Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 94

Thread: Associated Press: South Korea reacts to Yu Na Kim's win

  1. #31
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    289
    Quote Originally Posted by DesertRoad View Post
    An informative article on the cultural phenomenon that is Yu Na Kim in her home country:

    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...celebrates.ap/

    For instance, did you know that stock trading in South Korea took a dip during the few minutes or so that Yu Na Kim was skating her short program? Apparently all the stockbrokers abandoned their money-grubbing to watch her skate. You can also see a picture of a massive crowd that gathered to watch her skate celebrates after she wins.

    Edited to add: This article from Deutsche Presse-Agentur confirms that trading was halved during Yu Na's free skate as well.
    And your point is? Yuna is considered a star in the S. Korea, but it's really no different from how US media obsesses over Lindsay Vonn or maybe Japan over Mao Asada.

  2. #32
    Rinkside
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by sunny0760 View Post
    Just want to add that Japanese have supported Asada Mao as enthusiastically as Koreans. Koreans would run for their money. I was surprised a lot to see how much Japanese media deal with Mao and figure skating. Excessive interest and collective obssession about victory in both countries? Maybe... but don't think that's so extraordinary. I read somewhere that Ando Miki had to apologize to Japanese people after Torino Olympics because Japanese values only Gold but is it not also hasty generalization? Did Andy Murray not say to UK people that he was sorry after losing in Australia?
    The skater who apologized in Japan was Midori Ito. She said something along the lines of, "Was silver okay?" But that was a long long time ago, and even at that time, her comment was regarded as a sad reflection of too much pressure. Sports media in Japan has been more cautious ever since.
    In addition, I would like to make it straight that it is blatantly false that the Japanese only value Gold. All the media in Japan here is congratulating Mao's achievenment as a silver medalist. Of course she had been stating that she would like to bring the best out of her at the Olys so it was a slight pity that she wasn't able to execute all her jump repertoire, but being the first lady to do 3 axels is still an acomplishment and the media in Japan emphasizes that in their post Olympic reports. They aren't so simple minded as to think or to say "only gold mattered, why didn't you do better? ".

  3. #33
    Go marry the quad if you love it so much DesertRoad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    646
    Quote Originally Posted by Figure88 View Post
    And your point is? Yuna is considered a star in the S. Korea, but it's really no different from how US media obsesses over Lindsay Vonn or maybe Japan over Mao Asada.
    You seriously think stock brokers in the US abandon the trading floor while Lindsey Vonn is competing to watch her ski? Or that the US president is going to meet with Vonn and her coach now? Please, let's not even compare Lindsey Vonn's level of fame to Yu Na's. If you're really going for an American example, you'd have to go back to Muhammed Ali for a sports star of Yu Na's magnitude.

  4. #34
    Dreaming and dancing Bennett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Watching the sunset
    Posts
    2,793
    I guess a part of the reason for this would be the Korea-Japan rivalry and an event like the Olympics has really a lot to do with the national pride.

    I guess that she will be legendary for decades in Korea for setting the world records at Oly. It's really exciting to watch a pioneer making his/her own way out of scratch and become not only the top of the world, but also the top of the FS history records. There have been many OG medalists, but setting world records at the Oly feels like not only beating the current rivals, but also beating the previous ones (I know the system is relatively new, but you know what I mean).

  5. #35
    Custom Title prettykeys's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    1,803
    Quote Originally Posted by DesertRoad View Post
    You seriously think stock brokers in the US abandon the trading floor while Lindsey Vonn is competing to watch her ski? Or that the US president is going to meet with Vonn and her coach now? Please, let's not even compare Lindsey Vonn's level of fame to Yu Na's. If you're really going for an American example, you'd have to go back to Muhammed Ali for a sports star of Yu Na's magnitude.
    ...and yet, I don't think even Muhammed Ali compares.

    I don't know if S. Korea's society just differs in its degree of adoration/obsession, or if the circumstances surrounding YuNa are unique. However, I really can't think of any athlete or celebrity who holds a country's attention like YuNa does for Koreans.

  6. #36
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    289
    You seriously think stock brokers in the US abandon the trading floor while Lindsey Vonn is competing to watch her ski? Or that the US president is going to meet with Vonn and her coach now? Please, let's not even compare Lindsey Vonn's level of fame to Yu Na's. If you're really going for an American example, you'd have to go back to Muhammed Ali for a sports star of Yu Na's magnitude.
    Are you an authority on this? I think you're over-exaggerating the phenomena and making it something that it's not. Like one posters above said she's one of the biggest stars right now, but there are other stars that are just as popular. Also, it's very common for a star's celebrity status in Korea to fade really fast, more like a fad. I think Lindsay Vonn is the appropriate equivalent, since she's the "it" girl of the moment.

  7. #37
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    289
    Quote Originally Posted by prettykeys View Post
    ...and yet, I don't think even Muhammed Ali compares.

    I don't know if S. Korea's society just differs in its degree of adoration/obsession, or if the circumstances surrounding YuNa are unique. However, I really can't think of any athlete or celebrity who holds a country's attention like YuNa does for Koreans.
    There are popular celebrities---yoon-a from SNSD, for instance.
    Last edited by Figure88; 02-28-2010 at 02:35 AM.

  8. #38
    Medalist
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    78
    Brian Orser hit the nail on the head when she compared Yuna to Princess Di, in terms of her popularity in Korea. I think it's actually quite common for a country's people to latch onto a young, beautiful (virginal?) female personality who comes to represent all the virtues of their country in their minds. And because sports (along with movies and pop music) are some of the most widely covered events in the world these days, it's not uncommon for athletes to become these national heroine figures. I'm sure there are probably some psych/sociology articles out there on the phenomenon. I'm reminded of Cathy Freeman of Australia, Gabriela Sabatini of Argentina, and to a lesser extent Inge de Bruijn of the Netherlands and Ana Ivanovic of Serbia.
    Last edited by sleepyjl; 02-28-2010 at 02:39 AM.

  9. #39
    Custom Title prettykeys's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    1,803
    Princess Diana did not sell Hauzen air conditioners and Samsung phones. Plus, I think she had quite a lot of critics from Great Britain; those who felt she had married into the royal family for its status, those who felt she wasn't a good wife to Prince Charles, etc.

  10. #40
    Go marry the quad if you love it so much DesertRoad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    646
    Quote Originally Posted by Figure88 View Post
    Are you an authority on this? I think you're over-exaggerating the phenomena and making it something that it's not. Like one posters above said she's one of the biggest stars right now, but there are other stars that are just as popular. Also, it's very common for a star's celebrity status in Korea to fade really fast, more like a fad. I think Lindsay Vonn is the appropriate equivalent, since she's the "it" girl of the moment.
    I'm the one citing articles and statistics, you're the one with a big, fat, dripping zilch to back yourself up. We have this thing called the internet now. You can only fudge trivial facts, not the big, zeitgeist-shaping phenomenon. And please, stop trying to make Lindsey Vonn happen. It's not going to happen.

  11. #41
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    289
    Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjl View Post
    Brian Orser hit the nail on the head when she compared Yuna to Princess Di, in terms of her popularity in Korea. I think it's actually quite common for a country's people to latch onto a young, beautiful (virginal?) female personality who comes to represent all the virtues of their country in their minds. And because sports (along with movies and pop music) are some of the most widely covered events in the world these days, it's not uncommon for athletes to become these national heroine figures. I'm sure there are probably some psych/sociology articles out there on the phenomenon. I'm reminded of Cathy Freeman of Australia, Gabriela Sabatini of Argentina, and to a lesser extent Inge de Bruijn of the Netherlands and Ana Ivanovic of Serbia.
    I don't think Princess Di is really the equivalent. Maybe, Orser made the comparison because of all paparazzi she attracts.

    The poster above who actually lives in Korea now will probably give everyone an accurate idea of Yuna's celebrity status.

  12. #42
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    289
    Quote Originally Posted by DesertRoad View Post
    I'm the one citing articles and statistics, you're the one with a big, fat, dripping zilch to back yourself up. We have this thing called the internet now. You can only fudge trivial facts, not the big, zeitgeist-shaping phenomenon. And please, stop trying to make Lindsey Vonn happen. It's not going to happen.
    You're just reading off articles from the internet. Do you actually live in S. Korea now?
    Last edited by Figure88; 02-28-2010 at 02:59 AM.

  13. #43
    Custom Title prettykeys's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    1,803
    Figure88, I think you're getting a tad too defensive. DesertRoad or Mathman are sharing things as they see or hear them...

  14. #44
    Go marry the quad if you love it so much DesertRoad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    646
    Quote Originally Posted by Figure88 View Post
    You're reading off articles from the internet. Do you actually live in S. Korea now?
    So you think you have more authority than the Associated Press and the German Press Agency now? And I notice you also gloss over every anecdote in this thread from people who have been in South Korea that doesn't jibe with your opinion. You're in so, so much denial.

  15. #45
    Desperate Mouse Killer kandidy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Tokyo
    Posts
    814
    Japanese also put too much pressure on their athletes.
    I heard that the cameramans and reporters from other countries came to the rink coliseum 12 hours before the event, just to found that the Japanese reporters were sleeping at the rink since last night to get the best spot for taping and photographs.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •