Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Associated Press: South Korea reacts to Yu Na Kim's win

Hybrid View

Go marry the quad if you love it so much DesertRoad's Avatar

Associated Press: South Korea reacts to Yu Na Kim's win

An informative article on the cultural phenomenon that is Yu Na Kim in her home country:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...celebrates.ap/

For instance, did you know that stock trading in South Korea took a dip during the few minutes or so that Yu Na Kim was skating her short program? Apparently all the stockbrokers abandoned their money-grubbing to watch her skate. You can also see a picture of a massive crowd that gathered to watch her skate celebrates after she wins.

Edited to add: This article from Deutsche Presse-Agentur confirms that trading was halved during Yu Na's free skate as well.
    Last edited by DesertRoad; 02-26-2010 at 02:37 PM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by DesertRoad View Post
    An informative article on the cultural phenomenon that is Yu Na Kim in her home country:

For instance, did you know that stock trading in South Korea took a dip during the few minutes or so that Yu Na Kim was skating her short program? Apparently all the stockbrokers abandoned their money-grubbing to watch her skate. You can also see a picture of a massive crowd that gathered to watch her skate celebrates after she wins.

Edited to add: This article from Deutsche Presse-Agentur confirms that trading was halved during Yu Na's free skate as well.
    Holy Cow. That is pressure.

Incredible.

I do think that it has been hard people outside of Asia to understand just how BIG Yu Na Kim is in Korea. She's like Michael Phelps...no, I'd say she's BIGGER than Michael Phelps. Here in North America, I know it's hard to grasp that kind of...overwhelming sense. I know people throw around phrases like "the entire country behind him/her", but she literally had all of Korea watching her with bated breath last night. It's just incredible.

But the pressure...oh my. No wonder Yu Na Kim burst into tears after her free skate. She was probably just thrilled that she wasn't going to get massacred by an entire country later on if she'd done poorly!

Custom Title
    ^ I thought the tears were for finally conquering her own demons and rising to the occasion.

On the Ice
    Aw, that is awesome! Does anyone know if the North Koreans know who Kim is and what she has done at these Olympics?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Fan123 View Post
    Aw, that is awesome! Does anyone know if the North Koreans know who Kim is and what she has done at these Olympics?
    hardly doubt it. I remember reading a book by a Canadian journalist who were granted a visit in North Korea some time in the 80s. She showed her handler a photo of Elvis Presley, Princess Diana and Pope John Paul. The handler did not know who any of these were in the photos so isolated they were from the rest of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Wrlmy View Post
    ^ I thought the tears were for finally conquering her own demons and rising to the occasion.
    My comment was slightly tongue-in-cheek. Of course I'm sure that was a very personal, emotional moment for Yu Na. But I'm sure that some of them were just relief that she'd gotten through the program. Nothing glamorous in that.

Congratulations to Yu-Na for winning the Olympic gold medal! So well-deserved

She gave the 2 best performances of her life when she needed to deliver it the most!

I think she was really tearful after achieving her lifelong dream of being an Olympic champion and to have all the pressure of her shoulders!

She also delivered one of the best performances in the history of figure skating!!!! She was simply exquisite!!!!!!!

She had ease, speed, incredible musicality, great amplitude to all of her jumps, exquisite spins and the heart of a champion!

For me this was a win for herself, her mom, Korea, a redemption for Brian Orser and also for her idol Michelle Kwan! Michelle being the reason why she got into skating!

Go marry the quad if you love it so much DesertRoad's Avatar
    If anybody has more articles about how Yu Na Kim's is regarded in South Korea, please do post them! I find it fascinating from a sociological point of view. It's very rare that an athlete has this kind of pull in a country. I can't think of too many comparisons. Maybe Usain Bolt in Jamaica? It's even rarer for that athlete to be female. I think Yu Na may be the first woman to be in this kind of situation. It definitely merits studying.

"Hold an edge and look sexy!" museksk8r's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gymfan15 View Post
    I do think that it has been hard people outside of Asia to understand just how BIG Yu Na Kim is in Korea. She's like Michael Phelps...no, I'd say she's BIGGER than Michael Phelps. Here in North America, I know it's hard to grasp that kind of...overwhelming sense. I know people throw around phrases like "the entire country behind him/her", but she literally had all of Korea watching her with bated breath last night. It's just incredible.
    She's way bigger in Korea than Michael Phelps is in the USA. I've always heard that she's their hugest celebrity in any field, not just sports. My impression from hearing that is that her magnitude there is more like Oprah or Michael Jackson.
    Last edited by museksk8r; 02-28-2010 at 07:58 AM.

On the Ice
    Figure88, I don't understand what's there to be so defensive about? Isn't it good that Yuna is so loved? She certainly deserves every bit of it for the inspiration she brings to her country. You brought up Yoon-A, but I think while they are both popular, Yuna is also kinda worshipped in addition to being adored.

I guess to give people some comparisons to what I personally think Yuna's popularity is like in her country, I'd probably cite Michael Jordan in the States and Canadian Men's Hockey team after their victory today as examples.

skating philosopher
    So you think you have more authority than the Associated Press and the German Press Agency now? And I notice you also gloss over every anecdote in this thread from people who have been in South Korea that doesn't jibe with your opinion. You're in so, so much denial.
    Quote Originally Posted by Figure88 View Post
    They're Western sources--there are not only cutural but also language barrier that prevent them from reporting news in an unbiased fashion.

Uh, why would I be in denial? You;re forcing your own misconceptions down everyone's throat and I'm correcting you. What's your purpose on this board? You don't do anything here except stir animosity and controversy.
    First of all, why would westerners, or people from anywhere, be unable to determine who is the biggest celebrity in the country with a little journalistic investigation? Second of all, if you actually read the byline, you'd notice that the people who filed those reports had Korean names, and have filed many reports from Korea. Er, they may actually be Korean, dur. Those are reporters with actual sources, quotes, citations, statistics and interviews. What do you have to challenge their credibility besides racist assumptions? Facts may be upsetting, but the only controversy is in your mind.
    Yes, generally, the journalists who work for AP and other syndicated news sources are born-and-raised Koreans. They likely got their jobs because of that. So I don't know why you're questioning the source.

As an American who follows K-POP, it's clear Kim Yuna is a big deal. All the K-pop blogs I read have had several posts about Kim Yuna winning the OGM. And Kim Yuna has done CFs with pop groups, such as the Wonder Girls. (see: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbfSUtwL-Fo) And Kim Yuna had her own New Year's special last year on KBS2 that included a duet with Taeyeon of Girls' Generation, a very popular Korean girl group. (Figure 88 mentioned Yoona, who is a member of the same group.) see: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIz4Tn5gfl0

Custom Title

The photo of these old men watching figure skating is priceless. The celebrity of Yuna Kim in Korea is incomparable to anything in the US or Canada. It's not a fame of a loved movie star. Koreans love and protect Yuna like she is their own daughter, sister or grand-daughter. They feel nationalism through her as though she has landed on the mooon for the first time because they know she is single handedly breaking the trail in a sport where no other Korean has gone before. A sport where first world (Europe and the US) has excelled in throughout history. They are learning to love figure skating by watching her do it on the ice. They want to know everything about each piece of music she skates to and buy CD's of them. They take time to learn names of each jump she does. They admire her beauty and respect her athleticism. They are in love with her charism. It is almost like a cult of Yuna Kim. There is no one else to compare. Perhaps Pele of Soccer.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by aurora100 View Post
    The photo of these old men watching figure skating is priceless. .
    Exactly why this is just creepy, creepy....

Custom Title

And your point is? Yuna is considered a star in the S. Korea, but it's really no different from how US media obsesses over Lindsay Vonn or maybe Japan over Mao Asada.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast