally putting 2 clean programs back to back and earning her gold medal with class and almost perfection.
    Very well put. Especially about Joanne.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by DesertRoad View Post
    Favorite Moments
    - Hearing P.J. Kwong announce everybody's names with perfect diction. It's a small pleasure, but one nonetheless and repeated quite often.
    I noticed this too. Thank you for pointing that out. She is the best. Apparently she speaks five languages or something ridiculous like that and she knows skating and skaters inside and out. I noticed she pronounced Yuna Kim the way it is spoken in Korean too.

On the Ice
    Best moment:
    SZ's perfect comeback!!!

Joannie - nuf said
    Evan's win - I know controversial - but just teh whole drama of the moment. who'da thunk it? his joy was infectious!
    shen and zhao's return to olympic ice

my final score for the USFSA Fantasy game lol

she takes the audience on her journey of emotions Layfan's Avatar
    6. Mirai thanking P&G for her make up in the Kiss n Cry and making stoic Frank laugh

Rinkside
    Quote Originally Posted by #1Kerryfan View Post
    Best Moments:
    Evan's skates, seeing him on top of the podium, and his amazing sportsmanship when having to deal with so much crap. He did two amazing performances, won an Olympic Gold and was bullied by Plushenko and his allies. I would have been a lot more angry than he appeared to be.
    The American women placing high (if this continues, 3 spots in 2014 )
    Shen and Zhao finally getting gold
    Virtue and Moir's FD
    Rochette competing despite everything

Worst moments:
    Kim being overscored
    Plushenko's sportsmanship
    Weir being underscored
    Mao being overscored.
    I think Joannie should have won silver.

it's olympic season :D bethissoawesome's Avatar
    Best moments:
    The Japanese men really going for it and showing their love of the sport
    Joannie, rising to the moment and being a true athlete and gracious competitor
    Yu-Na finally putting down both a clean SP and LP to not just win the OGM, but deserve it
    Mao throwing out a spectacular SP, shutting up everyone who counted her out, and landing all of her 3A's
    S/Z finally getting their gold

Worst moments:
    Oda's lace breaking... what horrible timing :-/
    The quad hype
    The score inflation (it makes other great programs from the past look like they must have been **** from the numbers)
    Dai's fall on the quad
    Johnny Weir being underscored

Best moments :

Joannie winning the bronze with grace and dignity
    Taka's SP & LP - love him!
    Yuna & Brian Orser in the K&C (I adore Brian O.)
    Mao's strong SP and LP (I want her to feel proud for winning the silver medal)
    Shen & Zhao winning gold (very happy with the entire pairs podium - ecstatic that Pang & Tong skated superbly)
    Evan winning gold
    Johnny skating well and being happy about it
    Virtue & Moir, Davis & White on the podium (Tanith & Ben should have been with them too)
    So proud of Amanda & Mark, Caydee & Jeremy, Samuelson & Bates, the Kerrs, Delobel & Schoenfelder, Faiiella & Scali, Mirai, and Rachel
    Very impressed with Michal Brezina
    Seeing Terry Gannon on Universal Sports Figure skating/Review/Preview show (I know it wasn't as funny as Olympic Ice, but I still enjoyed it with the variety of guest skaters). Always a pleasure to see "Uncle" Dickie!

Disappointments:

Plushy's arrogance and over emphasis on the quads (and front loaded programs, wonky landings) - I used to respect him immensely (and enjoyed his performances ever since 1997/1998 season), but I've lost all respect for him at this point.
    Tanith & Ben should have been on the podium
    Jeremy Abbott's SP. Hope he comes back strongly at Worlds
    Johnny being underscored
    Tamar Katz not given the chance to skate in the Olympics (I hope she gets her chance at Worlds)
    NBC's FS coverage - not showing Sarah Maier (I know she had her problems this season), Akiko Suzuki, Alena Leonova, Laura Lepisto, etc.
    Last edited by iluvtodd; 02-27-2010 at 09:15 AM.

"Hold an edge and look sexy!" museksk8r's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mirage View Post
    Mao being overscored.
    I think Joannie should have won silver.
    I didn't want to say this due to the risk of being lynched, but since you bit the bullet first , I totally agree! I definitely think 7 ratified triples Rochette should have placed ahead of 4 ratified triples Asada in the LP, regardless of 2 of them being 3Axels. Asada's mistakes were more severe than Rochette's . . . Mao even singled a planned triple toe! Joannie skated with more speed and emotion than Mao too. JR should have silver, IMO!
    Last edited by museksk8r; 02-27-2010 at 10:20 AM.

Tripping on the Podium
    Quote Originally Posted by museksk8r View Post
    I didn't want to say this due to the risk of being lynched, but since you bit the bullet first , I totally agree! I definitely think 7 ratified triples Rochette should have placed ahead of 4 ratified triples Asada in the LP, regardless of 2 of them being 3Axels. Asada's mistakes were more severe than Rochette's . . . Mao even singled a planned triple toe! Joannie skated with more speed and emotion than Mao too. JR should have silver, IMO!
    I agree. Mao's two 3Axels in LP are actually underrotated, though one in SP is all right. JR's perfromance is better than Mao and deserves Silver, though JR said the result wasn't matter.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast