Favorite Moments of Vancouver 2010? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Favorite Moments of Vancouver 2010?

aurora100

Final Flight
Joannie - everything about her grace, strength and courage under pressure and grief. She is the epitome of a role model for how she handled herself and for not making anything about her and her grief - trying to leave her personal issues for her private time and the competitor on the ice. She truly was outstanding in all possible ways.

V/M - that FD will go down as one of the greats
Johnny Weir - he has been under fire for his flamboyance in Australia and Canada but has been eloquent, stating his opinion without trashing anyone else, and has even now become a kind of correspondent on Aussie TV for the games. True grace under such disgusting circumstances
Shen/Zhao - their reactions to winning their gold. They skated like such champions and to see them reach their ultimate goal, especially with their mature ages for the field, is outstanding
Evan - first of all, having 2 outstanding skates. And then for acting like a complete gentleman when dealing with bitterness. Well done Mr. Snakey Feathers
Kim Yu-Na - Outstanding skates under pressure - finally putting 2 clean programs back to back and earning her gold medal with class and almost perfection.

Very well put. Especially about Joanne.

aurora100

Final Flight
Favorite Moments
- Hearing P.J. Kwong announce everybody's names with perfect diction. It's a small pleasure, but one nonetheless and repeated quite often.

I noticed this too. Thank you for pointing that out. She is the best. Apparently she speaks five languages or something ridiculous like that and she knows skating and skaters inside and out. I noticed she pronounced Yuna Kim the way it is spoken in Korean too.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Joannie - nuf said
Evan's win - I know controversial - but just teh whole drama of the moment. who'da thunk it? his joy was infectious!
shen and zhao's return to olympic ice

my final score for the USFSA Fantasy game lol

mirage

Rinkside
Best Moments:
Evan's skates, seeing him on top of the podium, and his amazing sportsmanship when having to deal with so much crap. He did two amazing performances, won an Olympic Gold and was bullied by Plushenko and his allies. I would have been a lot more angry than he appeared to be.
The American women placing high (if this continues, 3 spots in 2014 :) )
Shen and Zhao finally getting gold
Virtue and Moir's FD
Rochette competing despite everything

Worst moments:
Kim being overscored
Plushenko's sportsmanship
Weir being underscored

Mao being overscored.
I think Joannie should have won silver.

bethissoawesome

On the Ice
Best moments:
The Japanese men really going for it and showing their love of the sport
Joannie, rising to the moment and being a true athlete and gracious competitor
Yu-Na finally putting down both a clean SP and LP to not just win the OGM, but deserve it
Mao throwing out a spectacular SP, shutting up everyone who counted her out, and landing all of her 3A's
S/Z finally getting their gold

Worst moments:
Oda's lace breaking... what horrible timing :-/
The quad hype
The score inflation (it makes other great programs from the past look like they must have been **** from the numbers)
Dai's fall on the quad
Johnny Weir being underscored

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Best moments :

Joannie winning the bronze with grace and dignity
Taka's SP & LP - love him!
Yuna & Brian Orser in the K&C (I adore Brian O.)
Mao's strong SP and LP (I want her to feel proud for winning the silver medal)
Shen & Zhao winning gold (very happy with the entire pairs podium - ecstatic that Pang & Tong skated superbly)
Evan winning gold
Johnny skating well and being happy about it
Virtue & Moir, Davis & White on the podium (Tanith & Ben should have been with them too)
So proud of Amanda & Mark, Caydee & Jeremy, Samuelson & Bates, the Kerrs, Delobel & Schoenfelder, Faiiella & Scali, Mirai, and Rachel
Very impressed with Michal Brezina
Seeing Terry Gannon on Universal Sports Figure skating/Review/Preview show (I know it wasn't as funny as Olympic Ice, but I still enjoyed it with the variety of guest skaters). Always a pleasure to see "Uncle" Dickie!

Disappointments:

Plushy's arrogance and over emphasis on the quads (and front loaded programs, wonky landings) - I used to respect him immensely (and enjoyed his performances ever since 1997/1998 season), but I've lost all respect for him at this point.
Tanith & Ben should have been on the podium
Jeremy Abbott's SP. Hope he comes back strongly at Worlds
Johnny being underscored
Tamar Katz not given the chance to skate in the Olympics (I hope she gets her chance at Worlds)
NBC's FS coverage - not showing Sarah Maier (I know she had her problems this season), Akiko Suzuki, Alena Leonova, Laura Lepisto, etc.

Last edited:

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Mao being overscored.
I think Joannie should have won silver.

I didn't want to say this due to the risk of being lynched, but since you bit the bullet first ;), I totally agree! I definitely think 7 ratified triples Rochette should have placed ahead of 4 ratified triples Asada in the LP, regardless of 2 of them being 3Axels. Asada's mistakes were more severe than Rochette's . . . Mao even singled a planned triple toe! Joannie skated with more speed and emotion than Mao too. JR should have silver, IMO!

Last edited:

csunny7

Rinkside
I didn't want to say this due to the risk of being lynched, but since you bit the bullet first ;), I totally agree! I definitely think 7 ratified triples Rochette should have placed ahead of 4 ratified triples Asada in the LP, regardless of 2 of them being 3Axels. Asada's mistakes were more severe than Rochette's . . . Mao even singled a planned triple toe! Joannie skated with more speed and emotion than Mao too. JR should have silver, IMO!
I agree. Mao's two 3Axels in LP are actually underrotated, though one in SP is all right. JR's perfromance is better than Mao and deserves Silver, though JR said the result wasn't matter.

kiz_4Ever

On the Ice
Favorite moments
S/Z winning gold
P/T amazing LP
V/M amazing FD
Yu Na winning Gold
D/W FD
Daisuke LP
Fernandez, Ten, Kozuka, Amodio, Brezina LP
Faiella/Scali OD and FD
Yu Na both SP and LP
Rochette both programs (but gets a + for SP)
last flight in ladies competition, all nearly perfect!

Disappointements
CaroK LP
Joubert (though I'm not a fan it was sad to watch)
Plushenko losing for only 1.31 (had he lost for more I wouldn't be so upset, for only a point it makes me wonder "if...")
Cappellini/Lanotte underscored
Sarah Meier underscored
Johnny Weir underscored

silverlake22

Record Breaker
The medal winning performances for all the disciplines - well deserved and exquisite!

The coming out parties for some of my favorites! Most notably Mirai, Kozuka, and Brezina but also Makarova, Kwak (she's soo cute!), Hecken, Cheltzie for ladies and Javi, Borodulin, Ten, Chan for men.

katha

On the Ice
Favourite moments:
-Shen/Zhao's elation when they won gold.
-Pang/Tong's faboulous LP. I have never seen them so passionate and joyful!
-Lysacek's unfailing determination and nerves of steel. Also his graceful behaviour amidst the endless "Cold War" baitings from reporters to say something mean about Plushenko.
-Takahashi's SP. The perfect men's skating program IMO.
-Incredible skating performances from the first two couples in the dancing competition. All the commentators I was listening to were raving about a new technical level the sport has reached with the performances by D/W and V/M and I wholeheartedly agree.
-Shpilband coaching one of his teams to a major win. It seemed that for the last 5 years or so his teams were always "bridesmaid", never bride.
-In the same vein, Frank Carroll finally has an Olympic champion!
-Yu-Na's two perfect performances. Mao's gutsiness. Joannie's enourmous courage and inspiring performances amid tragic circumstances.

Disappointing/sad moments:
-Savchenko/Szolkowy so visibly gutted over their performances; ditto Mao Asada
-The IMO lacklustre level of the men's LP in general
-Sigh. DomShabs ending their career a shadow of their former selves, his knee injury turned their last three seasons into a nightmare and it was painful to watch.

Last edited:

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
- Evan Lysacek winning gold, and his reactions after both his SP and LP
- Leonova's reactions after her programs, lol
- Rochette skating the short program well after her mother's death
- Virtue and Moir winning gold
- Shen and Zhao winning gold plus Pang and Tong's LP
- The ladies' final flight, extremely well skated in general, no falls

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
And disappointments...

- Plushenko saying rude things about his competitors, and not getting the gold (Chan too, for the rude comments, to a lesser extent)
- Verner, Joubert, and Abbott
- Nobunari's skate lace breaking
- the bronze medal winners in the Pairs not having a clean skate - basically, most of the last two groups in the pairs LP bombing
- Domnina and Shabalin being rewarded for that awful OD, and a FD that isn't much better, and beating Belbin and Agosto
- Delobel and Schoenfelder not medalling (although they didn't deserve to with those programs, really, and I guess I can't ask for four teams on the podium - V&M, D&W, B&A, them lol)
- Kostner bombing the LP

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Favorite moments
S/Z winning gold
P/T amazing LP
V/M amazing FD
Yu Na winning Gold
D/W FD
Daisuke LP
Fernandez, Ten, Kozuka, Amodio, Brezina LP
Faiella/Scali OD and FD
Yu Na both SP and LP
Rochette both programs (but gets a + for SP)
last flight in ladies competition, all nearly perfect!

Disappointements
CaroK LP
Joubert (though I'm not a fan it was sad to watch)
Plushenko losing for only 1.31 (had he lost for more I wouldn't be so upset, for only a point it makes me wonder "if...")
Cappellini/Lanotte underscored
Sarah Meier underscored
Johnny Weir underscored

96 points for a long program full of doubles? I thought that was generous

Dibs

Rinkside
This may sound odd, but one of my favorite moments of the Games was finding out how tough Mirai was after her SP. She looked so resolved at the end of her short program to perform well despite the bloody nose. It shows a lot of promise for her future!

silverlake22

Record Breaker
This may sound odd, but one of my favorite moments of the Games was finding out how tough Mirai was after her SP. She looked so resolved at the end of her short program to perform well despite the bloody nose. It shows a lot of promise for her future!

I know I liked that too. And her consistency, dare I say it, is rivaling Rachael "The Rock" Flatt! At both nationals and the olympics she skated last in the LP when pressure was enormous and both times she delivered with no falls or even step outs! I'm so proud of Mirai and can't wait til next season. If Joannie and Yuna and maybe Miki retire as we expect, I think Mirai will have a good shot at winning medals at the GPF and Worlds!