Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Most Pleasant Surprise from Vancouver 2010??

Custom Title

Most Pleasant Surprise from Vancouver 2010??

We all had our expectations and hopes for these games, but surely there were lots of events and situations that few saw coming but were greatly welcomed... What were yours??

For me, I'd Say :

* Evora/Ladwig beating D&B and having the best competition of their careers.
    * Pang& Tong's silver medal, after everything pointed out to them being left off the podium again, they gave us a memorable performance and finally receive the olympic glory they were denied 4 years ago.
    *Adrian's Schultheiss having the skate of his life, landing everything including the QUAD! , perhaps he should be the real men's olympic champion??
    *JOhnny Weir skating 2 really solid and heartfelt programs since 2006. He almost made me a fan.
    *All the youngsters doing much better than lots of veterans who came as contenders. Big yay"" for Cheltzie, Ming-Jung , Florent and Javi.
    *After a crappy season, Rochette's having the physical and emotional strength to overcome her tragedy and give the best. truly remarkable. The first time I cried watching FS.

it's olympic season :D bethissoawesome's Avatar
    -Johnny Weir's 2 clean programs... best I've seen him skate in ages!
    -Joannie Rochette taking a medal despite her personal tragedy.
    -Mao skating a clean SP and landing all of her 3A's
    -Yu-Na skating 2 clean programs since... I can't even remember when
    -Mirai taking 4th place
    -Shen/Zhao's gold in pairs.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by SamuraiKike View Post
    We all had our expectations and hopes for these games, but surely there were lots of events and situations that few saw coming but were greatly welcomed... What were yours??

For me, I'd Say :

* Evora/Ladwig beating D&B and having the best competition of their careers.
    * Pang& Tong's silver medal, after everything pointed out to them being left off the podium again, they gave us a memorable performance and finally receive the olympic glory they were denied 4 years ago.
    *Adrian's Schultheiss having the skate of his life, landing everything including the QUAD! , perhaps he should be the real men's olympic champion??
    *JOhnny Weir skating 2 really solid and heartfelt programs since 2006. He almost made me a fan.
    *All the youngsters doing much better than lots of veterans who came as contenders. Big yay"" for Cheltzie, Ming-Jung , Florent and Javi.
    *After a crappy season, Rochette's having the physical and emotional strength to overcome her tragedy and give the best. truly remarkable. The first time I cried watching FS.
    Evora/Ladwig, I had doubt about this team prior to the Olympics but they proved me wrong.
    Mirai Nagasu, I thought she couldn't place higher than Flatt and she proved me wrong.
    Rachael and Mirai will bring back 3 spots for the US.

Medalist
    Daisuke Takahashi taking the bronze in the men's competition. As I said in another thread, I was just hoping that he would make the top 10, considering his comeback from an injury and his less than perfect performances in the Grand Prix series earlier this season. I was so happy to see him make the podium. I know that there were some people who were distressed that he did not receive a gold medal due to his quad. But I can't get upset with that b/c Daisuke came so far just to get that bronze. I guess I'm going to do a Putin here, but his bronze is worth gold to me. I will never forget his 2 performances in the short and the long. His fall on the quad in the long will not deter me from treasuring his free skate.

I hope that he gives us even more great performances at the upcoming Worlds this year and next....
    Last edited by dorispulaski; 02-28-2010 at 12:49 PM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by bethissoawesome View Post
    -Mirai taking 4th place
    Everything you mentioned, plus Ademption's points about Takahashi. Daisuke was the one I was rooting for coming in, and he did not disappoint. Yes, his bronze is like gold for him, considering the shape he was in after his injury. I feel no disappointment for him, only admiration and gratitude for his giving us two such lovely skates, and showing that you can do the quad and be an artist at the same time. The ladies you cite were all breathtaking, completely satisfying to watch, and it's so great that Shen and Zhao made it to the top of the podium at last. The one thing I'd add would be Virtue and Moir's free dance. I literally couldn't believe what I was seeing when I watched their performance. One or two of the lifts made me wonder whether they were subject to the laws of gravity. All in all, a most satisfying Olympics. And Mirai gives us so much to look forward to in American ladies' skating!

Custom Title
    Adrians's 4T!!!

he is the first northen european men who can land a quad.

"Hold an edge and look sexy!" museksk8r's Avatar
    Most pleasant surprises were:
    Yu-Na skating a clean competition!
    Joannie & Johnny skating 2 solid programs!
    Mirai receiving no downgrades on her jumps in both programs!

Quote Originally Posted by bethissoawesome View Post
    -Mirai taking 4th place
    I agree with all you choices. I was so so happy with everything Shen/Zhao did to earn their gold, and their reaction when they found out they had won, all those emotions. Johnny's programs, he brought back that air he had when he was skating to Rondo C. and Otonal, that subtle strenght and elegant musicality, I was moved to tears. Also Daisuke, who I think had the most gorgeous programs in the men's field, that FS of his is just magical. Mao's strenght n her 3 axels, I was happy for her. Yuna was just sublime, and her reaction in the podium, I think she surprised even herself. Joannie showed us how strong she is, and my heart went for her. she made her mother proud. And Mirai-chan, such a fantastical skater, talented and hardworking, showed that she will work through anything to improve, and as she does that, her natural artistry is starting to bloom. I can't wait to see what's next for her.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by yangjie View Post
    Adrians's 4T!!!

he is the first northen european men who can land a quad.
    Joubert and Verner?

Anyhow I'd say some highlights were:

-Yu Na going clean and being spectacular
    -Mao doing her three 3a
    -Joannie doing so well and being inspirational
    -Evan skating so well and winning the title
    -Johnny's beautiful programs
    -Mirai coming in 4th and going clean and getting no downgrades
    -The great skates by young up and comers: men- Brezina, Kozuka, Fernandez, Borodulin, Ten, Chan ladies - Nagasu, Kwak, Hecken, Lee

Custom Title
    all skating was nice-

Rooting for the divas with Kwanford Spun Silver's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fairly4 View Post
    all skating was nice-
    You're in a good mood today!

To answer the question: Min-Jung Kwak!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Spun Silver View Post
    You're in a good mood today!

To answer the question: Min-Jung Kwak!
    Love her! She's one to watch, reminds me a lot of Christina Gao from the US who is also skyrocketing and I hope will do very well at senior events next year! Will Kwak go to senior worlds in march?

Evan's win. OMG nothing compared to that bit of emotion and drama. And to think I almost decided to go to bed after he skated because the outcome was pretty much decided... so glad I made it!

Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle View Post
    Evan's win. OMG nothing compared to that bit of emotion and drama. And to think I almost decided to go to bed after he skated because the outcome was pretty much decided... so glad I made it!
    I have to agree especially after so many "experts" here predicted Evan would not make the top 5 in the deepest Men's field in history.
    It was a stunning victory and a credit to Evan's hard work, competitive abilty and Carroll's coaching.

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle View Post
    And to think I almost decided to go to bed after he skated because the outcome was pretty much decided... so glad I made it!
    And so..why you didnt send ME to bed Miss?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast