Favorite Moments of Vancouver 2010? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Favorite Moments of Vancouver 2010?

Layfan

Record Breaker
This may sound odd, but one of my favorite moments of the Games was finding out how tough Mirai was after her SP. She looked so resolved at the end of her short program to perform well despite the bloody nose. It shows a lot of promise for her future!

Doesn't sound odd to me! I realized how tough she was at nationals during the free skate. During the Olympics, I kept telling myself that I should not be so nervous for her and I should believe in her toughness. But I was nervous anyway. She showed me.

I know I liked that too. And her consistency, dare I say it, is rivaling Rachael "The Rock" Flatt! At both nationals and the olympics she skated last in the LP when pressure was enormous and both times she delivered with no falls or even step outs! I'm so proud of Mirai and can't wait til next season. If Joannie and Yuna and maybe Miki retire as we expect, I think Mirai will have a good shot at winning medals at the GPF and Worlds!

I say if she continues this way, she has a good shot even if those three don't retire :agree: She already beat Miki at the Olympics. Her performances at least rivaled Joannie's. Yuna, okay maybe not. But that's Yuna.

The best part about Mirai's fourth place finish was that she achieved it even without a splatfest from the others. Mistakes from Miki helped obviously....

FlattFan

Match Penalty
I know I liked that too. And her consistency, dare I say it, is rivaling Rachael "The Rock" Flatt! At both nationals and the olympics she skated last in the LP when pressure was enormous and both times she delivered with no falls or even step outs! I'm so proud of Mirai and can't wait til next season. If Joannie and Yuna and maybe Miki retire as we expect, I think Mirai will have a good shot at winning medals at the GPF and Worlds!

Not really. She didn't go for the big combo despite mentioning it over and over again. She always played it safe. Rachael is the type that never backs down. Mirai, you'd ask, "would she go for it" Rachael, you'd say, "she'll go for it"

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Not really. She didn't go for the big combo despite mentioning it over and over again. She always played it safe. Rachael is the type that never backs down. Mirai, you'd ask, "would she go for it" Rachael, you'd say, "she'll go for it"

In regards to the 3-3 yes, but I more meant about landing the jumps. I don't know if Mirai has ever fallen more than once in a program since becoming a senior level skater. She's tough. Also, not until this year did Rachael always do the 3-3, she didn't do it in either program at Worlds last year and also left it out at CoC.

FTnoona

Final Flight

IMO Mirai had a good reason to back down from the 3-3. She didn't have enough speed to pull it off. Even though Rachael did go for the 3-3, her score and Mirai's score were about the same. She didn't even plan a 3-3 in her LP but she did have the beautiful 2axel-3toe.

Both of Mirai's programs were my favorite moments of Vancouver. She just looks like she is having fun.

i love to skate

Medalist
Favorite Moments
- The utter failure of Canada's ridiculous "Own the Podium" program.

We will surpass the record number of medals we won in Torino. We set a record for most golds won by a host nation as well!

We may not "Own the Podum" but we sure as hell own the top of it :biggrin: 12 and counting...

jennylovskt

Medalist
To think of how many population Canada has compares to USA, the gold medals and the total medal counts for Canada were amazingly impressive!:rock::rock::rock:

mishieru07

On the Ice
To think of how many population Canada has compares to USA, the gold medals and the total medal counts for Canada were amazingly impressive!:rock::rock::rock:

Agreed. Canada has much to be proud of! :thumbsup:

I am a bit confused as to why Canada is not considered the medal leader. Is ranking by total medal count a North American/ European thing? IIRC, NBC did this as well at the Beijing Olympics. In my country, it's always by gold medal count (in which case, Canada's on top!)

Lemme go re-watch some programmes before I post on my fav moments. I have so many! :laugh:

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
We will surpass the record number of medals we won in Torino. We set a record for most golds won by a host nation as well!

We may not "Own the Podum" but we sure as hell own the top of it :biggrin: 12 and counting...

I'd also argue that funding hundreds of athletes in an enviroinment where corporate sponsorhsip doesn't run rampant is an achievement in and of itself. The United States deserves a tonne of credit for it's performance in these Games, as do the Germans, because they were remarkable, but that doens't lessen the achievement. Losing the the USA in hockey again might, though.

i love to skate

Medalist
I'd also argue that funding hundreds of athletes in an enviroinment where corporate sponsorhsip doesn't run rampant is an achievement in and of itself. The United States deserves a tonne of credit for it's performance in these Games, as do the Germans, because they were remarkable, but that doens't lessen the achievement. Losing the the USA in hockey again might, though.

Yes, it is a shift in our national mentality and I think it is fantastic. Critics sure jumped the gun on calling Own the Podium a "failure". Many of our athletes simply choked and succummed to outside influences and pressure (men's speed skating team and the alpin skiers). Why shouldn't we set out sights high? The British Press also jumped the gun (and exhibited very poor journalism) when they said these were the "worst games in history". Please. I was there and they were outstanding!!!

Puppylove

Rinkside
Favourite moments:
1. Plush's face (shown briefly when camera was sweeping over the audience) when Takahashi pulled off a superb SP and scored over 90
2. V/M's FD
3. The adorable Mini-Yuna
4. Mao's ecstatic smiles after her flawless SP (hadn't seen her smile like this for so long.....)
5. Yuna bursting into tears as soon as she finished her mesmerising LP

Worst moments
1. Most of men's performances - splat, splat, bomb, bomb, bomb, splat, bomb
2. Russian ice dancers OD - never thought you could actually be insulting while ice dancing
3. Mao sobbing in the interview after LP, saying "those 4 minutes were so long" - I could almost feel the pain...

silverlake22

Record Breaker
One of my favorite moments: Min-Jung Kwak's reaction in the kiss and cry after her LP. At first she was making some strange faces, she seems a little different in a very cute way, and then when she saw her scores she was so excited! It's nice to see young skaters be so enthused about their sport and performances!

Germanice

On the Ice
Best moments:
1. Xue & Hongbo winning GOLD! :agree:
2. Dai's SP and LP which shows me that Men's skating is still alive! :thumbsup:
Should've been more than Bronze!
3. Johnny's LP!!!
4. Denis Ten's SP; the boy's definitely "got" it!

Worst:
1. By far ... Lysacek being ... """... Olympic Champion ... """ ... the dullest and ugliest thing who's ever entered the top of an Olympic podium ... :scowl:
2. Chan's big mouth ... in opposite to his mediocre performances ...
3. Brian's crash ... :cry:
4. Johnny being underscored ...
5. Mao's sad face ... :eek:hwell:

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
- Canadian hockey team getting the beat down from the US, and Canadians despairing after that.
- The utter failure of Canada's ridiculous "Own the Podium" program.
- Canada getting beat by the US again in men's hockey final.

Oh, what happens when snark meets hubris.

sporkwhatspork

Rinkside
I noticed she pronounced Yuna Kim the way it is spoken in Korean too.
Heh. Small nitpick, but I've heard this sentiment expressed elsewhere and I just wanted to point out that she did not pronounce Yuna's name correctly. She said it like, "Yow-na", with a diphthong at the end of the first syllable. Yuna's name, in Korean, should be pronounced more like "Yunn-ah", (short u sound, of course) if that makes sense. No diphthong. It might seem like a small thing but tbh it grated on my nerves every time I heard the announcer pronounce her name like that. Not that the American media pronounces it any more correctly...

(Back to your regularly scheduled thread...)

Jiyu

Spectator
My favorite moments

1. Yuna's breathtaking SP and LP, and her beautiful teers what was rolling down her face after her gorgeous LP. (i won't be able to forget that night forever.)
2. Rochaett's brave performance. (actually, she was deserved silver medal)
3. Brian Orser finally getting his gold? :)
4. Scott and Tessa's program was very romantic.
5. Stephan Lambiel's performance!

Jiyu

Spectator
i totally agree.

I didn't want to say this due to the risk of being lynched, but since you bit the bullet first ;), I totally agree! I definitely think 7 ratified triples Rochette should have placed ahead of 4 ratified triples Asada in the LP, regardless of 2 of them being 3Axels. Asada's mistakes were more severe than Rochette's . . . Mao even singled a planned triple toe! Joannie skated with more speed and emotion than Mao too. JR should have silver, IMO!

This is the text what I want to say.
:)