Wow, Mirai! | Golden Skate

Wow, Mirai!

Way to go, little one! You deserve your own thread that doesn't compare you to anyone else! :rock: :love: :clap:

Watching her get ready to go out on the ice after Yu Na, Mao and Joannie, she looked so petrified - it looked like 2009 all over again. And then... WOW. What a fierce little competitor she has become under Frank Carroll.

America has found its new sweetheart.

fairly4

Medalist
i also think because frank has his gold medal--now frank is appears to be relaxed at competitions-which in turns allows mirai to be more relaxed when she skates -so mirais uniqueness and good skating shines through.
to me when michelle skated-frank appeared more nervous which michelle made the appearance of michelle skating more nervous. she had to win gold medal-now that he has it -he doesn't need to appear nervous. which helps calms down mirai- (only my thought)

millie

Medalist
Way to go, little one! You deserve your own thread that doesn't compare you to anyone else! :rock: :love: :clap:

Watching her get ready to go out on the ice after Yu Na, Mao and Joannie, she looked so petrified - it looked like 2009 all over again. And then... WOW. What a fierce little competitor she has become under Frank Carroll.

America has found its new sweetheart.

Finally a post that I can agree with 100%. She is adorable and seems so down to earth and not this LOOK- AT-ME mentality that I am better than everyone else. She is not the next Kwan but she is going to be best Mirai that she can be. Way to go and am so looking forward to your next skate. Congratulations.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
She just has that quality that makes everybody root for her. Not only is she a beautiful skater with talent "ozzing out of her ears" as Frank would say but she has proved herself a hard worker. Yet she maintains this delightful innocent persona which is 100% real.. she is always hanging out with thr lower level kids at her rink, so un-affected, so down to earth in a way that Tara and Sasha never were.

janetfan

Match Penalty
Did anyone notice when Carroll was talking to Mirai before her skate how grim she looked? The last thing Carrol said was "now smile" and Mirai instantly flashed her adorable 1000 megawat smile right before she skated away.

What a character she is - and what a competitor! :rock:

ae9177

On the Ice
Mirai totally WOWed me last night!!! 4th for the 1st Olympics is a great achievement. She skated to Carmen and made a comeback to #4. She's on the right track to follow the footstep of Evan!!! Nice trend going towards 2014!

dashriprock

Spectator
I know this is not a thread to compare her to others - but as I watched her I was excited to watch figuring skating again - like the days of Michelle, Tara and Sasha. The artistry and athleticism was breath taking

Layfan

Record Breaker
i also think because frank has his gold medal--now frank is appears to be relaxed at competitions-which in turns allows mirai to be more relaxed when she skates -so mirais uniqueness and good skating shines through.
to me when michelle skated-frank appeared more nervous which michelle made the appearance of michelle skating more nervous. she had to win gold medal-now that he has it -he doesn't need to appear nervous. which helps calms down mirai- (only my thought)

I'm sure Frank was more fun to be around in the wake of Evan's gold.;)

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Mirai's awesome and she has it all: the speed, the athleticism, the artistry, the flexibility, the drive, the competitive spirit, and her own unique personality! Part of why I like Mirai so much is that she's not trying to be like anyone else, she's just Mirai and that's working for her. She is adorable and I was so proud of her last night - she has really become quite the consistent performer and competitor! I know it took her a lot of hard work to get there but honestly she has made SO much progress in the past year. She also really seems to like skating and in her interviews she's so sweet and honest. I knew this girl was a star when I first saw her as an itty bity 13 year old that won Jr nationals, and now she's come so far, 4th at her 1st olympics WOW!

Way to go Mirai! :love:

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Thanks for starting this thread. I was so impressed with Mirai last night as I was watching her skate at US Nationals. She skated that program beautifully with passion, athleticism and the mental ability to go out and skate that program knowing what the other ladies did before her tells me that she is a fierce competitor. If she keeps this up she will become a Champion skater. Everything about her skating is extraordinary. Her performance last night was definitely a highlight for me.

stage

Spectator
Hi, a Chris skate fan here, who has generally been a lurker at this wonderful skating forum site for 8 1/2 years, except for one reply, and that one I do not even remember! I just have to say that I am really proud of Mirai Nagasu for making such a big comeback this year - from 5th place at Nationals in 2009 to 4th place in the 2010 Olympics! She is very talented and will be even better in the future. I would have liked Mirai in 3rd, but the beautiful, courageous Joannie Rochette did skate an exquisite, well done program for her late mother, so I do understand that Joannie deserved to be in third. Hopefully, Mirai's mother will fully recover from the thyroid cancer that she has now.

Mirai is really cute, and is an interesting interviewee. I think that she would make a great addition to Stars On Ice. And Ryan Bradley, too.

krln99

Rinkside
I'm so glad she recaptured her skating. She was on top of the world in 08, had a disastrous 09, and was definitely "on the bubble" for even making the Olympic team (and even when she did, many people were doubting if she was the right choice). I'm glad her critics are eating it now. She finished 4th in the Olympics and likely would have been on the podium in any other year had their not been two other-worldly skaters. I'm sure she has a lot more confidence now. BTW, besides the "big two" (should they return), who do you see as Mirai's big competition in 2014?

And can we please start pronouncing her name correctly? The first syllable is pronounced as "me"!!

janetfan

Match Penalty
I was just wondering - was Mirai's score total at Natls about the same as it was at the Olympics?
And was Rachael's score at Natls way higher than her score at the Olympics?

Seems one skater got the big "Natls" scoring inflation boost and the other did not.
I think Carroll was right and Mirai was judged very harshly at Natls. US skating did as much as they could to boost Sasha and Ashley as they did not want Mirai on the Olympic team.

I can imagine Carroll will be letting them know about that - especially members of the "distinguished" tech panel. :scowl:

They overlooked Sasha and Ashley for edge calls and other mistakes and were then forced to send Mirai to the Olympics with the tainted rep of the "ur skater."

Scott mentioned it and of course Carroll was aware of it too. Maybe in the long run it will be good for Mirai but in the meantime, thanks to the US tech panel Mirai will have that reputation for quite a while.

Way to go bozos!

Last edited:

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
I was just wondering - was Mirai's score total at Natls about the same as it was at the Olympics?
And was Rachael's score at Natls way higher than her score at the Olympics?

Seems one skater got the big "Natls" scoring inflation boost and the other did not.
I think Carroll was right and Mirai was judged very harshly at Natls. US skating did as much as they could to boost Sasha and Ashley as they did not want Mirai on the Olympic team.

I can imagine Carroll will be letting them know about that - especially members of the "distinguished" tech panel. :scowl:

They overlooked Sasha and Ashley for edge calls and other mistakes and were then forced to send Mirai to the Olympics with the tainted rep of the "ur skater."

Scott mentioned it and of course Carroll was aware of it too. Maybe in the long run it will be good for Mirai but in the meantime, thanks to the US tech panel Mirai will have that reputation for quite a while.

Way to go bozos!

LOL!!! So true! And something else crossed my mind last night: didn't she prove that skaters with a habit of URs can fix them if they choose to work on it?

Good job ME-rai! (my namesake!) Looking forward to worlds!

janetfan

Match Penalty
LOL!!! So true! And something else crossed my mind last night: didn't she prove that skaters with a habit of URs can fix them if they choose to work on it?

Good job ME-rai! (my namesake!) Looking forward to worlds!

Speaking of ME-rai - Button was just on and said she deserved a medal for her skating last night.
He also called her "spiffy" :)

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
Speaking of ME-rai - Button was just on and said she deserved a medal for her skating last night.
He also called her "spiffy" :)

She is "spiffy" - that's the perfect word for her and even better: she's original. Other than being compared to Sasha (which I disagree with...) in a previous thread - she's dodged that bullet - and good for her. Excited to see what she does next!

That, or (and?) that judges will stop obsessing on them if there's a popular outcry. :thumbsup:

But seriously, the ladies put together a rousing collective defense of the COP last night. So much good skating in one competition - it was stunning. Obviously the new system has gotten a lot right. Mea culpa (although I'm not ready to say maxima yet). :)

Last edited:

Wrlmy

Medalist
More than anything, I'm thrilled she will finally receive pcs marks she deserves! She had back-to-back nearly clean programs here, which rarely happened in her career. That was incredible. But she should continue to work on those URs. Some of the triples seemed scary on replay, and that had me on the edge of my seat until her score came out.

janetfan

Match Penalty
More than anything, I'm thrilled she will finally receive pcs marks she deserves! She had back-to-back nearly clean programs here, which rarely happened in her career. That was incredible. But she should continue to work on those URs. Some of the triples seemed scary on replay, and that had me on the edge of my seat until her score came out.

As NBC was showing replay last night many of the jumps they showed were borderline. Yuna and Mao both had jumps that looked borderline. So did Miki and Rachael.

I am not saying any jumps were urs just that many were borderline. Personally I like the idea that if a jump is borderline then leave it alone. I think ISU made a decision to lighten up and let the skaters win or lose this event with what was more readily seen with the eye in r/t as opposed to letting the tech callers take over the competition.

I think it is better that way although others feels differently.