Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Favorite Moments of Vancouver 2010?

Custom Title
    To think of how many population Canada has compares to USA, the gold medals and the total medal counts for Canada were amazingly impressive!

On cloud nine and refusing to come down!
    Quote Originally Posted by jennylovskt View Post
    To think of how many population Canada has compares to USA, the gold medals and the total medal counts for Canada were amazingly impressive!
    Agreed. Canada has much to be proud of!

I am a bit confused as to why Canada is not considered the medal leader. Is ranking by total medal count a North American/ European thing? IIRC, NBC did this as well at the Beijing Olympics. In my country, it's always by gold medal count (in which case, Canada's on top!)

Lemme go re-watch some programmes before I post on my fav moments. I have so many!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by i love to skate View Post
    We will surpass the record number of medals we won in Torino. We set a record for most golds won by a host nation as well!

We may not "Own the Podum" but we sure as hell own the top of it 12 and counting...
    I'd also argue that funding hundreds of athletes in an enviroinment where corporate sponsorhsip doesn't run rampant is an achievement in and of itself. The United States deserves a tonne of credit for it's performance in these Games, as do the Germans, because they were remarkable, but that doens't lessen the achievement. Losing the the USA in hockey again might, though.

Quote Originally Posted by ImaginaryPogue View Post
    I'd also argue that funding hundreds of athletes in an enviroinment where corporate sponsorhsip doesn't run rampant is an achievement in and of itself. The United States deserves a tonne of credit for it's performance in these Games, as do the Germans, because they were remarkable, but that doens't lessen the achievement. Losing the the USA in hockey again might, though.
    Yes, it is a shift in our national mentality and I think it is fantastic. Critics sure jumped the gun on calling Own the Podium a "failure". Many of our athletes simply choked and succummed to outside influences and pressure (men's speed skating team and the alpin skiers). Why shouldn't we set out sights high? The British Press also jumped the gun (and exhibited very poor journalism) when they said these were the "worst games in history". Please. I was there and they were outstanding!!!

On the Ice
    Favourite moments:
    1. Plush's face (shown briefly when camera was sweeping over the audience) when Takahashi pulled off a superb SP and scored over 90
    2. V/M's FD
    3. The adorable Mini-Yuna
    4. Mao's ecstatic smiles after her flawless SP (hadn't seen her smile like this for so long.....)
    5. Yuna bursting into tears as soon as she finished her mesmerising LP

Worst moments
    1. Most of men's performances - splat, splat, bomb, bomb, bomb, splat, bomb
    2. Russian ice dancers OD - never thought you could actually be insulting while ice dancing
    3. Mao sobbing in the interview after LP, saying "those 4 minutes were so long" - I could almost feel the pain...

Custom Title
    One of my favorite moments: Min-Jung Kwak's reaction in the kiss and cry after her LP. At first she was making some strange faces, she seems a little different in a very cute way, and then when she saw her scores she was so excited! It's nice to see young skaters be so enthused about their sport and performances!

Eville Eastern Bloc Poster
    Best moments:
    1. Xue & Hongbo winning GOLD!
    2. Dai's SP and LP which shows me that Men's skating is still alive!
    Should've been more than Bronze!
    3. Johnny's LP!!!
    4. Denis Ten's SP; the boy's definitely "got" it!

Worst:
    1. By far ... Lysacek being ... """... Olympic Champion ... """ ... the dullest and ugliest thing who's ever entered the top of an Olympic podium ...
    2. Chan's big mouth ... in opposite to his mediocre performances ...
    3. Brian's crash ...
    4. Johnny being underscored ...
    5. Mao's sad face ...

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by DesertRoad View Post
    - Canadian hockey team getting the beat down from the US, and Canadians despairing after that.
    - The utter failure of Canada's ridiculous "Own the Podium" program.
    - Canada getting beat by the US again in men's hockey final.
    Oh, what happens when snark meets hubris.

Custom Title
    Another favorite moment of this Olympic game - Canada won gold in men's hockey! What a game!

On the Ice
    I noticed she pronounced Yuna Kim the way it is spoken in Korean too.
    Heh. Small nitpick, but I've heard this sentiment expressed elsewhere and I just wanted to point out that she did not pronounce Yuna's name correctly. She said it like, "Yow-na", with a diphthong at the end of the first syllable. Yuna's name, in Korean, should be pronounced more like "Yunn-ah", (short u sound, of course) if that makes sense. No diphthong. It might seem like a small thing but tbh it grated on my nerves every time I heard the announcer pronounce her name like that. Not that the American media pronounces it any more correctly...

(Back to your regularly scheduled thread...)

Custom Title
    Sale and Pelletier's expression after Trankov and Mukhortova's freeskate.

My favorite moments

1. Yuna's breathtaking SP and LP, and her beautiful teers what was rolling down her face after her gorgeous LP. (i won't be able to forget that night forever.)
    2. Rochaett's brave performance. (actually, she was deserved silver medal)
    3. Brian Orser finally getting his gold?
    4. Scott and Tessa's program was very romantic.
    5. Stephan Lambiel's performance!

Thumbs up i totally agree.

Quote Originally Posted by museksk8r View Post
    I didn't want to say this due to the risk of being lynched, but since you bit the bullet first , I totally agree! I definitely think 7 ratified triples Rochette should have placed ahead of 4 ratified triples Asada in the LP, regardless of 2 of them being 3Axels. Asada's mistakes were more severe than Rochette's . . . Mao even singled a planned triple toe! Joannie skated with more speed and emotion than Mao too. JR should have silver, IMO!

This is the text what I want to say.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4