S'more Fluff: Which 6 do you see in the GP Finals and Who Wins? | Golden Skate

S'more Fluff: Which 6 do you see in the GP Finals and Who Wins?

This is an apology for putting down the Nats Predics. So who are your picks for the GP Final and whom do you think will be the winner?

Ladies:

Sasha Cohen - Already in the Finals, I believe.
Elena Liashenko - Already half way there.
Irina Slutskaya - Will make a fabulous comeback
Jenny Kirk - Continuing her best season to date
Carolina Costner - Landing all those jumps and racking up points
Bebe Liang - The breakthough kid

If any of the above fail to make the Finals; I put Yukina Ota in place of.

THE WINNER; Irina Slutskaya - Determination here.

Men

Evgeni Plushenko - Who can say no?
Michael Weiss - He's half way there
Brian Joubert - He'll rack up enough points
Cheng Li - He'll be there too.
Jeffrey Buttle - Hope he keeps consistency
Stephane Lambiel - If he is well enough

If any of the above fail to make the Finals: I put Timothy Goebel in place of. I believe he has only one score a la Kwan.

THE WINNER:: Brian Joubert - No mistakes and Evgeni has trouble with knee.

Joe

berthes ghost

Final Flight
You've made two bobos: SC and COC were non-scoring events for Cohen and Liashenko.

Cohen will probably medal at Lalique, and even probably win, so she's as good as in IMO.

Liashenko has a much tougher road, having to medal at COR and NHK, both with strong home court girls. She might not make it IMO.

Costner is DOA IMO, having scored zero at SA, she would have to win COR to hang on the cusp and I don't see it happening.

Liang is a newbe, and I also don't see her making it. Sorry Bebe.

A GPF without Irina is like a sandwich without bread. She's almost certain to make it IMO.

Kirk and Onda are half way there, Yoshie having a very good chance to medal again on home court.

Funie is also in the mix and could very well win or medal at home, making the cut.

Arakowa has beeen doing well and will probalby make the cut.

A-P with only 5 points and having to face the Russians half way round the world, seem like a long shot to me.

So I'm gonna say

Japan FS
Japan YO
Japan SA
Russia IS
USA SC
USA JK or URK EL

Thanks BC - I'm a bit dense on which comps are non scoring. I presume your YO, is Yoshie and not Yukina. BTW, who is your winner?

(3 Japanese ladies against my 3 USA ladies. I'll betcha a cookie.)

Joe

berthes ghost

Final Flight
"Evgeni Plushenko - Who can say no?"

ITA

"Michael Weiss - He's half way there"

Has a good shot of podium at COR and can prevent others from racking up points at Lalique

"Brian Joubert - He'll rack up enough points"

Has a good shot at podium in both Lalique and NHK, plus already blocked points.

"Cheng Li - He'll be there too."

Sorry, with only 8 points scored he's DOA. Plus he's got a job of it fending off Plushy, Abt, Shubin and Weiss at COR. He's history IMO. I'm gonna go out on a limb with Abt. COR is home court and he's got a good shot at NHK podium.

"Jeffrey Buttle - Hope he keeps consistency"

He won't, but with 9 point, all he has to do is score 4 (5th place) to keep Timmy out. It's touch and go with this one.

"Stephane Lambiel - If he is well enough"

No chance in hell, poor guy. He's only got one event and he's not gonna win at COR against Plushy, Abt and Shubin with Weiss and Li in the mix. He's DOA.

I'm gonna pick Shubin as a wild card, but Honda had made the podium twice already, plus home court advantage left. Should be able to make bronze no problem.

So:

Russia (EP)
Russia (AA)
USA (MW)
Japan (TH)
France (BJ)
Russia (AS) *

*Alternates: USA (TG)/Canada (JB)

I pick Plushy to win, I'm conservative.

For ladies, I'm gonna stick with Sasha to win.

lavender

Record Breaker
I think Sasha has this one in the bag with her presentation. Irina still needs time. If she comes out gunning after being so sick it would be a miracle. It would be nice but I won't expect to much.

I say Sasha for the ladies and Plushenko for the guys.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Dance
  • [Color=“Crimson”]
  • Navka & Kostomarov with 24 or 21 pts[/color]
  • Denkova & Staviyski with 21 or 18 pts
  • Grushina & Goncharov with 21 or 18 pts
  • Belbin & Agoston with 21 or 24 pts
  • Either Delobel & Schoenfelder or Dubreuil & Lauzon with 14 pts (whoever get 3d place in France) with 14 pts.
  • De&Sc or D&L (whoever will get 4th place in France) will be tied point-wise with Chait & Sakhnovsky with 12 pts. Each will have the top finishing place of 3d, so it will come down to who has a bigger actual point total.
  • 1st Alternate De&Sc, D&L, or C&S
Paris
  • Shen & Zhao with 21 pts (already there)
    [Color=“Crimson”]
  • Totmianina & Marinin with 24 pts[/color]
  • Pang & Tong with 18 pts
  • Petrova & Tikhonov with 21 pts
  • Zhang & Zhang with 16 pts
  • Zagorska & Siudek with 16 pts
Men
  • [Color=“Crimson”]
  • Plushenko with 24 pts[/color]
  • Weiss with 18 or 21 pts
  • Buttle with 14 - 18 pts
  • Honda with 12 - 16 pts
  • Joubert with 12 - 18 pts
  • Abt with 14 – 18 pts
Ladies
  • [Color=“Crimson”]
  • Cohen with 24 pts[/color]
  • Slutskaya with 24 pts
  • Arakawa with 18 pts
  • Kirk with 14-18 pts
  • Onda with 14-18 pts
  • Suguri with 12-16 pts
  • First Alternate, or possibly in the GPF McDonough with 14 pts.

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
Wow, Ptichka, except for dance, we're right in synch :)

I think Delobel/Schoenfelder and Dubreiul/Lauzon will be in, and Chait/Sakhnovski will be the alternative.

Last edited:

euterpe

Medalist
I'd want to see Slutskaya skate before conceding 24 points to her. Last year, she was also recovering from an illness, and she just barely made the final. She finished 3rd at Cup of Russia and 2nd at NHK, in a squeaker. This year, Sokolova, Volchkova and Basova are already out of the running for the final, and Nelidina has one event. It's all on Irina's shoulders. That could motivate her to do her best, but her illness was very serious and cut into her practice time.

I think we will definitely see Arakawa, Cohen and Onda at the final. If Kirk can hold it together in her final event, perhaps she will be there, too. Liashenko got 12 points for her non-scoring event, but her total score was underwhelming. Liashenko, Suguri and Sebestyen are possibles, and McDonough and Ota are marginally possible.

coppelia

Spectator
Don't forget Winkler & Lohse in dance. If they get third at cup of russia and NHK, they're in. Even with a 4th and 3rd they'll be tied with D&L, D&S, or C&S with 12 points.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Well, Winkler & Lohse did lose to Dubreuil & Lauzon at Bofrost, and the reports were not too great about them. I like W&L a lot; I think they bring lightness to a field where most skaters take themselves a bit too seriously. I am just not sure that Kati has fully recovered from her injuries. We shall wait and see...

coppelia

Spectator
While there was a split panel on both the OD and FD at bofrost, W&L did have a fall in both portions. And although I haven't seen their dances, I'm willing to gather D&L have stronger programs this season. I just think the judges are confused as the rest of us of what to make of a world with two systems working at the same time.

At Cup of Russia, if W&L are battling for a medal, I assume it will be against C&S. Same at NHK. If they manage to beat them both weeks (and considering what we've seen of C&S's marks this season so far, this could easily happen) they'll be in the series final with two 3rd places. If not, well, this post is pointless. :laugh: I do think, just like last year, there will be a couple ties that have to be broken to decide who makes it to the final.

I think that Sasha Cohen and Evgeny Plushenko have no rivals in this series. They can spot their oponents a fall, a double-foot and a traveling spin, and still win.

I'll say Navka and Kostomarov in dance and Shen and Zhou in pairs.

Mathman

Lavender and Mathman - Ok with your winning picks but whom do you think they will winover? 5 more in each category.

Joe

lavender

Record Breaker
Gp
I think it’s going to be…

Sasha
Arakawa
Onda
Kirk (if she stays consistent and her short will put her in good standing with the points)
Suguri (never does well in the gp final)
Slutskaya (not should how to predict because she doesn’t skate well right after a illness)

Personally I think Irina should sit this one out.

Plushenko if he goes. I don’t think he should risk it.
Weiss (Can’t believe it but I think he’s more consistent than Takeshi this season)
Joubert
Honda
Buttle (lets hope)
Abt (Maybe but I haven’t seen him skate)

rain

Record Breaker
GP final

Dance

* Navka & Kostomarov
* Denkova & Staviyski
* Grushina & Goncharov
* Belbin & Agosto
* Delobel & Schoenfelder
* Dubreuil & Lauzon

Paris

* Shen & Zhao
* Totmianina & Marinin
* Pang & Tong
* Petrova & Tikhonov
* Zhang & Zhang
* Zagorska & Siudek

Men

* Plushenko
* Weiss
* Buttle
* Honda
* Joubert
*Geobel

Ladies

* Cohen
* Arakawa
* Kirk
* Onda
* Suguri

Ximena

Final Flight
I don't follow the other three events that close to know who has points right not, so just the men

Plushenko
Weiss
Honda
Buttle
Joubert
Abt

Abt is the one that you never know.... I'm hoping he will make it this year, but Shubin can be a surprise, afterall he is the Junior GP and World Champion.

Winner of the GPF: Plushenko