Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Associated Press: South Korea reacts to Yu Na Kim's win

Go marry the quad if you love it so much DesertRoad's Avatar

Associated Press: South Korea reacts to Yu Na Kim's win

An informative article on the cultural phenomenon that is Yu Na Kim in her home country:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...celebrates.ap/

For instance, did you know that stock trading in South Korea took a dip during the few minutes or so that Yu Na Kim was skating her short program? Apparently all the stockbrokers abandoned their money-grubbing to watch her skate. You can also see a picture of a massive crowd that gathered to watch her skate celebrates after she wins.

Edited to add: This article from Deutsche Presse-Agentur confirms that trading was halved during Yu Na's free skate as well.
    Last edited by DesertRoad; 02-26-2010 at 02:37 PM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by DesertRoad View Post
    An informative article on the cultural phenomenon that is Yu Na Kim in her home country:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...celebrates.ap/

For instance, did you know that stock trading in South Korea took a dip during the few minutes or so that Yu Na Kim was skating her short program? Apparently all the stockbrokers abandoned their money-grubbing to watch her skate. You can also see a picture of a massive crowd that gathered to watch her skate celebrates after she wins.

Edited to add: This article from Deutsche Presse-Agentur confirms that trading was halved during Yu Na's free skate as well.
    Holy Cow. That is pressure.

Incredible.

I do think that it has been hard people outside of Asia to understand just how BIG Yu Na Kim is in Korea. She's like Michael Phelps...no, I'd say she's BIGGER than Michael Phelps. Here in North America, I know it's hard to grasp that kind of...overwhelming sense. I know people throw around phrases like "the entire country behind him/her", but she literally had all of Korea watching her with bated breath last night. It's just incredible.

But the pressure...oh my. No wonder Yu Na Kim burst into tears after her free skate. She was probably just thrilled that she wasn't going to get massacred by an entire country later on if she'd done poorly!

Custom Title
    ^ I thought the tears were for finally conquering her own demons and rising to the occasion.

On the Ice
    Aw, that is awesome! Does anyone know if the North Koreans know who Kim is and what she has done at these Olympics?

Quote Originally Posted by Wrlmy View Post
    ^ I thought the tears were for finally conquering her own demons and rising to the occasion.
    My comment was slightly tongue-in-cheek. Of course I'm sure that was a very personal, emotional moment for Yu Na. But I'm sure that some of them were just relief that she'd gotten through the program. Nothing glamorous in that.

Congratulations to Yu-Na for winning the Olympic gold medal! So well-deserved

She gave the 2 best performances of her life when she needed to deliver it the most!

I think she was really tearful after achieving her lifelong dream of being an Olympic champion and to have all the pressure of her shoulders!

She also delivered one of the best performances in the history of figure skating!!!! She was simply exquisite!!!!!!!

She had ease, speed, incredible musicality, great amplitude to all of her jumps, exquisite spins and the heart of a champion!

For me this was a win for herself, her mom, Korea, a redemption for Brian Orser and also for her idol Michelle Kwan! Michelle being the reason why she got into skating!

If anybody has more articles about how Yu Na Kim's is regarded in South Korea, please do post them! I find it fascinating from a sociological point of view. It's very rare that an athlete has this kind of pull in a country. I can't think of too many comparisons. Maybe Usain Bolt in Jamaica? It's even rarer for that athlete to be female. I think Yu Na may be the first woman to be in this kind of situation. It definitely merits studying.

I keep on fallin' for Kwan
    * I don't think even Michelle Kwan had that kind of "country gets together" love when she skated in Salt Lake. O____O

But then again South Korea is a small country. When you're from a small country you get noticed like you'll be noticed if you're from a small town.
    Last edited by Mathman; 02-26-2010 at 11:39 PM.

Er... what? South Korea is 25th in the world in population. It's got more people than Canada, Australia, Spain and Ukraine. It is not a small country. The country has plenty of superstar athletes already. Yu Na Kim's success there is unique and a phenomenon.

If anybody has more articles about how Yu Na Kim's is regarded in South Korea, please do post them! I find it fascinating from a sociological point of view.
    In related news, a Korean citizen was just arrested for threatening to bomb the Australian embassy, and there is a national movement afoot to boycott Australian goods, after an Australian referee disqualified the Korean ladies' speed skating team. (The ISU relieved him of further officiating duties for the rest of the games for his own safety.)

Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    In related news, a Korean citizen was just arrested for threatening to bomb the Australian embassy, and there is a national movement afoot to boycott Australian goods, after an Australian referee disqualified the Korean ladies' speed skating team. (The ISU relieved him of further officiating duties for the rest of the games for his own safety.)
    Not too surprised by that. After Korean hackers DOSed various Olympic and US websites after Ohno's win by a ref call in 2002. And luckily, no such ugliness is yet attached to Kim beyond the usual, harmless YouTube wars.

Not too surprised by that. After Korean hackers DOSed various Olympic and US websites after Ohno's win by a ref call in 2002.
    Interestingly enough, it was the same referee, James Hewish. I believe he served a two-year suspension from officiating at ISU events.

Banned
    Insane, obsessive and stupid. It's almost like they felt inferior until producing a Yu Na Kim.

Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    Interestingly enough, it was the same referee, James Hewish. I believe he served a two-year suspension from officiating at ISU events.
    He was suspended and they let him back? Looks like the ISU is just as corrupt on the speedskating side. But if his call was bad enough to warrant a suspension, shouldn't the gold medal have been given back to the Korean skater?

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast