Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Moments of Vancouver 2010?

Custom Title
    Favorite moments
    S/Z winning gold
    P/T amazing LP
    V/M amazing FD
    Yu Na winning Gold
    D/W FD
    Daisuke LP
    Fernandez, Ten, Kozuka, Amodio, Brezina LP
    Faiella/Scali OD and FD
    Yu Na both SP and LP
    Rochette both programs (but gets a + for SP)
    last flight in ladies competition, all nearly perfect!

Disappointements
    CaroK LP
    Joubert (though I'm not a fan it was sad to watch)
    Plushenko losing for only 1.31 (had he lost for more I wouldn't be so upset, for only a point it makes me wonder "if...")
    Cappellini/Lanotte underscored
    Sarah Meier underscored
    Johnny Weir underscored

she takes the audience on her journey of emotions Layfan's Avatar
    i forgot to add to my list: the crowd booing johnny weir's low scores.

Custom Title
    The medal winning performances for all the disciplines - well deserved and exquisite!

The coming out parties for some of my favorites! Most notably Mirai, Kozuka, and Brezina but also Makarova, Kwak (she's soo cute!), Hecken, Cheltzie for ladies and Javi, Borodulin, Ten, Chan for men.

Medalist
    Favourite moments:
    -Shen/Zhao's elation when they won gold.
    -Pang/Tong's faboulous LP. I have never seen them so passionate and joyful!
    -Lysacek's unfailing determination and nerves of steel. Also his graceful behaviour amidst the endless "Cold War" baitings from reporters to say something mean about Plushenko.
    -Takahashi's SP. The perfect men's skating program IMO.
    -Incredible skating performances from the first two couples in the dancing competition. All the commentators I was listening to were raving about a new technical level the sport has reached with the performances by D/W and V/M and I wholeheartedly agree.
    -Shpilband coaching one of his teams to a major win. It seemed that for the last 5 years or so his teams were always "bridesmaid", never bride.
    -In the same vein, Frank Carroll finally has an Olympic champion!
    -Yu-Na's two perfect performances. Mao's gutsiness. Joannie's enourmous courage and inspiring performances amid tragic circumstances.

Disappointing/sad moments:
    -Savchenko/Szolkowy so visibly gutted over their performances; ditto Mao Asada
    -The IMO lacklustre level of the men's LP in general
    -Sigh. DomShabs ending their career a shadow of their former selves, his knee injury turned their last three seasons into a nightmare and it was painful to watch.
    Last edited by katha; 02-27-2010 at 03:31 PM.

- Evan Lysacek winning gold, and his reactions after both his SP and LP
    - Leonova's reactions after her programs, lol
    - Rochette skating the short program well after her mother's death
    - Virtue and Moir winning gold
    - Shen and Zhao winning gold plus Pang and Tong's LP
    - The ladies' final flight, extremely well skated in general, no falls

And disappointments...

- Plushenko saying rude things about his competitors, and not getting the gold (Chan too, for the rude comments, to a lesser extent)
    - Verner, Joubert, and Abbott
    - Nobunari's skate lace breaking
    - the bronze medal winners in the Pairs not having a clean skate - basically, most of the last two groups in the pairs LP bombing
    - Domnina and Shabalin being rewarded for that awful OD, and a FD that isn't much better, and beating Belbin and Agosto
    - Delobel and Schoenfelder not medalling (although they didn't deserve to with those programs, really, and I guess I can't ask for four teams on the podium - V&M, D&W, B&A, them lol)
    - Kostner bombing the LP

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by kiz_4Ever View Post
    Favorite moments
    S/Z winning gold
    P/T amazing LP
    V/M amazing FD
    Yu Na winning Gold
    D/W FD
    Daisuke LP
    Fernandez, Ten, Kozuka, Amodio, Brezina LP
    Faiella/Scali OD and FD
    Yu Na both SP and LP
    Rochette both programs (but gets a + for SP)
    last flight in ladies competition, all nearly perfect!

Disappointements
    CaroK LP
    Joubert (though I'm not a fan it was sad to watch)
    Plushenko losing for only 1.31 (had he lost for more I wouldn't be so upset, for only a point it makes me wonder "if...")
    Cappellini/Lanotte underscored
    Sarah Meier underscored
    Johnny Weir underscored
    96 points for a long program full of doubles? I thought that was generous

On the Ice
    This may sound odd, but one of my favorite moments of the Games was finding out how tough Mirai was after her SP. She looked so resolved at the end of her short program to perform well despite the bloody nose. It shows a lot of promise for her future!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Dibs View Post
    This may sound odd, but one of my favorite moments of the Games was finding out how tough Mirai was after her SP. She looked so resolved at the end of her short program to perform well despite the bloody nose. It shows a lot of promise for her future!
    I know I liked that too. And her consistency, dare I say it, is rivaling Rachael "The Rock" Flatt! At both nationals and the olympics she skated last in the LP when pressure was enormous and both times she delivered with no falls or even step outs! I'm so proud of Mirai and can't wait til next season. If Joannie and Yuna and maybe Miki retire as we expect, I think Mirai will have a good shot at winning medals at the GPF and Worlds!

Yeah, Mirai was incredible. :D

she takes the audience on her journey of emotions Layfan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dibs View Post
    Doesn't sound odd to me! I realized how tough she was at nationals during the free skate. During the Olympics, I kept telling myself that I should not be so nervous for her and I should believe in her toughness. But I was nervous anyway. She showed me.

I know I liked that too. And her consistency, dare I say it, is rivaling Rachael "The Rock" Flatt! At both nationals and the olympics she skated last in the LP when pressure was enormous and both times she delivered with no falls or even step outs! I'm so proud of Mirai and can't wait til next season. If Joannie and Yuna and maybe Miki retire as we expect, I think Mirai will have a good shot at winning medals at the GPF and Worlds!
    I say if she continues this way, she has a good shot even if those three don't retire She already beat Miki at the Olympics. Her performances at least rivaled Joannie's. Yuna, okay maybe not. But that's Yuna.

The best part about Mirai's fourth place finish was that she achieved it even without a splatfest from the others. Mistakes from Miki helped obviously....

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by silverlake22 View Post
    Not really. She didn't go for the big combo despite mentioning it over and over again. She always played it safe. Rachael is the type that never backs down. Mirai, you'd ask, "would she go for it" Rachael, you'd say, "she'll go for it"

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by FlattFan View Post
    Not really. She didn't go for the big combo despite mentioning it over and over again. She always played it safe. Rachael is the type that never backs down. Mirai, you'd ask, "would she go for it" Rachael, you'd say, "she'll go for it"
    In regards to the 3-3 yes, but I more meant about landing the jumps. I don't know if Mirai has ever fallen more than once in a program since becoming a senior level skater. She's tough. Also, not until this year did Rachael always do the 3-3, she didn't do it in either program at Worlds last year and also left it out at CoC.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by FlattFan View Post
    IMO Mirai had a good reason to back down from the 3-3. She didn't have enough speed to pull it off. Even though Rachael did go for the 3-3, her score and Mirai's score were about the same. She didn't even plan a 3-3 in her LP but she did have the beautiful 2axel-3toe.

Both of Mirai's programs were my favorite moments of Vancouver. She just looks like she is having fun.

Quote Originally Posted by DesertRoad View Post
    Favorite Moments
    - The utter failure of Canada's ridiculous "Own the Podium" program.
    We will surpass the record number of medals we won in Torino. We set a record for most golds won by a host nation as well!

We may not "Own the Podum" but we sure as hell own the top of it 12 and counting...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast