Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Thread: Associated Press: South Korea reacts to Yu Na Kim's win

Custom Title
    I would like to provide my little comment while I have time. Sadly I've never been in Korea, but being fan of Yuna, I think I know some things about how the situation is going...

First of all, I'm absolutely sure that in case of not winning the gold nothing would change for Yuna in terms of endorsements. Koreans love her too much and her endorsements started to grow when she was winning only bronze medals, so I don't think there would be any problems with this. I don't know about the BoA case, but before the Olympics Nike released the series of promotional videos that criticized the pressure on her, so it seems that the companies were more on the side of Yuna in case of not winning. I don't get some of those articles which claim that in case of losing she would lose a lot of her endorsements. The other thing is that most of her contracts end this season because she may retire, but that always was like that.

The next thing is about whether Yuna has anti-fans... I'm not sure how much anti-fans she has now, but before she certainly had quite a lot. Right now probably they still exist, but they don't dare to show themselves. But before she received even some direct attacks from those anti-fans. She has a blog which is very popular in Korea that she started a lot of years ago and... Well, I don't want to dig into [color=red]*[/color][color=red]*[/color][color=red]*[/color][color=red]*[/color], but she received some incredible amount of hatred through that blog when she was much younger and not that famous. That YouTube videos are literally nothing comparing with what those people did to her and she had to deal with it personally. It's noteworthy that she never said a bad thing about her haters. She never called them idiots or something like this, she just stated that she doesn't understand the reason of that much hatred although it's absolutely normal that not everyone likes her.

I was really touched by that strong attitude. I can understand that some people can be annoyed by her commercials or how much her image is exploited by companies, but I don't understand how can someone hate that little girl who didn't do anything bad to anyone. Not just now, but when she had like 17 years and was much more vulnerable...

But she resisted it all and remained to be what she is. It's a bit sad that the real story of Yuna was never told to the Western audiences... It's very interesting story and not a typical one. It's not something about how she overcame like 1000 obstacles, it's rather about how a person that seems rather simple and usual can become something really special with work and a lot of optimism. Yuna was called a happy skater when she apparently had no reason to be happy.
    Last edited by Daniel5555; 03-04-2010 at 02:14 PM.

Tripping on the Podium
    A lot of things revolve around money and politics. Yu-Na would have been propped up, had she not won the gold. That is because the Korean companies and the skating authorities still need her for their advantage.

Right now, a similar thing is happening in Japan. There is a big faction in Japan which is arguing that Yu-Na somehow cheated to win the gold or Mao got cheated by the scoring system. They know that is not true. But, they need to prop Mao up to the populace, and they are doing a big media campaign about it. They have invested so much money on her. In addition to financial losses by the "spsonsors" and the authorities, the status of figure stating in Japan might be in jeopardy if the Mao project proved to be a "failure" by winning the silver.

Same story for Yu-Na. As long as she wants to stay in competitive skating, there will be people who keep her up despite any "perceived" failure.

On the Ice
    A Korean college professor, mr Song-DooHeon, who doesn’t know the Russian language, commented badly some overall situations of the figure skating in Russia after Vancouver Olympic and made a fool of himself based on the Google translator only - [URL="http://blog.daum.net/sadprince57/425"]http://blog.daum.net/sadprince57/425[/URL]. Is there any other country in the world, where it can be the theme for the college professor to comment badly upon in that way, i.e. by Google translator only ?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by watchvancouver View Post
    Insane, obsessive and stupid. It's almost like they felt inferior until producing a Yu Na Kim.
    What a politically incorrect reply!

Quote Originally Posted by Yogudin View Post
    A Korean college professor, mr Song-DooHeon, who doesn’t know the Russian language, commented badly some overall situations of the figure skating in Russia after Vancouver Olympic and made a fool of himself based on the Google translator only - [URL="http://blog.daum.net/sadprince57/425"]http://blog.daum.net/sadprince57/425[/URL]. Is there any other country in the world, where it can be the theme for the college professor to comment badly upon in that way, i.e. by Google translator only ?
    Please read the post above.

Plus, the site you linked is just a personal blog. Who cares?
    He is not the representative of Korea or anything.

Quote Originally Posted by bethissoawesome View Post
    A lot of it has to do with the celebrity culture there, which is also very similar in Japan. In Korea, celebrities are often lofted into very high positions politically as well... for example, Korean popstar BoA (best example I can give, because she was indisputably the most famous celebrity in Korea at a young age as well) served as cultural ambassador to the US at 15. Her fame in Korea became so astronomical, that she couldn't even live in the country and was unable to see her family for years at a time. Yu-Na is in a similar situation now... she has been put into the Korean spotlight, and they will expect a lot out of her. Unfortunately, it also doesn't take a whole lot for public opinion to change. When BoA announced she would release an album in the US instead of Korea one year, she lost all of her Korean endorsements except one, despite the fact that it seemed like people used to worship the ground she walked on. Hopefully, Yu-Na never finds herself in that position... if she had failed to medal, Korea's general opinion might have been along the lines of "she has been having too many photo shoot or press conferences to be taken seriously." The popularity Yu-Na has in Korea now is a very big burden; everything she does on or iff the ice will be disected and examined. Right now, she truly is their golden girl (and well deserved) and hopefully it stays that way.

Here is another article for you: [url]http://articles.latimes.com/2010/feb/11/sports/la-sp-olympics-kim11-2010feb11[/url] "Kim Yu-na has South Korea's full attention" from the Los Angeles Times
    BoA is not so popular in Korea as in Japan. You must have gotten all the information on Korean cultural phenomena from the Japanese media.
    Last edited by szidon; 03-11-2010 at 09:17 PM.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7